American Idol Top 8 Guys Recap: W(ednesday's) T(errible) F(allout)

My smile is my makeup
I wear since my break up with you
So
Idol, take a good look at my face
You’ll see my smile
looks out of place
If you look closer, it’s easy to trace
The tracks of my tears

My name is not Smokey Robinson, and yet tonight, I feel his pain.

AND YES I KNOW I AM BEING MELODRAMATIC.

After all, on Wednesday’s American Idol Season 14 Top 8 Guys Performance Night, there was only one terrible, horrible, no good, very bad elimination.

But when you juxtapose Savion Wright’s (and perhaps even Riley Bria’s) ousters against lesser lights who advanced — and how those lights flickered, sputtered and died out in their subsequent Motown-themed performances — these tiny ripples in the ocean of reality singing competitions feel like soul-crushing tsunamis.

This crisp slap in the face to Savion — like the ones delivered to Kendra Chantelle, Sabrina Sloan, Katelyn Epperly, Aloha Mi’Sho and so many other Idol semifinalists before him — shall pass. But I need at least a little time between now and tomorrow’s dawn ’til I can take Princess Elsa’s advice and let it go.

On that note, let’s get to the proceedings. Eliminated in the course of Top 8 Guys’ Night: Michael Simeon, Riley Bria, Savion Wright and Trevor Douglas.

And now, a rundown of the Top 8 guys:

AI14_Detroit-8-Boys_0210_hires1Daniel Seavey – Marvin Gaye’s “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)” — Grade: C- | I’ve seen more natural movin’ and groovin’ on Teletubbies. But while Harry rightfully pointed out the lack of rhythmic urgency in the teenager’s delivery, how come nobody mentioned his iffy falsetto and his utter lack of emotional connection to the material? J.Lo’s “you’re gonna be a favorite around here” — when she knows the kid is completely out of his depth — was perhaps the most galling comment of the night. Then again, you could go with Keith’s “All you need is to just keep doing this!” NOOOO! Go back to school and focus on your studies, Daniel!

Mark Andrew – The Temptations’ “Papa Was A Rolling Stone” — Grade: C | To quote Sex and City’s Lexi Featherston, “I’m so bored I could die!” I know, I know… at first blush, that seems like an overly harsh assessment of a performance that was mostly in tune. But Mark’s Dave Matthews-esque arrangement — combined with his total failure to dig in to any portion of the song — left me scratching my head wondering if he’s following The C.J. Harris How to Finish Sixth on Idol (But Leave the Impression You Finished 11th) Handbook.

Rayvon Owen – The Temptations’ “My Girl” — Grade: B+ | One of the least exciting Motown classics, immaculately sung. I mean, that final falsetto run was one of the finest vocal moments we’ve experienced on Idol in the last two years. But the judges were not without a point when they expressed a desire to see more colors than shiny, happy Rayvon. If he can tap into his inner Kris Allen and serve up subtle shades of sexy (with the occasional dose of social consciousness), Rayvon could be the tortoise to some of this season’s flashier hares.

Adam Ezegelian – The Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back” — Grade: C+ | Props to Adam for putting a rock twist on a boppy oldies jam, but unless he pulls back the wild-and-crazy-guy expressions, it’s hard to see him as more than a novelty act. After all, while rock-and-rollers are supposed to be having a good time, the goal of this exercise is to find the next Kelly Clarkson or Chris Daughtry, not the host of karaoke night in a mid-sized metropolitan pub.

Clark Beckham – The Miracles’ “The Tracks Of My Tears — Grade: B | Like Adam, Clark took risks with his arrangement — the final verse sounded like a jam session from The Commitments. But I have to agree with J.Lo — I needed a little more heart and a little less head in the end product. Perhaps a return to the piano will help the pillow-lipped crooner rediscover some of his Hollywood Week front-runner mojo? Also, I can’t stress this enough — though it’s a little unfair during Motown Week — dude needs to mix up the Old Soul Tour with an occasional current number.

Nick Fradiani – Stevie Wonder’s “Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours” — Grade: B+ | I could’ve listened to the acoustic portion of his performance all night (and into tomorrow morning). The arrangement and vibe got a tad more pedestrian — though no less technically lovely — once the band kicked in, but then again when you’re putting your own twist on Stevie Wonder and making the notes look effortless, you’re almost a shoo-in for the Top 10.

Qaasim Middleton – Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish” — Grade: B+ | I’m not sure anybody’s worked this hard to entertain the Idol audience since Fantasia Barrino — the braid-flip on the line “nappy-headed boy” made me howl with glee and the subsequent leg kicks, spins and facial intensity had me completely glued to my TV Screen. J.Lo’s right, though, that Qaasim needs to remind us at some point that he’s got the vocal chops, too — but at this early stage in the competition, it’s probably the smarter play to be unforgettable than it is to be unassailable.

Quentin Alexander — Stevie Wonder’s “Master Blaster (Jammin’)” — Grade: A- | Insert heart-eyed emoji + Hand-clap/Prayer-hand emoji + Martini emoji here. This dude’s tone is the butter to the flour-biscuit of his exceedingly vibealicious delivery. If he wins this whole enchilada — or even makes the Top 5 — then Fox would have to be completely boneheaded not to get him a guest gig on Empire. Yes, what I’m trying to say is that I want Quentin to record his solo debut at Ghetto-Ass Studio — with Cookie Lyon behind the boards. Tell me this wouldn’t get a 4.0 demo rating, folks!

SHOULD Go Home Next Week: Daniel, Mark
WILL Go Home Next Week: Rayvon, Adam (SO GO TO GOOGLE AND VOTE FOR RAYVON RIGHT NOW, DAMMIT!)

Your turn. Who’d you love from the Top 8 guys? Who should be and who will be at risk? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Jessamine says:

I understand why the producers chose to eliminate singers this way, but I was very disappointed that four people got unnecessary coaching and time from the band and vocal coaches. Seems like a waste.

• Gailer says:

Maybe they didn’t get any?

• Cori says:

Hopefully they can apply the coaching to their future musical careers.

• Timmah says:

If you can’t even make the top 16 on a pathetic show like this, you have no future musical career.

• I am so concerned that Daniel is making it far in this competition. That worries me greatly that more talented people, like Savion are gonna go home, and he stays and stays. Overall I think this was the only way to eliminate people. They didn’t’ want to do it in the beginning because that would be a downer, and no drama left. So without the results show this is the only way to do it. Though it will suck for the last person to perform every week, because sure they get saved but they also have to sit there for an hour or two getting all nervous that they are gone. I wonder if they will change it for the live shows, but I kinda feel this will be the format now. I think Mark and Daniel should be gone next week.

