NBC Thursday Shake-Up: Allegiance Cancelled, The Slap on the Move

Allegiance Cancelled

NBC is pledging little Allegiance to its rookie spy drama, cancelling the series after five low-rated episodes.

The Slap, which is having its own ratings troubles on Thursdays at 8/7c, will take over Allegiance‘s 10/9c perch beginning next week.

At 8/7c, NBC will air Dateline: The Real Blacklist, a new investigative series hosted by Richard Engel that focuses on conspiracy-themed investigations and crimes that involve larger-than-life perpetrators and circumstances.

Allegiance premiered last month to sub-Parenthood numbers — 5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating — and at last tally mustered just 3.4 mil/0.8.

The Slap, meanwhile, launched last month to 5.1 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating, and at last tally mustered 3.4 mil and a 0.8.

1. And this is why I wait a few weeks before I bother with any new shows.

• Dean says:

I hear ya, bro.

• Chris says:

You are so right!

• OBAMA, a KGB dupe, was offended by the show as was His Master, KGB Putin, so Obama ordered it to be cancelled and the producers, directors, and actors will get a call from the IRS by Monday.

• Mary S says:

Rennie asked if Stevenskiya was insane…the answer is, of COURSE he is…undoubtedly fueled by watching faux news too often…!

• Joe says:

Faux news? As in fake news? So what you’re saying is that he watches MSNBC. I just think he’s a crazy Russian dude myself.

• Mary S says:

“Faux news” is what many of us call Fox news…simply because they have said so many things that are not only just wrong, but have been PROVEN to be outright lies…look it up!!!
            Politifact: Fox News Is Lying More Than Ever! | Crooks and Liars crooksandliars.com/2015/01/politifact-fox-news-lying… Cached
            Only 21% of what is being said on Fox news is rated as true! If one were to show Fox News viewers these results I bet they would just call the information a liberal …

• Reality says:

Mary S., if you’re only worried about Fox News with telling the truth, you might want to open your eyes a bit wider.

• Mary S says:

I get my news from many different sources, but cannot force myself to watch faux news…every time I try to watch it, I just get angry. I pay attention to how my DC representatives vote on the issues at hand, I pay attention to the issues that are important to me and those I love, and notice what Congress does about them. Rhetoric and interviews are merely rhetoric and interviews. What COUNTS is what happens in Chambers.
            My local Fox station is pretty good; they don’t talk about the national news much, so I do watch them after the prime time show is over.
            I have seen enough clips of interviews and heard enough opinion statements from faux news blondies that I will never deliberately tune in to them. I have even “hidden” that channel from my program guide…I know many who think they are the voice of the nation, but I do not.
            I make my decisions and choices based on my own sense of right and wrong, not on how that decision will affect some billionaires’ bank account, and certainly NOT on anything said by any employee of faux news… have you looked at Politifacts? Fox has more inaccuracies than all the other networks, combined!

• Gary says:

Hey didn’t you know Obama was the reason the Lusitania was sunk? He caused Christ to be crucified, Hitler to invade the Sudaten,, Poland, Russia, I almost forgot, the fall of the Roman Empire. What a TV drama that would make on O’reilly and Hannity?

• Greg says:

Thats what happens when your an anti-Christ.

• Gary says:

Oh My God!! You have found me out. I’m so glad that you have only revealed me to the folks on this forum of TV watchers. You truly need care my friend. I hope you are not the next Frazier Glenn Miller who is on trial shortly for shooting non Jewish members of a Jewish retirement home in Ks. and an avid Christian Neo- Nazi Takes all kinds I guess. Back to the subject at hand, the show was a take-off of the “Americans” on FX, I believe, but was done well, and a nail biter, cliffhanger, etc, from all the episodes I watched. Maybe those of you that frequent the “Westboro Baptist Church can watch re-runs of it in the Hoosegow.

• Charlene Butts says:

I just actually posted a comment before seeing yours…….read mine….If Pres Obama had it cancelled it was for the reason I posted……in 2013 a Bomb was set off at this time during the Boston Marathon….by 2 Russian men……it’s out of respect….you can watch it on On Demand or Hulu.

• M Robinson says:

If that was true the Amerikans on FX would have been cancelled

• Dude says:

It’s generally obvious which shows will succeed and which will fail.

