Kelly Osbourne Exits Fashion Police — Read E! Network's Official Statement

Kelly Osbourne Fashion Police

It appears Kelly Osbourne has made good on her threat to depart E!’s Fashion Police.

The network on Friday released the following statement, confirming that Osbourne will not appear on the next episode, airing next month:

Kelly Osbourne is departing E!s “Fashion Police” to pursue other opportunities, and we would like to thank her for her many contributions to the series over the past five years, during which time the show became a hit with viewers. “Fashion Police” will return, as scheduled, on Monday, March 30th at 9:00 p.m. and no decisions have been made on her replacement.

Earlier this week, the co-host tweeted her frustration about the show after pal Zendaya Coleman was offended by Giuliana Rancic’s joke about her smelling like marijuana at the Oscars. Osbourne appeared to calm down — at least publicly — following Rancic’s on-air apology:

Your thoughts on Osbourne’s now-confirmed departure? Any suggestions for her replacement? Drop ’em in the comments section below.

1. Steve says:

She was fired – obviously

• Eammes says:

Yep, that was my first thought too. She made a bad situation worse.

• Lucifer says:

She made the whole controversy worse with her Lena Dunham-esque “rage spiral” on twitter. Nobody cared for her anyways since she just pretended to be offended while laughing at all the crude jokes.

• Ron says:

Totally fired. Giuliana said something stupid and apologized for it. You could tell her apology was sincere. Zendaya accepted and appreciated the apology. Then in comes Kelly into a situation where she had NO place. If people were calling Kelly out on twitter, all Kelly had to do was either ignore it or say that it’s between Giuliana and Zendaya and that they are handling it like women. She went off on some out-of-nowhere rant and, like everyone else said, made the situation a heck of a lot worse, because her twitter threats just allowed for the story to have even more legs. Giuliana is E! Networks golden girl and of course they’re going to do whatever they can to end this controversy sooner than later. As a matter of fact, I don’t think many people even remember or care anymore. If Kelly thought E! was going to have her back over Giuliana’s, then that girl is more delusional than I thought. Also, Kelly adds nothing to the show.

• Sara says:

I agree, I really think she got fired. The language used in E!’s statement is interesting. They don’t say that Kelly is choosing to pursue other interests, but rather that she is departing. I think they fired her, but are letting her save face a bit. And then there are her mother’s weird tweets about how Kelly can’t be bought…

2. Ben Kabak says:

Kelly is awful on that ahow

3. Amy says:

Good riddance … no more hideous cackle and inane comments

• froggybottom says:

I totally agree. She was not good for the show. I seem to be in the minority, but I like the job Kathy is doing. She seems to understand the gig and she’s not trying to imitate Joan. She’s just being a more tame version of herself. I also think Brad is a funny and fresh addition to the panel. Not that I didn’t like George. George was great with Joan. I would love to see Nicole Ritchie take Kelly’s place. She has fashion knowledge as well as the ability to be a wise cracker. How about Melissa Rivers on the panel- it would be a nice reminder of her mother.

• Brandy says:

Ooh, Nicole Ritchie would be GREAT.

• Cheyenne says:

It would be total karma if they brought in Zendaya Coleman to replace her, but Zendaya is way too classy and intelligent to be on that show. So they will probably bring in a Kardashian.

• Mary says:

She has guest star on the show so does that mean she is not classy. No great loss losing her, I always found it ironic how she could critique other people’s fashion when hers is somewhat comical in itself. I hope to God they don’t bring in a Kardashian.

4. Oua says:

No love loss.

5. ethan hunt says:

“Woman” is singular, “women” is plural. Apparently she doesn’t know the difference. If you’re going to try to be poignant or profound in your tweets, at least get the grammar/syntax/spelling right.

• Lucifer says:

True, but at least she has enough brain cells to talk and write, which is more than you can say for her dad.

• James says:

Her dad is a music icon. Sure, he’s a disaster now thanks to drugs. But he made significant accomplishments on his own, which is far more than can be said for Kelly.

• Lizo says:

Omg this issue irritates me beyond belief. Not just when its written, but people SAY it wrong too. Like ‘womAN’ and ‘womEN’ sound different people!!!

6. Laura says:

Won’t be missed. Never understood how a show that is about fashion could have a panel of people judging what celebrities are wearing, yet they have know real knowledge about fashion. Maybe they can replace Kelly with an individual who works in the fashion business and doesn’t just famous parents.

