Pilot News: Marcia Gay Harden Boards CBS' Code Black Medical Drama

Marcia Gay Harden CBS Pilot

Academy Award winner Marcia Gay Harden is scrubbing in for CBS this pilot season, with a role on the medical drama Code Black.

Based on the festival award-winning Ryan McGarry documentary, Code Black is set in the busiest and most notorious ER in the nation — L.A. County Hospital — where the extraordinary staff confronts a broken system in order to protect their ideals and the patients who need them the most.

Harden will play Christa, a former soccer mom whose son died of cancer. Now she is a newly minted, talented and dedicated doctor whose experience handling her son’s disease — coupled with her intuition and life experience — makes her see things that often escape her much younger fellow residents.

Harden’s recent TV credits include How to Get Away With Murder, Trophy WifeThe Newsroom and Law & Order: SVU.

1. Samara says:

She has payed a doctor before right?

2. LT says:

I mean…I’m thrilled to see her on TV, but c’mon Hollywood….this is an ACADEMY AWARD WINNER! Where are all the film parts for great women???? Ohhh, that’s right, on TV!

3. TVNerd says:

CBS is trying to recreate the NBC ER/ABC Grey’s Anatomy magic but until they can slot the medical show on a good night, it will continue to fail. They tried with Three Rivers on Sundays against football and then A Gifted Man on Fridays where there is low viewership to begin with…they have been in the hunt for a medical franchise for few years now…I wonder if this can be a breakout for them or if NBC Chicago Med will be the next big medical hit drama?

4. I know she’ll be amazing in this but a medical show on CBS sounds like the ultimate in snooze. She was so, so, SO funny on Trophy Wife that I almost wish she were doing another comedy.

5. bradick says:

I will follow Marcia Gay Harden to the end of the Earth. She’s amazing. My only qualms with her career is how her character in Damages never got a proper resolution, Trophy Wife getting cancelled, and how they’re doing her hair on HTGAWM right now.

6. B says:

the logline sounds very run of the mill but CBS has done well with their female led dramas (good wife, madam secretary) so this could be a winner

7. Eran says:

I could watch this woman recite mediaeval Latvian poetry. She can do no wrong in my book.

8. Susan says:

i cannot wait to see Ms. Harden, she is a wonderful actress. This is so very exciting. Good luck and good wishes on your new show. Hope it goes on forever. Warm wishes Susie

9. Gayle says:

Is Marcia Gay Harden leaving Code Black?

• Nan says:

That is my question, too. I love her character along with the rest of the case, especially “Mama” and Dr. Hudson. I hope she isn’t leaving. And, I hope they renew for season two. I like this show.