Ratings: Slap Is Soft, Blacklist Slips, Allegiance Falls, Backstrom Rises

Blacklist Thursday Ratings

NBC’s limited series The Slap opened on Thursday with 5.1 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating (per finals), up a tick from last week’s 8 pm Blacklist repeat and down 12 percent in the demo from Biggest Loser‘s Jan. 29 finale.

TVLine readers gave the dysfunctional family drama an average grade of “C.”

At 9 o’clock, The Blacklist (8.2 mil/1.7) dropped 19 and 29 percent from its Thursday debut, to a series low. Allegiance (3.7 mil/0.7) tumbled 28 and 37 percent from its premiere.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Grey’s Anatomy (7.8 mil/2.3) and How to Get Away (8.4 mil/2.7) were steady, while Scandal (9.3 mil/3.1) ticked down but reclaimed its status as Thursday’s most watched drama.

FOX | Idol (9.6 mil/2.3) dipped a tenth week-to-week, while Backstrom (4.4 mil/1.2) rose 20 percent in Week 3.

CBS | Leading out of an old Bang, Mom (10.2 mil/2.1) fell 25 percent in the demo. The penultimate Two and a Half Men (9.3 mil/2.1) slipped two tenths, and Elementary (7.9 mil/1.4) ticked down.

THE CW | The Vampire Diaries (1.5 mil/0.7) and Reign (1 mil/0.4) were flat.

1. The jazz soundtrack on The Slap was nice. The show itself…. well, that’s another story.

2. Eric7740 says:

SCANDAL! SCANDAL! SCANDAL!!!
    HOW LONG TILL NBC MOVES BLACKLIST BACK TO MONDAY???

3. Tran says:

Hope NBC should have a Plan B for its Thursday night line-up next season even if Blacklist stays put on Thursdays @ 9 and I have a feeling that the network is destined to picked up Chicago Med as a series and placed in its post Blacklist time slot (Thursdays @ 10). This doesn’t bode well for Allegiance and The Slap.

4. Joe says:

I’ve been watching scandal the past 3 weeks , they don’t wrap up the stupid kidnapped story line soon I’m going to show The blacklist support ( it looks like it needs it )

5. Ethel says:

Having this loser of a lead in, Blacklist will lose viewers every week. Guess this is why we have DVRs

6. Joe says:

The slap just looks stupid

7. Boiler says:

Still time to renew of Hart of Dixie!!

8. anonymous says:

I guess NBC is the next FOX.Why?Because NBC and FOX are both strugling because of the ratings.NBC is also strugling with comedies,because of small ratings.In fact,none of the NBC comedies in 2012(Go On,Up All Night),2013(Sean Saves the World,The Michael J. Fox Show) ,2014(Bad Judge,A to Z) and now 2015(Marry Me and About the Boy is next)are renewing because of small ratings.But altought The Blacklist is “Number 1” drama on Tursdays,that belongs to Scandal(Shonda always wins over Thursdays).I think it is the end of an era for NBC.
    Just saying

• Tran says:

NBC was at the bottom since the 2004-05 season but now it’s Fox whose at the bottom and NBC is currently in second place behind CBS which remains in first and still America’s Most Watched Network despite its grueling prime time schedule.

• John says:

FOX currently has Empire and some comedy success. NBC ruined their 1 hit scripted show by sending it to a competitive timeslot.

• Tran says:

I know that but Blacklist is now caught between a rock and a hard place sandwiched between two new drama series in disaster mode.

• Julie says:

State of Affairs will get cancelled and The Blacklist will be back on Monday nights. Hopefully at least.

• herman1959 says:

Agreed, although I remember an NBC exec or series EP saying that The Blacklist would not return to Monday even if SoA didn’t make it. HA! – some times “stuff” happens.

• ? says:

I don’t think so. Even if Blacklist loses half the viewers it had on Monday nights on Thursdays, NBC will leave it there because its the only chance the network has to get any viewers at all on that night. Anything else NBC puts on Thursdays craters hard, so if the Blacklist’s ratings only decline to “moderate” from the “strong” they used to be on Monday, that’s a massive net positive gain for NBC.

• herman1959 says:

True, The Blacklist at 9 now has the same problems as Parenthood had at 10 – competition and writing. In the case of Parenthood, NBC was committed to that time slot and was slow to cancel the show even after the writing suffered ( the writers ran out of stories) because there was nothing to replace it with. My point is that I hoped that NBC had learned a lesson from the Parenthood experience, but it doesn’t seem so. They should just bite the bullet and admit they made a mistake, cancel SoA, and return The Blacklist to Monday.