• Jaszy says:

DANIEL HAS TO GO! PLEASE, WHOEVER IS VOTING FOR HIM…THEY NEED TO STOP!

• Temperance says:

Daniel was awful tonight, so I hope you’re right.

• Jaszy says:

I’m satisfied with the top 8 guys, except for one pick: Daniel Seavey. Please don’t let him be another Sanjaya or Lazaro. We don’t need it! We don’t need it at all…not when there are better male singers who have gone home tonight (Savion Wright especially) and who will continue to go home as the weeks pass.

• The Other Leah says:

He’s this year’s CJ, Lazaro… H

• A fan says:

I don’t get why the judges keep saying Daniel is wildly talented when he clearly is not. His voice is thin and often off pitch. It seems reasonable that the contestants should have at least gone through puberty before being on the show.

• joy1013 says:

I totally agree. Daniel needs to go. All but 2 sound like karaoke singers to me and nothing special. I don’t get the daniel hype Ans I don’t think the right people went home!

• kenz says:

I love Daniels voice he is soi amazing his tone is pleasent Andi think he deserves to make it far he inspires me yes he’s young but the better for teenage girls to watch the show and I think his voice is so fun to listen too younger performers like him USally can’t make it to topo 12 but he did that means a lot his voice is amazing goooooo Daniel

• kenz says:

OK this whole shoe isn’t bout the looks buy h also I has a look too be a star imagine if he becomes famous teenagers will by a loy of his Albums and his voice is amazing like I sing a long with him I smile he’s so cute he should go further

• JMay says:

Troll alert! Go home, Timmah, you’re drunk.

• Nadobee says:

If it’s so pathetic, STOP watching!

• Smokey says:

I can see why Michael gave this top 8 show a WTF review.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Tell that to Hillary Scott. I don’t think she ever got past the first audition with the judges despite multiple attempts. But yeah, she’s the exception and certainly the not the rule.

• R says:

1. Not true
          2. American Idol isnt pathetic

• Becca says:

So, do we lose 2 more next week? Two boys two girls? to make top 12? Or are they going straight to top 10? So confused. And the elimination was very weird.

• Colbie Cailllat and Hillary Scott will probably disagree with you :)

• sandie says:

If pitch and originality count, and awesome talent?? Definitely JAX for Ladies! Nothing close………….. the guys are 2 hard 2 choose! Or not?

• Shel says:

It makes me sad to think of them all practicing and not getting to sing their songs. I hate this new format.

• Ginger Snap says:

So did vote for your 5 favorite guys?

2. Kaba says:

An unfathomable wrong happened tonight.
    Sigh, Savion, you WILL be avenged.
    Quentin is so dope, love the dude. Qaasim is a wonderful individual as well.
    Why are Daniel, Adam, and Mark still here?

• Gailer says:

Ahhhhh Savion! I’m pissed

• Runner says:

LOL. I really enjoy Adam. I don’t get Daniel though and totally forgot about Mark. Mark seems to be coasting – it seems way too early for that…

• James says:

I’m going to miss Savion, but I can see why he went home. He gave a subpar performance for the first live show (tbh I cant remember what he even sang), but it was either going to be him or Clark. Still Savion has artistry and I want to see him again one day

• Jaszy says:

Unfortunately, for those 4 boys (Riley, Michael, Trevor, and Savion), they were my picks to go home based solely on their performances that were shown last week. I wanted Daniel to be one of them but I knew he wasn’t going anywhere because of his teen-bait appeal.

• acrossthebay says:

jazzy, thats some seriously good picking to nail those 4 guys. Can you give us a heads up on the women ahead of tonights show??

• kayell says:

I picked those 4 too, it was pretty obvious. Trevor, Michael and Riley were a travesty. Daniel too, but he’s too cute to be eliminated. The next was Savion. Thus, the four of them.
          The girls are harder to predict. It will be Shi and Shannon for sure. Adanna or Loren will fight for the same votes, so one of them. Alexis and Maddie will fight for the country vote, so one of them too. Probz Adanna for being in the death spot and Alexis for being less cute, though I hope it is Maddie. Katherine could be in danger too. Hard to tell with the girls

• Becca says:

Because we all predicted maybe Daniel and Mark would go home, Im betting now that Shi and Lovey will make it. America obviously thinks differently than we do! LOL. Im thinking it will be Shi, Lovey,Sarina Joi, Alexis,Adonna, Tyanna, Jax, Joey. Those are the 8 I think will get in! Lets see what happens. I liked Katherine Winston too, but I dont think she will make it!

• Alexis says:

im a teen and to be honest I think he looks 11

• Ben says:

It is pretty fathomable.

Not happy about it, but it was obvious to me from idol’s history that at least one african american man was about to be cut, despite not deserving it. Savion was the one who did least well of the four last week. So that is why I fathom it.

• TiaGata says:

@ Ben – I totally agree with your statement. They have their “usual” reality show mix of what they believe the demographics want to see. Anyway, I would have picked Savion over Quassim because I am sure he would be able to deliver vocally over the long haul and Quassim is trying to be a showman.

• Daniel is the worst…I’d even trade him for Trevor Douglas.

• Becca says:

It looks like we are all upset about the same person being sent home! Savion! If there is a wild card lets all vote for him! Lets get him back on the wild card! There is still hope.

• Ben says:

I will say this though. Despite idol saying these were ‘in no particular order’, I don’t think the order was any coincidence. I think it was reverse vote order. So I think Daniel was actually 8th… close to elimination. That may help people take heart.

• Mary says:

We can only hope, but unfortunately America doesn’t always vote for voice but because he is so cute. Whoever voted for them I suggest going to see a specialist and have their hearing checked. Cute or not he should not be there.

• acrossthebay says:

Ben, i think you’re exactly correct on the reverse order call, but as we know from prior years, guys like Daniel can live on beyond all possible logic.

• Puchinsmom says:

Yes, Ben. You may be right! I kept thinking they were picking the least talented, and my least favorites. It made me really annoyed. I don’t expect Daniel to be leaving yet though.

• joy1013 says:

Idk about that. Daniel has the most twitter followers out of any contestant. It really makes no sense to me.

• jen mac says:

I agree with you I thought this was a talent competition. Unfortunately this show has become another reality show. Let’s see who stays tonight when it’s the girls turn. I know a lot of people like Jax but I just don’t get it. Her use of bravado is totally over the top, she sounds fake, over affected and childlike. I didn’t like her throwing the mic stand down, what was that??? If Simon were still around I could imagine what he would thought of that.