• Will says:

…and this is why you were the cause of the cancellation – you didn’t bother. Hate to say it, but it’s true.

• cuius says:

Agreed – was going to binge-watch the first five this weekend – will give the lawn its first mowing instead

• Grey says:

Yup. I still haven’t watched “Empire” but I think I’m safe with that one. ;-D I may keep wating though and bindge watch the whole seasons once it’s over.

• prish says:

You missed out on some great acting and writing, though. It was a fantastic show.

• so true.. NBC is a cancer lol they only want cop shows medical and fire department shows. they tried to get on the superhero bandwagon and failed cause they are probably going to cancel Constantine.. its crazy how long they have had grimm on..

• They chose the wrong night for Constantine. The show itself is great.

• Lindsay says:

Constantine is probably being removed due to the fact that the movie is completely different, and I’m assuming people liked Keanu Reeves’ character and the plot, over the one that they had presented on television.

• Sayre says:

So you’re the reason it didn’t start out with higher ratings!!

• i understand why you wait. You get hooked on the first episode and then it all comes to an abrupt stop. I am just a gluttan for punishment.

• Birdie says:

So you are just one of the flocks, who does not have their own opinion, but rather would go with what people would say. No backbone at all!

• MelIssA Rodgers says:

Allegiance shouLd Not have been cancelled. I think it was a great show!

• M Robinson says:

There 13 episodes availble on xfinity on demand

2. Dean says:

They should have done a twofor. I don’t see Slap lasting much longer either.

• Chris says:

I’m surprised by that myself. Their numbers are almost identical. The Slap is supposed to be a limited series (at least I hope so, this one case lasting multiple seasons or them telling different stories of kids getting slapped would be ridiculous). They’ll probably just let it run its course.

• Matthew says:

The Slap is a miniseries anyway they proabably just want to go ahead and finish airing the remaining episodes

• Saabgirlatx says:

The Slap was a horrible title choice for this mini series. It is actually a beautifully done show with many twists, turns and tears.

• Matthew says:

It is also only 8 episodes so they have already aired half of the series anyway why not air the remaining four

• TV Gord says:

The Slap is only an episode limited series, so imagine they’ll bite the bullet and run them all.

I don’t get the logic of people who say they don’t watch new shows because they’re likely to be cancelled. So what? It happens. In the meantime, those of us who watched the episodes that did air have the benefit of being entertained as long as it lasted. Some of the most memorable episodes of TV shows are from ones that were cancelled quickly. I’m glad I didn’t miss them!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I never cross streets because I might get hit by a car :(

• jp says:

Or turn on the stove in case you get burned…love it.

• josue_can says:

Because unless you are a member of the Nielsens family, what you watch is irrelevant.

I get invested on a show “I” like or love, and suddenly it gets cancelled. Sure, the first few times didn’t discouraged me. But after 6 or 7 shows “I” really liked got canned, I seldom watch new shows until I see the ratings (rolls-eyes) are solid.

*It is obvious I have no love for our current —and incredibly flawed — ratings system.*

• johnhelvete says:

I dont get it either. What do you have to lose by at least watching the first episode of Allegiance and see if you like it. By not watching a show until it is renewed or has a certain rating, you are essentially letting other people decide what you watch.

• Because it sucks getting really interested in a show just to have it get cancelled. I have watched far too many shows that were really good IMO and then, bam, they are gone. And the worst part is, most of the time, they end on a cliff hanger. Flash Forward, Revolution, Heroes and plenty of other shows leave the viewer unfulfilled and it isn’t right. They should allow some way to have the followers of the shows have an ending.

• Grey says:

Thank you Daniel!

• prish says:

They need to finish up or continue series via novels. They have a fan base in the millions. I just don’t get it, why they don’t start novelizations. Why not sell a million books?

• Tommy Erwin says:

I TOTALLY agree that the networks should at least have an ending to a series that has MILLIONS of viewers…example when ABC decided to cancel Last Resort, they had the pure courtesy of writing a conclusion into the series that didn’t leave the viewers in utter aggravation over the cancellation(unlike this series did) It’s usually CBS that does this so often………I personally believe that Allegiance could have gone somewhere if NBC would have just given it a chance, but they could/SHOULD have written an ending. I ONLY hope that some other network will pick it up and finish at least what NBC has recorded (just like I hear that A&E is picking up Unforgettable from CBS)………. I would not miss an episode if that would happen!! I love the cast and the characters and they ALL played their parts so well…

• barnfly says:

Absolutely! The last MASH episode would be a great model for them.

