Teen Wolf's Tyler Hoechlin Exits as Series Regular Ahead of Season 5

Teen Wolf Derek Leaving

While most of Teen Wolf‘s upcoming fifth season remains a mystery, one thing is clear: Scott’s pack will be down one (major) member when the supernatural MTV drama returns.

Tyler Hoechlin decided he wanted more time to pursue movies,” executive producer Jeff Davis tells BuzzFeed. “We talked and creatively agreed that maybe this was a good season to refocus on the teens of Teen Wolf, and while he won’t be a series regular anymore, I can say that you probably won’t have seen the last of Derek Hale. We love him and miss him.”

Most fans could see the writing on the wall; Season 4 witnessed a major shift towards the newer, younger cast members. And save for a major moment in the season finale, in which Derek “evolved” into a black wolf, his character has largely been relegated to a background player. (No one is more disappointed by this news than Braeden.)

Teen Wolf fans, on a scale from one to devastated, how are you coping with the loss of Derek Hale? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the show’s Hoech-less future below.

1. Cousin O'yaya says:

the fans who ship him and Dylan O’brian’s characters are going to riot, winter is coming to tumblr

• Ashley says:

As a huge shipper of them, my disappointment in this news is greater impacted by the fact that I liked Derek as a character, and his development over the seasons. At this point, most shippers live inside fandom world anyways with art and fanfic. Everyone I’ve seen is upset about the character being drastically reduced over the seasons, and going into season five with him not a series regular (which obviously doesn’t take him out of the equation completely), we’re upset about him potentially not appearing at all now. Not everything boils down to shipping, even with Sterek shippers.

• Tracy says:

Wait, are you serious? Most fans of this pairing have been rooting for Hoechlin to get off this sinking ship of a show.

• Actually, I’m more sad than angry… Sad because Tyler Hoechlin is a really amazing actor and he plays a wonderful Derek Hale.
      I don’t know why people put all the Sterek shippers in the same bag, as other people do for Directionners… No, Sterek shippers are not only stupid girls who gonna hate Tyler now that he decides to think to his own career and to let “TW” a little bit aside. He is Tyler, and I like him for his amazing actor work. Not for a stupid ship.

• Janira says:

How would you know that i am a sterek shipper and yet yeah im sad hes gone but thats only because he was my fav character and that was before i even shipped sterek and u cant blame everything on the ship and i find that offensive that u would call us stupid and call it a stupid ship so keep your hate to yourself i am glad for him im not angry thats hes gone and i dont hate him hes one of my favorite actors so think before u post pls not every shipper is like that thank you and goodbye

• Oh Jesus says:

Actually, 90% of Sterek shipper are throwing parties.
      This show is a train wreck and Hoechlin got an horrible treatement since the moment he was put in a corner and given horrid storyline without characterization and 10 minutes screentime per season.
      Derek Hale was basically out of the door since 3A, and he and Stiles weren’t even allowed in the same room if not one single time in every finale – because teen wolf is full of cowards and the only thing they care about are the (sinking) ratings.
      So I don’t know what you think Sterek shipper should riot for.
      Derek was a beautiful character on his own, and Hoech is an actor that deserves screentime and actual lines, not just to be used as eye candy.
      And the fact that this show is killing itself with its own hands is really not in our concerns.

• Sophie says:

Well said!

• Paula says:

I’m giving you a large standing ” O ” for that comment… Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth!

• kirsten says:

Exactly, and as soon as they started copying ‘sterek’ scenes with derek and jennifer I was questioning it but when derek and braeden were a thingand stiles got with malia I knew sterek was never gonna happen :/

• Jaylen Thimas says:

Oh. Thanks for saying that. It really opened my mind for him leaving. I will go put away my pitchfork. I hope he does get a really good role for a movie somewhere else. He is a really good actor that does deserve a great role.

• Brenda says:

Lol its Dylan O’Brien

• Hannah Stewart says:

I am dead. Derek needs to come back please I love him. Plus he need to marry stiles.

2. BrittBrat says:

I’m going to miss him and his character. He was my Teen Wolf eye candy!!!! At least he won’t completely disappear for a little while.

3. Steven says:

I’m actually glad he won’t be around as much. His character hasn’t really been necessary since season 2. I’m also glad this will quiet the annoying Sterek shippers who contort everything in the show into some elaborate romance that doesn’t exist.

