American Idol Recap: Filet of Solo

Blood flowed like it was spilling forth from The Shining‘s elevator doors on Thursday night’s installment of American Idol — except there was no need to cover your eyes in horror.

The carnage, as it turns out, was mostly self-induced. “Big Ron” Wilson threw shade at band leader Rickey Minor like he’d bumped his head and woke up channeling Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls. That bespectacled chick with the purple hair garbled her words and then went the “America’s the one who lost out!” route after she got sent to the guillotine.

And Carlos Santana’s nephew — while clearly talented — got his come-uppance for bitchily declaring his “Free Fallin'” cover had somehow attained the peak of originality by not sounding like “another blonde girl from Nashville.” (Dude, why don’t you Google Janelle Arthur — and then show some respect for those who paved the way for your own Idol journey, mmmkay?)

But before you begin to wonder “Why’s this recap starting off so cantankerous?!” — FYI, #IWokeUpLikeThis — let me switch gears. The Final Solos round of Season 14 Hollywood Week actually gave the Idoloonie Nation more cause for celebration.

You like White Guys With Guitars? (Not that there’s anything wrong with it.) Season 14 has got ya covered. You dig soulful, fashion-forward fellas? Step up — because there are multiple options. There are also squeezable teen moppets, ethereal divas (with super sexy dads), country chicks, soul sisters and grown-ass men who make J.Lo re-enact facial expressions from The Boy Next Door. And I’m sure I’m missing at least a half-dozen other boxes into which the Season 14 hopefuls would prefer not to be contained.

Sure, the judges could ruin everything next week when they narrow the field from 48 down to 24 — as is often their speciality — but for now, optimism reigns in The House That Launched the Stars of Faking It and Scorpion. (Except for the part where Jess Lamb got cut SANS EXPLANATION!)

So on that note, let me cut straight to the chase and list the eight best things that happened on tonight’s installment of Idol (leaving plenty of room for you to disagree down in the comments):

10. Riley Bria’s “Somewhere in My Car”
9. Loren Lott’s “Skyfall”
8. Mark Andrew’s “Skinny Love”
7. Maddie Walker’s “Don’t Ya”
6. Tyanna Jones’ “Try”
5. Rayvon Owen’s “Try a Little Tenderness”
4. Clark Beckham’s “Try a Little Tenderness”
3. Jax’s “Let It Be”
2. Nick Fradiani’s “Babylon”
1. Quentin Alexander’s “Riptide”

Thanks to HTGAWM recap duty, I didn’t have time to give full performance reviews — I’ll do that on next Monday’s Reality Check. So until then, I pass the mic to you. What did you think of this Thursday’s Idol? Who were your faves? Who’d have gotten your “veto”? Sound off in the comments!

1. Christian says:

I’m so happy Jax redeemed herself.

2. Jake says:

Really? Loren at number nine? Granted she wasnt my favorite of the night but she still killed that song! Oh, and Jax for the win!

• Loren was at least in my top 3!!! :)

• Jill Moy says:

Jax for the Win! In your dreams! What was so good about her? Are people deaf…..and to send hrr through immediately….ABSURD!

• Jill Hi, I just posted something about that. That Jax got sent straight through! They are really trying to sell her to us. What did you think of Quentin? OMG He was super good and I love his crazy hair. Reminds me of Lenny Kravitz. And his voice is incredible! I will say it now. FRONTRUNNER! Quentin will be a frontrunner!

• Jill Moy says:

He was good….I agree. I am so tempted to see if my 4 went to top 24. Sure they will so I’ll wait!

• Jill, you always pick the top contestants that go through.Im sure all of yours made it. My favs made itbut then remember it will also get cut down to the top Ten? I think, or is it top 12, Then the live shows.

• Runner says:

I just wish the producers were’t so obvious with their favorites. It doesn’t always work in favor of the contestants.

• Smokey says:

Last year the Judges 3 wild card picks that were all shoved into the top 13 — 2 of the guys could not sing for sour apples and the one that finally went-out about 7th — very likeable personality held him in a while, but actually could not hardly carry a note in a live performance. It’s no wonder that Idol kept losing viewer share every week. Hopefully the Judges and producers have wised-up a little this year.

