Pilot News: NBC's Chicago Med Adds Fargo Alum Oliver Platt

Oliver Platt Chicago Med

NBC is paging another veteran actor to its potential Chicago Fire spinoff, STAT.

Oliver Platt, who most recently appeared in FX’s Fargo miniseries, has joined the Peacock Net’s Chicago Med project.

Per our sister site Deadline, Platt will play Dr. Daniel Charles, the brilliant head of psychiatry, on Episode 19 of Fire‘s current season.

Platt joins a cast that so far includes Laurie Holden (The Walking Dead) as an ER surgeon, S. Epatha Merkerson (Law & Order) as the head of the hospital, Yaya DaCosta (Ugly Betty) as a nurse and high school acquaintance of firefighter Kelly Severide and Nick Gehlfuss (Shameless) as a doctor and the brother of Chicago P.D.‘s Jay Halstead.

The actor’s extensive TV credits include roles on The Big C, Bored to Death, Nip/Tuck and The West Wing.

1. TVNerd says:

I think this show will fit in perfectly with NBC’s Chicago franchise. They should schedule in between Voice results show and Chicago Fire on Tuesdays at 9/8C. My predictions for NBC fall:

Revised NBC 2015-16:

Monday: 8 pm: The Voice (Celebrity Apprentice 2 hours during break) 10 pm: Blindspot

Tues: 8 pm: The Voice Results Show 9 pm: Chicago Med 10 pm: Chicago Fire

Wed: 8 pm: Telenovela/Monica Potter Comedy 9 pm: Law & Order SVU 10 pm: Chicago PD

Thurs: 8 pm: NPH Variety Hour (Biggest Loser winter 2 hours) 9 pm:The Blacklist 10 pm: Endgame

Fri: 8 pm: Shades of Blue OR Unveiled 9 pm: Grimm 10 pm: Dateline

Sun: 8 pm: Sunday Night Football

*Go Jerrod Go and Sharing held for midseason
    **Undateable may get lucky and earn a spot after Telenovela along with Night Shift as filler in case something fails
    ***NBC will premiere 3-4 new dramas for fall and 1-2 new comedies
    ****Game of Silence, Warriors, Biggest Loser, Celeb Apprentice held for Midseason

Cancelled: State of Affairs, About a Boy (unfortunately), Marry Me, A to Z, Bad Judge, Constantine, Mysteries of Laura, One Big Happy, the Slap, Allegiance

• m3rcnate says:

Just imagine a network that had shows of the quality of:
      Fringe
      30 Rock
      Gracepoint
      Sleepy Hallow
      TWD
      B-99
      House of Cards
      Can you imagine? Instead we get NBC with the Chicago series and a bunch of other garbage shows (The Slap? Really?) etc.
      Well…i can dream, or better yet, nit pick and only watch the shows of that caliber while i sit back and laugh as the other shows get cancelled after one season year after year after year after year…watching network tv slowly die away as the age of the internet grows and improves.

2. Ray says:

Ugh, I don’t watch any of those Chicago shows but now I will have to check this one out,

• dj says:

Too bad. Chicago Fire and P.D. are really good shows. You’re missing out.

• kn1231 says:

You’ll have to watch them all to know what’s going on. I started watching Chicago PD, but the crossovers caused confusion, so I watched Chicago Fire (which ended up being my favorite of the two) and it may viewing both shows a lot more enjoyable. Which means I’ll have to watch Chicago Med to keep up with everything; not that I mind though.

3. David4 says:

I don’t watch any of these shows but damn is this cast great!

4. dj says:

Great cast. Can’t wait for it to start!

5. Tran says:

Great casting news. Hope Oliver Platt should have a great bounce back on prime time TV.

6. Will says:

Do any of these shows actually film in Chicago? genuinely wondering, no snark intended.

• Fay Green says:

Yes they do. All the street locations are legit and I live in the area and know people who work as extras for PD and Fire.

Great shows :) Started watching when it was just Chicago Fire, then a year later when PD came. Can’t wait for Med but hope I don’t get confused with what I’m watching because I’m also watching Night Shift and the DVDs of ER. LOL Too many medical shows but I’m a nurse and love to point out inaccuracies :)

7. Sally McLinn says:

Platt is also on the Good Wife!