Exclusive

New Girl Video: It's Her Dad's Wedding Day, So Where Is Jess' Date?

New Girl Season 4 Video Oregon

You had one job, New Girl‘s Ryan…

When Jess’ long-distance honey fails to keep the first big promise he’s made since returning to England — being her date for her dad’s wedding — the news doesn’t sit well with her mom (returning guest star Jamie Lee Curtis) or the rest of the roomies.

PHOTOS New Girl‘s Zooey Deschanel on Being the ‘Female Jordan Catalano’ — Plus: Pics From Jess’ Dad’s Wedding

In this exclusive sneak peek at Tuesday’s episode (Fox, 9/8c), writer Nina Pedrad takes us through Jess’ trip home, including her best man duties, the reappearance of Kaitlin Olson and Rob Reiner as the happy couple and Joan Day’s (over)enthusiasm for her daughter’s new guy.

Press PLAY on the clip below to see what’ll unfold.

1. Drew says:

I really wish that they hadn’t gone in such a traditional, cliche direction with this plotline. Sitcoms always get so scared of accidentally adding worthwhile characters that could work better than the “endgame” couples that they end up falling back on played out ideas, just to get rid of new characters ASAP.

• A fan of TV says:

I think the show is screwed because Jess and Nick is totally polarizing. You either passionately support them as endgame or you passionately dislike them, so no matter what the show does about 50 per cent of the viewers will hate it.

• Drew says:

I was fine with them as a couple, but the breakup felt natural enough that I am good with them being over. I don’t feel a need to go back to it. Kai and Ryan were good characters, but sitcom law forbids them from sticking around. That is frustrating. I think Paul Rudd on Friends was the only one to ever break this law.

• A fan of TV says:

Personally, I felt like the break up was as rushed as their getting together. Not enough closure and they’re definitely not done with those feelings, even if they’ve locked them in a box for the time being. Kai and Ryan, just distractions. The reason Mike broke that rule (offhand I can’t think of more, but its pretty early where I am) is less because he was a good character, and more because Friends fans wanted a happy ever after for Phoebe, and it would have been patently ridiculous and shark-jumping for the writers to pair up the last two friends, having already paired up the other four.

• A fan of TV says:

*not that he was a bad character, he was a bit flat but perfect for Phoebe and played by a very well-liked actor.

2. Nechelle says:

I have AT&T and my guide info is saying that they’re going to her dad’s funeral not his wedding.

3. Ashley says:

I think the perfect thing to do in this situation is have Nick “be her date” like in the beginning of season one, when Jess did the same for him. You can thank me later, writers of New Girl. :)

4. RP says:

This show has become such a train wreck of cliches. Please put down the “sitcom for dummies” book and use your brain for some creativity involving these characters. There was absolutely zero chemistry between Jess and Ryan, yet somehow she’s desperately latched onto him saying “I love you” every five seconds like she’s some overly attached puppy dog. I don’t even recognize this version of Jess anymore. Such a hollow and ditz-y character now.

5. Annie says:

“In this exclusive sneak peek at Tuesday’s episode (Fox, 9/8c), writer Nina Pedrad takes us through Jess’ trip home…”

LOL, that’s not Nina Pedrad (unless she had a recent face transplant)!!!

6. Megan says:

I hate Ryan and I hate that Jess keeps saying “I love you” to him. This relationship was so poorly written that I don’t believe she loves him. It feels forced, fake, and so wrong. And Nick is so annoyingly okay with it all, it’s so unbelieavable. They have basically been ignoring each other all season. You don’t want to write Nick and Jess as a couple? Fine. But what about their friendship? Seasons 1 to 3 were all about that. Their FRIENDSHIP was the heart of the show and I just don’t see it anymore. These writers seem to have lost the ability to write belieavable stuff on the show.

• Siqueira says:

Ryan is boring, Jess becomes a boring and dull character when she’s with him and Nick is now a 10 year old boy. They have been my least 3 favorite characters this season. It’s sad, because Nick and Jess used to be my fav. They were such rich characters, and their relationship was so rich, and I don’t mean necessarily their romance, but that frienship with a hint of something more. Now I see more depth on Coach and Jess friendship than on hers with Nick. How did that happen?

• RP says:

This season has been the worst by far. Jess is so ditz-y and desperate over Ryan that I don’t even recognize her character anymore. There’s no chemistry at all and they haven’t even sold to me that they should be dating, let alone all this “love” nonsense every 2 seconds. Maybe if at the end she admits she was so desperate to be a “fridge person” that she forced herself to fit Ryan into that ideal, it would all make sense? I don’t know why these writers completely lost their ability to write great plots and characters.

• Kristina says:

Yeah, didn’t they say one of the reasons they broke up was because they missed their friendship?? I was fine (ok not fine, I was sad but understanding of the reasons) with the breakup, but I don’t care at all for the way it’s been handled since.

7. Siria Love says:

This show is so boring now that nick and jess are not together,they’re not even friends

8. Azerty says:

I was routing for Nick and Jess for 2 seasons until they get together and I was expecting more from them. Now Jess and Ryan are ok, not better than N/J but I like the guy who plays Ryan so aright. But last week end they send him back to England, that was so stupid, it has been done hundred of time in sitcom…and of course they will break up over this. The best thing to do here is to send Jess in England at the end of the season and have a one or two years time jump to go back from square one with Jess moving back to the appartment at the beginning of next year. Beside this would help to explain Coach’s exit.

• RP says:

So they’re all 35 and still living together in the loft? Please, no. The show is spinning it’s wheels and not only is it making the characters come off as more and more stupid, it’s making the show boring as anything. At some point you either have to make your characters GO somewhere or decide to end the series.

• Azerty says:

Agree but I guess they won’t change the heart of the show which is the gang living all together. I don’t think such comedies can afford to change their MO. For example after 8 years Sheldon and Leonard are still roomates in Big Bang Theory and it took what 9 years? for Ted to live on his own on How I met…

• Gupy says:

Sadly, the second they became an item I correctly predicted that the writers would break them up by having Ryan move back to England. Boo to lazy writing!!

9. Kate says:

Jess is my least favorite character now. This whole season has been about her finding a man, and it’s annoying. Even all her great career development had to be centered around Ryan this season. She used to be such a breath of fresh air for female tv characters, and now they’ve just lumped her in with all the other one-dimensional ditzes who just need to find a man.

10. Sorry writers, this season sucked says:

Nick used to be my favorite, but now he just shouts all his lines and it’s super annoying. And Jess’s (and the writers) love for Ryan is simply bewildering. This show has gone down the tubes.

11. tyranthraxus says:

You know, I could care less about Jess and Nick. Schmidt and Winston is where this show is at. I also kinda like Fawn in a strange way.

12. Gupy says:

I really liked Ryan up until the thanksgiving (bangsgiving?) episode. Then the writers deliberately messed up their relationship because you know, TV sitcom law dictates that Jess can’t stay with one guy for more than one season. Sheesh, how predictable.