Grey's Anatomy Preview: How Are April and Jackson Weathering Their Loss?

Grey's Anatomy Preview JApril

When last we saw Grey’s Anatomy‘s April, she and husband Jackson had held, and said a tearful goodbye to, their son Samuel, who tragically was born with a severe, fatal case of osteogenesis imperfecta.

April has been off screen for the two weeks since that episode — portrayer Sarah Drew went into real-life labor just 10 hours after filming her character’s own childbirth — while Jackson (played by Jesse Williams) has been private with colleagues about how he and his wife have been coping. But in this Thursday’s otherwise Amelia-centric episode (ABC, 8/7c), April resurfaces, allowing some first insight into the quickly tested nascent marriage.

Having had some time to process her experiencing of every parent’s nightmare, “I think she has some sense of peace,” Drew tells TVLine. “I think she believes that God is with her, and that is giving her peace that sort of goes beyond what she could have imagined.” That said, April is also “in excruciating pain,” the actress adds. “It’s this strange both/and situation, which is what I love. We’re telling a story of finding peace and hope in the midst of pain and tragedy.”

Even so, viewers should plan to lay witness to a changed April, as she adopts a new, uniquely enlightened point of view on life, its preciousness and the decisions we make.

“Moving forward, we see a grittier side of her. She doesn’t care about things that don’t matter anymore,” Drew previews. “She’s been to Hell and back, and she has a scene in a later episode with a patient who does something inane to himself, and she has no patience for him, no compassion. So we’ll see that side of her come out, which will be alarming to the people that know her.”

Yet even as Jackson himself is taken aback by his wife’s aforementioned personality shift, Drew believes that April’s marriage will emerge “strengthened” in the end, beyond what any other crucible could have done.

“I love that they are one unit together through this whole thing,” she shares. “Now, they just need to cling onto each other for dear life, and heal together.”

Want more scoop on Grey’s, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. SPAMMER says:

[SPAM DELETED]

2. Addie says:

I love when April gets to be mean and not take any s**t from people! I mean I’m not happy that’s it for reasons that it is, but still. It should be good.

3. lisa says:

I think April is going to come back man and angry and she is going to say she deserves to be mean cuz her baby just died. I’d people don’t like her attitude she is going to tell them where to go and she is going to start snapping at the patients.

4. Lucy B says:

I’m just frustrated April didn’t die with her baby. She’s awful. I have no idea why Shonda is so enamoured with that character.

5. MammaMya says:

Having dealt with the loss of a baby girl, I can fully understand April’s rage and grief. No parent should ever have to bury a child. I can’t wait to see how they both handle i

6. Grey's Fan says:

I have never understood why people dislike April… She is one of the best characters and a very layered character (I’m hopeful the god stuff dies now). Hopefully April will work on being a kick-a*s trauma surgeon now.
    As for Jackson – he was good during the baby story, but my favourite thing about him is his mother.

• Babygate says:

Agreed. She has grown into a very solid character. Unfortunately, I think that people that are still clinging to the Grey’s of old will have very little patience for anyone who is not M.A.G.I.C. or Derek.

• JJ says:

It’s just how some don’t understand how people can like April. People have opinions.

• fiberlicious says:

She was an idiot the first couple of seasons, but I’ve enjoyed her in the past 2 seasons.

7. Jaime says:

I didn’t know Sarah Drew was pregnant in real life too. It’s so gross that they gave her that whole storyline. :(

8. madhatter360 says:

That’s some great timing on the real life delivery. Imagine if they’d decided to push filming by a day.

9. Carly Simon says:

I actually stopped watching the show when she joined the cast ….don’t care for her…..Grey’s sister they killed off the show or the female Dr. Shepard….I started watching last season to see Christine’s send off and tried to stick with it…..but I’m giving up again…..just isn’t what it used to be. I watched it from day one…..but it’s lost something in translation….

10. Ali says:

When that plane crashed Grey’s Anatomy got considerably darker than it ever was before. I don’t think it’s fully recovered from that so I understand why some people gave up with the show. It’s 100% not the same as it was. But I still enjoy it, I think Shonda and the writers do an excellent job of raising awareness about certain disease (eg this case of April’s baby). It’s heart breaking to watch

11. Pat says:

I hope that her marriage to Jackson, survives. I love these two characters together. I think that she will forge a bond with Amelia who will be able to help her through this dark time since she also lost a baby.

12. liame says:

I don’t think they’ll stay together.

13. Japril says:

I really hope April sees what a rockstar husband Jackson was/is, after the first wave of grief is over … their first wedding anniversary is around the corner .. it would be very touching if April would propose to Jackson to renew their marriage promise …