Exclusive

American Idol Sneak Peek: Savion Wright Makes His Case for a Top 24 Slot

Savion Wright’s tearful elimination during Season 13’s “Green Mile” was one of American Idol‘s feel-bad moments of 2014.

But as the following exclusive video proves, the Texas troubadour lives his life like a Chumbawamba lyric: He gets knocked down, but he gets up again.

Yep, we’ve got a sneak peek of Savion’s performance of John Mayer’s “I Don’t Trust Myself (With Loving You)” from tonight’s Top 48 House of Blues showcase (Fox, 8/7c). Will it be enough to get him into the Season 14 voting rounds?

Press PLAY below, then hit the comments with your thoughts. Are you Team Savion or does this performance have you worried about his prospects?

1. Gailer says:

I’m team Savion since last year!

2. He is definatley gonna give Clark, rayvon, and Trevor a run for their money!!! Go Savion, Sarina, Loren, Tyanna, and Emily!!! :)

3. Kate says:

That doesn’t sound like his best performance, but I’m a fan and I can’t imagine a top 12 without him in it. We are about a decade overdue for a viable black male contestant. (Lusky stank, I’m lookin at you)

• Ben says:

I can’t really complain about Joshua Ledet.

But yeah, I’m loving this years grouping of black males. If even two of Savion, Qaasim and Quentin make it (in addition to Rayvon last night) I’m hoping that one or two of the black guys go deep in this competition.

4. Timmah says:

Frankly I couldn’t care less if he makes it through. I don’t find anything interesting about his tone or delivery.

5. Lili says:

Rating the first half of the top 24:
    [THUMBS UP = I wouldn’t vote for them, but I like these contestants, therefore I am rooting for them to go far in the competition; NOT IMPRESSED = I won’t be sad if/when they get voted out because I’ll probably skip their performances every week]

Tyanna Jones

THUMBS UP (in alphabetical order):
    Clark Beckham
    Maddie Walker
    Michael Simeon
    Rayvon Owen

NOT IMPRESSED (in alphabetical order)
    Adanna Duru
    Adam Ezegelian
    Daniel Seavey
    Jax
    Lovey James
    Shannon Berthiaume

VETO:
    Loren Lott

• Smokey says:

Maddie Walker has made some high marks in talent contests in her home state, even though just 16, she can handle Country, Pop or most of the old Diva songs very well. …….. song choice during top 12 girls show will be crucial, but she could be a strong, tough competitor against the other 11.

• I disagree with you about Loren lott. While I agree that MHWGO was not her personal best, there is a huge voice in there. I think it depends on song choice that will decide her fate and how to control her voice. Also Shannon is really growing on me, in my mind, she has the RAWEST voice out of the top 48-top 24. :)

• Lili says:

Well, I also think that Florence + The Machine is amazing, so I can’t criticize your taste on music. But I’ll say this: I don’t know why Loren keeps singing these monsters of songs… You say she has “a huge voice” but everything she delivered so far was bad compared to the original versions. Skyfall is difficult even for Adele. And My Heart Will Go on? Come on! Hundreds, thousands of songs to sing and she chooses to sink the Titanic one more time? I’m not a fan of Shannon either. For me she will always be Shouty McShouterson, as Michael once said on Reality Check.

• Thanks for respecting MS. FLORENCE WELCH. Also I think Loren picked that song because she dedicated to her parents and I think she said it on twitter. But you can’t deny that there is talent in her. Lets just see what she can do next Thursday!!! :) I’m rooting for her, sarina, Tyanna, Quentin, and Clark.

6. Savion is soooo good. I really hope we will have him around for a long time! He’s my favourite along with Clark and Sarina (and maybe Katherine, I have the feeling that she might surprise us).

7. Jill Moy says:

Savion will make it. I picked 4 from start and he will make it 4 through to top 24! He is a shoo in!

8. Timmah says:

Are next week’s shows not live? I’m already reading spoilers about the top 24 performances.

• Jill Moy says:

The top 24 could be found on the internet in December. I chose not to look at because what is the sense of watching if one already knows??? Stupid move for the show! I’m sure many people aren’t watching until the top 24 are in place, if they already know who they are! I have felt it was stupid from the beginning…NOT GOOD FOR RATINGS AT ALL!

9. Anthony says: