Glee's Jane Lynch Talks Michael Bolton, 'Samchel' and the Series' 'Fitting' End

Glee Spoilers

Glee will drop its curtain for the final time on March 20 (Fox, 8/7c) — but not before Sue Sylvester is (almost) reunited with her A-list baby daddy.

“Unfortunately, I don’t actually don’t have any scenes with Michael Bolton,” Lynch tells TVLine while in New York to promote her latest partnership with Febreze. “There’s an exposé done on Sue Sylvester, and he pops up on the screen to basically just say he has no idea who I am. That’s the father of my child!”

Speaking of uncertain connections, Lynch refuses to acknowledge the budding romance between Sam and Rachel. Perhaps speaking as Sue, she simply tells us, “There really is no Sam-Rachel relationship. I think they’re just friends. That’s all there is.” (Hmm…)

Glee Sam Rachel KissOf course, the future of Samchel (or lack thereof) will be confirmed in the series finale, which Lynch describes as “quite fitting.”

“It’s a great ending,” she says. “We jump five years ahead in the couple scenes of the last episode, so we’ll find out where all the kids are. Where Sue Sylvester ends up is pretty remarkable; I think people will really love it.”

As for Sue’s apparent softening this season — seriously, who expected her to be so accepting of Coach Shannon Sheldon Bieste? — Lynch believes it was a natural progression for her character.

“One of the things I realized early on playing her is that she’s your worst enemy, but she’s also your best advocate,” she says. “I think Sue kind of operates in those extremes.”

Glee fans, what are your hopes for the series’ final episodes? Your thoughts on Rachel and Sam? Drop ’em all in the comments section below.

1. Helena says:

She’s right. Samchel fits better as friends. I hope Rachel ends up with Jesse. There’s passion there.

• Tvgeek says:

This is what I want too!

• Dude says:

I don’t want her with Sam but she has no chemistry with Jessie. I know they’re friends in real life which is why people like them but really, their love for each other doesn’t translate on screen.

• gt says:

That is a joke right? Rachel and Jesse have a lot of chemistry. They look like they enjoy each other company so mcuh. You may be the first person I ever saw who said that. Most FInchel shipper hate them cause they saw the chemistry too,.

• Joyce says:

Agree! I always saw the chemistry of Jesse and Rachel. It’s funny how the egging scene is usually thrown over and over again by (mostly) younger fans, that scene was horrible. Everyone knows it. Rachel knows it, hell even Jesse knows it. That’s also why he apologized deeply. IN SEASON 2 PEOPLE.

– So Jesse apologized, said it was his one great regret, Rachel forgave him over it and then he helped her have an amazing fun time at prom with Rachel while Finn was with Quinn.
          – Jesse (secretly) continued to look after Rachel and even lifted Rachel up for NYADA (unbeknownst to her) when he stated to the NYADA personnel that “Rachel is the most talented person he’s ever met, bar none. If someone’s going to be a star someday, it’s her.”
          – To top it off, he also mentioned it was good for Finn to get to marry Rachel Berry. Of course, Finn was indeed a one lucky guy. During that scene, Jesse revealed no bitterness or controlling behavior, no revenging state whatsoever.

Going back to the start of the series, an understanding between Rachel and Jesse has always been portrayed. Even Rachel knows how Jesse is. In Season 3, Rachel told Jesse that she knows that whenever he gets nervous, he gets really mean and becomes really pale etc., and it was true. Jesse didn’t deny it, he even confided with her the real reason for his worries (being a coach etc)

I mean, their chemistry is ridiculous, I respect what people saw in Finchel with their highschool romance but I really thought before that there had been (and still has) a great chance to have a great mature power-couple in the show through Jesse and Rachel. It’s not just because they have the same attitude or ambitions. It’s because they have an innate understanding with each other.

