TVLine Items: TVD Fave Joins Julie Plec Pilot, Broadchurch Renewed and More

Chris Wood Julie Plec Pilot

Chris Wood is looking to become a permanent fixture in Julie Plec‘s new dimension.

Wood, who currently recurs on The Vampire Diaries as magical sociopath Kai Parker, has been cast in showrunner Plec’s new CW drama pilot Cordon, which follows a group of unlikely heroes who emerge amidst a deadly outbreak in Atlanta, our sister site Variety reports. Wood will play bad guy-turned-cop Jake.

In addition to The Vampire Diaries, Wood’s TV credits include roles in Major CrimesGirls and The Carrie Diaries.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Following a nasty exchange with students from Penn State University, ESPN anchor Keith Olbermann has been suspended for the rest of the week, according to The Wrap. The online confrontation began when Olbermann referred to students’ efforts to raise money for cancer research as “pitiful.”

* ITV’s Broadchurch — the inspiration for Fox’s cancelled Gracepoint — has been renewed for a third season, with stars David Tennant and Olivia Coleman slated to return.

* Originally slated for an April 10 premiere, The CW’s new Friday night lineup will now begin April 17 with Cedric’s Barber Battle at 8/7c, followed by Whose Line Is it Anyway? at 8:30/7:30c and supernatural drama The Messengers at 9/8c.

1. Patrica says:

So I guess Kai was just a one season villain and he will either die this season or sent away to another dimension and never return. Bad move JUlie

• Boyer says:

Good move, imo. I despise Kai–he’s so boring. Give the actor a better job.

• HarleyQ says:

I actually find kai the most interesting villain/ character so far since klaus/ katherine as the salvatores have lost their appeal, and his dynamic with damon and especially bonnie is what made this season watchable for me. I also find him hilarious as well, and although the tvd writers have lost their ability to maintain a decent plotline, i at least wanted kai to stick around for more than a season or two, as he brings a new angle to the show that hasn’t been seen in a long time. Enzo for example was a fresh character last season and they gave him a permanent position and he just became irrelevant taking up unnecessary screen time so I don’t trust them not to do the same to kai, so maybe it is better he was killed off, his character had a lot of potential but the writers don’t have much creativity and refuse to expand their horizons. Part of the reason why I won’t be watching season 7, it’s just the same content recycled all over again.

• Andy Swift says:

Eh… I personally love Kai, but sometimes it’s OK to let a villain be temporary, no matter how much fans like the actor. (See: Exhibit Enzo.)

• murley says:

Totally agree. I love Kai but I also really enjoyed Enzo last season and then they kept him around with nothing interesting to do. Let a great villain go out on an epic note instead of just treading water with the stakes so low that every time he shows up on screen oh go “oh yeah, he is doing something. Oh well”.

• Essie says:

Exactly. Kai is a great character but it’s ok if he doesn’t stick around another season. Just give him a good ending to his story line. I think Chris is great actor so I’m excited to see him in something else.

• Remy says:

I bet they have something vague happen to him at the end of the season. That way if the pilot isn’t picked up, he can stay on TVD. I just hope they don’t Enzo him. I really liked Enzo last season, but they just don’t know what to do with him anymore.

2. Et al says:

Yay for Broadchurch! Despite the British press reportedly being down on it, I really enjoyed series two. I mean … I will when it airs here. Yeah.

• rowan77 says:

Not to give spoilers, I thought the unrealistic portrayal of a trial really took away from the enjoyment of that storyline. But the second storyline was great – until the end, when the story ceased to make sense. Like the writers painted themselves into a corner with it. Love Tennant and Coleman, though. Loved the evolution of their relationship – especially at the end of the series (season). What she said to him was fantastic!

3. Viv says:

I´m one of those who think Broadchurch shouldn´t have been renewed for S2. While I love Olivia Coleman and David Tennant (he is one of my favourite actors) – I could watch them read a phone book to me – I really didn´t love series two. They have to find their way back to s1 magic….

• JeffDJ says:

I haven’t really been glued to Broadchurch this season. The cast is still really good, as are the production values, but it has a “let’s drag the story out” feel to it. I loved S1, but I was surprised when it was renewed.

• Miller says:

Thing is, you don’t have to watch. I am happy it got renewed for a third season, I just love the cast and think S2 was still a lot better than a lot of what is on TV right now.

4. Ashley says:

Haven’t seen him on TVD, but I liked him on Major Crimes’ finale last year. Good for him.

5. spindae2 says:

Glad for Chris, great actor deserves a new show. Hoping it gets picked up for next season.

What the heck is CW doing with The Messengers. They are killing the show before airing. Terrible!

6. Letti says:

I haven’t seen TVD in a while, but I have heard that Kai is the highlight of the season. This might be a bad move, TVD’s ratings are already dead. Too bad I see no potential in Cordon.

7. Tran says:

Wonder if the CW is planning a proper “final season” for The Vampire Diaries now that the series is already been renewed.

• brandydanforth81 says:

I’m sure they are since it’s one of thier most sucsessful,longest running original series and a proper ending is better for syndication,DVD,Netfkux.Plus,Mr P believes in giving shows with three seasons or more proper endings.Im sure it’ll be announced in May that s7 will be the last( especially with a couple of the main trio wanting out-though cw is discussing continuing the show without them if need be.)

8. brandydanforth81 says:

Guess Jkais getting killed off.Oh well, since they’re trying to redeem/humanize him like they did Damon & Klaus maybe it’s for the best.I like Kai-villian Kai, not crying Kai

9. Kristen says:

I really liked Kai this season but I agree that it is probably for the best to have the villain move on rather than emasculate him with a redemption arc again. As much as I liked Klaus, his character is so soft now, it’s hard to believe it’s the same person.

10. Nicolas says:

The CW needs to stop putting all their new shows os Fridays, come on.

11. Jared says:

I would love to see Caroline or Tyler move to The Originals if S7 is TVDs final season. I really like Chris as Kai but he’s a great actor and deserves a shot at a new pilot. Good for him.