Where Is Sleepy Hollow's Kindred? Star Tom Mison Has a Marvel-ous Theory

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Finale Preview Tom Mison

Put aside for a moment the fact that Sleepy Hollow‘s Katrina has gone to the dark side. Disregard that Henry is worm food. Don’t think too much about the tumble through time Abbie and Mrs. Crane took at the end of this week’s episode.

We’re going to need you to train all of your mental focus on the fact that The Kindred — the evil-fighting avatar that Ichabod and Abbie constructed (and promptly lost) at the beginning of this season — is still out there, roaming Westchester County like a roadtripper with a busted GPS.

If you’re wondering just where that behemoth is hiding, you’re in good company: Series star Tom Mison tells TVLine he’s puzzled, too. But he’s got an Avengers-inspired theory — as well as some thoughts on the upcoming season finale (Fox, Monday at 9/8c) — which he was happy to share.

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | The Kindred is still roaming around Sleepy Hollow.
[Laughs] Yeah.

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Finale Tom MisonTVLINE | What’s the possibility we’ll see it again?
I have been begging, begging for months to just have a shot — just one thing, apropos of nothing — mirroring the end-of-credits sequence in The Avengers, with The Kindred sitting, having a shawarma, just waiting, a little bit lost, on his own. Perhaps with The Sandman. [Laughs]

TVLINE | And how is that going?
Small steps, Kim. Small steps. This is a long race.

TVLINE | You’ve mentioned that there’s a level of finality in the season finale that you wouldn’t expect from this show. Could the episode serve as a series finale, if that comes to pass?
No. I think it does open the door. It opens a big door for a new team; new relationships within the team are forged in that final episode that open a door to such great opportunities for Season 3. If [a renewal] doesn’t happen, there would be a few questions answered, but there would be questions raised about what would happen now.

1. BreakTimex says:

I can’t believe how bad they screwed this show up. one of my favorites but season 2 lost it’s way. that holly guy was awful and had too big of a role. irving storyline was really bad. not enough focus on abby and crane. katrina was better on the fringes. Where the heck is headless. giving him a face and voice killed his mystique. crane fitting in was a big deal but took a back seat. jenny and irving were tight in season one but nothing in season 2.

• Joey says:

Hawley was just the worst. How the heck do they give Hawley, a guest character, more screen time than actual main characters Jenny Mills and Frank Irving? This season really did lose its way, and I think a lot of that has to do with giving its 5 more episodes than the first season had. 5 may not seem like a lot, but it ends up having a negative effect on the show. The moloch storyline didn’t need nearly as much time as they gave it this season. Then most episodes after were wasteful, and only now, with one episode left, is something actually happening. It’s like the writers lost their ability to pace things properly. Though I guess FOX had a bigger hand in the show this season, so they deserve a lot of blame.

2. Susan says:

I think Fox will renew the series but will insist on changes – and rightfully so. I would expect those changes to be behind the camera since the actors (including Katia!) aren’t responsible for this miasma and have done the best they could with what they had to work with. Also wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see the number of episodes return to 13 or, at most, maybe 15. We’ll see, but I’m betting it’ll be back next year.

3. James says:

If you want to know where The Kindred is you should check out his twitter: @SleepyKindred It’s pretty funny.

4. Babybop says:

A new team? I’m getting slightly afraid they’re going to separate Ichabod and Abbie… Which will make me sad.

• herman1959 says:

I agree that things don’t sound good. Tom Mison sounds like he’s OK with the show being cancelled or significantly changed – that’s not good.

5. Alichat says:

A new team? Oh dear this is making me nervous. And yes….yes!! They must do the shwarma scene with Kindred!! Even if the show doesn’t get renewed (please let it be renewed!!!), they must film something for the DVD/Blu-ray extras of what Kindred has been doing.

6. Maryann says:

I wonder if we will switch direction to have Abbie and Ichabod in the past, with Abbie the fish out of water, or if they will return to a radically changed present?

7. I sound like a broken record because I’m posting on just about every SH article I can find, but here goes :) I’m disappointed in how Evil Katrina was done, but I’ll take it however I can get it! She has been an awful character. For those stating this came out of nowhere, please re-watch and you will see clues throughout this season, and even a few questionable scenes from season one.

The best thing the show could’ve done for her, since they planned on doing nothing useful until now, is revealed her as the big bad at the end of season ONE. She left Abbie in her place in purgatory and the reveal that she’s the bad guy would be a huge blow to Ichabod–the perfect setup. The character would’ve had a purpose instead of sitting around all day in a corset whining. It made perfect sense considering she spent HUNDREDS of years in purgatory. It is unbelievable that the environment wouldn’t affect her after we’ve seen what it did to Ichabod and Abbie in minutes, witch or not. The writers wasted the perfect opportunity to make her relevant because very few people were buying that lame love story garbage. Watching Katrina and Ichabod profess their love for one another is like watching mildly animated planks of wood interact. Katrina and Henry could’ve spent the first half of this season together being the villains, and we would’ve never been down this awful road that is season two. The best episode is the second to last? How unfair. I see they’re trying to course correct, and I’m just hoping it isn’t too late.

8. Ian says:

When they took a less serialized/more episodic approach with this season, they ended up introducing too many ideas that just became loose threads they never got back to, like the Kindred or Orion or a cave full of petrified heroes and Abbie’s ancestor. Its made for a sloppy, rather pointless season for the most part.

Tell a more cohesive story next season, writers.

9. HavMon21 says:

Sounds like Nicole Behar is might be leaving.

• Gia says:

I didn’t get Nicole is leaving from anything Tom said. I just saw her on Tavis Smiley and I didn’t get that from her either.

10. Elise says:

The whole problem with this season was the fact that the relationship between Ichabod and Abby was put on the back-burner for that of Ichabod and Katrina. I for one watch this show not only because it’s an interesting and entertaining as hell premise, but because the Beharie/Mison chemistry is something really special. I stuck by it all through season 2 because at the end of the day, the show is about Ichabod and Abby and it was always going to come back to that. I just hope FOX realized it has a brilliant show on its hands and allows the creators to get back to it. Here’s to season three and to not being fare-weather fans.

11. Liz says:

I enjoyed this show from the start. Please continue!!!