3. James says:

Power Rankings (based on this week and previous weeks)
    1) QUENTIN ALEXANDER
    2) Clark Beckham
    3) Rayvon Owen
    4) Qaasim Middleton +1
    5) Nick Fradiani -1
    6) Mark Andrew +1
    7) Daniel Seavey -1
    8) Adam Ezegalian
    R.I.P Savion Wright, hope to hear you in the future

• R says:

Spoiler(only read past line of you want to read spoiler
      —————–

There will be wildcards

• Puchinsmom says:

Are you SURE??? That would be sooo cool. I voted for Savion since he was listed. Maybe that was the deal there? And BTW, thank you for being a nice person and warning about a spoiler. Not everyone has done that this season….

• James says:

Savion come back to us PLEASE

4. Kim Moores says:

Nick is so bland. Vocally good, bland as hell. No real soul in that performance.

• Runner says:

I think tonight was just weird. It must be hard to hear you’re moving on and then have to sing right away…

• Jaszy says:

Bland?!? You’re crazy! I love Nick!
      This is what I typed about him as I was watching his performance:
      NICK! Was waiting for this dude! Whew! He’s my favorite male singer in this competition. Just love his voice.
      Feeling this rendition of this classic song! His experience just oozes from him! Nick always gives me the feels! I have a good feeling, that regardless of what happens with his chances on the show, he’s going to have a legitimate career post-Idol. This is how you perform!
      I actually understand where Keith’s coming from. There did appear to be a slight discomfort, but I couldn’t place whether it was from the guitar or what…
      Doesn’t matter! Nick HAS to get through! He’s the best!
      Love this guy! His smile is to die for, I agree with Harry.

• Smokey says:

Bad song choice. Nothing to get into to show vocal sweet spots. Most of the songs tonight were just plain bad for the singers styles. The night, overall, was a Fail.

• James says:

Well when has Motown night ever been a success?

• AlyB says:

I think a big part of the eye rolling monotony of tonight was the Motown theme. I wish they’d bury it once and for all. I’m so over it even the best performances get a shoulder shrug.

• MAB says:

I totally agree with you. Watching last night I wondered why they continue with this theme. I told my husband it stinks every year.

• TiaGata says:

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t understand why they are still doing “theme” nights, it doesn’t prove a thing to me. Just let them sing and if they sound good, folks will vote for them.

• Puchinsmom says:

There are better and meatier song choices. I can’t remember what I read Sarina was going to sing, but hers sounded perfect for showing off her spectacular voice.
        Last night WAS a FAIL for sure. I was really disappointed. I hope tonight is better. But don’t blame Motown. Maybe some better mentoring on the song choices??

• Alan Dvorkis says:

Could not agree more. Mark is equally boring. At least they sing in tune. That is better than most. Terrible job by America. Sad, as this season had much potential.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Mark Andrew is a good vocalist but his performance of “Papa was a Rolling Stone”, much like his performance of “The Weight” last week just lacked grit and heart. It’s as if there is no emotion there. Someone wrote he was “coasting”. I can agree with that.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And why was he singing all the way through the song? What was that about? Remember Alison Iraheta’s version of “Papa was a Rolling Stone”?

• darcy's evil twin says:

OOPSIE, “smiling” all the way through the song!

• marie says:

Yes, I remember Alison’s version – as I remember it, everything she sang was golden. It was good to see her singing backup on Idol – was it last year? Hope we see her again. She’s terrific, and she deserves to break out into a solo career just as Melinda has.

5. Larc says:

It will be a little difficult for Qaasim to remind us he has vocal chops when he doesn’t have them. He’s quite the performer, but no degree of that excuses poor vocals. After all, that’s not where the rubber meets the road when somebody records an album.

• Kaba says:

What does recording an album have to do with any of this? There are plenty of singers (Katy Perry) who’re vocal fails putting out albums.

• Timmah says:

Katy Perry’s not nearly as bad as Qassim.

• Temperance says:

Um, no. Perry used to have trouble live. She worked her touchie off and she’s actually excellent live now (Rihanna was the same way – nails on a chalkboard originally). There are no shortage of poor live singers, why pick on someone that’s actually good?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Mmmmm…. I’d argue Rihanna and Perry are still rather awful in the present as well. The one who has made a dramatic 180 is Miley Cyrus. I was floored when she sang live on the SNL 40 year reunion special and — gasp — sounded good!

• Becca says:

Oh Kaba You are preaching to the choir! What you say is so true!

• Gailer says:

I’m glad he was called out for it too

• Runner says:

I am totally glad Q is still around, and yes, he needed a little reminder that this is a “singing” competition. Singing. I still love watching him though… We’ll see if he takes the advice next week…

• Jaszy says:

Qaasim is the ” funky performer” of the boys! I feel that if he’s not careful, his schtick will get a little old. He needs to show more versatility in his song choices. So far, he’s picked up-tempo groovy performances. This is not a dancing competition. Unfortunately, his vocals suffered considerably because he was dancing too much. However, I do love his ENERGY! Qaasim always brings the energy.
      Jennifer’s critique was spot-on.
      I do believe that Qaasim needs to tone down his gangster (for lack of a better term) facial expressions/body language.
      He looked slightly demonic/possessed when he was staring into the camera while he was walking off the stage…I bet those other boys were like “Why is he staring down the camera like that?” Lol.

• Becca says:

Jaszy He is so funky! He has had African dance training (saw it on u tube) and its CRAZZZYY, and then also hip hop dance. He is a great entertainer, but he is prob going to have to show more of his voice on the show. He is so uplifting to watch!

• A fan says:

It seems to me that he’s attempting a Michael Jackson vibe to his performances. It’s very distracting to me and even annoying at times. I wish he would cut it out and just sing!

• Tommyo2000 says:

Like Michael said “the smarter play to be unforgettable than it is to be unassailable.” he is playing a smart game, build up your fan base now, that can carry him far. He can show different side of himself, and make a mistake if he has a huge following. If his talent is dancing, then show that first and grow into the other things later. If he were trying to stretch himself first, and he give a bad performance he could be gone, If he does it later he can survive a bad performance. last hing would be for him to have gone home before he showed how he moves…. BTW, the most exciting performer for Idol since Joshua Ledet … I see a lot of James Brown, MJ, and Prince in his stage persona …

• AlyB says:

I’m glad Quaasim made it into this round because he is fun to watch. I actually hope he makes the tour but I don’t want to see him go much deeper into the competition unless there really is some serious vocal talent in there I haven’t heard yet.

• RD says:

Not one mention of the fact that his entire performance he sang flat. I thought at least Harry might say something,(or you,Slezak!). And his other performances have been very vocally underwhelming. . And where was Aretha’s mentoring?Disappointed.