Besides that, Jesse challenges her. To be better, to grow. I also honestly think that jokes and cockiness aside, you see a genuine moment in their scenes that make them seem more relatable and human, but developing. Remember Jesse’s line in season 1? “Everyone thinks I’m a big heartbreaker, but the fact of the matter is, you broke mine first”; said with sincere and intense delivery. Along with “I think I kinda like her”, and the things Jesse’s done in the latter seasons for Rachel, you’d know, and read between the timeline, that it was real.

One last thing: The banter! That’s one of the things I enjoy most in relationships and with Rachel and Jesse, it comes off too easily that it’s really magnetic to be drawn to see it on my screen.

I’m not a gleek, stopped watching after season 4. I watched some episodes of the latest season after casually changing channels on TV. But I will definitely watch the last episode, knowing that there’s a chance the writers could go back to the roots and deliver the same great writing that brought these two together. I have my hopes up for the show, I hope it doesn’t disappoint. But if it doesn’t go the way most of us wanted, then, I’m glad to be reinforced with my good decision to stop tuning in the show before.

• Jermey says:

“I’m not a gleek, stopped watching after season 4”

Honey, with that length of a comment – you’re a gleek.

• Joyce says:

@Jermey Erratum: Was. I was a gleek. I’ve abandoned the show so it doesn’t really make me a fan anymore. This Rachel-Jesse possibility is the only one pulling me in to see the ending.

• Mimi says:

OMG finally someone who speaks the truth!!!! Rachel and Jesse were EPIC and I also deeply respect finchel and will always love them but the chemistry between rachel and jesse was incredible! You must watch the entire last season and now soon the last 2 episodes at least as Jonathan will be in the last 2 episodes:) If rachel and jesse aren’t endgame I don’t know what I’ll do. Nothing else makes sense really. Sam and Rachel together is so awkward it hurts ESPECIALLY with mercedes hanging around ALL.THE.TIME! PLEASE FOX!

And thanks for all the amazing things you listed so very true!

• kathy redding says:

my gosh, you expressed my thoughts exactly! I was happy with how the show was wrapped up. I think when Rachel explained , that the real ending was going to play out – she would succeed in New York and be done with show biz and come back home to school teacher Finn. Really, always thought she was a better fit for Jessie.

• Rafael says:

Maybe Jesse needs to surrender to Rachel and both Rachel and Jesse should officially get married happily ever after.

2. abz says:

I’m kind of happy about the time jump. Hope that most of the final episode is devoted to where they end up rather than like 5 minutes at the end.
    Wishlist:
    – Rachel back on Broadway or doing music or something (not teaching or Glee club. That was Finn’s thing)
    – Klaine divorce with both of them moving on. Their wedding was stupid. Together all of 2 mins after months and then married. It won’t last.
    – Santana actually shown doing something other than drifting along these past three seasons.
    – A bit more of Quinn and what she’s up to.
    – Aside from that, anything else shown I guess I’ll probably be fine with or won’t really care at this point.

• KC says:

I agree the time jump will be great, but we already know that Klaine are still married (sorry to burst your bubble)
      Rachel belongs in NY – no discussion
      Britt needs to grow up a bit and dump Santana and the terrible way she treats her. This won’t happen through because everyone get a happy ending.
      Quinn is done
      I want Arite & Tina together
      Mercedes to win a Grammy
      I don’t care about anyone else.

• Kim says:

Brittany and Santana are actually mature though. If anyone needs to grow up it’s Blaine and Kurt needs to dump him because he treats him terribly. Have you even been watching season 6?

3. tdtalk says:

Rachel and Sam are an absolute joke and was merely a plot device to propel her story forward. She’s going to marry Jesse….I understand that’s the only way the show could end because of Finn, but it still leaves a little bitter taste in my mouth just because Jesse was Finn’s nemesis. Finn was always written as being “below” Jesse, not as talented — and it sucks that in the end he won the girl.

• Cal says:

Didn’t Finn and Jesse come to an “understanding” of sorts, if not outright peace, when they met in NYC? My memory is a bit fuzzy but I don’t think it was hostile.

