Ratings: Empire (Again), Mentalist and black-ish Rise; Idol and Chicago PD Slip

Empire Ratings

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before… butt… Fox’s Empire this Wednesday night again inched up — 5 percent and two tenths — to draw 12 million total viewers and a 4.8 demo rating (per finals).

That marks the already renewed freshman hit’s fifth straight week of audience growth, coming out of a strong launch.

If only because I am now sorta locked into it… chart!

EmpireRatings

Opening Fox’s night, American Idol (10.7 mil/2.8) was down 10 percent week-to-week.

Elsewhere….

CBS | The Mentalist (9.1 mil/1.4) rose two tenths, Criminal Minds (10 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth, while Stalker (7.6 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth.

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (6 mil/1.0) was flat, SVU (6.2 mil/1.4)  ticked up a tenth and Chicago P.D. (6.5 mil/1.4) slipped two tenths.

ABC | The Middle (7.9 mil/2.1), Modern Family (9.8 mil/3.3) and The Goldbergs (6.9 mil/2.2) each ticked down a tenth,, black-ish (6.9 mil/2.1) gained two tenths and Nashville (5.2 mil/1.4) rose a tenth.

THE CW | Arrow (2.7 mil/1.1) slipped 9 percent and a tenth, while The 100 (1.4 mil/0.5) was flat.

1. Cookie says:

Nobody can stop Empire.

2. sladewilson says:

Empire is a beast and if they keep this up, who knows where/when it will stop

• BeaAnn44 says:

I’m still trying to get more people I know to watch it. I need people to discuss the show with (and not just online!).

3. Tran says:

Can’t wait to see how Mentalist is going to end next week and Empire continues to be TV’s next big thing for Fox and Emmy worthy performances by Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson.

4. Grey says:

Thanks for the quick info. :-) It seems to be getting harder and harder these days for sites to just post the numbers. [Eye roll]. The “quick overnight” numbers have become the “slow, takes all freak’n day to appear” numbers. lol.

5. sarah j says:

Chicago PD was so good! I hope it does not continue to drop.

6. itsafysel says:

And that Empire’s reign just won’t let up!!!!slayy cookie.am such a fan of taraji,so happy for her
    Last night’s arrow was great.loved the canaries fighting scenes.plus I loved that the other team members stood up to oliver.

7. Joy Davidson says:

Go Stalker! So happy the ratings went up this week compared to last week’s low. I’m still hoping the ratings will be better next week.

• Tran says:

CBS didn’t promote Stalker as a “new hit drama” since its debut but with CSI: Cyber set to premiere in just 20 days taking over its time slot, don’t know when and if Stalker should be moving to a new night and time despite CBS’ grueling prime time schedule. Always dreamed of Elisabeth Rohm during her L&O days.

• Joy Davidson says:

I really do hope they move it to a new night and time. CBS had better keep their word and bring the show back. It deserves a second season and it’s the only awsome show on Wednesday nights. It would be a total injustice if CBS just up and cancelled it. I also would be simply devestated!

• Jen S. says:

Agreed! It’s doing better in total viewers than the competition in its time slot, but that’s not saying much. IMO, the show took too long to find its footing (and I’d argue it’s still only just getting there), but I’m rooting for it to get a second season and a chance to prove itself.

8. D says:

Empire is like a melodramatic cartoon that relies heavily on racial stereotypes extremely enjoyable to watch but I think it harms the image of African American people

• cmb2490 says:

No it does not harm the image of African Americans unless you are racist who already have preconceive notions. Empire is a success because it’s a very entertaining show of fiction. If people can’t differentiate a fictional show from real life, they don’t get around much.

• Edward says:

It’s easy to simply label them as racial stereotypes. I’m African American and the way they act is extremely realistic and palpable. It speaks volumes to their acting ability to be able to constantly immerse me and nearly 12 million people every week to tune in. People will always find some flaw to critique a show on so it’s best not to buy into the negativity. There’s plenty of other shows on circulation that are way more harmful and those mostly derive from reality tv.