• Viajero says:

I actually thought his vocals were quite decent this time, despite all the dancing. Not great, but not bad either.

6. analythinker says:

Poor Savion, he’s overshadowed by the more entertaining (not necessarily more creative or better vocally) ones.

• Gailer says:

I think it was his song choices, don’t even remember them. Errrrrr I’ve been for him since last season

• Mark S says:

Hey Soul Sister was probably his worst performance. However, he still should have stayed before some of the others (Daniel, Mark, Adam) just by track record, I don’t know what is going to happen next week.

• Runner says:

Yep, song choice did him in. It’s certainly not his voice or ability. He just picked the wrong time to do such a subtle song. Happens…

• Natalie says:

So true. It’s sad because his voice is actually much better than Qaasim’s and Quentin’s, and his vocal choices are so interesting,,,But he was so overshadowed by the stage antics of the other two :( Hoping for a wild card for Savion!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Savion certainly deserved a spot more than Daniel.

7. Claimer of Bold Thoughts says:

BOLD CLAIM: Rayvon, Quentin, Nick and Clark are among the best guys we have ever heard on Idol.

I am very afraid to get attached to any of them because I just don’t know how secure they will be. Adam is very karaoke, Daniel is just so young and Mark doesn’t really seem like the singing competition show type. I think I would have rather seen any of the three/four of the eliminated guys make it instead of them.

Makes me nervous as to how voting will go this season. O_O

• Runner says:

Yup, I was holding my breath, until they scooped up Quentin. He was great again tonight!

• Tina says:

Agreed. Adam is too wild for my taste. I hope the 4 you mentioned go far in the competition.

• A fan says:

I completely agree,with your choices for the top four. Daniel has to go! He’s not in the same league with even the least of the others. You can only go so far on being cute.

8. Taylor Cassell says:

Daniel is talented but Savion is a much more polished and well rounded performer and got SO robbed here. It annoys me that Daniel got through based mostly on cuteness and it scares me that more casualties will occur because of his nice smile. Let’s cross our fingers and hope we don’t have Shi going through tomorrow instead of someone like Tyanna or Sarina because I may riot if that happens.

• LeslieB says:

High five on that comment!!

• Jaszy says:

YES! Daniel is only here because he’s cute…and it annoys the crap out of me! Why??? Just why?!?
      Daniel is Sam. Daniel is Lazaro. Daniel is Sanjaya.

• AlyB says:

Yes. Sam actually had a great voice but was never able to actually sing with any modulation or feeling. Daniel is simply awful. Seeing him go through first put me in a sour mood for the rest of the show because I just knew someone I really liked would get cut. Daniel is going to be the one this season, and there’s always that one, that makes me grrrrrr every time I see his smirking baby face on my tv. It’s the beginning of the season and I already can’t stand him. I hope putting him first was an indication of his weak position in the voting results. I want him gone.

• Jaszy says:

Daniel does sing in tune on occasion….not always though…as evidenced by this performance. I just think if he makes it as far as Sam did with lackluster performances…then he is definitely Sam.
          The three people I just mentioned from previous seasons all made it further than they should have. I think (but hope not) that Daniel’s going to be like that…making it far while more talented people go home.
          This is what I meant by my original comment.

• Ben says:

Daniel is Sam, or Aaron, or Tim. He is not Lazaro or Sanjaya. There is a big difference there.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m sorry, but I kind of get tired of people bashing Tim Urban and it’s unfair to compare him to Daniel. Tim had a nice voice and consistently stayed in key during an otherwise dreadful season. I still remember his reggae version of the Stones’ “Under My Thumb” – my husband and I enjoyed it but Urban was pummeled for that performance. My husband, who only watches the program vicariously, couldn’t figure out why in the world Tim was clobbered – you’re told to “make it your own” but when he made it his own he was criticized.
          Tim’s performance of Elvis Presley’s “I can’t Help Falling in Love With You” was very nice.

• karenb says:

I thought that Tim was improving each week. That’s one of the main reasons I love Idol-I like watching the contestants improve as the show goes on. I thought he had potential.

• Ben says:

What made you put that under my comment? I’m tired of people bashing Daniel Seavey. I’m trying to say Daniel may not be the best in the world but he can sing. His performances are not terrible like Sanjaya or Lazaro.

• Payten says:

I agree that Daniel is not as terrible as Lazaro was, and at least Daniel is on tune. Lazaro never could find the tune and at least Daniel remembers his lyrics

• Tom22 says:

I hear a guy experimenting with some interesting rythms and hear a personality that feels like he’s got the sun on his shoulders and the world ahead of him. Those are nice feelings to hear put to music. Quassim has that too, and so does Adam.

• Mafs95 says:

You won’t have Shi robbing Sarina or Tyanna’s spot because those were two of the three standouts last week. At most, people like Maddie, Katherine or Loren can go home instead of Shi or Shannon… which I hope not!

• Smokey says:

From a number of site surveys I seen around the net, Shi was usually rated last, so very doubtful she will make top 8.—- if those surveys are a real indication.

9. MAB says:

I am so disappointed. I had high hopes for this season but now I am not too sure. I thought last week was a fluke and they were having an off week but two weeks in a row? I hope the girls do better than they did last week. Fingers are crossed.

10. Pete says:

Daniel is completely out of his league now. If he goes any further it’ll be a travesty along the lines of Sanjaya/Lazaro.

• Gailer says:

He’s much worse than them. Was keith shocked he’s still in it?

• CK says:

He’s too young for them to ever say it though so I expect his critiques to be inane, unhelpful mumblings in the vein of what Sam received last season. Sigh, maybe America will send him home next week, before we have to grin and bear it as better singers are eliminated at his expense.

• Becca says:

I Love Qaasim and Quentin! Just wanted to let everyone know Im from Portland, where Daniel is from! I think he has 2 states voting for him. He is from Vancouver Washington which is just across a bridge from Portland Oregon. So the 2 states are definitely hooked together! He is cute but really too young! They are also having huge “Daniel voting and viewing Parties” in both states! Not good news. So that is how he will be in the competition a while!

• joy1013 says:

crossing my fimgers!

• as says:

Daniel is one of the producers pets. They pushed him in with the endless cutesy edit…so he’s in with the little tween…the desired demographic This show always was a REALITY scripted program, but now it’s a complete joke. Savion give the VOICE a try.

11. karenb says:

Why?! Why?! This is terrible, terrible, terrible! Savion looked so SAD. There are three other guys who made it through who have no business being there. Robbed!! Wild Card?! Please for the love of God, have it, and use it on Savion!