I don’t know, I just can’t bring myself to contemplate it as “Finn vs. Jesse” in light of all that has happened. BOTH men hurt Rachel, but they also both believed in her, uniquely understood her, encouraged her to pursue her dreams. And although Finn may have been less vocally/musically talented than Jesse, I don’t think that he ever came across as less than him at all. Just different. I actually stopped watching Glee after season 3, but I always liked St. Berry and I will likely watch the finale because I know that Jesse is returning. It is still so sad to me that Cory/Finn is no longer with us, though…I feel like watching the show without him will be a strange experience.

• anon33guest says:

Jesse was Finn’s nemesis in Season 1 but I never felt like Finn was torn down to build Jesse up. They were just two totally different boys vying for Rachel’s affection. Since Finn is sadly no longer an option I would rather Rachel end up with someone who is completely different than Finn than someone who the show has periodically written as someone who could replace Finn.

• kim says:

But Finn did ” win” the girl which I am a little disgusted writing that. At the end of season 3 Rachel clearly was with Finn and Jessie conceded that point to Finn.

4. M. Joseph says:

Maybe Rachel could end up with her gigolo ex.

5. Jane Knows says:

Sam and Rachel shouldn’t have happened in the first place. Such a waste. Samcedes deserved the development and screentime. Not a forced fake hypnotized relationship. That was a huge joke from the start. Writers.

• miamiamia says:

I truly hope Sam did not end with Mercedes. She just didn’t treat him well, and I don’t mean the whole no-sex thing, I mean when she was ashamed of having him as her boyfriend and I just don’t think Mercedes appreciated all Sam did for her. She wouldn’t make it to LA if it wasn’t for Sam.

And IMO, Sam and Mercedes are just lack of chemistry. I feel the love more when Sam with Rachel, Brittany, or Quinn.

• Lemma says:

Mercedes was never ashamed of having Sam as her boyfriend. She was dealing with a racial issue that a lot of people (especially black women) battle with when they are in interracial relationships. Funny how you say Rachel, Brittany or Quinn (who didn’t treat Sam right at all.) I’m not going to state the obvious on this but yeah. It pretty much is exactly my point on this whole Mercedes treated Sam ‘badly’ thing.

• miamiamia says:

Yeah, well, Quinn and Brittany didn’t treat Sam right too. But when they are together, I think they are sweet. I see your point about the interracial issue and I think it’s good that Glee is adding this issue to their storyline. It’s just that I don’t enjoy Samcedes romance as much as Fabrevans, Bram, or Samchel, sorry…

And as for Rachel, until the last episode aired, has she ever been rude to Sam? She asked Sam to prom in his junior year, helped Sam with his money problem, took him back to McKinley from his stripping business, and even help him to get into the male modeling world. Sam also helps Rachel moved on from Finn and encourages her to follow her dream to NY. There really are some potential romance between Sam and Rachel. They could get together by other more sincere reasons than a stupid hypnosis. Ah, well, I hope both Sam and Rachel get their happy ending.

• msjae922 says:

Rachel did not do any of those thing for the benefit of Sam. Except the photo shoot help.
            Everything Rachel does has something she will gain from it.
            Rachel gave him a dollar…Mercedes gave him a place to stay.
            Rachel has and always has thinking about herself.
            Yes Sam help Mercedes by posting a video because he believed in her. Just like she believed in him when it came to his modeling. She was proud of him and to be with him. Keep the relationship a secret because she did not want the others in their business.
            Yes he did turn Rachel down when she asked to go with just her but when she added Mercedes he said yes. Then they all went to prom Rachel drop him and Mercedes to hang with Jesse.
            I’m confused on when she treated him badly… Mercedes is the only female that Sam dated that he had that cheated on someone else to be with him. She is the only one that he has said to people that have asked him out that he still was in love with. Told that to Quinn. (S3) Brittany (S4) and Rachel (S6). So even if they are not going to end up together. (Sam and Mercedes) at least they did have something real.