• Lizo says:

But the fanfiction is sooooo good. I admit, when I started watching TW I was ready for all the Stiles/Derek gay subtext….and found almost none. I was shocked that such a large ship had almost zero canon support. That said, the fanfic for this ship is some of the best writing you can read today, exploring truly unique and complicated stories and identities. The show is worth it purely for the fanfic. I stopped watching after season 2, but I still read the fic.

• Okay, to be honest, I saw a lot of angry fangirls trying to get Shelley Hennig off the show. So while not all Sterek shippers are crazy, a LOT of them are not only crazy but bitter and aggressive.

• Oh Jesus says:

Shelley is getting a lot of flack because of the things that she says, like the punching = love.
          And I wonder why Sterek shippers would be bitter. Really, why?
          Oh wait, perhaps it’s the whole “Sterek might happen” “vote for this” “Vote for that” ?
          And then the insults and erasure?
          Yeah, might be that in my opinion.

• Darla says:

The fanfic is AMAZING. I just started the show, borrowed the dvds, because of it. I have to go with the fanfic over the show any day.

• K says:

LOL, oh please. You think Derek not being on the show is going to stop Sterek shippers?

• eva says:

Many shippers have long since given up on the actual show, whose quality has steadily been falling since the end of season 2. These days, whatever your opinion on Sterek, you’re more likely to find quality, COHESIVE stories on fanfiction websites than on actual Teen Wolf, which at this point is just one big plothole full of underdeveloped characters.

• Mici Angels says:

Man, I can’t stop agreeing with you. I’m one of those shippers that don’t watch TW anymore, I actually stopped at season 3 ep 20 (I think) when Stalia happened. Teen Wolf these days just throws random characters and romances and expects people to accept them. The original crew from season 1 and 2 were the best, with no Kira, Malia and whoever comes in later seasons….

• Chand says:

I honestly thought that I was the inly person who felt that way abut the show. God, the show is awful. But the writing…It has inspired such amazing stuff. And I honestly love that.

• Mouse says:

Sterek shippers gave up on this show a looong time ago and most of them are happy he’s finally left this trainwreck. You also wouldn’t even have this show if it wasn’t for Teen Wolf using the Sterek ship to begin with so I hope the show sinks like it deserves to.

• Sophie says:

Without the STEREK fans this show will sink faster than the Titanic! They’re damn quick to call on STEREK fans when they want to win a poll or award!

• Sterek says:

Excuse me sterek is true love.

4. Jak napisałem we wstępie, mieszkanie warto kupić wtedy, kiedy jest tanie.

5. Sara says:

Season 4 was a little too much new faces “instantly” part of the pack and longer-term pack members fringed. A little too glib, a little Lame. Where’s intra-pack loyalty & pecking order? How can you stick around when the (writers’) focus is clearly taking easier road of new character intros vs interesting existing character development. I liked Liam and Parrish development but I don’t have a lot of expectations for Season 5 especially now without Derek. Maybe the hardest part is that the newbies are all a little too fluffy and cute compared to the substance and grrrr of the older pack. Jeff Davis a little light too?

6. Hi there, this weekend is nice in support of me, for the reason that this time i am reading this fantastic educational piece of writing here at my house.

7. Jamie Propst says:

I dunno. I mean, honestly, I saw Derek Hale as the de factor mentor to Scott. He was to Scott as Merlin was to King Aurthur. And at the same time this season I was hoping that a side story could have focused on his transformation into the fully formed wolf. But alas. I guess as long as he’s not TOTALLY out of the show I’ll drink the bitter Kool-Aid

8. Kathy says:

That show is over for me. Derek was my favorite character as played by Hoechlin. I have no doubt Derek will be shown in wolf form since they showed bts pics of the wolf but I won’t be holding my breath to wait to see Hoechlin as I’m pretty sure we won’t see him ever. I’m also skeptical about this being his decision; he didn’t say anything himself.

9. Lizo says:

Writing is on the wall for the show’s end. The day Dylan decides he’s done is the day the show is done. This will be a major blow to viewership.

• Skittles&Bits says:

I agree 100%. He’s exceptional–pretty much the only saving grace of the 4B arc. His performance as the villain and as scared straight Stiles made me realize he’s not long for this show; he’s too good for such mediocrity.

