The Jinx Finale Recap: Just Desserts

The Jinx Robert Durst Confronted Letters Finale Recap

Until this weekend, being Robert Durst was a pretty good thing.

Despite his definite involvement in the dismemberment — if not death — of a Texas man, and his suspected involvement in the deaths of two other people (including Durst’s wife, Kathleen), the New York real estate scion had remained a free man for decades.

Then he agreed to take part in HBO’s docu-series The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst. And that one decision may prove his undoing.

SINCE LAST WE SPOKE | The series’ penultimate episode ended with a shocker. Berman’s surrogate son, now an adult who had maintained Durst’s innocence, contacted producers Andrew Jarecki and Marc Smerling with what seemed like damning evidence: a handwritten envelope, from Durst to Berman, where the handwriting and misspelling of “Beverley” in Beverly Hills directly matched an anonymous note sent to the police department in the wake of her murder.

So the finale primarily consists of Smerling and Jarecki trying to pin Durst down for one final interview, at which they can confront him with the similarities between the two missives. But, Bob being Bob, he evades, lies, and even gets arrested — for violating an order of protection put out by his scared brother, Douglas.

And that’s the filmmakers’ in: Bob’s lawyers want help in defending their client from Douglas’ charges, so they comply… and all of a sudden, Bob’s willing to talk with them again.

THE FINAL SHOWDOWN | Jarecki eases Durst into reminiscing about the past by showing him old photos from his life, then produces the incriminating letter and its envelope. Aside from some odd burping, Durst seems unfazed by everything, claiming that he wrote the note to Susan but not the cadaver note. And he won’t move from that certainty.

However, after the cameras stop rolling, Bob wears his microphone into the bathroom, where —seemingly unaware that the audio is still being recorded —  he utters some very suspicious things to himself. (Full transcript below.)

“There it is. You’re caught. You’re right, of course. But, you can’t imagine. Arrest him. [Sound of running water.] I don’t know what’s in the house. Oh, I want this. What a disaster. He was right. I was wrong. And the burping. [Sound of retching.] I’m having difficulty with the question.”

“What the hell did I do?” he wonders aloud. “Killed them all, of course.”

Allow me to I invoke the reaction of former Westchester County District Attorney Jeanine Pirro earlier in the episode when I say, Jesus.

A real-life postscript to the series came a day before its finale aired, when Durst was arrested in New Orleans on charges of first-degree murder in Berman’s death.

“We simply cannot say enough about the brilliant job that Andrew Jarecki and Marc Smerling did in producing The Jinx,” HBO said in a statement. “Years in the making, their thorough research and dogged reporting reignited interest in Robert Durst’s story with the public and law enforcement.”

What did you think of The Jinx‘s final episode? Sound off in the comments!

1. Detective OJ says:

He so did it…but they could have laid off the “open mike” gag a bit; Frank Dreben did it much better in The Naked Gun.

2. Missy Kelly says:

Brilliant filmmaking! Awards all around. Kudo to Nevins for her talent of picking fascinating subject matter and filmmakers brave enough to see it through,

Don’t know what will happen with Durst but I live in LA and get called for jury duty quite often.

3. tipswatch says:

Smerling and Jarecki should win an Emmy, Golden Globe, Peabody, Oscar, maybe a Nobel Prize. An amazing piece of work. Investigative journalism at its best. Documentary film-making at its best. Brave. True. Epic.

4. Sad Panda says:

I have chills and my eyes started to water as soon as I heard “you’re caught.” Does he have split personalities? It was like two different people were having a conversation. (Or maybe he knew he was caught and did the open mic bit [again] for his defense if he was arrested?) Guess we’ll have a chance to find out in the future days/months.

• Tim says:

I think he was talking to his lawyers in his mind, they probably told him he could incriminate himself if he agreed to these interviews and Durst was saying, You were right!

• chelebub says:

I also thought it sounded like text book multiple personality disorder and simultaneously wondered if he did it on purpose, He seems very calculated like that,

• Mallary Skidmore says:

When I heard it I immediately thought it sounded like a conversation between the side of himself that wants to be caught “Oh I want this.” and the side that does not “What a disaster, he was right I was wrong” and I said to myself, it is like he has multiple personalities. If I were his defense I would pursue it. Jaw dropping TV, deserves an emmy.

5. Maggie says:

The ending was a stunner. I hope he rots in jail for the rest of his pathetic life.

6. brigitte says:

Awesome. I hope they found what puts this arrogant jerk away.

7. Thomas says:

He knew the microphone was on. This guy is smart. If you listen to it he is setting up a split personality defense. He answers his own questions. The non remembering side ask the question “what did I do?”. The rational personal that he walks around with and is at that moment comes to the same answer we all do “I (he) killed them all”. Brilliant, he was tipped off somehow about the letter, and he purposely set his own defense. A great attorney like he had in the Black trial will have him covered.

8. I only hope the upcoming case is covered in detail. Regardless of the outcome, it’s absolutely fascinating he remained free all of these years. The case in Galveston and the resulting discussions with jurors to this day are mind boggling. Robert Durst’s cases alone could instigate a deep look into the way court proceedings are conducted and whether we’re doing them properly. Something just doesn’t add up when, years later, people can look at this man and truly think he was set up. I could watch that all day long.

9. Lcs says:

The sharpest doc I’ve ever seen . Filmmaking at its best. The last 5 minutes had me talking back to the screen ( omg, you’re done Durst, get him and FINALLY ) hoping Justice will prevail

10. Susan says:

He did not say arrest him. He said, “but you can’t imagine! The rest of them

• Baldheadjames says:

I think you’re right I was listening in my headphones and he clearly says “the rest of them”! Who else did he kill!

11. Susan says:

Robert durst
    There it is
    Your caught
    Your right of course
    But you can’t imagine …the rest of them
    I don’t know what’s in the house!
    Oh I want this!
    What a disaster
    He was right
    I was wrong
    And the burping
    I am having difficulty with the question
    What the hell am I gonna do