Scandal Stars Preview Gladiators' Return, State of the Olivia/Fitz Union

Scandal Olivia Fitz Spoilers

With Olivia’s abduction and auctioning ably handled, and on the heels of a unique episode revolving around race relations, ABC’s Scandal is poised to return to good old-fashioned Gladiating.

“We’ll definitely see more of that,” Guillermo Diaz, who plays always faithful Huck, told TVLine Sunday on the red carpet for the fourth-year drama’s PaleyFest panel. “Especially now that Olivia’s back, and with everything still a bit awkward at OPA, Huck is excited about pleasing Olivia and being her main Gladiator.”

Helping steel the longtime bond ‘tween the two is Olivia’s recent ordeal at the hand of her kidnappers, and the resulting PTSD that Huck himself knows all too well.

“Olivia’s going to think, ‘This is what Huck has been through for a lot of his life — and worse,'” Diaz shares. “It’ll definitely bring them closer.”

Not feeling particularly KERRY WASHINGTON, TONY GOLDWYNclose these days, meanwhile, are Olivia and Canoodler-in-Chief Fitz, who had a massive falling out when she lambasted him for sending troops to war in the name of getting her taken off the auction block.

“It’s bad. It’s very dark” between the off-and-on lovebirds, Tony Goldwyn told us.

“I don’t know where it’s headed, but I do know that however angry he is at Olivia, he’s not giving up,” POTUS’ portrayer continued. “He would not be able to survive if he gave up on Olivia.”

Which is not to say that Fitz won’t also keep a foot firmly planted in wife Mellie’s budding White House run, as promised. “Right now, they’re very connected,” Goldwyn observes. “I believe that Fitz is very committed to Mellie, and I think he really believes in her as a human being. She’s going to make a lot of mistakes, but he sees her real potential. He has a lot of faith in her.” (With reporting by Rebecca Iannucci)

Want more scoop on Scandal, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Mary says:

Mellie is one of my favorite characters, but the running for POTUS storyline is just weird to me. Hopefully the writers can make it work.

• T says:

As do I. I get they are trying to do the “Hilary” thing but she ran for Senate after they left office. Then she had a job in the President’s cabinet to gain experience. It is hard to imagine someone going from first lady straight to President.

2. Lincoln says:

They really ought to have an impeachment story line on this show.. Fitz has broken so many laws as president its ridiculous… get him impeached and have the vaccination lady take over

• herman1959 says:

I think that Fitz going to jail or being impeached is how the series could end. The last scene would be: Fitz walking through the prison door after serving his sentence and getting into a car. Of course, in the car will be Olivia ready for her biggest PR fix yet!

• Nikki says:

There is no justice in the Scandalverse. I’m game if everyone else gets taken down with him. I mean let’s not pretend that Fitz got the ball rolling on Defiance. Mellie, Olivia, and Cyrus all played a role. They all have broken the law for Fitz so regardless of how much some fans dislike him, if he goes down the others should too. (JMO)

3. Brian says:

I’m glad it’s Huck that she gets closer to and not Jake. If done right, this PTSD storyline could actually be good. Jake being too involved in this storyline much would do nothing but stink up and distract from the storyline, so glad to see that it’s Huck that she supposedly gets closest to.

• Nikki says:

I’m seriously wondering where they will take Jake next. He has never had a stand alone story for his character. Thus far he’s played the hero, been connected to B-613, and played the third wheel in a love triangle, yet we still don’t know too much more about him. Perhaps the writers want to keep it that way, but where do you go with his character to keep him relevant ?

4. Tran says:

Don’t know who came up with the idea of the whole Olivia being kidnapped story line and what made the idea of bringing back Henry Ian Cusick?

• herman1959 says:

I don’t know about the kidnap storyline, but bringing Stephen back was a valentine to the original fans (from Season 1). A lot of people, including myself, liked Stephen and have missed him since he left. Plus, Stephen helped keep Olivia together (as she did for him), and the show needed that because Olivia has been a wreck lately.

• LoveJoy says:

I liked the kidnapping storyline, Olivia will never be the same again and that could make for great character development. Plus anything away from the love triangle is fine by me! Having Stephen back was great, if only he could have stayed.