12. Gailer says:

I voted for Quentin, but I think DeAndre did a much better version of that song tonight

13. Runner says:

Michael, I think this is a strong top 8. There are too many strong singers for Savion to be put through just because of strong *past* performances. Honestly, he was just kinda okay last week, and that’s being generous.

This show was great. Energy. Lots of potential stars. Great, super fun performances. I mean when was the last time Motown night sounded so fresh and new? I happily voted for at least 5 singers tonight. Haven’t done that in a while.

• Craig says:

Agree. Savion chose a HORRIBLE song, performed it blandly and was forgettable. He bought his own ticket home by doing crappy.

• Mary says:

I agree but sorry Daniel didn’t do any better regarding song choice and he most certainly didn’t preform it better. Lets face it Daniel is going to get the he so cute votes it has nothing to do with his performances. I blame the producers for putting him in the first place. He probably will end up winning, but who knows maybe Scott can work his magic look what he did with Taylor, not the best voice.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree, runner. I’m kind of tired of people complaining about how bad this season is. It’s pretty darned good compared to some past seasons despite a few missteps.

• Mary says:

I wouldn’t say bad but man was I disappointed and frustrated last night. I had hope America would get it right but who was I kidding we always get some duds in the mix. Now if Daniel stays longer than Nick, the two Q and Rayvon then yes I might change my mind.

14. tonnie says:

Trevor!!!!!

15. Adam says:

Ready for Sarina-Joi to continue proving why she must win.

16. Lemon says:

Very sad about Savion. I would like to exchange one Daniel Seavey for one Savion, please…where’s the cashier?

I have officially joined the Clark, Quassim, and Rayvon train tonight. Last week they didn’t do it for me, but all three really brought it this week. When Rayvon smiles, the room spins, and I forget where I am. What was I saying?…..

Quentin was pushed to edge of a nervous breakdown by the vote reveal tonight. Still, he reminded me why he is my fave when it comes to the guys. Truly, truly gifted person.

I am really excited about the guys this year.

• Gdv says:

Agree with everything you said. Would exchange Daniel for savion any day!!!
      (And Rayvon is one good looking dude. Happy he’s got vocals to match.)

17. Timmah says:

I get the feeling they really want someone whose name starts with a Q to win.

• Michael H. says:

This comment is so true

• Jay says:

Qax or Qlark?

• Michael H. says:

I’ll take Qax, Qarina, Quentin, and Qick at this point lol

• Temperance says:

Yup, they should qwin.

• Alan Dvorkis says:

They tortured Clark with unnecessary criticism. He gave one of the best performances tonight and got criticized by all 3. I do not understand why TPTB, would want him out, but that was the impression I got tonight. I hope I am wrong as he is absolutely one of the best this year.

• Jaszy says:

watch the performance back and you will see that he was pitchy as all get out but the judges didn’t say nothing about his pitch…he needs to stop picking the same types of songs.

• Temperance says:

Actually, I just watched it again, and it was actually not anywhere near as pitchy as people implied. It sounded like he was having some breathing issues here and there. Maybe he’s fighting a cold or something because that’s not typical.

• Isleno says:

Second that. Clark blew everyone away; only Quentin and Rayvon were close in performance and voice. Clark is so good that judges are already parsing polished-professional-quality style choices. In this case, three styles slid ”Tears of a Clown” into a solid wall of song. It showed off just enough of Clark’s range while singing was believable, first note-to-last.. His tempo changes were straight out of a Gospel tent at the Jazz & Heritage Fest. This guy is a major talent.

• A fan says:

I like Clark and thought he did ok with the song but Adam Lambert did a fantastic version in his season that made Clark’s seem like amateur hour. Some songs probably shouldn’t be done again. ” Mad World” would be another one on the don’t repeat list.

• Charlotte says:

There is no one like Adam Lambert on American Idol. He was the best and should have won, but when voting was not limited you would always get a busy signal. Back in those days you would vote for the whole two hours and at the end, more! He was my favorite of all time. None of these contestants this year even compare to him, so anyone doing a song he did will be compared and fail. I myself liked Trevor Douglas and Mike Simeon. I couldn’t vote because I have no TV to watch and have to see everything after the fact (and for Wed. night I didn’t realize the guys sang and were being eliminated by voting.) Also, it seems people are saying they were all off key (girls too) and I am wondering if it was the sound system where they couldn’t hear themselves sing, the sound just isn’t as good in the place where they were singing, or if their nerves got to them by the way they sat and waited to hear if they were safe and told to sing in the excitement…that way is a poor way to start the season, I think. You shouldn’t double their nerves by this procedure, we want to hear their voices at top notch. Motown songs I thought were not the best choices and everyone wants to sing Stevie Wonder when there are a lot of other songs that would fit their voices….but then again I heard they are only given so many song choices…I think Idol should rethink the song offers then…same old songs GET OLD and we are tired of hearing them, sorry. I think for picking the 10 finalists, the song should be the singer’s choice and NO THEME for that critical time…Poor Alexis was just too country for that Motown song and made a fool of herself to many. I haven’t seen all the judges comments yet as I have to watch the videos on youtube and they only had the solo singers with no comments on the other day…soon they will post the whole episode so I can see for myself what was said. Clark does have a nice voice, but I like Qaasim because he is a real performer but I still have to listen AGAIN to the videos and pay closer attention to the singing as everyone says they were pitchy. I didn’t notice on some, but then again I wasn’t concentrating on finding fault, but enjoying their performances. Like I said, there could have been something wrong with the sound or where they performed just doesn’t have the best acoustics. Best of luck to all the contestants and just remember to go with your heart on the songs you choose….and be YOURSELF!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I really like Clark (oh, those blue eyes!) He had a few missed notes but overall his performance was good. Harry’s critique was right on the money – a song needs a beginning, a middle, and an end. I can’t say I was wild with how Clark ended the song. I realize they’re trying to show off several vocal abilities and tell a story in, what, 90 seconds? Keith’s critique was also very good – with some beautiful, lyrical melodies it’s just best to sing the song. That said, I do remember Adam Lambert’s performance, which was awesome. I personally thing the judges gave good, constructive commentary.

• Tom22 says:

It was actually my favorite of Clark’s performances but it wasn’t enough to win me over. I had thought some of his others were over sung and this one had a number of smooth and pretty interesting parts. My quibbles were probably more based upon lack of elan with the rhythmic flow that made it sound less in charge that it could be. You can be soft and gentle and still in charge by creating anticipation and crisp entries making what notes you choose to emphasize with relative dynamics seem very deliberate. (something Ed Sheeren does and in a louder way that Adam did very well).
          Also, does Clark look unwell to anyone else ? His smile and bearing looked like he might have been in some physical pain. Did his eyes look sort of red ? It could have effected the feelings within the vocals.

