Oliver Hudson Joins Scream Queens, Replacing Joe Manganiello

After terrorizing the queens of country music on ABC’s Nashville, Oliver Hudson will next find himself among Ryan Murphy’s Scream Queens on Fox — but there’s a twist!

Hudson is taking over the role originally intended for True Blood‘s Joe Manganiello, our sister site Deadline reports, who had to pull out to do a hectic schedule of promoting Magic Mike XXL overseas. Hudson’s casting won’t impede his role on Nashville, which was only contracted for one year to begin with.

Earlier this week, former Mulaney star Nasim Pedrad joined the cast of the comedy-horror anthology, which already boasts the likes of Jamie Lee Curtis (NCIS), Emma Roberts (American Horror Story), Lea Michele (Glee), Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine) and Keke Palmer (Masters of Sex).

Your thoughts on Scream Queens‘ surprising switcheroo? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. al says:

Not to be mean, but thats kinda of a huge downgrade

2. CAN says:

Does that mean we get rid of his sorry butt on Nashville?

• H says:

Yep. ABC wouldn’t have this unless he’s free.
      I was kinda shocked Manganiello would do this in the first place. His movie career is blossoming, he just came off a long running tv show commitment and lamented losing movie roles because of it. It looked like a downgrade. And a Hail Mary for lea Michelle.

• Madison M. says:

I would hardly call Magic Mike sequels “blossoming”. If anything, this could have raised his profile and he is likely lamenting not being available to do it. Meanwhile, I’m not sure why this is a Hail Mary for Lea Michele given she is coming off a long running series and already has a new job.

All in all, your comment is a downgrade, from common sense.

• ey says:

Common sense suggests that since he is heavily rumored to soon be added to the DC Suicide Squad movie in a key role as Deathstroke along with the fact that he has a couple of other movies being filmed soon, that at the very least he will have an opportunity to have a better film career than you acknowledging.

Not that you’ll agree with that. You seem to be all about looking down on others.

3. ed says:

i thought joe was an odd choice for this to begin with, so this makes sense.

4. Ashbash says:

As much as I love to look at Joe Manganiello I absolutely adore Oliver Hudson and think that this show might be a better fit for him than it would have been for Joe. I’m really intrigued about this show because this pilot has had some of the most random castings which makes me think this might turn into a pretty great show or a complete hot mess.

• Lauren says:

It’s a Ryan Murphy show. Which means it’ll have an amazing first season. Season 2 will seem like they’ve started to loose their mojo. And seasons 3-5 will be complete train wrecks heading in 62 random directions

• Amy says:

Agree. And could they have chosen a crappier photo of Oliver? There are MUCH better ones out there

5. Amy says:

“Jamie Lee Curtis (NCIS)” – is NCIS really what JLC is best known for now? Man… I must be getting old.

6. Jay says:

Is that a particularly unflattering photo or has Oliver Hudson really aged?

• MP says:

That’s not a great picture, but he’s also aged poorly. I remember swooning over him in his Dawson’s Creek days. He’s a handsome guy.

7. Kat says:

Oliver Hudson is way more appropriate for Ryan Murphy. They deserve each other.

8. K says:

Oh so the report that Joe would be leaving to do Suicide Squad was correct

9. Not surprised at this news. I’m sorry just my opinion but from the look and sound of things so far this show seems stupid. Maybe I will be wrong we shall see. Of course ryan hires lea michele she is his favorite person glee is basically about her. I’m sorry she is not the best actor in my opinion she did ok in glee because the part was witten for her. Sorry I know the article was not about her just had to get it off my chest.

10. Matthew B Lawler says:

Joe was one of the main reasons I was looking forward to this show this news is highly disappointing

11. Jrs says:

Good move. Manganielli is a wretched actor! He bored me to tears every scene he was in on True Blood. Just brought the scene down every time.

12. Mark says:

Pick between a Ryan Murphy show and DC movie what do you think you’re going to pick

13. tsevca says:

I like him better than Manganiello, so I´m fine with it.