5. LoveJoy says:

“He would not be able to survive if he gave up on Olivia.” Honestly like what is that..what grown man has ever uttered these words!
    I am so tired of Fitz’s grovelling, neediness & pity-seeking speeches. All this was great in s1 and 2 now it’s just pathetic. Can he not see the mess he has made, how can the POTUS be this clueless. He needs to be removed from office asap and send to prison
    Talk about recycling plots! When Fitz found out Liv was involved in election rigging and he was angry & wanted nothing to do with Liv for about a year; Liv got hurt and was in hospital and all was forgiven, they made up.
    I’m pretty sure something horrible will happen to Fitz that will make Liv forgive & forget everything and run back to into his arms! Yawn…
    I’m looking forward to any non-Olitz plots

6. abz says:

“Is there hope for Olivia and Fitz?”
    I seriously hope not. Toxic relationship. Both have become unrecognizable. Fitz, a complete whiny baby who is a complete joke as POTUS and should be impeached and Liv who is a shell of her former self, which is of course understandable because of her unhealthy relationship with Fitz and given who her mother is as well as her father (a character that the show needs be rid of for good as he is just plain awful both character and acting-wise). For so long now the show has continuously been bringing her character down more and more. She was finally slowly getting back on track a bit at the start of this season and building herself up again and then the whole “There’s hope” nonsense had to be brought up again between the two of them. I’ve come to really enjoy Shonda shows over the years, but she and her writers need to start realizing that this back and forth nonsense is NOT interesting. Maybe in the beginning it’s okay, but four seasons in, it’s just tedious.

7. Know the show says:

I thought there was chemistry between Olivia and the community activist guy. I think she needs a clean sweep of military and political guys and try a regular guy like him. She needs a man that doesn’t have people all over the globe wanting to use her to get to him

8. Me says:

Enough already with Fitz and Liv…

9. Lovely says:

So basically FItz is just a selfish bastard. He’s committed to Mellie and believes in her, yet he won’t let OLivia go so she can move on with her life. Sounds like typical married cheating man B.S. to me. Honestly, if he really loved Olivia he would let her go. He would realize that he cannot give her what she deserves therefore let her go find someone who can. And now of course he’s staying with MEllie indefinitely because she’s running for president… Again, just let Olivia go. I enjoy Scandal so much more when these two aren’t making me roll my eyes in the back of my head from their never ending stupidity.

10. Lovely says:

“He would not be able to survive if he gave up on Olivia” I can’t survive more of this tired, tedious, toxic, predictable relationship. Yawns. So over Fitz being a whinny, pathetic shell of a man and Olivia being a weak idiot whenever she gets around Fitz. Isn’t love supposed to make you a better person? These two bring out the worst in eachother how is that good? And why should I root for this B.S. I hate it so much. Get rid of the Olivia/Fitz romance. The show is SO much better without it.

11. Cece says:

I have always been a hopeless romantic; I love a love story and that’s how I enjoy Scandal. I know many viewers have their own “hate/love” opinion with Olitz and don’t want them to be together, but then the show would stop because this is Scandal…the love story between the President and the love of his life. I would like to see more of real romance between the two rather than quick sessions wherever they can be together and for them to be more supportive of one another and STOP listening to everyone around them who has done everything to destroy their relationship. I don’t want Rowan back; I’m sick of his long-winded blah, blah blah and his “fake love” for his daughter. And Jake, well, please find someone else for him or remove him. I see nothing, absolutely no chemistry between him and Olivia and frankly don’t think he really has any more reason to still be in the story. The sun went down for the two of them. I would love to see Olivia take a few days off and go secretly to Vermont to recover from her trauma; and for Fitz to also want to escape a couple of days and go to Vermont not knowing Liv is there…I would love to see more love making; not this tossing around; and less darkness and anger. I also would love to see Marcus (the activist in Ep. 14) become a part of OPA. He was a hunk and man candy…and he is a great actor. Anyway, I love to watch Scandal without expectation that everything has to be like “real life”. We have enough of real life just living…Scandal take me away to enjoy the fantasy and the journey.

12. Adelele says:

Haven’t any of you figured out as yet that you are wasting your time? There is no sense to Scandal. From what I can see, most viewers do not mind being fed stupid. Sit back, relax and enjoy the stupid that gets doled out practically every Thursday. Well last Thursday was the exception.

13. Liv should be flattered.fitz was going to war for her instead she lashes out,if it were me i would be in his arms embracing him.

14. tanya says:

Olivia and Fitzgerald need to be together forever and always because they belong together and forget about Jake