Forever Stars Alana de la Garza and Ioan Gruffudd Tease the Titillating Return of Henry's Racy Lady

Forever Season 1 Preview Henry Jo Dominatrix

Man, is Forever‘s Henry whipped or what?

Dr. Morgan’s dominatrix of a love interest has gone legit, thank you very much; when guest star Hilarie Burton (One Tree Hill) returns in tonight’s episode (ABC, 10/9c), her character has ditched the Iona Payne moniker and become Molly Dawes, a professor of — wait for it — sexual identity.

What hasn’t changed? Her grip on Henry’s… heart.

RELATED Forever Adds Cuba Gooding Jr. as Jo’s Wealthy Love Interest

Series star Ioan Gruffud tells TVLine that the immortal medical examiner is brought back into Burton’s character’s orbit when one of her students is murdered. That ill-fated young woman had a bordering-on-weird obsession with the 1970s; of course, that means Dr. Eternity flashes back to ’79, when a night on the town causes age-difference friction with his wife, Abigail.

In present-day, however, Molly’s presence may be the romantic jolt that the given-to-brooding Henry needs. (Evidence: He buys a new scarf!)

RELATED Matt’s Inside Line: Forever Scoop!

“Abe tells him at one point, ‘Yes, you’ve had countless affairs with beautiful women all over the world but you’ve never actually gone on a date with a woman you love or have feelings for?’,” Gruffudd says. “It just reiterates the fact that it’s too painful to go there. He does come across as a bit of a cad and a playboy, to a certain extent… It throws up the idea of: Who’s going to be the one to maybe break his heart again?”

TVLine was on set for the filming of tonight’s episode; without giving too much away, we can report that Henry and Molly have a rather avant garde evening together, and he seems pretty high on life in the afterglowmath.

RELATED Forever Star Ioan Gruffudd Talks Henry’s ‘Very Loving’ Relationship With Jo

And that, star Alana de la Garza says, doesn’t escape Jo’s attention.

“There’s a sweet-and-salty moment where Jo walks in to see Henry and his sort-of love interest, Iona,” the actress says, referring to Burton’s character by her former name. Det. Martinez stumbles upon “an intimate moment with them and she’s like, ‘Oh, that’s uncomfortable. OK. I think that hurt. I’m uncomfortable.'”

She adds: “It’s like in high school, when you tell your best friend, who’s male, to go out with so-and-so, and he does.” She chuckles. “And then you’re like, ‘Wait… I think I don’t like it.'”

1. Katherine215 says:

Do we know the story behind what happened to Abigail? Didn’t she leave Henry and Abe at some point, or do I have that wrong and she just died of old age?

• Meghan says:

Pretty sure she died, but Henry tells everyone they split up, as a cover story.

• Elsa says:

I think she died but not of old age as I recall Abe saying something like they did not have a lot of time with “mom”, even less than what they thought they would have.

• Lizo says:

Stuff has been inferred, but my sister and I were wondering the same thing. I think there’s something they aren’t telling us about her.

• herman1959 says:

She died, but no details were given.

• Margaret Wallace says:

I think Abigail left Henry at some point in the 80s or 90s when the age difference got to be too much for her and she walked away thinking that a clean break would be easier for him than watching her grow old and eventually die. That would explain why he told Jo that she “came to her senses and left” him, why Henry and Abe don’t seem to know for sure whether she’s died yet (“She’d be 94 this year… you know, it’s possible–“), and why Henry seems to feel a bit betrayed by it all, because she decided to be gone while they still had some time together.

2. Tran says:

Time is still running out on Forever and a 50/50 chance it won’t survive. ABC still can’t overcome a huge hit in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot and the alphabet network needs bigger fish to fry.

• Jenna says:

Any chance it could be saved as a mid-season or winter break fill-in for next year with a reduced season order – more like the cable model? It’s such an adorable show with a terrific cast. I love Hilarie Burton’s recurring character, too. It’s somewhat hard to fully enjoy the remaining episodes knowing the show is on deathwatch.

