Dakota Johnson to Host the Next SNL — With Musical Guest Alabama Shakes

Dakota Johnson Host SNL

Can she be Fifty Shades of funny?

Dakota Johnson is set to host the next episode of Saturday Night Live, airing Feb. 28, the actress herself announced during an “audience questions” sketch during Sunday’s 40th anniversary special.

Johnson of course is starring opposite Jamie Dornan in Fifty Shades of Grey, which dominated the box office in its opening weekend. Her comedy cred includes the one-and-done Fox series Ben and Kate, and an appearance on The Office.

UPDATE: NBC has confirmed that Alabama Shakes will serve as musical guest during Johnson’s episode; they last graced the Studio 8H stage in February 2013.

1. Mary Kate says:

I think she’ll do great. She’s actually pretty funny in interviews and Ben and Kate was a cute and funny show.

• Bartleby says:

I hate to be that guy, but literally every interview I have seen her do was awful and Ben and Kate was cancelled for a reason (aka it was horrible). I’ll give her a chance, but my standards are incredibly low.

2. David4 says:

She clearly has no standards in movies, so she will fit perfectly into SNL and NBC.

• wrstlgirl says:

How old are you, like 12??

• David4 says:

I’m sorry. I’m not a fan of a movie about abusive relationships and mistreatment of women.

• Jss0058 says:

You’ve obviously not read the books or seen the movie. It might not be to your taste but it’s not abuse. The book was written by a woman and the movie directed by a woman…it is anything but a movie about the mistreatment of women

• Emily says:

Just because it was written by a woman doesn’t mean that Twilight fanfic isn’t abusive. Clearly David is familiar enough with it to recognize it is absolutely abusive. BDSM is fine (and fantastic for many people), but 50 Shades is an abusive relationship.

• PSands says:

I think a lot of people may assume when people say that the book/movie glorifies abuse they mean that BDSM is abuse. While I can’t speak for the original commenter, what I think most people are actually referring to is not consensual adult activities but rather the instances of… well, abuse. Ladies, it isn’t okay for a man to stalk you, order a background check after you’ve met once, show up someplace you ask him not to, take you to a hotel to ‘take care of you’ when you don’t know him and are not coherent, isolate you from friends and family, be jealous of every man in your life and control whom you see, coerce or manipulate consent, buy the company you work at so he can control you there, show up at your workplace when he’s mad at you… I could go on. And, just because a woman wrote it doesn’t mean it can’t possibly be a portrayal of abuse.

Before reading or watching, I encourage anyone to read the excellent write-ups that correctly identify this book as glamorization of a toxic relationship in The Atlantic, The Washington Post, Forbes… really, just google 50 shades and abuse, you can’t throw a rock without hitting an article about this book portraying an abusive relationship.

• Debbie says:

A toxic relationship and an abusive relationship are not the same thing. The material here is NOT about abuse people are twisting it so they can bash something they don’t like.

• ec says:

This convo is admittedly off-topic, but I have to speak out. Debbie, I would encourage you to check out the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence for some info on what is abuse. Speaking personally, this isn’t about calling something abuse because I don’t like it. It’s about seeing something terrible that many women go through presented in a romantic light. Manipulating consent = abuse. Constant belittling (through outbursts of anger, yelling) = abuse. Controlling where you go and who you see = abuse. I’m so confused by people who think this is some dreamy love story.

• topoopon says:

But then the weird smear relating it to SNL? How is SNL abusive? Don’t like it? Use the remote.

• wrstlgirl says:

That’s certainly your right but why knock someone else’s career choices just because you don’t like the content. That’s so childish. And I won’t even get into the the abuse and mistreatment conversation.

• Liz says:

@PSAnds and @ec I agree with you. Everyone likes to think that this movie is about BDSM and it’s glorification. Everyone assumes that BDSM is about abuse and how it’s consensual. In reality it is the complete opposite and its about respecting each other. And because 50 shades is the Twilight knock off it’s going to have the underlying tones of a controlling relationship, weak female character. And @Debbie a toxic and abusive relationship is the same thing, your toxic so your abusing each other.

I just think she will suck because she has as much personality as a celery stick.

3. GuessWhat says:

50 Shades of NAY

4. wrstlgirl says:

Congrats to her. She’s a very talented young actress and her career is just taking off. She’ll be awesome.

5. Casey says:

I hate to be THAT person, but Ben and Kate was on Fox. But aside from that, I hope people give her a chance and don’t judge her solely on Fifty Shades. She’s actually kinda funny and charming. Poor girl. I hope that movie doesn’t completely ruin her career.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thank you for the catch! We’re obviously busy here multitasking with our analysis of the anniversary show. Typos happen!

6. Tran says:

Never read the book and the movie.

7. S says:

Are they making her wear silver/gray dresses to all of these events on purpose? First the Golden Globes then tonight? She’s in a movie wth grey in the title… I get it…..still not clever.

8. Samara says:

She just looks naturally nervous, I’m not too sure how this will go.

9. Tammy says:

What’s the over/under on whether or not she will be better than January Jones?

10. maggie says:

Have either of her parents, Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith, ever hosted?

11. Tim says:

She’s very talented! Runs in the family.

12. kirads09 says:

Not at all into 50 Shades (books or film) or current day SNL. But wanted to comment on wow – does Dakota look exactly like her mom – Melanie Griffith (at least before Mel had any work done).

13. Ann VerWiebe says:

Someday, when she’s a children’s book author, she’ll look back at this point in her life and laugh.

14. cuius says:

Well we’ve seen two things she can’t do, perhaps third time lucky

15. Ange says:

They dont know what to do with her anymore. Her face is everywhere is annoying

16. Heathers says:

Why did her parents name her that hideous name? I’m so tired of hearing all of these stupid names celebs give their kids. Why didn’t they just name her North South Dakota. Stupid. She doesn’t look like either parent either. Is she adopted? Her parents are both extremely good looking, well Melanie was good looking before the plastic surgeries. Her, not so much. She just looks like a mall girl.

17. DAG says:

Blech. I’d rather see Paddington Bear host….

• Ken Hidaka says:

Even better, I’d much prefer Two Broke Girls star Kat Dennings as an upcoming guest host than Paddington Bear, because we need more female guest hosts.

I don’t know why SNL hasn’t given Kat Dennings an opportunity to host this show, but I honestly think she deserves a chance, but I wish they would stop overlooking her as a possible guest host, and try and get her for one of the upcoming shows in March, because she has a new movie out next month.

18. Ken Hidaka says:

It’s great that SNL finally got a female guest host on their show, and I wish they would start picking more female guest hosts, like Two Broke Girls star Kat Dennings, who has a new movie out next month called “To Write Love on Her Arms”.

But, what I don’t understand is why SNL keeps overlooking Kat Dennings as a possible guest host for other high-profiled tv and movie stars and musicians.

How can you underestimate her talent, her beauty or even what’s she capable of doing as your next host?

You know Kat Dennings deserves an opportunity to host Saturday Night Live, and all I’m saying to Saturday Night Live “Give Kat Dennings a chance!”

19. arial2 says:

It should be fine, as long as Jamie Dornan doesn’t make a surprise appearance. They apparently have no love lost in real life. She looks a lot like her grandmother, Tippi Hedren (The Birds) at the same age.

20. Jane says:

She did a great job in 50 shades, and she is beautiful /. Good job….

21. cyclone says:

I actually think she is quite funny. I enjoyed Ben and Kate a lot and it wasn’t for Nat Faxon because I find him quite annoying.