• Jared says:

So true. Each one of the shows u stated I really liked and invested in. I’ve never gotten over flash forward or heroes!

• Debbie koss says:

I agree these networks should not be able to waste our time with these soap opera thriller shows that get yanked once we are hooked. This deal along with many of the comments here tell me I should do what the other folks do and wait for a complete season to conclude. It’s really not fair they are able to do this!!!

• Virgil seibt says:

Don’t not watch a show because bad advice plus there were rumors people said there were only 5 episodes then it was cancelled well there are 11 episodes so far and keep coming other people just don’t know it’s Still on

• Gern Blanston says:

If my watching or not actually made a difference I would watch more shows immediately instead of waiting. However, not being a Nielsen household it doesn’t matter if I watch or not. So, why invest the time and effort watching something only to see it get cancelled in a couple of weeks. The second that Nielsen ratings no longer matter and they find a way to measure the actual ratings of a show I will adjust my viewing habits. Until then, I will continue to watch how I watch.

• Virgil seibt says:

Amen everyone allegiance was really a super good show and ended like the glades a friggin cliff hanger I’m like every other frustrated fan how can you cancel a show just when it’s turning the corner to greatness cya in the pissed off fan column and may your shows last

• Jo Ann says:

I agree with you. If a show sounds appealing or the promos seem promising, I’ll watch the first episode. If it doesn’t grab me, I say, “Bye, bye.” If it seems to have potential, I’ll give it two, possibly three episodes before I make a final decision. If the public LOVES a show I’ve decided not to watch, I catch up on Hulu.com then continue watching. i love TV, but there aren’t enough hours in the day to try everything.

• Anne says:

I agree. If I didn’t watch until a show had been renewed, I would have missed Firefly. What a loss to me that would have been. And, of course, there are many other examples. Though, I will always mourn the loss of that show more than any other.

• Tenney says:

That’s exactly how I feel about Pushing Daisies. It only lasted one season but it was one of my favorite shows ever and I’m glad I got to see at least one season of that fun, whimsical, and colorful show.

• Jane says:

Pushing Daisies received two seasons, the second one slightly longer than the first. I promise it didn’t end with the big reveal at the end of the first season!

• murley says:

The second season even managed to sort of wrap things up in the end (with a tacked on montage) so while it wasn’t a totally satisfying conclusion it wasn’t a totally unresolved cliffhanger ending either. Check it out!!

• Reality says:

Probably because people have grown tired of the networks constantly cancelling shows with great potential and not even giving a proper conclusion. I used to watch every new show that looked interesting, but stopped after having so many cancelled within 1-2 seasons. Many would rather not devote their time to a story that will never be finished.

• Avitha says:

Agreed. But If I had known beforehand that SGU was going to end the way it did I would never have tuned in for it so I can see their point.

3. Tim says:

The Slap is really good, i hope they let it finish

• wrstlgirl says:

I gotta agree. The premise was stupid which turned a lot of people off but as I watch each episode I get intrigued as to how it’s going to end. I think it is a limited series anyway, isn’t it?

• Tenney says:

I agree, The Slap is really good. I am glad it is a limited series because I don’t think it could sustain a compelling story beyond the 8 episodes, but it has proven to be a very interesting show.

• Miffy says:

It’s terrible. Poorly paced, and the characters are walking stereotypes. The Slap is strictly for pseudo-intellectuals.

• Jo Ann says:

Oh yes, I like it, too. It’s an example of how one spur-of-the-moment action can have repercussions. And it has a terrific cast.

4. Jeanne says:

“Allegiance” is too similiar to “The Americans!” I usually wait til I hear how other people feel about a new program before I try it. I don’t think “Slap” will make it!!

• wrstlgirl says:

Curious why you would let other people’s opinions decide what you’re going to watch. I prefer to watch and make up my own mind. But that aside The Americans is way, WAY better than Allegiance. No comparison.