So using phrases “No Chemistry” is a cover for society saying a model like male is not supposed to be with a plus size singer.

• Wait..what? Mercedes was NEVER ashamed of Sam. I love how some try to state that as though its a fact and not just their opinion. She told Sam how much she loved him and he told her the same. I don’t know how you promise someone that you want the same future as they do and NOT love them. So as far as the loved to be felt between Sam – Quinn, Brittany and Rachel let me see how those 3 demonstrated and appreciate that love for him in return:

Quinn -cheated on him with Finn and only wanted Sam back when she was looking for a baby daddy for Beth hmm?

Brittany – expressed her love for him by choosing Lord Tubbington and singing a love song to him that Sam thought was for him. She was getting over a break-up with Santana and didn’t really want to be anything more than friends initially. She must have shown him ALL of that love when she publicly humiliated him in front of the whole Glee Club by dumping him via text message.

Rachel – Well lets see we are getting this from her point of view. Sam has been mostly quiet and that’s probably because he is still trying to figure out how he went from being in love with Mercedes, having a bigger thing for Mercedes to being pushed onto Rachel who just wants to have fun. How soon we chose to forget that it was Sue hypnotizing Sam to think he was in love with Rachel before he even looked her way.

So the code words of “lack of chemistry” is just straight up BS. Sam and Mercedes have a serious history that has only drawn them apart because of timing, distance and a difference in career choices. When Rachel and Finn broke up many times MOST never said oh see they keep breaking up but its true love. Whenever its Sam and Mercedes well they’ve tried they need to move on from each other.

Hypocritical at most and shameful at the least. I can’t sometime with some who will go out of their way to concoct reasons why Sam and Mercedes shouldn’t be together while at the same time finding reasons to justify why a hypnotized pairing should live happily ever after. How many have acknowledged that Sam’s free will to form his own interest in Rachel was completely taken away by Sue? I’m at the whatever stage but this whole debacle of a story line should have never seen the light of a TV screen and stayed buried back in season 5 in my opinion.

• msjae922 says:

Well said!!!

• TD says:

Not one lie detected.

• Mee says:

I want Sam & Mercedes to end up together!!!!!….Sam had been pursuing this for so long. Where have all the hopeless romantics gone?!. Sam & Rachel…gag me already; they are worst together !…like oil & water. I thought Glee was supposed to be cutting edge, breaking boundaries…what about an interracial couple. If anyone should make a statement, its’s Glee about how even interracial couples deserve a happy ending. I am sooo disappointed they are abandoning the Sam & Mercedes story line…I hoped Glee had a message for everyone who doesn’t fit the stereotypical mold of the right kind of a couple.

• Jane Knows says:

Oh,please Mercedes never was ashamed of having Sam as her boyfriend. Keep making up issues. Just,because you don’t want the White Blonde guy. With the Black curvy girl. Who is not a size to. And the same skin pigment. Glee fandom. Ain’t fooling nobody. Get over yourself. Of course you want Sam with Rachel a forced relationship,Brittany dumped him via text message. Then ran back into Santana arms. And Quinn cheated. Hmm,So how did Mercedes not appreciate Sam. If,anything Sam has been a horny dog. And Mercedes could do better.

• Mee says:

6. mg714 says:

Jesse or someone we don’t know would be the only ones that makes sense for Rachel to end up with since Finn is gone. Definitely not Sam – their forced relationship is biggest thing I hate about this final season.

7. Jschunt says:

Wow, a time jump. SOOOOOO original. Ryan Murphy wouldn’t know the meaning of original if it was stamped on his d*ck!

8. S says:

I don’t why everyone is hating on Sam and Rachel together. Honestly I think it’s fine, as he’s someone who will always respect her past with Finn and understands who Rachel is and what’s makes her happy. Jesse and Rachel are too much the same person to work as a couple, so while I’m excited for Jonathan Groff to be back I hope it’s more that he and Rachel both make it on Broadway. Sorry that she spoiled the time jump, that would have been a great surprise.