• Gailer says:

Exactly! She had no fashion sense, she had no reason to be on the show

• M says:

She got on my last nerve when she didn’t defend G… However, Joan did know fashion and George and Brad are both in the fashion business so they do have people who know fashion… It’d be great if George came back to replace Kelly

• m3rcnate says:

But those guys/gals are kinda the worst. When trash bags are being walked out on the run-way and they are standing clapping saying “its art! its art!” you know they are crazy. Only insiders of the fashion industry (so like .0001% of people in America) actually like that crazy stuff (like Gaga crap).
        Its what i cant stand about the show…they rave about the most insane hideous stuff that isnt pleasing at all to 99.9999% of the populations eyes..but then pick apart gorgeous classic gowns/dresses/clothing cause the color isnt perfect or its not fitted perfection…or her purse conflicts with her shoes or w/e. Its stupid.

• Patrick says:

I (straight, single, male) bailed on the show when Joan passed. What really bothered me was that the show just covered the same actresses over and over. Rather than really look at what different celebs were wearing, it was the same old, same old, all the time. There are a ton of up and coming or supporting actresses who wore interesting things. But that never got covered. Once I stopped watching it, I realized how bad it was. I think Kelly wanted off of what is probably a sinking ship. This tempest in a tea cup allowed her to force her way out of what was probably an iron clad contract.

• leo21 says:

G shouldn’t have been defended. Kelly shouldn’t have added gas to the fire but G was wrong.

• Dude says:

G said something ignorant. I really don’t think she meant it as racist because the first thing out of her mouth was “she looks like she smells like patchouli oil” which is incense and backs her hipster, bohemian coachella defense. It was a lame attempt at a joke but I do think she would have said that whether Zendaya was black or white but because she’s biracial, it came across as something more ugly. That’s on G, she should have thought before she spoke but I think Zendaya took it way more personally than she should have because she was appropriating another culture’s religion to make a statement. Kelly didn’t have to back G but she should have kept her mouth shut.

• Mary says:

It is my understanding that it was written in the script, so if anyone is to blame it is the writers who wrote the stupid joke. Personally I think it was blown out of proportion.

7. Tran says:

Kelly’s departure could spell trouble for Fashion Police even if people can’t stand Kathy Griffin & Co.

8. Ioanna says:

Good riddance. I’ll start watching again.

9. m3rcnate says:

She was bad on the show anyways, she is “friends” with everyone (Miley, Gaga, Swift, etc) so all she did was kiss asses and never say anything but “i love it!”. Not only that but she would always be the one loving the weirdest and most ugly stuff (Gaga, etc). However she was somewhat likable up until this debacle…i cant tell if she quit or was fired, and if she is upset at G for her comment, at the fans/trolls who attacked her on twitter like shes the one who said it or what. But overall…im done with this show.

G is pretty meh now, i dont like Cathy, the new gay stylist guy “Loves” everything and is friends with every designer so he cant say anything negative. They gush about trash bags on women but pick apart the color of a purse/clutch or finger nails when the dress being worn is GORGEOUS.

So ya, im out, cancelling season pass on this show.

10. Simon says:

You can dislike Kelly all you want but at least she had major fashion knowledge. Her and former host George made sense. Guiliana does even come close to knowing anything about fashion although she likes to think she does. Doesn’t matter much to me as I stopped watching after Joans sad passing. The show is nowhere near the same.

11. spartan says:

Please, put this show out of its misery; everyone on it now is awful. Bring it back when actual fashionistas (Rachel Zoe types? George Kotsi again?) can take part, along with humorous types more witty than the execrable Kathy Griffin.

12. Mark A says:

here is my issue. She sucked up everything that Joan Rivers said with hardly any backlash. This wasn’t that bad of a comment.

Perhaps she was looking for a way out of the show. A show that is quickly taking on water. Sorry to say but my opinion of her has vastly changed.

• I think this exactly. She just jumped off a sinking ship … no loyalty whatsoever.
      Either that or she was fired for being the useless, clueless little girl that she is.

• JoeT says:

Yes I agree, why get upset over a comment like this, when it was on in a million such comments. Seems like a fake reason to be upset.

13. I am thinking that she was not willing to “take the fall” for not supporting Julianna in her comment against Zendaya….and GOOD FOR HER!!! I like Guliana, but I think she is a bit stale on that show! They need some new blood! Maria Menunos is waiting in the wings folks!

