Video: Last Week Tonight Reveals Stupidity of Daylight Saving Time

Daylight saving time: How is this still a thing? Last Week Tonight with John Oliver has the answer, and despite an age-old assumption, it has nothing to do with farmers — or their “stupid, stupid cows.”

As it turns out, the answer isn’t really an answer at all, at least not one that supports the validity of daylight saving as a continued practice in 2015.

RELATED Last Week Tonight Renewed for Two More Seasons at HBO

Nearly 100 years after its introduction to help diminish fuel usage during World War I, daylight saving now increases fuel usage by an average of one percent (not to mention the rise in overall “mortal danger”). Clearly, this practice has outlived its usefulness.

So press PLAY on the video above, and learn more about the asinine reason for this twice annual inconvenience.

1. Christina says:

Spot on.

• Temperance says:

Actually, spot wrong. Try living in the northern third of the country, where it not only saves money, but it’s a HUGE relief to many people. Try going to wrok and coming home from work in the dark every days for weeks on end. DST *is* annoying* on one level, but it’s fantastic on others.

• KatsMom says:

Are you sure it’s saving money? Did you see the fact in the video about Indiana consuming 1% MORE energy after they adopted DST in 2006?

2. Tran says:

How is THIS still a thing you ask? In my opinion: JACK BAUER. It’s Daylight Savings Time DAMMIT!!

3. WayneInNYC says:

A friend of mine suggests we just turn our cocks back one half hour and be done with DST once and for all.

4. Maryann says:

Wow what a stupid film that just totally misses the point! Daylight Savings Time gives you more time in the evenings not socked in by darkness. I really, really hate how early it gets dark in the winter and really look forward to daylight savings in the spring, and really hate to lose it in the fall. Yes, we should simplify. We should go to Daylight Savings all year long.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Yes, this. I love DST; I hate standard time. It’s so awful in the fall when the time changes. Here it is, gradually getting darker earlier and earlier… and then *bam* we shove it an hour earlier in one fell swoop. So, so depressing.

• EdTV says:

Of course some would have a problem with the sun not rising until 8:30 in early January. Not that I don’t agree that it is stupid… the half hour idea from above makes the most sense.

• KatsMom says:

Exactly. I’m one of those people. I was pretty happy before the change. It was so light out most mornings that my youngest was getting up and ready for school without prompting, and my oldest was at least semi-awake when I went into her room. This morning, I had to drag everyone out of bed…including my husband. In addition, now that it’s going to be light out so much later, I’m going to have trouble getting them to bed every night by 8 too. Yippee…DST….

• Sheri says:

I love daylight savings time. I look forward to it all winter. It’s great to have more daylight hours after work.

• Temperance says:

Why on Earth would you put your children to bed at 8PM?

• KatsMom says:

@Temperance — My children are still quite young. The youngest only just turned 4. Why on Earth shouldn’t they be in bed at 8:00 on a school night? If they ever get to a point where they’re waking up well in advance of their alarms, then we’ll revisit the issue of bedtime. In the meantime, I suggest you turn down the judgmental tone and let me set the bedtime that’s appropriate for my children. Believe it or not, I actually know them and how much sleep they need much better than a complete stranger on the internet does.

5. frustratedwithbadtvshows says:

Funny video, really enjoyed it!

6. Checking in from Arizona: I’m just here for the comments……. P.S. I love not having DSL. It’s one of the things I like best about living here.