Ratings: The Voice Rises, Boosts Chicago Fire; S.H.I.E.L.D. Returns Down

Agents of SHIELD Season 2 Ratings

NBC’s The Voice on Tuesday drew 15.4 million total viewers and a 4.1 rating, rising 9 percent and two tenths week-to-week, with CBS in rerun mode.

The singing competition delivered its second-largest Tuesday audience ever, while matching its best Tuesday demo rating since October 2013.

Leading out of that (instead of About a Boy), Chicago Fire did 9.1 mil and a 2.2, surging 44 and 57 percent from its last fresh outing to a biggest-since-premiere audience and best rating since Sept. 30.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Fresh Off the Boat (6 mil/1.7) and Repeat After Me (4 mil/1.2) each ticked down a tenth. Agents of SHIELD returned to 4.5 mil/1.6, down 15 percent and a tenth from its winter finale (while improving on the Agent Carter finale’s 4 mil/1.3). Forever (4.4 mil/1.0) dropped a few eyeballs while flat in the demo.

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (4.1 mil/1.4) ticked down from its fall premiere and was down 25 and 30 percent from its year-ago opener. New Girl (2.5 mil/1.3) slipped in audience while steady in the demo. Mindy Project (2.2 mil/1.0) dipped a tenth.

1. Tran says:

Hope Agents of SHIELD gets renewed but the show it’s still improving thanks to a well deserve cast led by Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson.

• Gerald says:

Fortunately the studio looks at next day and download views when looking at Shield and Peggy Carter ratings so hopefully Shield is not in any danger.

2. erika says:

Is that means 1.7 ratings not good for Fresh Of The Boat?Will FOTB ratings will fall more next week because of the Voice AND possibly NCIS?

3. Kat says:

I worry about the cancellation of Mindy and New Girl. Those numbers are bleak.

• Tran says:

There’s a good chance both New Girl & Mindy Project gets renewed soon but they’re still improving and don’t rule out “cancellation” for the time being because it’s a “network decision”.

4. Julia says:

Sigh…hope these numbers for Mindy don’t lead to cancellation.

5. Drew says:

I’m kinda bummed that Agents of SHIELD is back. I was enjoying Agent Carter a lot more. This is a problem with several ABC shows actually… Once Upon a Time came back and I had gotten used to it being gone. Watching it, I was struck by how lame it is. Revenge is gone for now too, and for the life of me, I can’t think of any reason for it to come back.
    But Agent Carter was good. I don’t know that a 22 episode season would work long-term, but what we had was pretty solid. Marvel/ABC should pull Agents of SHIELD and work on a number of shows like Agent Carter with mini-seasons focusing on different characters.
    (this is what the new DC/CW series sounds like to me, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see)

• Ray says:

Watching Shield is a good cure for insomnia.

• wrstlgirl says:

Shield is on my list of possible cancellations in my house along with Once. I already dumped TVD and TO. I just think network TV seasons are too long. I much prefer he cable 10-12 episode seasons. I loved Agent Carter but if they bring it back like you say with a normal long season it will get repetitive and boring. I watch way to much great television to make myself watch shows simply out of habit, if you know what I mean :-)

• murley says:

I really enjoyed agent Carter as well. When Shield went into its midseason break I didn’t know how I was going to be able to wait for the next episode. But then I got so engrossed in agent carter that I wondered if I would care as much about shield or feel as invested when it returned. That said as soon as last night’s episode got underway I was sucked right in. I think they are doing everything right this season. The show deserves a renewal and agent carter is the perfect bridge. I am really hoping both come back. As far as once upon a time is concerned it always takes me a few episodes to get reinvested after a break because I forget how cheesy it can be! So I was underwhelmed by it’s mid season premiere but I thought Sheild’s was A +!