• Lizo says:

He’s taken the time on TW to really hone his acting skills. And I appreciate that he hasn’t left yet, not biting the hand that fed him and all that. But I suspect he’ll only do two more seasons

• safi says:

I swear that is so true

• b says:

he probably will be leaving for the Maze Runner series

10. Shaun says:

How can Scotts pack lose so many members and survive?He lost the twins,Dereks sister,Euro traveller,2 killed by Alphas.Can we have an actual Pack this season?

11. It really says something about the people who run this show when this is 5th actor to bail out in under 2 years & the 2nd series regular to jump ship. I was getting fed up with the show’s lameness & lack of character development but now no Derek, um yea its to the DVR graveyard for me.

12. Shniee says:

OMG I AM SO ANGRY/SAD DEREK/TYLER IS LEAVING I CAN’T HANDLE IT HE WAS ON OF THE BEST CHARCTERS IN TEEN WOLF AND HE WAS ONE OF THE ORIGINAL CAST MEMBERS WHICH WAS AWESOME BECAUSE THERE ARE ALOT OF NEW FACES BUT I JUST WISH HE WOULD STAY FOREVER… YEAH HE’S A GREAT ACTOR BUT HE’S A GREAT WEREOWOLF TOO WHY CANT HE JUST STAY AND EXPLORE TEEN WOLF MORE WHY DOES HE HAVE TO LEAVE… WERE ALL GONNA MISS YOU TYLER
    P.S is ihe still gonna be on it sometimes or just not at all cause this article doesn’t really explain it well
    Love you Tyler hoechlin and Derek hale ❤️😘😍💔

• safi says:

Well he’s gonna be there but not as a regular

• Phoebe says:

Tyler needs to leave this show Jeff Davis has marginalized his character and insulted Tyler by treating him and reducing him to the role of an extra. He is far better than some mediocre, poorly written and conceived show for teenagers. True fans of Tyler wish him nothing but well and look forward to seeing him in movies and worthwhile television projects.

13. Sabrina says:

I’m very surprised by this news as Derek was one of my favourite characters on the show. This makes me less interested in season 5.

14. Aria says:

It’s pretty sad, because I really loved the character of Derek Hale and he was very much in the background for far too long. And now this… Teen Wolf is quickly losing it’s appeal to me since a lot of original cast has left and it’s only progressing with Hoechlin. There is just too many new faces for Season 5. I suppose it’s only matter of time before O’Brien leaves as well. Such a shame because Teen Wolf turned out to be quite a good show.

15. Lerel says:

i am a man but why am i crying… Oh yeah cause hes my favorite character and taught me so much. If he does a movie he better come back. #no wolf left behind

16. eva says:

Seeing how bend the creators seem on wasting the potential of the characters they themselves have created, I’m hardly surprised that the actors keep leaving. Can’t wait to see what’s next for Hoechlin (hopefully a quality tv show and not just movies).

17. shelton23236 says:

We will still see him but not that much. Prolly about as much as the coach or Scotts dad with like one or 2 appearances.

18. Ari says:

I’m just so disappointed. I’m going to be even more upset if he’s gone and Peter is still around sucking up a ton of screen time with his v-neck sweaters and occasional British accent.

19. Viv says:

I wasn´t a big fan of the new characters last season, so… I´ll probably watch S5, but I´m sceptical….

20. sona says:

Finally. He never showed up anyway.

21. Essie says:

That sucks, I love his comedic chemistry with Dylan.

22. Richard says:

Derek will sorely be missed, his role in a major way launched the series and contributed greatly to its success. I hope he will evolve into a super star in Hollywood.

23. DL says:

Really enjoyed his character, sad to hear his leaving. On the other hand, though, without Derek around, I hope it means Scott will finally have to up his game and become the badass Alpha he’s supposed to be. Been waiting season after season for Scott to be able to handle trouble on his own, and with Derek no longer around to pull his butt out of the fire, seems like that will have to happen.

24. Skaddadle says:

I hope this show lasts now….. They have gotten rid of so many main characters lately that i’m wondering if this is it’s last season. He deff added something to the show. :(

25. chelle says:

no. no. NO! He’s such a major spill in the whole series. I just hope that he will come back, in at least some episodes this season. Ughhh, I really don’t like this news :( I hope the rest of the cast stays in and we get to see more of Peter Hale, despite of him being stuck in Eichen House. And I hope Dylan O’ Brien will stay on the show, as he’s doing The Maze Runner movies, and I have no doubt about him being in more movies in the future…

26. superhannaaah says:

Reblogged this on whoopitsmyblog and commented:
    tyler pls no you cannot leave teen wolf!