• Amy says:

Omg thank you. I absolutely love sam and rachel together and he is the only person I would be happy to see her end up with now finn has gone. He is by far one of the nicest characters and also I stand by this statement, I think he has more chemistry with rachel then Mercedes. I always felt like she never truly appreciated him.

9. darren says:

I disagree with all of you samchel is endgame that it if Rachel is with Jesse I will puked

10. No Samchel! says:

Sam and Rachel are disgusting together! Worst paring Rachel have ever had and that says alot considering Brody! Just that fact that they had to erase Finn from Rachel’s history just to push this crap proves how wrong they are together!

• gt says:

Please fans saying it is disgusting sound so babyish. I think it was dumb but disgusting is such a exaggeration or you do not understand the meaning of the word.

• msjae922 says:

It’s funny because those are the same word that had been used with expressing the feeling about Sam and Mercedes being together. The only difference is Sam and Rachel look like brother and sister. Where as it was the society stamp of who looks good with who for Sam and Mercedes.
        I’m just making a statement regarding the uses of that word when it comes to describing the two different couples.

11. Jane Knows says:

Samchel is 100% not endgame. Ep.10-11 summaries already tells you that. The only thing puke worthy is Sam and Rachel’s forced storyline.

12. vanessa says:

Sam and Rachel are a cute couple . Rachel is so happy with sam he makes her laugh cares about her and she cares about him . and they are Endgame . .

• sandi says:

Wrong. Rachel ends up with Jesse. Nice try though.

• Mee says:

Noooooo Sam & Rachel !!! they are forcing that at the very end of the show our of no where…it’s sooo dumb and awkward. Mercedes and Sam should end up together !!! Rachel is going to New York. ..let her be a star already and forget about the Sam “relationship”. Give me break….It’s like she’s not a whole person if she’s not with a guy on the show…pleeeze! This is the dumbest twist of events out of no where…it’s nauseating!!!

13. vanessa says:

sam and rachel are Endgame .

14. Ashley says:

Jesse and Rachel belong together!!

15. mary says:

When even Jane Lynch says Sam and Rachel “are just friends and that´s all there is” LOL
    She knows and we know. Lea´s screen time and storyline get dumber every time she shares scenes with Chord. Her duets are awful. I can´t support her by buying the songs. No thank you

• RUCookie says:

WOW – I love her duets with Sam. I enjoy the way their voices contrast and actively seek out their songs when released. To each their own. Just wish that Sam-haters would stop acting like their word is gospel.

16. Amy lynch says:

So great love the deets about glee so love this

17. I like Sam and Rachel together, for now. Its nice to see her happy with someone again, its been a while since Finn passed away, and although I wish with everything I have in me that they would have gotten their happy ending, I’m glad Rachel is finally moving on….

However, I don’t like the fact that Finn has barely been mentioned this season, they should have made more of a big deal about him not being at his brothers wedding! Sam should feel a little more awkward about dating his dead best friends girl! And also like Mercedes would be so cool with it? Its not realistic at all :/ I’m sorry to say. I like Sam and Rachel but I also feel like it was a little forced, maybe they should have introduced a new character to play Rachel’s love interest?.. Anyways Samchel is definitely not end game :/

However, I wish people would stop hating on Klaine, if Sue Silvester can get behind them, why the hell can’t you!? They have been perfect together from the start, they have both been jerks and messed up (still really annoyed about them writing Kurt as such a bastard in episode one, too out of character for him!) But they are (bold letters and underlined) soulmates!

I’ve never been much bothered about Santanna and Brit, I love their characters, and they have awesome chemistry, but they aren’t the reason I tune in every week!
    Was definitely pissed off that there was no Quinn at the wedding, she SHOULD have been there, if she couldn’t have made it to LA to shoot that episode, they should have held off on the wedding till later. Come on its not called the unholy trinity for no reason? Was only last season that Santanna had that big fall out with Rachel, yet she gets to be a bridesmaid but not Quinn? … Yeah okay then.