18. Aprilcot says:

I don’t get all the “Mark is boring” comments; I really enjoy him! Rayvon has a beautiful voice but the dude starts singing and I have to try to stay awake. That said, the only make contestant that I dislike that’s left is Daniel.

• Jobless says:

I wouldn’t call Mark a bad singer at all but he is soooooooo boring. I legitimately can’t believe he garnered enough votes to go through.

• Jaszy says:

I voted for him. He lacks certain stage presence. But his vocals were on point. I love that type of music, so I really enjoyed that performance.

• Lori says:

I agree with you, Mark is getting all my votes tonight. I’m just glad this forum is not reflective of the voting public.

• Temperance says:

Mark’s interpretations have been very dull so far. He’s got a great voice, but he’s not doing anything GREAT or memorable with it, and he’s not doing anything interesting with the song. It’s just karaoke with a better level of voice so far. He obviously CAN do a lot more.

• aimee says:

I agree. I love Mark. Out of the boys left, he is my favorite.

19. I do not need Daniel (so underdeveloped), Mark (bores me to TEARS, even with a nice tone), or Adam (loveable, and I’ll accept him out of the three. But we just had Caleb.) in this competition. Thinking of a top 6 guys, it’s disappointing that we’ll have to have at least one of them in there – I thought Riley, in particular, was stellar (I suppose people found him too boring). I guess I’ll take Adam out of those three along with the other 5 for the top 12.

• Gailer says:

Riley was a lot better than Daniel if the kiddies were voting. it is interesting how we have no country singers this season?

• James says:

There is one major difference between Caleb and Adam… Caleb was GREAT, and Adam is EXCEPTABLE. See… it doesn’t incite much excitement with that word. Adam is the Season 14 equivalent to Ace Young minus the looks (that was a lot crueler in writing than my head)

20. Hader B Haden says:

Overall, a pretty weak show. Only Quentin sounded anything close to stardom, and the best I could give him is a B+, and that’s being generous. The rest of the show was underwhelming. Qaasim is an entertainer, but is he singer? I’m not sure. Everyone else? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Mytake says:

Agree with this. Adam, Mark and Daniel have no business advancing further as far as I’m concerned. Really, maybe it was the setting or accoustics but while some were downright bad, they all sounded less than stellar. I didn’t hear one person tonight that I thought was fantastic. Seems we are now grading the guys on a bell curve where the “best” wouldn’t even be considered “good” in many past years.

• Mary says:

This 100%. Do they have interns taping these shows. I heard a echo when they were singing that I found irritating. I even thought Aretha sounded off, but I thought maybe that was due to age. I am hoping when they get back to LA they have worked out all there kinks. Even the top singers sounded off. Maybe it was the Filmore who knows.

• Betsy says:

Agree. Boring. The girls are much better.

• Jaszy says:

Yep! Yep! The girls are always better. whose the most successful after the show? WOMEN!

• Timmah says:

I think the girls are going to show us tomorrow how it’s done. At the very least, they can’t be worse than what we saw tonight.

• MAB says:

They didn’t last week. There was only three decent performances out of 12. Last week we were saying the guys were better. Let’s hope the girls knock it out of the park this week. I can’t wait to see what Jax is going to do. Love her.

• Timmah says:

I thought the girls were much better than the guys last week. I guess it’s all a matter of opinion.

21. danin says:

Dan/D, Mark/C, Rayvon/B+, Adam/C+, Clark(one of my faves)/C-, Nick(not one of my faves/B- (he should a gotten rid of the guitar, in fact he&Clark should have switched songs),Quassim/C- on the vocals), THANKGOD QUENTIN WAS SAVED, my other fave,B+.

22. I had a feeling that Savion would be the casualty of viewer voting this week. I hated his song choice last week and I think he and Rayvon did some vote splitting. Whoever is voting for Adam and Daniel needs to STOP! Very surprised to lose Riley! Thought the country vote might get him through. So I am okay with saying goodbye to Trevor and Micheal. They kinda stalled out at the HOB round for me. If the voting can get Clark, Rayvon, Quentin, Quassim and Nick through to the top 10 for me…I will be a happy camper!

• Jaszy says:

I won’t stop voting for Adam…I love him…but maybe I love his personality more than his voice…
      I will agree, however, on Daniel! He sucks! Just, please, do the MAJORITY, of us all a favor…and go home!

23. metitometin says:

Adam is just so grating and he’s a 1 trick pony. Does he have to bring a hard rock screaming edge to everything he does? How did he ever advance this far?

24. drock says:

Are we really surprised Daniel made it? This is how viewers have always voted. I’m just relieved Clark, Quentin, Rayvon and Nick made it. Having Savion in there would have made for the best top 10 guys ever. I hope its these 4 and Qaasim in the top 5. Please America, do not vote Daniel or Adam.

• Jaszy says:

I’m definitely not surprised. I just wish it would stop happening. Daniel does not deserve to be there based on his vocals.

25. karenb says:

Side note-W. T. F. is a great title for the recap. And the Sex and the City link cracked me up too!

26. Poor Savion says:

My heart breaks for Savion. I would gladly trade Mark, Daniel, and Adam for him (and I even like Mark). Clark’s TOMT made me miss Idol’s “real” Adam (Lambert, if you don’t know what I mean, I love his TOMT cover). If this new voting system works as well this year as it did last year, it better be 2 of Adam, Daniel, and/or Mark that gets cut next week. The vote limits were supposed to put a stop to these injustices (I don’t even know if that is a word, and I know I’m being overdramatic).

27. Srh says:

Wow, a “The Commitments” reference. This is why I love Michael.
    I said that I would stop watching If Qaasim and Quentin didn’t go through this week. Thank goodness.
    And Daniel, ugh, the only thing I can say that I haven’t seen on here yet is that the kid does not know how to finish the sound of any word at the end of phrase/sentence/whatever. His lack of enunciation drives me crazy. In a bad way, just to be clear.

28. Michael H. says:

I have already voted for Rayvon, Qaasim, Quentin, and Nick, and now I’m done for tonight’s voting session. That was not toooo hot of a night, but my top 4 all did well.

• Jobless says:

Those 4 along with Clark are the clear Top 5 for the guys. Even with tonight’s results, if we can get to a point where those are the five guys left then America has done well.

• Michael H. says:

Yep pretty much. I would be super happy, in fact, if it was those 5 in the Top 12 overall, I would say that we would perhaps have the strongest guys in seasons. Perhaps since the double-trouble of Kris and Adam in Season 8?

