Kerry Washington to Play Anita Hill in HBO's Clarence Thomas Movie

Emmy Nominations 2014

Portraying one of the most polarizing women ever to testify before the United States Supreme Court? It’s handled.

Scandal‘s Kerry Washington will play Anita Hill in Confirmation, HBO’s upcoming movie about the scandal surrounding Clarence Thomas’ appointment to the nation’s highest court, per The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED HBO Streaming Service to Debut on Apple TV, in Time for Game of Thrones

Confirmation will chronicle Thomas’ 1991 confirmation hearings, which became top news when Hill — a lawyer who had worked as an adviser to the judge at the Department of Education and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission — was called upon to testify about reports he had sexually harassed her.

Susannah Grant (Erin BrockovichParty of Five) will write and executive-produce the project; other EPs include Washington, Michael London and Janice Williams (Astronaut Wives Club). Rick Famuyiwa (DopeBrown Sugar) reportedly is in talks to direct.

1. Tim says:

I read Anita Hill’s biography. Thomas Clarence is a disgusting pig.

• Robert says:

I totally agree and the fact that he was appointed to the Supreme court, still bothers me.

• Lizo says:

Most sexual assaulters and rapists rarely see any consequences for their actions, whether they be professional, legal or social. So I’m not surprised.

• IMHO says:

I watched the Senate Hearings and Anita Hill’s testimony and Clarence Thomas still makes my skin crawl .
      However the most horrifying thing is he received a Lifetime Appointment to the Supreme Court .
      Sickening truly sickening.
      I am looking forward to seeing Kerry Washington’s performance as Anita Hill.

• Bob Backus says:

After Clinton, does this really matter anymore?

2. Cookie says:

Kerry knows she has major competition between Viola and Taraji so she’s making sure she has other categories opened for her come award season. lol

• Lizo says:

A wonderful side benefit for her! Which is smart, a project like this will likely get a win moreso than Scandal – while I love it and think Washington is BAMF in it, is kinda soapy for “Emmy standards”

• Paula says:

Well, she has been nominated for Scandal and once you are nominated I think you always have a chance. I want to see how the writers incorparate Oliva’s PTSD through out the rest of the season. But I also agree that there is a greater possiblity for winning an Emmy with her movie for HBO.

3. Paloma says:

You do know that Anita Hill testified before the United States Senate during Clarence Thomas’s confirmation hearings and NOT before the Supreme Court, right? Your version sounds sexier but never happened.

4. Lizo says:

Grant is an excellent writer so this makes me feel optimistic that the subject matter will be handled really well.

5. Bella says:

Anita Hill was very ambitious and landed herself a professorship at a law school she never would have earned otherwise. Her allegations were never backed up by anyone else, no other woman ever made similar complaints. She never brought them up before, including when he was being considered for and won other judge positions. There were numerous inconsistencies in her testimony, major ones and her lack of credibility is why he got confirmed. I can’t believe they’re dredging up this BS again. You read her book, distribution you read his? I read both. And watched the hearings. She’s the disgusting one, a mediocre lawyer who got where she is by smearing another person.

• Trista says:

Bella – thanks for your comment. It irritates me that women look up to Anita Hill. I hope that this movie will not be one-side and make her out to be some kind of hero. I do believe that she lied or embellished the contact in order to target Thomas politically. It offends me that black conservative men and women are silenced by Democrats with political and personal agendas.

• Amen, Bella and Trista! I knew Judge Thomas personally and he was and is a great man. I didn’t need to watch the hearings but did anyway. And her testimony disgusted me. Lie after un-corroborated lie. Thank God he was cleared of all those unsubstantiated charges and exhonorated. Now the corrupt left is trying to re-write history. So sad. Boycott HBO!