Wasn’t completely on board for the whole ‘Sheldon’ Beist story line to begin with, mostly because all his/previously hers storylines have been about how he/she wanted to be looked at like a pretty women! I definitely feel like the writers were clutching at straws with this storyline.. However Dot is pulling it off great! I liked the big transgender quior a few episodes back, its nice that shows like glee shed a positive light on that whole ordeal!

SO GLAD to be seeing some more of Jesse tho! Missed him! Was very happy to see Mike Chang last week as well, even if Tina was cringey as hell -_-

I personally can’t wait for the last episode, but also I really really don’t want glee to end, I love it so much, even when some of the episodes are just thrown together and barely makes sense! Its been a big part of my life since the pilot and I’m going to miss looking forward to a new episode every week!

• Marco says:

Um… because Sue is a twisted, insane villain and Klaine are a completely unhealthy relationship? Klaine will NEVER be okay.

18. Joe says:

I bet Sue’s ending will be completely ridiculous and so far from anyhting remotely realistic.

19. Amy says:

I’m finally excited about Glee again. Bring on the St. Berry!

20. msjae922 says:

Everything Rachel does has something she will gain from it.
    Rachel gave him a dollar…Mercedes gave him a place to stay.
    Rachel has and always has thinking about herself.

21. kirads09 says:

Good Riddance. RIP Glee. Let this one go.

22. vanessa says:

I really Don’t care what Jane says about Sam and Rachel that they are just friends .
    maybe she should watch the episode again where Sam and Rachel become a couple.
    Rachel and Sam make out in her bedroom , sing together and they also hold hands .. Rachel does care about Sam . and she will not go back to Jesse he was so mean to her in the past .
    Sam and Rachel belong together .

23. SammySparkles says:

Sam and Mercedes belong together. This Sam/Rachel thing was nothing more than a plot devise so Rachel could have a boyfriend with the only hetero male left. They literally had no build up or existing friendship. To act like Finn didn’t exist and to recreate history just so Rachel could move on is gross. Dunno why I expected Glee to actual tell a decent story in their last season.

24. Da'Khari says:

There should be No Sam and Rachel ending Samcedes is endgame. Rachel should go find Jesse he is more her, what kind of friend is she to Mercedes doing that I think it’s wrong. Of course there is passion between Sam and Rachel he’s been hypnotised and he didn’t complete his task so the spell is still on

25. vanessa says:

Sam and Rachel do belong together he makes her so happy they care about each other .
    Rachel has not been that happy in long time .

• TD says:

Nope. Sam is not in love with Rachel. Rachel is not in love with Sam. Sam is there simply to show Rachel is ready to move on from Finn. Sam and Rachel are completely a mismatch. Rachel wants big city life and Broadway and Sam wants a small town dream and Mercedes. Brace yourself for the truth and step out denial land.

26. Mee says:

27. Brittana says:

I can’t be the only one who legitimately thinks Faberry could be endgame?

• Stephanie says:

You are not! I was searching through the comments to see if at least one person said this! It doesn’t even have to be major just one solid hind that it will happen.

28. vanessa says:

Just be because Jesse is comeing back does not mean the End of samchel

29. vanessa says:

either way I still think Samchel is Endgame ,.

30. Jamie says:

Ok, so I just realized something!! I was so hoping for a Jesse/Rachel endgame but seeing the picture of everyone watching her at the Tony’s proves she might end up with Sam! Sam is not in the picture so then he must be at the Tony’s with her and she would not ask him if they were not together! There is a picture of her and Jesse holding hands in formalwear probably going to the Tony’s and that’s probably because she’s in the broadway show with him.

• msjae922 says:

Looks like they were just good friends. Not a couple so Jesse and Rachel will be endgame. And the way Lea responded the comment from the fan who mentioned loving Sam and Mercedes,during that panel show. Sam will get the happy ending HE wanted after all.