Sigmund and the Sea Monsters Reboot Gets Amazon Pilot Order

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters

Invest in foam rubber futures now, because Amazon Studios has inked a deal with Sid and Marty Krofft to “reimagine” their live-action 1970s kids show Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

“Sid and Marty are geniuses,” Amazon Studios VP Roy Price said in announcing the pilot order, “and we are honored to be working with them to bring to the world a return of what we believe is TV’s most fabulous and funniest sea creature ever.”

The Kroffts’ dominion over the Saturday morning TV airwaves/my young life began in 1969, with NBC’s H.R. Pufnstuf (and yes, Witchiepoo haunted me). The brothers followed that up in 1970 with The Bugaloos (meh, I wasn’t a fan), while Sigmund and Land of the Lost (remind me again how the Marshalls’ uncle landed the same place as their dad…?) made their debuts in 1974 and 1975, respectively.

The Kroffts’ later kid-centric efforts included Far Out Space Nuts, Lost Saucer and The Krofft Supershow, while their primetime contributions include The Donny and Marie Show, The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, Pink Lady and Jeff and Barbara Mandrell & the Mandrell Sisters.

Are you intrigued by the prospect of introducing your rugrats to trippy Sigmund and friends?

1. Mary says:

Never thought I’d see a remake of this. And I don’t remember the Marshall’s uncle in Land of the Lost. Think the Sleestacks saw to me forgetting that.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Narrative cheats galore. Rick the dad left after Season 2, so the kids’ Uncle Jack magically got time-transported to the same location for Season 3.

• BeaAnn44 says:

Well this takes me back! I did love those Saturday mornings. But yeah, I think Sleestacks still show up in my nightmares.

2. Robin says:

Showing my age but I absolutely adored this show! Several years ago I found an episode online and watched them. Land of the Lost, Sigmound and let’s not forget HR Puf ‘n Stuff!

3. auntiemm says:

Please no but I would be all in for a remake of Beany and Cecil.

4. Michelle says:

Showing my age, but my brother and I still lament the fact that our children didn’t get to watch Sid & Marty Kroft’s Saturday morning shows like we did. When my husband and I first met, one of the funniest late-night phone calls we ever had was about H.R. Puffenstuff

5. Johnny Styles says:

Well, here’s another sign of the apocalypse…

6. quincy says:

Venturing into classic waters people, Sid, Marty don’t do it! Air the originals of all shows mentioned, they are stellar.

7. ben says:

Personally I loved the Bugaloos Esp Martha Raye in all her drag queen glory as be benita bizarre. They don’t make trippy kid shoes like these anymore. Too bad mary Wickes is not around fir the Sigmund reboot

8. lemuress says:

No mention of Lidsville? Savages!

9. AnnieM says:

Eh, I’d rather see them try to redo Puffinstuf.

10. Sigmund was good, but I was really a Land of the Lost guy.

11. Debaser says:

Wait a minute…
    How can they be working with Sid and Marty? Are they collaborating with a dead man?

12. OMG If they mess this up they will forever scar me. Will Farrell and so many others have already tainted some of my most precious memories. Please, Amazon, be good to my aging noggin. For some reason, I can’t stop singing HR Pufnstuff now…

13. nan says:

My son who is 45….we’re just talking about these shows…we luvv them. ..sure wish they would have a come back…land of the lost was another favorite…when kids was growing up it was sky king…fury…cassie…rin tin tin…maw and pa kettle…sure would luvv to have them back on !