• Kim says:

Completely agree! The Americans is FAR superior to Allegiance. Allegiance wasn’t awful, but it just didn’t “grab” me.

• David says:

I watched 3 1/2 shows of Allegiance, could not take any more. Americans is FAR better, and at least everything in it is plausible. Allegiance was so far fetched in many ways, impossible to develop any “belief” in it.

5. Rachel Maurer says:

the slap is only supposed to be 8 episodes so it’s not a huge committment to keep it on that long.

6. pym says:

This is what they cancelled Parenthood for?

7. Georgia says:

Not happy they’ve cancelled Allegiance. It’s ashame people didn’t give it a chance and watch it. It was great drama and storyline. Also, great cast of characters.

• s elin says:

Agreed. Yes, it’s like The Americans, but so what? There’s room for one more. I love both. What a shame Allegiance has been canceled!

• Melinda says:

I agree, I like Allegiance and The Americans both, so sorry to see Allegiance go. I was enjoying it very much. Have no desire to see The Slap. Was sad to see Parenthood end also.

• JBC says:

Agreed, I liked it too. I watch The Americans too. They are both good. Hope we can see the rest of the episodes.

• Tee says:

I tried watching the Americans, and I just couldn’t get into it. Allegiance on the other hand, I have really been enjoying, and I’m upset that it’s been cancelled. I think it was poor planning on NBC’s part to put a new show up against the midpoint of current seasons people have put an investment in. At the very least, run a new show during a hiatus to give it a chance!

• Liz Smith says:

I really liked Allegiance and was looking forward to seeing it tonight. Why not let it run since How To Get Away With Murder is over now. It was interesting and just getting good. NBC didn’t give it a chance

8. Judy says:

seems if it’s not a stupid reality show, that shows how stupid people really are, it doesn’t seem to catch any of the networks attention…..I thought this was a good show. And waiting until it’s been on for a few weeks doesn’t prove that the show will live after the second season……been there as well. What other show will be cancelled next? :(

9. Shaniqua says:

Will we at least see a burn-off of the other episodes of “Allegiance” on Saturday? Please pretty please.

• BrightLight says:

That or at least put them on Hulu.

• Tee says:

Yes please. I think NBC should just start airing a revamped “Dateline,” like they used to with Stone Phillips or whatever his name was. Why you’d run a brand new show against How to Get Away with Murder is beyond me.

• Bob Jones says:

Or ‘Whatever His Name Was!” Come On, Son – Stone Phillips was a Boss back in the day on NBC. I get that he has not been on TV in a while but damn; LOL

• davej13 says:

Sorry the show got canceled, but it was fading on me. I loved the main character Alex who works for the CIARA. I hated all the family crap they threw in there. I guess they figure that is what would make the show successful, but I hated it. Also, with how the parents got Alex to lie this week – totally wrong move NBC!

10. Joan Olsen says:

This sucks I loved this show. So mad! It was a really good show, I just wish others would have given it a try.

11. Julie says:

Just don’t cancel The Blacklist. I love love love that show.

12. Marco says:

The only surprise here is that they are yanking it from the air. Let’s hope they film a series finale, and we get to see the remaining episodes (maybe in summer)…

13. Rosemary says:

Very sad that Allegiance is being Cancelled. As for the Slap, I hope that is Cancelled too.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, I’m guessing you don’t watch The Slap so why do you care if it’s canceled or not.

• s elin says:

Because the mother is madfening! Love and defend your child, yes, but hold onto your sanity.

I could slap the mother myself and someone should have reined in that little boy long ago.

I support the slapper even though I don’t think people should take it upon themselves to discipline other people’s children. I would be outraged just like she is, but her child has NOT been scarred for life, as she claims.

• Jo Ann says:

“And is it just me or is she still breastfeeding him? That little boy is going to have too many problems to count.”

Yes, she is and I did a doubletake when I saw that. O_O You’re right that the child is going to have problems later on from being raised with parents like that.

• Tee says:

Whether or not the remaining episodes of the slap are aired, one can always read the book or find the Australian series (Melissa George is in both, and plays the same characters) if they love it so much and need to know how it ends.

• s elin says:

I found the original, but want to see the us version first. I hope those parents come to their senses. Arresting that guy is crazy. I would prosecute a stranger, but these people are basically family. As a rule (there are always exceptions), you work things out with family; you don’t have them arrested.