14. Patti says:

Would any of this even be an issue if Joan Rivers was still with us & said this. IT WAS A JOKE on a comedy show! People today are too serious & to darn Politically Correct about EVERYTHING! If we can’t mKe fun at ourselves and laugh at ourselves what is there to laugh about. That little girl Zendaya needs to grow a pair!

15. Letti says:

She realised that her fashion choices are much worse than those she bullies?

16. Winston says:

It’s important that people like Kelly take a stand such as this one. I noticed how Billy B. On Access Hollywood showed indignance regarding Kellys response. He is a big part of the problem. Race and racially insensitive remarks should not be a part of these programs. It’s ignorant and irritating. Enough already!

• Patrick says:

This. It was a bad, bad look on Zendaya. Those dreads did not do any favors to a beautiful young woman. But Rancid’s comments were over the line. She could have said the truth, that it wasn’t a good look, and then gone on to the next victim. We may live in a post racial world (and we may not), you can’t be stupid with these kinds of comments.

17. lechatnoir says:

Kelly , basically turned someone else’s beef her personal business .And she is friend with Miss Coleman . What kind of conversation a 17 year old girl can have with a woman over the age 30 .It doesn’t make sense. I’d be worried if my teenage brother had friends my age..

• Lizo says:

Because that 17 year old is an international star, producer and activist. She’s not exactly the average American teenager is she.

• leo21 says:

Joan championed Zendaya and she was a regular guest on the show. And IIRC, Kelly was a similar age when she became famous.

18. Tammy says:

obviously she wanted out and this gave her the excuse.

19. K says:

Thankfully. All she does it kiss ass and is a huge hypocrite, the show will be so much better without her

20. Missie Jones says:

I don’t like this show. It always seems they are insulting someone. If they would just show the stars and their outfits it would be ok. But they always put someone down. I especially hate it when they say negative comments about women who are pregnant.

21. Ally says:

Please replace her with a comedian! Kathy is not funny at all and this show used to be a comedy fashion show when joan was around. If they find a comedian (or have rotating comedians)to replace Kelly it would be amazing!!!!

22. Gwenna says:

You know what happens when a ship is sinking ??

23. Neki says:

like somebody cares.

24. GeoDiva says:

I bet they replace her with Khloe.

25. mike says:

You’re all a bunch of WHACKJOBS

26. Debbie Matson says:

Kelly does not have style. That awful purple hair!
    I think the worst words out of Giuliana’s mouth was several weeks back, saying she would have sex with Kate Hudson.

27. Tahina says:

Good! She just wanted out.

28. Grey says:

Oh please. I think she just wanted to leave because John Rivers is gone and without her the show is a dud. She saw this non-issue (imo) as a perfect exit excuse to leave.

29. Jo Ann says:

If Kelly quit, she is a fool. That was the best job she will ever have.

30. gina francis says:

Bianca the drag queen would be FABULOUS.

31. GuessWhat says:

the other day I said something like,”I don’t care if Rancic, Osbourne and that Z girl all go away”

1 down! 2 to go!

32. S says:

I really don’t think this is a loss. Honestly, if the show makes a conscious effort to speak with wit rather than vulgarity (to quote the dowager Countess…because honestly who doesn’t?!), I think they can revitalize it in a big way.

33. Daniel says:

Good riddance. Maybe now she’ll have to get a job not based on her family name.

34. Jay says:

Thank goodness. Her comments were always so inane and any respect I had for her was lost after she threw Giuliana under the buss. I think Khloe Kardashian would make a good replacement.

35. ninamags says:

She obviously saw the writing on the wall and decided to abandon ship.

I’ve never watched it, but from reading comments elsewhere, it was starting to get stale. Bringing in Kathy did not help matters at all and the show is probably on its last legs.

36. Ana says:

Talk about fuelling the fire and being desperate for attention. Glad she is off the show! She has many talents I’m sure, but fashion sense is not one of them. She did not belong on that show. She needs a stylist herself.

Not funny, not smart, not entertaining. She’s an Osborne that’s about it.

Sour spoiled brat. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Rancic made a mistake … Tried to be funny and failed. She’s harmless. Live and learn Rancic.

37. Linda says:

I’m happy she’s gone I didn’t think she was a good fit. I couldn’t believe her mother was defending her on the Talk and her father threatened Billy Bush on twitter.
    I hope she understands the damage she has done to Giuliani, the Fashion Police shows reputation, and to the relationships between the co-host and other staffers of the show. This issue should have been handled behind-the-scenes not on twitter.