9. Boiler says:

I know no one likes total viewer numbers but it is nice to see Elementary hanging in with Murder

• Grey says:

It’s not that we don’t like them it’s just the networks only care about the 18-49 demo because that gets them ad revenue. So because of that we tend to only pay attention to the demo. I would absolutely love it if they went back to old days of putting the importance on ALL the viewers instead of one specific group.

• John says:

Than we would only have police procedurals and no serialized shows. I’d rather look at the demo, because no offense the demo has more interesting taste than just police procedurals on CBS. Younger people also are less likely to watch live

• bj says:

John said…”Younger people also are less likely to watch live”

This is why I don’t understand how a weak lead in can affect a show so much. I record everything I want to watch. I don’t care what’s on before it or after it. Do we still have large segments of the population who don’t have remotes and just sit lazily in a chair all night and let the tv run on one channel?

• Julie says:

Only those that are older than targeted demo. It drives me nuts that my parents haven’t learned how to pause live TV andthen FF commercials. I don’t think I’ve watched live TV at night at least in ten years.

10. Viv says:

Well, the ratings slip on Thursdays for The Blacklist was to be expected considering the competition… And Backstrom is really growing on me. I won´t get too attached… never ends good.

• Tran says:

Blacklist is still doing fine on Thursdays but I couldn’t understand why Scandal is topping the 9 p.m. Thursday night time slot again despite that kidnapping story line involving the series’ lead character and I still can’t stand Backstrom because the title character is no Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) and hope that it gets one season tops.

11. Ray says:

The Blacklist got Slapped hard by Scandal.

12. Tran says:

Here’s my bold prediction for NBC’s Thursday night line-up next season: 8 p.m. – HOUR LONG COMEDY BLOCK or NEW DRAMA SERIES. 9 p.m. – The Blacklist or NEW DRAMA SERIES. 10 p.m. – Chicago Med (if it gets picked up as a series).

13. Chaya says:

Can’t think of a bigger group .of unpleasant characters in a more tedious plot.

14. Tran says:

Here’s my bold prediction for CBS’ Thursday night line-up after football next season: 8 p.m. – The Big Bang Theory or 2 Broke Girls. 8:30 p.m. – 2 Broke Girls or Mike and Molly or NEW COMEDY SERIES. 9 p.m. – Mom. 9:30 p.m. – NEW COMEDY SERIES. 10 p.m. – NEW or RETURNING DRAMA SERIES or Elementary.

15. Nero tTVf says:

Yes, Blacklist dropped, but we need to wait to see DVR + ‘x’ numbers as well here before we give up on NBC’s Thursday strategy. NBC had to do something on Thursday nights, and taking risks is sometimes unavoidable when programming a schedule.

Programming that 8pm slot on Thursdays is always a challenge – if you don’t have a great comedy like TBBT, then you hope you have a show like Grey’s that can slot into that spot. NBC has neither a solid comedy nor a ‘Grey’s like show for that 8pm Thursday slot to lead into Blacklist. And therein lies the problem.

Anyone taking odds on how long NBC allows ‘The Slap’ to occupy that Thursday slot? It is a limited run series, but the term ‘limited’ may take on a whole new meaning if NBC can find something else, anything else, for that Thursday 8 pm slot.

I just looked at NBC’s ‘bench’ to see what might be ‘waiting in the wings’. Nothing? The only shows that I see still available are ‘Mission Control’, ‘Mr. Robinson’, ‘Odyssey’ and ‘One Big Happy’? Are they still in play? Maybe a combination of these series will ‘click’ on Thursday? If not, its onto next fall and a decision by NBC this May at Upfront as to what to build around Blacklist, which I assume is going to stay where it is for next fall? What else can NBC do?

• Tran says:

NBC pulled the plug on Mission Control before it haven’t even premiere yet.

• Nero tTVf says:

Thank you for the correction – indeed, I did some checking (and some catching up, I haven’t been as focused this past fall on broadcast TV as in years past – I hope to get back on game once pilot season arrives) and Mission was scratched by NBC last fall. It appears NBC will place Odyssey on Sunday nights, Big Happy on Tuesday nights, and Night Shift on Mondays at 10pm, following new cycle of The Voice. So, it appears the bench series for NBC are already spoken for.

Again, I’ve been out of the loop on much of this since last summer, so I honestly don’t know of NBC’s plans for State of Affairs on Monday in Feb/March once Night Shift returns. I know the ratings haven’t been so good for Affairs since Voice ended it’s recent cycle. However, if they still have a couple of episodes left in the can, might be interesting to try Affairs over on Thursday night – 10pm (could they air this show at 8pm?), just to see how KH holds up against Shonda’s series. What do they have to lose?