14. A. D. says:

So Shocked! Not!

15. kmw says:

Not surprised about Allegiance, but surprised that NBC thinks The Slap will do better in that time slot

16. auntie em says:

Now I’m really worried about Constantine. To hell with the ratings, I love the show! I want more episodes. Here’s hoping like hell we know once and for all if it’s coming back.

• Katherine215 says:

It’s a small point, and probably doesn’t mean anything, but it hasn’t been “officially” canceled like Allegiance. It was allowed to air all its episodes. Probably they just didn’t have any other options though (but I’m holding out hope!!). :/

• s elin says:

I am surprised to find that I like it. I usually avoid werewolves, vampires, and the undead like the plague. The only movies like this that I ever liked were the “Omen” movies. Rosemary’s Baby? No. The one with the head-spinning, vomiting, possessed girl? No. Poltergeist? No.

17. mari johnson says:

We were actually enjoying this show. Just another reason to jot watch NBC. We really get burned by them.

18. rob says:

bummer i would like to see how it could end, never saw it running 3 seasons, more like a 24″
    cinematography, and direction was (is) very good

19. That’s why there was no promo for next week. I liked Allegiance. Sucks.

20. jp says:

Allegiance looked ok but we watched only once and let the rest of the eps dwell on the dvr only to now be deleted. It’s shades of Americans but not as good. The slap I have been watching but I don’t see where it can go. Either the guy is guilty or not with a long drawn out trial with lots of dark secrets given out during. I don’t think it will last. Too bad since there are some good actors in there.

• Isobel says:

There are only 4 episodes left so the trial isn’t drawn out but yes many of the characters issues get brought to light

21. Dennis says:

Hope this is good news for Katherine Heigl’s STATE of AFFAIRS!

• ABG. says:

Not really. That one is dead as well.

• Jeff says:

I don’t know if one series being cancelled is tied to another. State of Affairs is my favorite show. I said my favorite!!! I do have many friends who Love this show. It ended in a cliff hanger!!! Is a good sign??? Let’s hope !!! Is Amazing how good it is!! BTW i m not a Heigl fan!!! No way should this show be swayed by by hate for her. This show is about way more than her!! That being said !! I have grown to really like her acting in this!!! Please support this show !! State of Affairs!!

• Toya says:

A cliffhanger doesnt matter many shows were canceled on a cliffhanger! It just sucks worse.. But here’s to hoping I like SOA too

22. Chad Prier says:

They should cancel The Slap and keep Allegiance on. Myself and millions of others are already invested in this great show and deserve to see it thru to the end. Come in NBC at least let it ride out thru the first season.

• Nona says:

That doesn’t make any sense. You don’t think there weren’t any people invested in The Slap?

• Tommy Erwin says:

I agree at least finish the season to give us some kind of an ending rather than just shutting the door with so much unknown hanging in the darkness…..

23. Ray says:

Glad I didn’t start watching; this is one reason why I wait. If NBC doesn’t bother burning off the rest of the eps on Saturdays I can delete the Allegiance folder without ever looking back.

24. I am so sad to see Allegiance cancelled…I thought the actors did a terrific job….especially the son….

25. Boiler says:

So they have cancelled a show that many people loved and now cancel its replacement. When will networks learn different isn’t better. Remember Body of Proof that ABC has still not been able to replace

• Boiler says:

Also if you want to avoid a so called network avoid TNT where they keep lower rated crap as opposed to better

26. bonnie wojcik says:

I am very disappointed that the allegiance is being cancelled. I enjoyed it very much. wrong move

27. That’s unfortunate. I really liked Allegiance. It was a good, smart show. A lot of my favorite secondary character actors from other shows were getting a chance to star.

28. Linda Gibson says:

I think it was very stupid of NBC to put this show on Thursday night. ABC owns Thursday night. Same thing with Black List. They put Allegiance up against HTGAWM and Black List up against Scandal. Two of the most poplar shows on Thursday night. It was stupid of them to do that. I’m not a Executive for a TV network & I know that was stupid. Allegiance was a fairly good show, it never got the chance for people to see it. It’s sad.

