Once Upon a Time Promo Asks: Can Emma Be Lured to the Dark Side?

ABC’s new promo for the second half of Once Upon a Time Season 4 hints that Emma, the Savior, may join the Queens of Darkness before all is said and done.

Heard in voiceover in the video below, Rumplestiltskin talks of “three ways to corrupt a hero,” and that for villains Maleficent, Ursula and Cruella to secure their  own”happy endings,” they must find someone who can be “molded” into walking on the “dark side” — as Emma (played by Jennifer Morrison) lets slip a very un-Savior-like smirk.

Are you ready to see Once‘s good girl go a bit (or a lot) bad?

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Joey says:

Three and half seasons on TV. You’d think by now ABC Studios would give this show a budget that didn’t look like they just sent an intern to Party City and said “find the slutty costumes for our characters. Here’s a $50.”

2. Dave says:

BEST NEWS EVER!! Thank God! I was waiting for this since season 1!!

• DIYA says:

I think its gonna be kind of a role reversal, with Regina coming over to the side of good and with Emma going dark….other than Regina does Storybrooke have anybody with magical abilities to protect them, When all these villains with Emma on their side choose to attack.

• harrisoncrawley1999 says:

I know I have aswell

• Margaret Gerhardt says:

You are an idiot as well, they turned Emma bad so whats the point of good always prevailing. What do people have to look forward to any more????

3. Wilson says:

I’d hoped for a promo with new show footage, something reflecting what’s going on in 4b for the whole main cast. But all three Queens of Darkness look fab so this was nice too. I’m just not really buying that they’ll really be after Emma to be honest.

• QuentinSunspear says:

Made for a good Oscar ad, but it’s once again ABC promo dept being misleading imo. Going by quotes from cast & writers, filming news, etc.

4. Tran says:

Emma = NAUGHTY GIRL (not referring to that Beyonce track)

5. abz says:

What is up with Cruella’s eyebrows?
    While I still can’t wait for it to come back, I wish they put more effort into the costumes. Hopefully they just look like that for all the promotion and it may look a bit better on the show.
    Kind of disappointing there’s no actual new footage in the promo especially after two months of nothing.

6. kate says:

Let me roll my eyes. It’s like how they want us to make Scott McCall on Teen Wolf will be bad. They like to make us forget what she was doing when we met her… Luring a bad guy in.

7. DRush76 says:

It’s about damn time. Although I think this “spoiler” is a red herring.

8. meresger says:

Enduring these terrible costumes is going to be the hardest part of watching 4b. I don’t know why they decided Regina faking it had to be the official Disney Ursula costume, so the real Ursula looks like Jamie Foxx’s Wanda from In Living Color. It’s just insulting. And hasn’t Emma been an increasingly selfish and dark person since she got with Hook? Ignoring her son? Arresting people for spilling wine on her? She’s already the anti-Savior as far as I’m concerned. A pity Evil Emma won’t kill Hook, since the writers love that boring/rape culture-y character and ship so much :-(

• abz says:

Emma did not arrest Will for spilling wine on her (what show are you watching?). She arrested him because he snuck off with the money from the register in the ice cream shop. And just because we haven’t been seeing much of Henry and Emma on screen together doesn’t mean she’s ignoring him off screen. Hook has nothing to do with this article.

• Tee says:

True. I assume these people go to the bathroom and grocery shop once in a while, but just because we don’t see it, doesn’t mean it never happens. So, I’m sure Henry and Emma chat and get together too. I mean, he does seem to know where she is when he does have to talk, and hasn’t spent much of this season trapped or away from her like he’s been before.

• Mer says:

I must say, Emma only arrested him at the restaurant and she explicitly told him when he was behind bars that it was for that reason. I know it would have made sense for Emma to arrest Will for stealing money, but did she even caught him? Emma should have arrested Hook all the way back in season 2 when he shot Belle. Let’s just say that she is not the best sheriff around, lol.

• abz says:

She may not be the best sheriff but it’s silly to say she arrested him for spilling wine on her. He was a suspect while investigating who put the ice wall at the edge of town, he stole from the ice cream shop and he broke into the library. Her little line about disrupting her investigation and her night was just one of those back and forth between the characters because Will has a sass with the way he talks and can be sarcastic. She locked him up because she had a reason to.

• Mer says:

She had plenty of reasons to lock up her current boyfriend, but alas, that obviously never happened nor will it. But I respectfully disagree. considering, from Emma’s own mouth, that is not the reason she locked him up. And she didn’t have the decency to food him more than pop tarts. SMH, lol.

• abz says:

I’ve watched that scene and I guess we’re just going to have to agree to disagree as we both interpreted it differently. She did explicitly say “disrupting my investigation” in addition to her comment about her “night”.

9. Tiffany says:

We definitely need Elsa and Anna help if Emma goes to the dark side. We need all the good we can get. Plus would love to see them back, maybe in the season finale.

10. ninergrl6 says:

Nooooo! I was contentedly watching the Oscars & then BOOM. I was like, “Wait WHAT?! I need to see that again!” & rewound it immediately. My family didn’t know why I was freaking out. I have a very bad feeling about this. On the plus side, I enjoy character development for Emma. I just don’t like the thought of her developing in this particular direction.

11. Tony Shumway says:

If Emma gets corrupted I think that could mean, big trouble for the characters of Once Upon a Time.

12. Carda says:

Please, someone give Emma some concealer! Those zombie eyes demonstrating her inner turmoils annoy the heck out of me!!

13. Marco says:

Nice to see the focus on Emma this season instead of Rumple, Hook or Regina, but… I’m not feeling this.

14. Zelda says:

I would have preferred a promo with new scenes too. Or at least something that features more of the main characters. We all know Emma is their special snowflake, no need to hammer that point home.

15. K says:

I do like the show but this last season seemed to have the worst scripts. It drug Frozen on tooo long. I love the make-up changes to put one in the mind set of what is happening to the character (good example Regina and her good/evil changes). I agree with the budget comments on costumes – needs increased. I’ve always taken it that what we saw was intentional to make it look cheezier.

16. Joan says:

I am so looking forward to seeing Emma go dark!

17. Mer says:

I wonder how will Emma turn “evil”? Is she cursed? Or is she just manipulated by QoD and Rumple? Either way, I am cringing because it is an obvious attempt to prop up the concept that Hook is magically a hero that will save her.

18. Noelle says:

I feel like they have been going way too disney lately. In the beginning, it was just fairytales, and it was good, but now it’s all about Disney stuff. I mean, Frozen & 101 dalmatians are not fairy tales as far as I can tell.

19. mary says:

i was waiting for this , i love this show am going to watch it ! i think jennifer morrison is doing a great job .

20. coco says:

so its QOD vs rumple vs emma on dark side.. and the hero/good side only has charmings and ah.. regina?! that doesn’t sound good..lol

21. gloria 098 says:

YAY RED LEATHER JACKET IS BACK!! i love that jacket you should keep that on her more ofter(forever if you want);)

22. Margaret Gerhardt says:

You are all awful writers, all everyone seeks in the world today is some happiness, whether it be in a TV show or at home. You have destroyed this show, just cancel it and let it lie unless you can rectify your mistake.