CBS Summer Schedule: Dome Gets New Home and Marg Helgenberger, Big Brother's Return and More

Under the Dome Season 3

Under the Dome Season 3 will unspool on a new night, premiering Thursday, June 25 at 9/8c, CBS announced as part of its summer schedule.

Also, CSI alum Marg Helgenberger will guest-staron the Stephen King novel-based drama this season for an extended arc, in an undisclosed role.

Kicking off CBS’ summer slate, Big Brother returns for Season 17 on Wednesday, June 24, at 8 pm. (The reality series will also air Thursdays and Sundays.)

CBS will opens the doors to its Zoo on Tuesday, June 30 at 9/8c. Based on James Patterson’s best-selling novel, the drama stars James Wolk (Political Animals) and follows a sudden wave of violent animal attacks against humans taking place across the globe.

Finally, Extant Season 2 — featuring a tweaked premise and cast, but still led by Halle Berry, launches Wednesday, July 1 at 10 pm. (This season, astronaut Molly Woods discovers she has unwittingly put the human race on a path to destruction, and that she and a mysterious stranger, played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, may be the only hope for survival.)

1. Jared says:

I still am beyond shocked Extant made it to season two.

2. Boiler says:

Interesting the think that what may be Patterson’s worst novel is OK for TV. 3 nights of Big Brother…how awful. Hopefully CW and ABC have a decent summer schedule

3. Tran says:

Going to skip CBS’ entire Summer series for the rest of my entire life. Wonder if the network is planning to bring back The Price is Right Million Dollar Spectacular sometime in the near future. Angelica McDaniel better do it right or else TPIR fans are going to be more outraged like watching an episode of Homeland and Drew Carey should have his own talk show rather than hosting a boring game show and how many more years will Drew be hosting Price is Right depending on his contract?

4. Dean says:

Marg Helgenberger? Here’s hoping that her second post-CSI tv job she remembered to act.

5. Laura says:

When will NCIS realize how boring the show is without having Ziva (Cote) on the show. When Ziva was on NCIS the story line was more interesting and fun to watch. I don’t watch it anymore since Ziva was let go! NCIS is not the same and I watched it once and don’t like it especially with Bishop always sitting on the floor instead of sitting on the desk. Mark Harmon is not the same Gibbs when Ziva was on the team so is the rest of the team. Boring and Ziva fans all agree to it. We want Ziva back which make the entire team whole again and much more fun and interesting.

6. Laura says:

Now CSI Las Vegas is my favorite show to watch…Since NCIS let Ziva go.

7. Jimmy says:

I really hope Under the Dome isn’t as laughable and ridiculous in season 3 as it was in season 2. There were certain points where I considered stopping to watch it because it’s just not good at all. The ONLY saving grace for me on the show is Dean Norris. I loved him on Breaking Bad and even though the writing isn’t even half as good, I enjoy that he’s still on the show. It must be fun for him going from playing a good-guy DEA agent to evil Big Jim.

Also, they really shouldn’t advertise it as “based on the novel by Stephen King” because the only similarities,are the names of the characters, the fact that there’s a dome over the town, and the town is called Chester’s Mill. That’s it. The story is completely different (and worse, might I add).

• Nancy says:

So agree, Jimmy, but I hung in there last year because I wanted to see what happened! Probably wind up doing the same this year. Sad, isn’t it? LOL

8. GuessWhat says:

I still cannot believe EXTANT is coming back. I stuck with it the whole season and it just got worse and worse (I had hoped it would end on a good note and wrap up before cancellation). Doesn’t matter — I will NOT be watching season 2.

On the flip side, I know UNDER THE DOME is just ok too — but I will stick around for season 3.

9. dragons3 says:

I toughed out Season 2 of UTD, so will try the first episode of Season 3, but if it’s no better, I’m outta there. I’ll watch Season 2 of “Extant” just because JDM is on it. It couldn’t possibly be worse than Season 1, could it?

10. CactusRose says:

How many good shows can they put on Thursdays????? There is a dearth of good network TV the rest of the week and Thursdays are just too much! My DVR is whirring away all night long!
    C’mon, networks, give us a break and spread the wealth over the entire week!

11. Joey Padron says:

happy Under The Dome’s new season premiere date. can’t wait to check out James new show Zoo!

12. The Carpooler says:

Please let this be the final season of Dome. Great book. The show is so far off story it’s no longer the same story. Yes, I’m complaining. Yes, I’ll still watch it.

• SK says:

Like you, I’m hoping this will be the final season of Dome. I also loved the book. Watching it still because my husband is enjoying it. No, he didn’t read the book. They should have stayed with the original plan of a mini-series. I def believe it would have been so much better.

The Dead Zone was a much better tv series based on SK’s book than this one.

13. Eric says:

Under the Dome is not really good but it is great summer TV. I can’t help it, but I do enjoy it.

14. Vicki Adomaitis says:

Looking forward to Big Brother 17!

15. chuck says:

Glad Under the Dome will be back for season 3. Wish CBS would bring back some other shows I liked. Especially the one Marg Helgenberger and Lost actor were in were he had Internet hooked straight to brain. I thought that could be really good show that could have some cool stories they could do.

16. Fran says:

Marg Helgenberg Why??????????

17. Angie says:

The reason Under the Dome lost so.many people is because we can’t find out when it comes on. First its in then its off for six months then back on by then we’ve went on to other shows.