HBO Streaming Service to Debut on Apple TV, in Time for Game of Thrones

HBO Now Apple TV

Apple led off its Monday announcement-palooza with the news that HBO’s standalone streaming service, HBO Now, will launch on Apple TV in April, in time for Season 5 of Game of Thrones (premiering April 12).

HBO Now — available on iOS devices and on PCs, via the HBO Now app — will offer instant access to HBO programming as it airs, even to those without traditional cable subscriptions. The cost is $14.99 a month, and new subscribers get a free 30-day trial period.

The HBO Now library includes more than 2,000 titles, including current series such as Thrones, True Detective, Girls and Veep, as well as past programs (including The Sopranos, Sex and the City, The Wire and Deadwood).

“HBO Now offers a new generation of HBO fans many of the best TV programs in the world without a cable or satellite subscription,” Apple SVP Eddy Cue said in a statement. “With the same simplicity as buying an app, customers can subscribe to HBO Now and instantly start viewing their favorite HBO programs as they air. This is huge.”

Is this the streaming service you’ve been waiting for?

1. Et al says:

That’s almost twice the price of Netflix with considerably less content. No thanks.

2. Zenobia Jackson says:

They claim to be targeting “cord cutters” yet cord cutters cut the cord because prices were too high. How are they going to convince these budget shoppers that HBO’s content (On just one television) is worth nearly twice the price of Hulu Plus or Netflix? They are also opening themselves up to seasonal buys in which viewers will subscribe only during peak months. Big mistakes. It should be priced at $7.99 – $9.99 but they are clearly making efforts to protect the inflated and satellite pricing. Will this be in HD? Will there be any kind of favorites or preference settings?

3. That’s the same price as getting HBO through my cable service. I thought it’d be cheaper to woo cable subscribers away. Oh well, I’ll stick with HBO on my cable, and get HBO Go to boot.

4. kirads09 says:

For GoT alone worth it to me. I will be subscribing as a cord cutter. If I understand this, I will be able to get HBO Now on my PC, correct? Bout time. Thank you.

5. Julia says:

It is so much cheaper through my Xfinity package…

6. Ellinas1978 says:

Not a good move for HBO, limiting it to Apple. User can still download the HBO Go app and watch it though, right?

7. Brian says:

Priced too high….will wait for the cd’s to become available on netflixs

8. John says:

HBO needs to learn stand alone service means not tied to another company’s package. People will continue to torrent Game of Thrones because HBO refuses to offer their shows for a decent price not tied. Also this is a huge slap in the face to non Apple users, no wonder Netflix is winning and with their current development slate, HBO needs to find something other than Game of Thrones that’ll keep subscribers

9. Lizo says:

For $14 a month?? nope. Plus, HBO really doesn’t have a big catalogue.

10. gary says:

About time

11. SottoVoce says:

I’m shocked at the number of pricing complaints. It is a reasonable price for HBO. As a cord cutter my monthly bill went from $200 down to #7.99 (I don’t count Amazon Prime because I receive other benefits from the benefits). I will gladly pay $14.99, I consider it a bargain. If I had to go to a bar to watch GoT, it would cost me more than that! Besides, I miss John Oliver!