• Jaszy says:

Slow jam funk man, Quentin. I knew he was making it. This performance was giving me Bob Marley meets Jimi Hendrix vibes all the way!
      Yes, I agree with Harry. The performance was lacking a certain energy because he was the last pick…he was nervous, understandably.

29. Jobless says:

These aren’t the 8 guys I would’ve chosen but if we can lose two of Mark, Adam, and Daniel then I think the right ones will mostly be there. I feel bad for Savion but maybe next time don’t come out with a hopelessly vanilla song choice like “Hey Soul Sister” in a spot where you really really need votes.

30. Ashly says:

I think Adam should go home before Mark. I spy some potential in Mark. Adam’s crazy faces during his performance almost made me too scared to watch the show while home alone. Dude was creeping me out.

31. I was DEVASTATED that savion didn’t go through!!! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT. I don’t care if it wasn’t his personal best, the point is he really would have been immediate top 4!!! On that note, I was relieved that Quentin and rayvon survived. PLEASE VOTE FOR BOTH OF THEM AMERICA!!! :)

32. Kara says:

I am quite sick of Stevie Wonder songs for a while now.

• Smokey says:

there had to be some good song choices the guys did not use, the show could have been better if they got away from some of that overdone material.

• safado says:

“I Wish” has to be one of my least favorite Wonder songs. Sometimes his convoluted lyrics are just ridiculous.

33. And it was absolutely no surprise that Nick and Clark survived. These two are just EXTRODINARY!!! :)

• Jaszy says:

Nick…100%! His vocals are always FLAWLESS!
      Clark? Eh…not so much. Listen to all of his performances again. He’s consistently either sharp or flat. He has pitch problems all the time.

• Temperance says:

No, he doesn’t have pitch issues. He had some breath issues here and there tonight, but I reviewed the ep and he’s on pitch.

• Ben says:

He was, honestly, awful tonight. Breath AND pitch issues. On the other hand, Qaasim was on pitch, but he creates breath issues too.

I am (or was) a big Clark fan. But honestly I thought he was by far the worst tonight – and that includes Daniel Seabey.

• Viajero says:

I didn’t like Nick at all, but I think it was mostly because of the arrangement rather than the vocals. It sucked all the umph out of the song.

34. Tina says:

Clark is gorgeous and I thought did way better than a B tonight. Best song selection too!

35. Fangirl says:

Savion~ you were robbed….

36. jaded says:

Just be honest. If Adam wasn’t heavy and was better looking, you’d all be singing a different tune. I think he has a good voice but American Idol is not the Voice and looks are much more important. If he sounds crappy next week then ok. But be honest.

• Timmah says:

I think he’s a really good singer and I want him to go through to the finals. They need at least one rocker in the mix anyway.

• daynamonet says:

He was actually on The Voice too as well, so I’ve heard, and I don’t think he made it that far. I personally don’t judge people off the way they look, I judge how they sound, song choice, and stage presence and Mark just doesn’t excite me on any of those levels.

• daynamonet says:

Sorry I thought you were talking about Mark, my bad. But same thing applies except for him being on The Voice. Adam is no Caleb though when it comes to voice and performing.

• Jaszy says:

The first part of your sentence…I 100% agree with. I brought this up a couple of weeks ago in one of my numerous posts. It had to do with some woman going all crazy for Clark and how she wanted to do things to him that cannot be mentioned…so, she only likes him for his looks…
      I actually find Adam attractive, heavier set men are attractive too!
      But anyways….I’m rambling…what was my point?
      Oh! Exactly what you said Jaded!

• darcy's evil twin says:

jaded – I’m not so sure. Adam doesn’t have Caleb Johnson’s vocals and even if he were better looking, and not heavy (wasn’t Caleb heavy?) his antics would still annoy me. Last night I did what I do with all the singers – I closed my eyes and just listened, and while I like listening to him better than watching him he has a scratchy quality to his voice that isn’t pleasing. He’s certainly not the worst contestant we’ve seen on Idol but he’s not the best, either.

• Mary says:

No I don’t know if I agree with that. He has a nice voice but to spazz for me. I don’t find his performances entertaining therefore I wouldn’t vote for him. Also, we had Caleb last year and what is he doing now. I vote for voice first and then someone who I think have a shot in H..l of trying to make it in the music world.

37. JoMarch says:

The judges talk about the “total package”, so I don’t think it’s inappropriate or shallow to mention a performer’s appearance. I firmly believe that the judges wouldn’t let an obese, strange looking woman advance as they did Adam. If he had a knock-out voice and good stage presence, perhaps his appearance and the mugging faces he makes when he sings could be over-looked. However, he doesn’t. He should have gone home.

• Timmah says:

” I firmly believe that the judges wouldn’t let an obese, strange looking woman advance as they did Adam.” How quickly Zoanette is forgotten….

38. BrianDunklemansShrink says:

As we speak, why can I still vote for the eliminated contestants on Google?

• daynamonet says:

yup and I voted for Savion. I’m trying to bring him back from the dead.

• James says:

I smell a wildcard…..

• marie says:

I think the reason the eliminated contestants still appear in the Google voting window is that voting now opens at the start of the show rather than at the end. If only the singers who are advancing were shown, then you’d be able to have a look at the beginning of the show and know immediately who was going through, and the suspense/fun would be ruined for the rest of the show. Simple ad that. This necessity of allowing voting for all the contestants from the previous week is awkward, but I don’t see any way around it the way the show and the voting are structured now. I imagine votes for eliminated contestants simply don’t count.

39. Jay says:

Master Blaster: Deandre>>>>>>Quentin. I think people are still swayed by Quentin’s previous performance. It wasn’t all that.

• daynamonet says:

I was thinking that too. I loved Deandre and I loved his version of Master Blaster and that was actually how I was introduced to the song. Now Quentin did well no doubt, but I was thinking about Deandre’s version a lot.

• Brenda says:

Yeah, me, too. I love me some QUENTIN, but it wasn’t quite up to how DeAndre did it.

• LeahKittyS says:

As much as I like Quentin, I have to agree with both of you. I saw DeAndre do that song on the show and on the American Idols Live! Tour, and Quentin’s version didn’t quite live up.

40. Hader B Haden says:

What’s up with that Daniel kid? He is so unnatural. Every one of his movements is contrived. He reminds me of a child singing into a hairbrush, imitating a performer.

• Jaszy says:

You are so right! Ugh…can’t stand him!