• Andrea says:

Agreed about the cable model or half an order. Thirteen episodes in a Season 2 would be better than no episodes in a Season 2.

3. Steven says:

I’m hoping ABC finds room on it’s schedule for new episodes somewhere. This show really deserves better ratings. Henry and Jo have such great chemistry.

• maria says:

They do have great chemistry, and this show manages to take advantage of that without hitting viewers over the head with the overdone will-they-won’t-they business.

4. Luis says:

I have found myself enjoying this show despite itself, only partially because I get to see Judd Hirsch every week. The chemistry between the leads, while not reaching Castle levels, is very enjoyable and I think the concept has enough life to continue being interesting. I hope ABC hangs on to it.

5. Michelle says:

I love this show! Excited for this episode too. :)

6. I love this show, and the role played by Hilarie Burton, who is terrific and who has great chemistry with Ioan. Hope it gets renewed.

7. bill says:

ABC will probably cancel a really good show like Forever and renew a total piece of garbage like The Bachelor. It is all about the 18-49 demo.

• Eric says:

No kidding. ABC contantly advertises garbage like that and you hardly ever see ads for a great show like Forever. My wife and I really enjoy it. Why not move it to a better time and day? Sometimes T.V. execs don’t come across as all that bright. :(

8. Lizo says:

I really like Iona so I’m glad to see she’s back. And fingers still crossed this show gets renewed!!

9. Lizo says:

I really don’t think Henry is a playboy. A playboy infers that he cares little for the women he goes after, merely seeing them as sexual conquests. Henry may have fleeting affairs, but I think in his case it’s more of his utmost respect for women that he chooses not to seek out relationships (and is thusly clear with his partners about that).

10. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

I am tired of this trope. Enough with the elegant hooker vs the cold aloof professional guy. Sh*t of get off the pot. The beautiful dance is getting old.

11. H says:

This show has been dead since the second episode´s ratings came out.

12. arial2 says:

Pity we’ll likely never have a chance to see anything grow between Henry and Jo. The chemistry is there, something I’m happy to see after the total lack of chemistry between CSI Miami’s Horatio and his “child bride” Marisol. Alana de la Garza deserves one good romance before a show in which she participates is cancelled. I’ve grown to like this show a lot. Beyond the two main stars, I think Judd Hirsch and Lorraine Toussaint are fantastic in their roles. I just don’t understand how viewers prefer lunacy like The Bachelor to Forever.

• Pam says:

You don’t understand it because you are an intelligent viewer who prefers intelligent television to reality trash! Unfortunately, we are in the minority. There are some really good, new shows on right now, like Forever, Allegiance and State of Affairs. The only problem is that you need a brain to enjoy them. Most of America prefers the Bachelor, Honey Boo Boo and Real Housewives. It’s really sad.

13. herman1959 says:

I think they are pushing Hilarie Burton’s character too hard; I’m just not feeling it.

14. This is BEST and most enjoyable SHOW on TV. Forever’s FASCINATING story lines are woven together and revealed at the perfect pace. The relationships are so endearing and complex and we have fallen in love with this show. Hard. Please renew for season 2. We can’t live without FOREVER! The cast is stellar and has brilliant chemistry. This show gets even more endearing and compelling with each and every episode! Ioan Gruffudd, Judd Hirsch, Alana De La Garza, Donnie Keshawarz, Joel David Moore, Lorraine Toussaint and @mattmillerTV, we thank you for creating, writing, directing and acting with such an amazing show on the air! Please keep the seasons coming. You have many loyal fans! :) XOXO

15. Apanja says:

What I don’t get is if millions of people regularly tune in to the show, why should it matter what age they are? Why is the 18-49 demographic THE deciding factor for everything?

16. Yasmin says:

I am from the UK and am enjoying the show. I like the lead actors but don’t really see any real chemistry between them Ioann and Alana beyond just great friends. . Hilarie Burton / Iona/Molly character is great fun and Henry and she are cute together. I really hope the show is not cancelled and we get to see Jo’s and Henry’s friendship grow stronger and maybe lead to something more than just friends.