Pilot News: Smash's Megan Hilty to Play Broadway Star in ABC Comedy

Megan Hilty ABC Pilot

Broadway vet Megan Hilty will play a Tony Award-winning stage star in ABC’s comedy pilot from Judah Miller (American Dad).

The as-yet-untitled project follows a Broadway starlet and brainiac husband who are thrust into the world of youth sports when they find themselves with an athletically gifted son.

Per our sister site Deadline, Hilty’s character, Irene, is a flamboyant diva who “can come off a little self-involved but has a heart of gold.”

Hilty’s previous TV credits include, of course, Smash, as well as episodes of The Closer, Melissa & Joey and Desperate Housewives. And we’ll leave it at that.

1. eviloverlore says:

“Broadway starlet and brainiac husband who are thrust into the world of youth sports when they find themselves with an athletically gifted son”…Well. That’s a premise, all right. Good luck, Megan!

2. SJ says:

You forgot Sean Saves the World, which is probably what most people know her from aside from Smash. I don’t even remember her on Desperate Housewives and I’ve seen every episode.

3. Joel says:

That seems like a thin premise for a whole show. That seems like a synopsis for an episode of tv not a whole show.

4. herman1959 says:

The premise sounds like it’s going in all directions at once. I hope I get a chance to see it to find out just how they make it work. At least it’s something different.

5. Jonathan says:

This could be good. I’m on board as long as it’s single-camera.

6. Tracy says:

This show sounds stupid! I love Broadway but I won’t be watching this! Plus, Megan Hilty has a wonderful voice but her acting is so-so!

7. Tracy says:

Such a shame SMASH was cancelled! Season one was so good! NBC should never have hired that horrible Josh Safran to run the show in season two – he ran the show into the ground! They should have fired Safran and saved SMASH!

8. Lauren says:

I think this will be hilarious – I’m sure plenty of people don’t know how funny Megan is. This role is perfect for showcasing that talent. I can’t wait to see it!

PS Why post that you wouldn’t watch this show when you’ve read exactly one sentence about the premise of the show? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised when the person who wrote it ends every one of their sentences with an exclamation point.