Memories From the Set

Memories From the Set: The Returned's Mark Pellegrino Reflects on Dexter, Lost, Castle, Supernatural and More

A recurring feature in which we ask your favorite stars to reminisce about past gigs

Mark Pellegrino hasn’t actually appeared on every television series that has aired in the past three decades, but we can understand why you might think he has.

After all, the prolific actor — who’ll next appear as a grieving dad in A&E’s The Returned — has portrayed more than 60 characters on the small screen since his debut in a 1987 episode of L.A. Law.

VIDEO Watch a Trailer for A&E’s The Returned

Some of the gigs were the stuff of actors’ dreams. Others, Pellegrino says candidly, were not.

“I’ve taken roles for all kinds of reasons, and needing the money is not a bad reason when you’ve got to put bread and onions on the table,” he tells TVLine. “But now that I’ve evolved in my career a bit, it’s definitely more about the story and who I’m working with, what kind of longevity the character will have and what the piece means to me.”

RELATED Returned EPs: A&E Remake ‘Distinctly Different’ From Original Series

In advance of The Returned‘s premiere Monday (10/9c), we chatted with the seemingly ubiquitous actor about Doogie, Dexter, Lost, Lucifer and everything in between. Click through the gallery below to hear what he has to say.

1. Irena says:

How could you not list his role as Brenda Lee’s lawyer on The Closer for the major lawsuit brought against her? He was terrific and his character’s role was a central one. Plus, he was a hoot.

2. Simon says:

You also skipped Being Human, which to me was very underrated I guess because people prefered the UK version more.

• Gerald says:

Being Human was a pretty significant role. I wonder how he liked it.

• Drew says:

Both versions were good, but the US version was a deeper, more serious story that had fun elements. The UK version was a fun series with some serious elements. I liked the US version better.

• AT says:

As much as I loved the UK version (season 1 and some of season 2 perhaps), I was surprised how much better the US version ended up being. They got so much more in depth with the characters and several of the story lines were pretty amazing. I’m sorry they didn’t ask him about his role on this series.

3. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Calm down guys, considering Mark Pellegrino is one of those actors who pops up in almost every show there’s no way they’ll be able to talk about them all.

4. Tran says:

He’s been on TV everywhere but people were outraged about the cancellation of Tomorrow People (BOO on the CW).

5. Heathers says:

I liked him in Being Human.

6. Jane says:

One of my favorite actors. Loved him in Lost, Revolution, Being Human and so many other roles but Lucifer (SPN) will always be my favorite.

7. Pat says:

Him and Mark Sheppard both seem to pop up everywhere. The only I can think of that I`ve seen in more shows is Glenn Morshower.

8. Steven says:

I just watched The X Files episode Hungry last night with him in it. I hoped that would be a stint that was talked about.

9. Erica says:

I liked his Til Death episode on Person of Interest, it was fun and funny!

10. Jennifer says:

What about Bishop in Being Human US?

11. danoregon says:

You should do one of these with Gerald McRaney – the guy has been on everything from Gunsmoke to The West Wing to House of Cards.

12. Kevin says:

Could almost add NCIS:LA to the list. He looks a lot like Marty Deeks in that picture from The Returned.