Castle First Look: Can Linda Park's Hong Kong Cop Outgun Beckett?

Castle‘s Stana Katic and guest star Linda Park (Star Trek: Enterprise) put on quite a gun show in the first photos from the ABC drama’s next episode.

Park also exhibits a fancy bit of footwork, as well.

In “Hong Kong Hustle,” airing March 16, Castle and Beckett team up with a competitive, high-powered Hong Kong detective who has information about a murder victim. But as Beckett digs deeper into the case, she realizes neither her Hong Kong colleague nor the victim may be quite who they seem.

Castle boss David Amann previously described Park’s character, Inspector Zhang, as “kind of like Beckett, except even better, so that puts Beckett in a bit of a tailspin, to be dealing with somebody who in her eyes is more accomplished and proficient.”

Check out the photos from Linda Park’s Castle visit below.

1. K says:

I’m real excited for this episode. I think Chad Creasey has a good understanding of the characters

2. Tina says:

Looks like it’s gonna be good one!! Love Castle

3. John NYC says:

Hate these waits.

4. JeffDJ says:

Looking forward to this. Haven’t seen Linda Park in anything since “Enterprise” ended.

5. Cassie says:

Beckett is back!

6. Teri says:

Don’t worry Beckett, you are way better. Nobody is better than Beckett!!

• Just one thing says:

The funny thing is, Beckett has been shown to be somewhat competitive and insecure so many times in the years leading up to this point that this isn’t really a new development.
      The difference is that she is older and wiser now, has been there and done that, and shouldn’t logically be worried about her mojo being challenged by another woman.
      Whatever silly logic employed to explain away this story arc, it’s kind of a stretch to think that Kate is egotistical enough to think she’s the only top cop out there.
      Homegirl just recently untied herself from a table, then sliced and diced a psycho with a scalpel. She should not be concerned about some black-belt sharpshooter.
      I’m sure there’s more to the story than this, but it’ll be interesting to see how they get there. Also, can we please get back to Castle’s arc?

• Daniel says:

I’m not interested in Castle’s arc!!! I would rather watch & look forward to Beckett’s story-line and/or stand alone story-lines & episodes rather than endure Castle’s arc . That’s me & evidently a lot of viewers out there.

• Just one thing says:

I prefer focus on Beckett, but am ready for an explanation about Castle’s abduction. Anything that delves deeper into his character is good.

• ndixit says:

I am more than through with Beckett stuff. This Castle story has been pretty convoluted but I’d rather they improve it and make it interesting rather than not addressing it all. I don’t mind Beckett stories but the angst surrounding the character became unbearable last season and I was so happy when ‘Veritas’ happened and her story was ended.

• lkh says:

now there I agree with you–it definitely could use some improvement and more interest and really a definition of what we’re talking about.

• Barry says:

Episode 20 they said but ya Kate’s already proved Shes a boss

• Just one thing says:

That’s right, thanks. So late, though. I hope the final four episodes focus on both new arcs well.

• lkh says:

I’m always suspicious when such things happen. Last week she not only said that she was thinking about children but also about her job. I didn’t know they were mutually exclusive, maybe they aren’t but maybe they are. Perhaps she is starting to think that it might be something she could give up. I dunno–I realize this is a stretch. Agree though, she is very competitive-a challenge is a challenge-with age you just approach it differently, but still win :] And she probably is territorial.

But, my feeling is that the story Castle has been telling was completed at Veritas. Since then there’s been stuff that has been for giggles and cash. Just thrown against the wall to see what sticks. I don’t think there really is a Castle arc. I think they may be trying to have episodes that could lead to a Season 8 or complete Season 7, leaving them the freedom to go either way. Maybe if they are renewed we will get more focused episodes with an overriding story line.

• S. says:

Of course there’s a Castle arc. They’ve talked about it coming back up. They didn’t address Beckett’s mother’s storyline most of the time, it just had a big impact when it did come up that it feels like we saw a lot about it.

• lkh says:

Excellent! What is it?

• ndixit says:

What do you mean “what is it”? Its about Castle disappearance! How much did we know about Beckett’s mother’s murder in season 1 other than that she was killed? This is essentially season 1 for a new arc.

• Just one thing says:

It’s hard to compare the arcs, considering Castle’s crew in seasons 1-4 had writers who carefully developed the Johanna Beckett storyline and guided its evolution.
            Those writers are no longer with the show.

• Just one thing says:

I agree, lkh. They seemed to bide their time until way too late into the season to address the new arc. And it does seem like they could go either way with it.
          Guess we just have to hope ABC communicates their 2015-2016 plans early enough for the series to course correct accordingly.