16. Jenna says:

I tuned into The Slap out of curiosity, and will watch again next week, as I like the cast; The Blacklist is still must-see-TV for me, but I fell asleep during Allegiance. I’ll probably switch back to HTGAWM at 10, but Scandal is off my list for now.

I admire NBC for trying new things, but I’m afraid they are hurting one of their best shows: The Blacklist.

• Tran says:

The Blacklist is caught between a rock and a hard place on Thursday nights despite having two of its new drama series (The Slap and Allegiance) in serious disaster mode. No other network is going to stopped ABC’s Shonda Rhimes line-up until the end of the season except HTGAWM which will aired its finale on February 26th. Don’t know how good or bad American Crime is going to fare when it premieres on March 5th.

• Julie says:

Scandal has gotten so ridiculous I couldn’t even bring myself to watch last nights. I still love Greys but rarely ever watch live because I rarely sit down until 9. Blacklist is must see TV for me, like Scandal used to be. I haven’t watched Allegience but it seems like a rip off of the Americans which, at least in my opinion, is one of the best shows on television.

17. Beth says:

Maybe people (like me) are sick of the same old stuff on blacklist! all that hype and we didnt really learn ANYTHING new. I was annoyed for sure. I hate shows that drag everything out.

18. LynnH says:

I’m really enjoying Backstrom and am so hoping that Fox will stick with it. I find myself laughing out loud throughout the hour. The world needs quirky shows, too.

• HAP says:

It’s kinda funny. Last week, when Backstrom’s numbers tanked, there were tons of comments posted here very critical of the show.

• JPS says:

I am enjoying Backstrom. The critics, including Matt hate it. People seem to be taking to it and I’m glad to see it rising up a little in the ratings. All hope is not lost.

19. Jared says:

I lasted 35 minutes into The Slap before I shut it off. For whatever reason I just couldn’t get into it which is ashame because I love the whole cast.

20. drhenning says:

I watched The Slap last night but was somewhat distracted by a sports event on my computer and missed a lot of the setup… So I watched it again and I liked it much better when I could pay closer attention… Shows I already know and like I can multi-task but these new shows you have to pay closer attention. When it comes down to it, family shows whether they are rich characters like Parenthood or new ones like this are a tough sell these days on network TV… I think TransParent works on Amazon because you can get through the season quickly in a binge.. And it is a family show.. It’s also shorter..

21. kmw says:

Surprised that almost everything fell, and even more surprised that Backstrom went up, although I don’t think it went up enough to save it. The Blacklist will probably make some viewers up in the DVR. I am also surprised Greys didn’t do better, but maybe the sad story made people not want to watch. I just cannot believe Backstrom was the only one to rise last night

22. B says:

I watched The Vampire Diaries, Scandal, and How To Get Away With Murder! I knew moving The Blacklist to Thursday’s was a mistake! I love that series but when forced to chose between it or Scandal the choice is obvious!

23. Maryann says:

I am very sorry to hear that Allegiance is doing poorly. It is by far the best new show to debut this winter. And despite its similar tag line, it is nothing at all like The Americans. Everyone who has even the slightest interest should sample it and make their own decision. Current show on tv that it most reminds me of? Scorpion, because the lead characters have similar mentally superior talents. In fact I am really surprised that the publicists didn’t play this angle up far more. It is IMO the most enjoyable part of the show and a far better hook than the fact that his parents are (reluctant) Soviet spies.

• SJones says:

I agree. Allegiance is quite a show and is just starting to take off. Why shut it down now? The problem with the networks is that they do not give any show enough time to “bake”, They pull the plug before anyone knows that the show is on and is really good. I hope that the writers and producers sell it to another network. I think it is a great new show!

24. DavidSask says:

NBC deserves to tank on this night, what were they thinking? Blacklist needs to give some answers to mystery asap or more viewers will flee!

25. Amanda says:

My favorite shows are on my DVR in order: The Blacklist, Grimm, Castle, The Following, The Voice, 12 Monkey’s. These are on air right now, and the “slips” in ratings are temporary. I alos love The Originals,Stalker, and an all time favorite that never slips in my mind: Criminal Minds. I am looking forward to American Crime-and the return of Hannibal, Penny Dreadful,(great show!), The Strain, and several other that I start to forget about until they pop back up and hook me all over again.

26. Harry Wild says:

Go Backstrom! Love this detective series! I told a couple of detectives I know about it and they like it too.