38. Karen says:

Kelly Osborne is an opinionated brat!

39. craig says:

Good riddance. She looks like her hair smells like meth.

40. vikki says:

Don’t blame Kelley. I really don’t think she felt comfortable after the passing of Joan Rivers.

41. Me says:

I did not like Rancic’s comments but I think this is being blown way outta proprotion! Kelly’s twitter rampage was unnecessary and she’s not fooling anyone, she chuckled away when the comments were made and now her jumping ship over this is ridiculous! Clearly we are missing something

42. Ray says:

Girl, bye!

43. arial2 says:

I’ve tried watching since Joan’s death, but there isn’t a comedian out there who could take Joan’s place. She knew fashion and comedy, a rare combination, and her timing was always perfect. I just can’t see it succeeding without Joan. Much as I hated the inconsistency in the judgments (a dress was “great” if the person wearing it was a friend, but “just awful” if the person was a relative unknown, even if the dress looked better on the latter) and the obvious network bias – anything the Kardashians of ETV fame wear, no matter how tacky or horribly fitting, is “spectacular” – Joan made the show a success. I think Kelly overreacted to a sad attempt at a joke (the dreads WERE overpowering Zendaya’s face; she’s so beautiful, usually), but I agree with many here that she probably wanted out after the loss of Joan and this provided an excuse.

44. ChrisGa says:

I didn’t mind Kelly–I always liked her onscreen rapport with Guiliana and Joan–but she just added fuel to the fire with her twitter rant(I truly don’t think G intended the remark to be anything other that a joke and Kelly herself didn’t wince when it happened on air). I will agree with others though, the name dropping got tiresome–it’s been particularly bad lately, although Brad Goreski is almost as bad.

That said, I’m thoroughly enjoying KG in her role; her first episode was a little rough around the edges but I think she’s come into her own and she’s quite funny(although no one can replace Joan). Do wish George K was still around; very knowledgeable and VERY easy on the eyes.

45. nikki says:

Maybe she’s going back to school to learn how to spell?

46. Tom says:

Honestly, I like Kelly but she brought this on herself. The controversy had nothing to do with her and probably would’ve died down if she didn’t threaten to quit. Don’t bite the hand that feeds. I do think that Giuliana needs to take some time off as well, though, if not permanently. Not because I can’t forgive mistakes, I just think the show needs a full makeover. Melissa Rivers has always done a great job as a fill-in for G and I think she should take that role over for herself. She and Kathy are already friends so it’ll be more natural. As for Kelly’s replacement, I think Nicole Richie would be a perfect fit. She actually has a real background in fashion which is the point of the whole show.

47. OreoCookie says:

I see nothing wrong with her taking a stand on this issue that everyone tries to sugar coat and avoid. When are we going to start standing up and not letting undercover racism see through our culture. It is what it is. So why would you even take Juliana’s side?Sometimes you need to think about what you say before you say it because it may hurt and offended someone especially when you’re biracial it is sometimes even harder and you tend to be a little bit more sensitive. I’m surprised that everyone is taking Julian side when she should have just act like a grown person and not made such comments for someone who’s basically a child to her. She’s not Joan Rivers she needs to stay in her lane.

48. Lizo says:

There’s no doubt that Rancic’s comments were racist, but I feel she was genuine in her regret and apology and that she did learn from the experience. Zandaya has been amazing throughout the entire thing and she seems to feel that Rancic was also genuine and has accepted the apology. I feel like more learning and awareness has emerged as a result and that E! will be better in the future. Kelly quiting feels like a gross overreaction from a white person trying to save face. The bold thing to do would be to stay on the air and continue to be an ally against oppression by challenging it so publicly.

49. V. says:

Bye, Felicia!

• Sybil Rocca says:

Don’t let anyone push you around Melissa Rivers, Ryan Seacrest, Kathy Griffin, Maria Menunos – you are all great in my book and keep hiring the best and keep moving forward! Joel McHale and the two kids that do the new with Guliana and, oh yes, hang on to Kristen Cavaleri! Audrinna Patridge has that great show on BBC, First Look. Get her to do some more stuff. I just never warmed up to Kelly Osbourne. She’s not educated enough and it showed.

50. liame says:

Good for Kelly, standing for something and not falling for anything makes you a winner in my eyes!