Law & Order Vet S. Epatha Merkerson to Head Up NBC's Chicago Med

Chicago Med S. Epatha Merkerson

After years of playing a lieutenant, Law & Order alumna S. Epatha Merkerson is moving to the world of medicine.

The actress will star in the potential Chicago Fire spinoff Chicago Med, which will be introduced this season as an hour of the mothership series.

Per our sister site Deadline, Merkerson will appear in Episode 19 of Fire as Sharon Goodwin, the head of the hospital which serves as the setting for Med. Though she doesn’t love the politics that go into running the establishment and has little patience for foolishness, Sharon excels at keeping the doors open.

The casting reunites the actress with Law & Order and Chicago Fire executive producer Dick Wolf.

Merkerson was a member of the L&O cast for 16 years. Since leaving the series in 2010, she has appeared on The Good Wife, Deception and Drop Dead Diva.

1. Tori Coop says:

Now the Dickster needs to add Stephanie March to the cast and all will be well with the world.

2. David4 says:

This is a must watch now, I love her!

3. Lorie says:

Now I’ll have to watch it.

4. Tran says:

Really hope Chicago Med gets picked up a series for NBC and placed it in the 10 p.m. Thursday night time slot possibly a lead-in with Blacklist.

5. delfiteblu says:

So glad they’re doing it – I’ve been thinkiung about it ever since they had the big explosion at the hospital last year…..

6. bj says:

Definitely another reason to watch this one now.

7. Cobra says:

Interestingly, it takes place in the same fictional universe as Law & Order, since Chicago Fire and Chicago PD crossed over with SVU.

• neums says:

Yeah. Fortunately, I don’t think she crossed over with any of the SVU detectives when she was on the L&O mothership, so her playing two characters in Wolf’s ‘verse wouldn’t really be an issue. Hell, actors played different parts all over. Granted, they were guest roles. If anything, maybe they could say she was a relative of Van Buren’s.

• Jared Leight says:

She has shared scenes with Benson, Fin, and Stabler(Look on the crossover on Season 10 of L&O and the episode after) and Season 16 when SVU did a crossover with Fin and Benson talking to Van Buren. I’m glad to see her back on TV though!!

8. ojah miller says:

My name is ojah miller @ stacey dash is my real cousin I’d like to see her doing more movies music

9. Zed says:

Thoughts on NBC doing all three Chicago shows on one night, a la ABC’s Thursday night Shonda block? Too much at one time, or would it make the crossovers more palatable?

• Dys says:

IMO it’s probably best to spread them out, especially cause of the crossovers. There will already be some people that feel that it’s overkill to have three shows in the first place, even if they like them, but if they are all on during the same night, it may make things worse for those people. I myself am looking forward to Chicago Med if it ends up being picked up.

• cyclone says:

Well SVU and Chicago PD already rule Wednesday night together and Fire is on Tuesday night. If anything Med should pair with Fire on Tuesday, however if the crossovers were to happen they would need to appear on Fire first and then head over to Med, but I don’t see them moving Fire to the 9pm slot and having Med in the 10pm spot. Maybe next season they should move all the Chicago shows to Wednesday and move SVU back to Tuesday with Mysteries of Laura.

• hud says:

More death and misery. More sad retreads. More beautiful people giving each other the “look”. Crack the chest, hand me a rib spreader, you did everything you could. Bright, zippy comebacks. Yea, sounds like another winner from New Bright Creative.How about para-medics driving the mean city streets, bemoaning the fact they can’t find love. GEEZ. Have it take place in Neb. Utah, Montana, give us the beef…

• herman1959 says:

Too much! Remember, the shows on ABC all inhabit different universes (and cities).

10. Soon To Be A Fan says:

Don’t watch Chi PD or Chi Fire, but will watch this with S. Epatha. Along with Lenny, Lt. Anita was my other favorite on L&O. As someone said, bring in Stephanie March and Dick Wolf may have another winner.

11. valerie says:

Awesome!

12. Zoe says:

I’m so glad to see her getting work beyond the Coricidin HBP commercials.

13. Susan says:

I can’t wait to watch Chicago Med.

14. Larry C. says:

Add me to the list of those who would watch CHICAGO MED. Ms. Merkerson was always wonderful on LAW AND ORDER. However, the way her new character is described in the article, I fear she will just be Anita in a lab coat and not flashing a police badge. —- What’s next for Dick Wolf? CHICAGO TRASH COLLECTORS; CHICAGO CABBIES; CHICAGO TEACHERS; CHICAGO VENDORS????? I’m just saying…..