27. Emmy says:

This isn’t that much of a shocker…They had said that one major character wouldn’t be returning in Season 5. I am sad to see him go though.

28. dancmh says:

This is the worst news in the history of the known universe and beyond.

29. dancmh says:

…on the other hand….get his ass on Arrow or Flash asap.

30. Hipper says:

Unless the redirection of the show improves (quality & ratings) tremendously, I think 5A & 5B will be the last season(s) of Teen Wolf. I don’t see how Dylan O’Brien will stick around any longer than that- especially when his film stock is beginning to rise.

31. Jess says:

I will miss my eye candy. He was my favorite character. Is Peter Hale still on this show? Because if so, I will still have some age appropriate eye candy. Oh well I had a feeling this show would be about the younger cast anyways since Scott is the Alpha Alpha.

32. Ash says:

I am not coping well!! I am going to miss Derek so much! Also what is going to happen to Braeden???

33. rachelb says:

I’m sad, but at the same time, this news isn’t really surprising to me at all. They basically reduced him to recurring last season and all of the new characters especially malia were all getting more screentime than him and he’s basically the jacob of tw with him taking off his shirt every 5 seconds not that i don’t mind

34. Mr. Sunshine says:

Devastated!! He’s one of the main reasons to watch!!

35. Maryann says:

I am very disappointed. I was hoping to see the full wolf evolution of his character in a major season-long arc.

36. Pavanne says:

Pectoral withdrawal!!

37. aph1976 says:

Considering it seems like it’s Tyler Hoechline’s decision to leave Teen Wolf i support him and the show.Plus maybe having the character of Derek off for a bit could help bot the character and showPlus i’m thinking he’ll probably be in the season premiere at least to explain Derek’s leaving.

38. Television says:

Well, he was the only reason I watch this show….

39. Giorgia says:

I started watching this show when I found out Tyler was part of the cast. I will try to keep watching but I doubt I will go much far into season 5. Huge disappointment.

40. Amanda says:

Not being a series regular just means he won’t be in every single episode? Dylan Sprayberry wasn’t a series regular last year and was still in 10 of the 12 episodes. Same with Daniel Sharman and the Twins in season 3. I think some people are overreacting with the whole “He’s leaving the show” bit. He’s already been seen of set filming S5 anyway.

41. mark says:

He’s the reason I watched the show. Not sure i’ll be able to stick with it after Derek’s departure.

42. Susan says:

Super disappointed! So many awesome stories that will now never be told. I hate when a character is shelved before his time because of scheduling conflicts. Its a kick in the gut.

43. Arianna Febbo says:

very sad hoechlins leaving. i new there were rumors someone was leaving and kept checking his twitter to see if he was posting anything from the set and got a bad feeling…but hopefully we’ll see him again. hes an amazing actor and will go on to do great things. he was my fav character on TW so hopefully the show will survive without him.

44. Bear says:

As long as Stydia is endgame, I will be pleased with the series ending. The season 3 panic attack kiss was not enough and never will be.

45. Larry Ellman says:

Just can’t wait for the season to start

46. Katie says:

My favorite character since the show began, not sure how to cope with this…

47. Tania says:

LOL teen wolf isn’t even the same anymore. It feels like a whole new show and that Malia chick is just gross and unlikeable. The way they force stiles & malia down our throats is not a way u want people to like a couple. Teen wolf is going down the drain – both in viewership and content.

48. safi says:

Beyond devastated o can’t imagine teenwolf without Derek

49. safi says:

I am also extremely sad Derek won’t be a regular cast member next season but at least he will be there right.
    and stiles is still a regular so I am not giving up on the show till Dylan decides he doesn’t want to be in teen wolf anymore then it’s over for me

50. Hmm says:

This is easily the worst news ever for this show. Mostly because Derek was FINALLY about to get a positive growth story that his fans have been craving since season one. He finally evolved and now we don’t get to see that play out. So pissed, but at the same time extremely happy for Tyler who will be pursuing more movies.