• TigerLIL says:

I agree, with you Edward I got a sister who is a carbon copy of Cookie and just as nutty me I am very conservative, the polar opposite and bout as educated as Anika, so not everyone from the block acts like Cookie. Like Cookie character, I have seen my sister do some jaw dropping things and her antics are off the chain. People can’t believe we are related. Don’t tell me these people are simple stereotypes that’s not accurate. And D, help us out here don’t leave us hanging like that qualify your statement so that we can get your point and intelligently discuss your analysis with you. I mean you want stereotypes, Good Times comes to mind for me. I mean who would suggest that staying in an impoverished situation constitutes a “good time” for AA that’s what I call a stereotype saying that poverty of us is a good time and that’s a good time is all we can accomplish as a people, which is so untrue. Comedy or not I felt that image of a AA family was demeaning to our people and the actor who played the father character in the show felt the same way, that’s why he quit …JMO

• Yes, because people otherwise think so highly of us.

• Steven says:

It can be a bit cartoony and over dramatic with the swelling music each commercial break, but it is still an enjoyable show.

• Hannah says:

It’s a soap. Do you think white people in soap operas act like perfect citizens?

• Annie says:

Somehow I doubt that you have these same views regarding shows that have a majority white cast. I’m going to assume that with these shows you know the difference between reality and a fictional television show, and you don’t jump to the conclusion that the actions of the characters represent the actions of all white people. This makes me wonder why wouldn’t you have this same level of intelligence and logic when it comes to African American people and Empire.

• Roco says:

Really I’m African American and Its not damaging my image. I enjoy Empire and I love watching Nashville, an all white cast, so I guess Nashville is hurting the white community.

9. James says:

I want so badly for Stalker to get a second season. Love Maggie Q and Kevin Williamson is a fantastic writer.

10. Matt C. says:

Empire is a true phenomenon. Every episode gets better and better. I can’t imagine how high the numbers will go by the time the season finale airs.

11. kmw says:

Empire keeps on soaring, now I think they will go over a 5 for their finale. Idol, while down, is still doing well. Its good that The Mentalist is ticking up for their finale. The Chicago shows are not having a good week, both down. ABC shows did respectable, especially blackish.

12. kn1231 says:

I haven’t watched Empire yet because I’m juggling too many TV shows right now, but I can’t wait to binge watch season 1 this summer! It must be great if the ratings continue to rise this far into the season (its only 13 for the 1 season, right?)

13. Jenna says:

Empire is amazing! And all kinds of fun. After that reveal at the end, (and Raven Symone!) I expect the ratings to grow even more.
    I’m also liking Stalker now. If it doesn’t return, I hope they give it a good finale.

14. Ryan says:

This is what happens to Arrow when you prone it as a Canary episode…

15. Ben says:

Matt, you should use charts more often.

16. Samara says:

EMPIRE!!!!
    Real force of nature

17. Samara says:

p.s Loved that chart

18. Andi says:

The Flash writers could learn something from Empire; like how to use guest stars

19. Heather says:

Congrats mentalist. Good show will be missed.

20. jj says:

seeing empire do better and better makes me happy :) hopefully networks will take note and we will start seeing more diverse characters and storylines instead of the same tired concepts

21. TigerLIL says:

Loving empire oh what a mess! Tragedy to the Shakespeare degree

22. Gloria herbert says:

I look forward to seeing empire every week the actors are great .

23. edugator79 says:

The article asked, “What makes Empire such a hit?” A combination of all the above. I must admit, the week of 2/4/15 the episode seemed kind of boring. It’s just because I was so use to all the twist and turns, that I was slightly disappointed without all the unexpected excitement. However they did deliver the following week. This show is on the rise and will stay that way because it feels like an authentic experience for all the viewers. Instead of acting, they just seem like they are living and we get to watch. It’s almost like a reality show. Every last character seems like someone that really exist. It might not be a bad ideal to write Denzel in for an occasional appearance. A role that excites the views, and doesn’t adversely affect the other roles. Maybe Lucious’ long lost father (ex-con, now born again preacher). LOL. You know how celebrities like to show up in the church every blue moon. I don’t think Denzel has ever played a minister. I could be wrong. That would be a special episode. LOL

24. Theresa says:

Empire is great with all it main characters, my favorite is Lucio us and cookie they just click don’t kill him off just yet, maybe have him fly away to find a cure all to find out he was trick by his girlfriend father and her to gain his company

25. Joyce Harris says:

This part was for made for Taraji no one else could have played this character but her. As for Terrance this was definitely his part and Taraji felt that as well. We are all hooked on this show and the music seals the deal, Congrats to the entire cast.