• Gailer says:

Lmao, McCauley Culkin

• Smokey says:

since he was voted through, IMO, it shows that “cute smile/entertaining for such a young kid” sells , as it has with some other talent shows like AGT sometimes. ………. It also shows that they had too many weak or bogus acts in the top 12 to pick from, or at least most of the guys have not hit the right song choices or stride yet.

41. daynamonet says:

I don’t know if any of you could tell, but you can still technically vote for any of the 12 guys and that INCLUDES Savion. So I said what the hell, and voted for him, maybe they’ll see the original voters made a mistake. I was so dissapointed Savion didn’t make it, I really thought this was his year, but he blew it with that song choice last week. I just knew when they called that little boy Daniel first that one of my favs would go home and I had a feeling it would be Savion. The worst part of it all is that before song spoilers came out, I suggested he sing “What’s Going On” which makes me even more pissed because he would have slayed! Wild Card, Wild Card, Wild Card, Wild Card!

• Gailer says:

Thanks, voted for Savion, wasn’t going to vote

• MJSbigBlog reporting that there will be a wildcard…good thing so many still voted for Savion!

• daynamonet says:

Yes! I saw that post on MSJ blog. Im happy there’s going to be a wild card. I just hope America didnt make anothwr booboo and somehow Sarina has to sing fir the wild card cuz i cant take that. She needs to sing tonight, get voted into top 12 next week so i dont have to worry. The only person i want to have to worry sbout is Savion. Tyanna better not have to sing either for wild card as she should just get voted in.

42. Mytake says:

Would someone, anyone please please advise Daniel to STOP singing love songs exclusively? Ok he’s 15 which is young in the first place to try to come off as the next Don Juan, but to make matters worse he LOOKS 8!! Watching an 8yr old sing love song after love song just creeps me out. Surely he can find a non Love song amongst the million songs out there.

• Charlotte says:

I guess you haven’t seen The Voice Kids then. There are 6 year olds singing love songs. Check it out…they are awesome. Daniel has a good voice in my opinion, pure and pleasant to hear. Many children watch AI and vote for their favorite so he may get a lot of votes that way. Maybe more older people like me don’t even watch Idol anymore. They would be voting the more mature contestants in. (Or many can be voting because he IS so young with a good voice already and they are intrigued by him.) Maybe they should have a KIDS Idol for those under 16 or 18 so the competition is more balanced. JMO

43. karen says:

I actually thought Adam did pretty well tonight. I was willing to overlook his clownish appearance and appreciated his voice and entertainment factor. The two Qs totally underwhelmed me tonight. Disappointed particularly in Quentin. That was NOT a strong vocal performance. Nick has real soul and he did well tonight. And I actually enjoyed Mark for the first time ever. Yes, Mark looks like he’s coasting but I did get a soulful sense from him tonight and that’s what I’m looking for in a contestant. The others were just meh. Clark is going downhill fast. Rayvon is sort of generic, although technically he’s good. Here all along I picked Clark for the win, but he could turn out to be overrated…

• Puchinsmom says:

I agree, Karen,about Clark. I loved him up until last week. I thought last week was not great, but tonight was awful. I don’t get it. And Rayvon just bores me. He has a nice smooth voice, but it just does nothing for me at all. And he looks the same for every performance. Same expression, smile, hat. It just isn’t exciting.
      I liked Quentin and Nick best tonight, but they were nowhere as good as last week. And Qaasim SOUNDED awful. I won’t even discuss Daniel’s voice….but I wasn’t remotely surprised he’s still around. For ME tonight was really disappointing.

44. Jaszy says:

I knew he would make it, but it sucks because he’s the weakest singer out of ALL the boys…it’s unfair. Yes, I’m talking about Daniel Seavey. Well…I’m glad they got him out of the way..yes…death spot… As usual he’s pitchy. In this instance, Daniel’s constantly flat, out of breath, uncooked, song too low, again there is no connection, there were rough, shaky patches throughout. Daniel’s voice is just not strong enough to continue in this SINGING competition, he’s more suited for karaoke. He’s not ready….sorry.
    No, Jennifer, don’t say that, no he’s not going to be a favorite, don’t put that into more teeny boppers and middle-aged women’s heads…just don’t.

45. Bob says:

Quentin Alexander put on an incredible performance, only to detract from the fun and humor by his intensely desperate tone in his final comments. Lighten up and keep the joy of your performance in your remarks.

• Temperance says:

I think you’re asking too much considering that the tortured the poor guy and then made him sing. You could see he was rattled.

46. Jaszy says:

Based on last week’s performance, Mark Andrew deserved to stay. This performance…he looks uncomfortable without his guitar. He’s slurring his words a tad too much. To quote another star from another singing competion, I don’t see any “inner fire” in this performance. Mark gave a very straightforward performance, there was no excitement. I agree with Jennifer, the song wasn’t moving for me. The judges are SO right this instance. Jam-band session is perfect to describe this performance. Mark didn’t seem as serious. Might cost him with the votes.

47. Jaszy says:

Ugh…Rayvon…don’t like him either, but his voice is WAY better than Daniel Seavey’s voice. When he’s hitting those falsetto notes, it’s almost as if he’s not exactly sure which notes he wants to hit, so it sounds off almost every time he goes for those moments. He did slightly better with the last falsetto near the end of the performance. Overall, this was a good performance. He doesn’t excite me, though. Next!

48. carolinalady74 says:

Savion Wright was robbed! He did exactly what the judges told him to do last year and came back strong. I would trade Daniel, Mark or Adam for him in a heartbeat. Go listen to his EP.

49. Jaszy says:

Adam E. YAY! One of my favorite guys…I only have two…he’s one of them! Love this teddy bear!
    Despite my love for Adam, I criticize my favorites as well.
    He’s consistently flat in this song. He’s definitely putting on a “performance.” He’s not singing in his natural voice as often. The grunts and false growls are a little too much.
    However, I do agree that he chose a great song for his voice, I just would’ve been happier with less grunts and growls. I, however, definitely want him to stick around!

50. Temperance says:

I really didn’t like the way they did that. I didn’t like eliminating four at the same time, and I really didn’t like the fact they totally screwed up Quentin by telling him that was safe five seconds before it screwed up his performance. And while I would have let Daniel, Mark, and Adam (in that order) go long before Savion, I can’t say that his last performance wasn’t (uncharacteristically) dead boring. I’ve already forgotten the other three, though.

• Jaszy says:

well….last season they eliminated 5 at the same time…they did it the same way.
      5 girls out of 15 gone….5 boys out of 15…gone

• Temperance says:

Last year, I was annoyed enough about how there were going to do that, I skipped from Hollywood to top 10. It’s just bad TV.