6. HeatherC says:

Yay Chicago Fire!!! Bummed SHIELD didn’t get better numbers though because it’s become a pretty solid show and I enjoyed last night’s episode. =P

• wrstlgirl says:

Last night’s episode of CF was one of the best I’ve seen in awhile and I think it was because it wasn’t all about Casey and Dawson drama. I like the show so much better when it focuses on the others in the cast rather than people’s love life’s, etc. I really enjoyed seeing Welch do the right thing and am really looking forward to Mouch and his kid.

• Jon says:

Agree on CF focusing on the entire cast — the show has one of the best ensemble casts on television, IMO. Plus any time Trudy Platt drops by is a win in my book. LOVE Mouch & Trudy; they’re one of my favorite TV couples and have fantastic chemistry. And you know she knows Mouch didn’t see his son after all…

• wrstlgirl says:

Yep, she totally knows. The despair on Mouch face was very telling. She may be the one to actually bring them together. That would be cool.

• Bwhit says:

I don’t know about you but I was shocked at Dawson’s reaction to the Beth/Casey thing. It was dare I say mature! I’m liking that being on the back burner. I am enjoying the Casey/Severide friendship a lot!

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I was expecting her to have her normal Dawson attitude but even though she handled it well she’s totally faking it. I loved Casey telling Cruz to never ask him again, lol. I half expect them to both move on and then she’ll find out she’s pregnant in the finale’. God I hope that does NOT happen. I enjoy these two so much more as individuals rather than a couple.

7. mollytanner says:

I like how Fresh off the Boat has plenty of character moments with all of the characters in between the jokes. It just makes the entire atmosphere of the show engaging. And that bus music sequence.

8. The Kaibosh says:

Not sure if this bodes well for Agent Carter. The experiment was to have all original, uninterrupted episodes of SHIELD part 1/Agent Carter/SHIELD part 2 running back to back with no recurring breaks or repeats. The rationale being that they would keep momentum and retain and hopefully grow viewership throughout the season. If they had at least stayed the same from the Winter finale they they would have shown consistency. SHIELD dropped which means breaking it up with Agent Carter (as good as it was) didn’t make a difference. The key reason for Agent Carter’s continuation is now in doubt.

• wrstlgirl says:

If they cancelled Shield and brought back another season of Carter I’d watch in a heartbeat. Just sayin :-)

9. GuessWhat says:

My Tuesday night is a vast wasteland now. I watched about 15 mins of THE VOICE and full ep of NEW GIRL. otherwise, sports for me.

pretty soon I’ll be down to no network shows! ha

10. kmw says:

Good thing NBC has The Voice, almost everything else they have is struggling, although Chicago Fire had a good night. With CBS on repeats I thought ABC shows might have gone up, but that is probably Voice related. Mindy and New Girl may be having better seasons, but nobody is watching

11. tp says:

I honestly feel like AOS is pushing Skye to the forefront to it’s own detriment. For me the focus on her makes me not want to watch it. Plus they killed off Tripp so I already have one foot out the door.

• ndixit says:

Were you really that invested in Tripp? He barely had a presence on the show. If last night’s episode wasn’t about them mourning him, I wouldn’t even notice he was gone. I do agree with you about Skye. Its just too much about her. Most of last season’s regulars haven’t done much. Simmons and May have particularly not done much. Even Fitz has been stuck at the position he is at for a while. It makes for good drama and Iain is doing amazing but his character hasn’t progressed much.

• Drew says:

I just find it odd that Fitz’s disabilities come and go as the writers see fit. One moment, he can barely speak and his hands are useless. The next minute, he is holding normal conversations and working on micro circuitry. And he doesn’t seem to be going through any sort of rehabilitation for these issues either, which wouldn’t help matters.

• tp says:

More invested in the actor than the character. I did like Tripp though. Decent, loyal and could kick ass. I was hoping they would flesh him out some more but I don’t what I was thinking. That would be too much like right. All this focus on Skye is a total turnoff. Like you said everyone has been pushed to the back.

12. Amy says:

I keep watching AoS more out of fangirl loyalty to the Marvel Cinematic Universe than as testament to it being a good show (though it has its moments). Solid cast but too many characters.