• lame says:

How do you create a catastrophic scenario that affects the main character and all those around him, never delve into it, just walk away as if it never occurred and expect fans to continue to care, especially when it runs contrary to everything we know about Caskett.It would probably better if the writers let the abduction and brainwashing fade away never to be addressed again or solved. It would be a justified end to a non scenario.

• S. says:

Who says she’s gonna be insecure or that she thought she was the top cop out there? It simply said this woman’s better and implies she’ll be able to out do Beckett in some areas. That’s called a challenge. There’s no silly logic, and Beckett doesn’t think she’s God’s gift. She also knows she’s good at what she does and doesn’t need to prove it to herself. She’s never been ‘woe is me, I’m not a good cop.’ You see what you wanna see and believe. That’s the consistency here. You’ve been down on Beckett and how they write her for years.

• lkh says:

to whom is this addressed?

• Just one thing says:

I don’t see how it could be me, considering I’ve not been “down on Beckett” for years, or whatever.

• lkh says:

exactly–I wasn’t going to jump to your defense, but I know one of the actors may not be a favorite, but it an’t Beckett. I’m pretty close to your camp on this, so I’m not in the line of fire here either. so it goes. Maybe it’s Matt :)

• Just one thing says:

I don’t think Beckett thinks she is God’s gift, but she has often been written as having some semblance of self-confidence, until it’s convenient to write her otherwise.
          Sometimes it’s fun, like the two-parter and Laura Prepon episodes in Season 3. Sometimes it’s annoying, like in Seasons 4 & 5.
          The very fact that a guest character is brought on to challenge Beckett is fine. However, making that character a woman conjures up all this added baggage about putting strong women against each other.
          Castle is clearly a show written by feminists, so the fact that this same concept has been recycled in some form is a little odd – even when they have Beckett and Guest Female #1 come to an understanding at the end. It’s just been done so many times before, that it’s lost its allure for me.
          Also, any Beckett fan (like me) who complains about the way she has been written over the last few seasons is… asking too much. No character is perfect, but if you’re a fan of Beckett, I would say you’ve been well-served as a viewer.

• lkh says:

Agree except for this season where the character has become more ‘meek’ if that’s the right word. Which I guess would be ok if that were actually part of the original character-which I don’t believe. When she has been uncomfortable in the past, that has not been the way she has reacted.

• ndixit says:

How has she become ‘meek’? She just hasn’t been the center of the stories this season. I don’t think she has been remotely OC. There is the thing that she has been happier this season which is a natural progression given that she has finally moved past her mother’s murder and gotten married to the person she loves. That’s the only difference I have seen in her character.

• lkh says:

then she does need to get in another line of work…

• ndixit says:

I am not even sure what your complaint is! I mean she’s just as competent as a cop. She’s just happier. What’s the problem with that?

• Rich Abey says:

Spot on regarding our KBecks’ kickass skills. Our short term memories are pretty bad to forget her finishing off a dangerous serial killer with a scalpel just a few weeks ago.

7. Glenda Shearman says:

Really looking forward to this next episode. It will be a challenge for Beckett,,I imagine,but shell come out on top. Always happy to see a Creasey episode. Monday nights are not the same without Castle. Will be so good to see its return.

8. ndixit says:

I’m not sure what to think about this episode. Insecure Beckett is one of my least favorite versions of the character. But I think this is going to played mostly for laughs, which is more acceptable. Also, I get the feeling that this will be more about Beckett reflecting what she wants out of her life when she realizes the Hong Kong cop’s life isn’t that great for whatever reason.

9. Rich Abey says:

Just you wait…our KBecks’ gonna kick that girls tush good. Plus by the looks of the pics, Inspector Zhang’s high heels are shorter than Kate’s own skyscrapers! In Your Face Zhang!!

10. Simone says:

“But as Beckett digs deeper into the case, she realizes neither her Hong Kong colleague nor the victim may be quite who they seem”

I’m really hoping this doesn’t go ‘The way of the Ninja’, in that she’s related to the victim. I’m hoping it turns out that Ms Zhang has a family and Beckett gets some advice on that front :D

11. TicaTica says:

There’s NOBODY better than Beckett!!!

12. lisa dykes says:

it sounds interesting but I thought castle is kates partner tthey are married

13. lisa dykes says:

it sounds interesting but I thought castle is kates partner they are married

14. Sheri Lasater says:

I watch Castle every night during the week, mostly reruns. Please consider keeping it on air. There are so many shows I wouldn’t waste my time on, but I like the characters and the story line in this show.

15. Kevin Shaw says:

What chance a Castle spin-off for Linda Park as Chief Inspector Zhang?