Vampire Diaries Photos: Can Stefan Stop Caroline's 'Downward Spiral'?

Caroline is looking thirstier than ever — and not in a fun way — in a new batch of photos from The Vampire Diaries‘ March 12 episode, directed by Ian Somerhalder.

Appropriately titled “The Downward Spiral,” the follow-up to Sheriff Forbes’ funeral finds Caroline presenting “an unexpected ultimatum” to her friends, and Stefan’s well-intended intervention “sets off a dangerous chain of events, leaving him and Elena in a race against the clock.”

TVLine recently spoke with Candice Accola about Stefan and Caroline’s budding romance, of which she’s admittedly a huge fan:

I loved the progression of the Stefan-Caroline relationship. I love that it’s been such a slow burn, and I love that [their first kiss] wasn’t this aggressively dramatic moment; it was just really sweet and tender and the sun was setting. They didn’t need to start ripping each other’s clothes off.

Browse the new TVD photos below, then drop a comment with your hopes for Stefan and Caroline’s future, romantic or otherwise.

1. Kinsey says:

So sad for Caroline! I really hope that Stefan can help bring her back and they can live happily ever after! <3

• Amen to that! I really hope they get through this together and have a happily ever after! <3

• charlotte says:

Really Stefan? Really? Lol, this show is awful and predictable now. Caroline has fallen in Love with Damon, Matt, Tyler, Klaus and now Stefan. Maybe Caroline should get through this on her own for herself. She has to make herself happy instead of having someone else make her happy.

2. Kim&Bey says:

So the next TVD episode is on March 12…whaaaaaat!
    Didn’t they just come back from hiatus

3. Letti says:

Can the writers stop TVD’s Downward Spiral?

4. Sara says:

Loving this season of TVD! It’s very similar to the old TVD, we just need a bit more scary factor with bad vampires etc. Other than that, I’m loving it!

• Fx says:

No, it’s not. It actually feels like a slow-paced version of a teen romance novel (aka Twilight), which I guess that’s what TVD was intended to be initially. It actually makes sense now. That’s why they don’t rush anything now and nobody is in real danger. They’re doing something a la Dawson’s Creek-One Tree Hill.

5. Kristen says:

I am really looking forward to seeing Caroline’s dark turn. It will be such a switch to see her character like this. If only we could also see her go to New Orleans. I know it’s not going to happen but I really would have loved to see that!😄

• Fx says:

Yes, she is by far the best character of the series. But no, she wouldn’t fit in New Orleans. As a matter of fact, The Originals shouldn’t mention TVD ever again for its own sake.

• Kim&Bey says:

I respectfully disagree, I find Caroline to be more of a filler character than anything else. I feel she’s is more of a ‘Matt Donovan’ of the supernatural world. Nothing much ever goes on with her. I’m hoping this new twist makes her more interesting.
        Apart from her turning into a vampire in s2, she has not had any interesting plots of her own, she always seems to be the supporting character in other people’s plots..

6. Ro pegg says:

Brill season.have loved everyone right from the beginning,is there going to be a season 7 does anyone know,

7. Jamie says:

Caroline and Sefan should be an item… Way better than Elena….

8. sunce says:

Not a single character has an interesting storyline. It’s all already said and done. Sick of watching these forced and fake couples without real chemistry… What makes them seem forced is the fact that writers and directors are trying to hard. The sunlight, the sunrise… Fake.

9. morgan says:

will there ever be a tvd episode again that wont feature paul wesley doing is sad pity face at caroline!?

oh and are we going with all the cliches! leather jacket, rave, dirty hair cause not showering is so bad ass!?

10. deey love says:

some of us don’t think the Caroline-Stefan kissing scene was a sweet moment… Caroline is an attention seeker and definitely the worst character in the series. Stefan deserves better… wired question ,WHY DOES CAROLINE SEEM TO BE INTERESTED IN ELENA’S X BOYFRIENDS???? Is she jealous of Elena??

11. Angie says:

Stop forcing Steroline…it’s just ruining Caroline’s character!!She deserves more than Stefan..she’s beautiful,strong and full of light and she doesn’t need a guy who can’t choose her first…who needs to be convinced to the others to see how precious Caroline Forbes is…who needs to hear her singing to realize that Caroline is a Queen..it’s just absurd…This is the worst storyline ever..Just Stop it pleasee. .

• cece16 says:

Stefan is at top level just like everyone else. Caroline wants him sooo.. she obviously wants him. I mean come on now but I still love you Caroline no offense .

12. Acid Rain says:

What a done to death idea. Stefan, Damon, Elena, Enzo. Is there a vampire on this show who hasn’t went ‘dark’ at some point? I can remember reading so many comments from fans wanting to see Caroline have a storyline of her own; I can only imagine how disappointed they are. I’ve called the writers recycalists before. When will they at least try to prove me wrong?

13. EC says:

The Caroline turning off her humanity thing is repetitive and redundant. Its the prison worlds storyline that has the most potential. Why not have some sort of break where all the prisoners in the prison worlds escape and are drawn to Mystic Falls and have the last season be about defeating the baddest of the bad? A last stand sort of thing, similar to the last season of Buffy or Angel. They could end with the characters settling down to their “normal” lives after saving MF with the last scene depicting the idea that they are still and will always be prepared to battle any evil that threatens their home. Settle the relationship drama and give us a last season action.

14. cece16 says:

I love this show and some of the comments just seem like y’all hateing. This is exciting to see Caroline like this. This season is interesting . I love every character. please keep it how it is and forget the haters.