29. dsrbroadway says:

I wish I knew the moron that thought The Slap was an 8e/7c show to begin with. It should’ve been in that Allegiance slot.

Maybe Allegiance would’ve done better opening the night, though we all knew it was doomed from the start anyway.

30. Really, I liked this show..

31. Judy Gaul says:

Another NBC show bites the dust. Why doesn’t the network destroy another great show by not giving it a decent chance to catch on. When will NBC learn not every show will take the time slot it’s in win that spot in the ratings. Other networks do not shift programs around as much as you do. No wonder you are losing viewers.

32. Lala Martinez says:

So……..is NBC at least bringing the show to some sort of conclusion, or are they going to leave us blowing in the wind? This network gives up so easily……so tired of getting invested in a new series only to have the network pull a show without bringing the show to a conclusion.

33. Will says:

Well, that sucks. If State of Affairs is cancelled too, then NBC is pretty much telling me to “fu** off”. Bummer – it was a decent show.

34. You cancelled the wrong one, The Slap should have been cancelled and Allegience moved to the 8/7 hour. NBC getting as bad as CBS getting new shows in the right time slot . Allegience a good concept and the young star, the son was very good…..

• Julie says:

Not an original concept though. Same concept of a much better show. IMO, The Americans is the best show in television. I’ve watched it since the beginning but couldn’t get in to Allegience.

35. George Escarra says:

I am getting so mad about how they judge these shows!! I really liked Allegiance.I know a lot of people were comparing it with The Americans,but they really did not give this show a chance.

36. Craig says:

What a shame. This show definitely had promise and is far better than the fake reality shows that people seem to love! Don’t understand why this is not given more of a chance!

37. Draven says:

This is pretty much why NBC should just give up. They just can’ help themselves first Heroes, then Chuck now Constintine and Allegiance. The people who run the network need to either resign or be fired, but with the viewers luck they will still be in charge when the Heroes re-boot happens and they will screw that up as well. Sorry but that’s my opinion

38. JennaG says:

Bring back Parenthood!!

• Tran says:

Parenthood is done after ending its six year run. Hope non-NBC fans can continue to whine and complain all they want.

39. Tran says:

NBC’s Thursday night line-up continues to go from bad to worse year after year after year. What would Bob Greenblatt do before the upfronts come May? Move Blacklist back to Mondays?

40. ginas13 says:

The Slap is awful. They should have cancelled that instead. Allegiance should air on a cable network. The problem was they advertised it too much like The Americans. Even their posters looked like it. It’s really not that much like it. It’s too bad because the cast was great.

41. Ted Sutton says:

Very disappointing about Allegiance being cancelled. I thought it was a very good show, and it was just getting really interesting. Well cast. Good story line. Young man had interesting abilities. Let’s hope they burn off any shows in the can on Saturday night’s and perhaps a cable channel or Netflix will find it a good fit for them.

42. was just getting good

43. Igor Polcheski says:

STUPID NETWORKS. THIS is why people WAIT till a series has run it’s course, and TORRENT it! Get a CLUE! Don’t screw over your viewers!!

44. John Moshier says:

this weeks episode was so strupid you don’t know who to beleave makes the fbi look pretty stupid

45. kyk says:

Why?! i mean this actually was a good show! damn them in corporate, The Slap is piece of, well, doodoo. Ugh any other time or day of the week and it would have done well. But No! they want to compete with Shondaland, which is INSANE!!!

46. maggie says:

Well with How To Get Away with Murder over already for the season, why not just keep it? I’ve enjoyed the episodes that have aired. Put Allegiance before The Blacklist imo.

47. Nancy says:

I like the Allegiance show I thought it was great but you did have to keep up with it so that you know what’s going on every time you turn on the television. It’s not a show you can get into the middle of a season and understand what is going on. Give it a longer trial.

48. evlqn says:

I think it’s idiotic to cancel a show like The Allegiance in favor of keeping one about hitting a child. I would rather watch something that engages my mind then exploits sensationalism.

49. Kelly rodemerk says:

I’m disappointed, I really liked the show and characters. Not so much the slap, that should be canceled.

50. worthymagic says:

Sounds like both of them will be goners. Whoever came up with the idea of THE SLAP should be a goner too. Yes, some other network would probably come out with something like it had NBC not done it first.