• Jill Moy says:

Yeah, Brianna Oakleywa robbed! She was the best last year! They picked Bria over her, who couldn’t sing worth crap!

3. Gailer says:

Where was Savion?
    I liked Riley, Tyvanna, Rayvon
    Daniel is too young

• Where was Savion? Where was Sarina Joi? Why couldn’t we hear Jess Lamb? Nothing from Adam(white boy with afro) Ezeglian? We have seen way too much from young Daniel. I am worried about seeing him too much. I am getting Tim Urban, Sanjaya, Kevin Covias feel. Not good.

• Mafs95 says:

I have a feeling the first four in the Idol Top 24 “Feeling Good” video are the ones TPTB are pimping the most this season… and they seem to be Clark, Loren, Daniel and JAX. At least that’s who they sound to me… while I love Clark and JAX and Loren just completely redeemed herself, I think Daniel is still not ready but they are pimping him SO much.

• Ann says:

Agreed. I think the judges need to cut Daniel. He’s not ready, but in two years or three years…after his puberty spurt, he could win it all…I just wish the judges realize that sending him to the top 24 now would be a huge mistake…like Sam Woolf last year who would have benefited from another one or two years of experience and growth.

• Tom22 says:

I can agree with all of that. Another year or two would be better. That said I think Daniel is really talented and actually far more self confident and outgoing than Sam Wolf (Sam was not nervous or anything but sort of too guarded for a live stage show). It would be a lot easier to look at him on stage at 17 or something .He even looks young for 15 I think. His musical maturity is pretty good though in my opinion. Basically I think Keith nailed it about him falling into this enormously naturally musical body.

• I know we all think Daniel is too young, but unlike Sam Wolf, Daniel always smiles and looks extremely comfortable in his own shoes, which Sam Wolf didnt. I dont know if I ever remember Sam Wolf looking comfortable on stage or EVER crack a smile. I have several favorites like Qaasim and Quentin and I think my favorite girl is Shannon. Anyway I think the judges like Daniel, especially j-lo. For such a small guy he has enough confidence to perform and show a sweet side to his personality. I think he will be fine. He seems to have great supportive parents and that helps. Poor Sam was left by his mother and raised by his grandpa so Im sure that effected him. Lovey James and Daniel are both from Portland. Me too, but havent heard much on local news about them yet. Probably they cant say anything until the live shows. I know the local news covered that Taylor John Williams (amish on the voice) LOL He was not my favorite.

• Runner says:

I totally agree, Ann. But I do think he has way more confidence than Sam Wolf. But still, it is time for him to go.

• Jaszy says:

Okay…first round of cuts…when you have somebody like DANIEL making it over ADAM LASHER, that’s where you have a problem. There was no way that Daniel did better than Adam, or at least did enough for the judges to keep him and not Adam.

• Ben says:

Don’t forget the one who finished off the top 24 feeling good… (I won’t name names since some people around here have been complaining it is a spoiler, even though it was on the show)

But actually, honestly, I think they have done a pretty good job of pimping a wide range of people this season.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Daniel reminds me a bit of Aaron Kelly from season 11.

• Jill Moy says:

Savion went thru yesterday!

• Runner says:

Too much Daniel, indeed. It is clear the producers are clear who they want… He’s too young. He would be so much more amazing in just 2 years. But he is like my new kitten – too adorable to look away…

• Lili says:

And Najah.

• lking says:

They are not cutting Daniel. They see him as the new Beiber.

• Jill Moy says:

Savion went thru yesterday!

• TD says:

Savion was there briefly. We didn’t see much of him, but he went through.

• Meme says:

Daniel will be something one day, but right now he is too young to compete on this show.

• Jill Moy says:

Daniel will never be anything….GET REAL!

• Jaszy says:

I actually agree with you, Jill. I, honestly, think Daniel sucks. Yes, he can carry a tune, but no was is he good enough to be getting so much praise. from the judges.

• Jaszy says:

I meant * no way* is he good enough

• MC says:

The producers are definitely pandering to the demographic (or at least the perceived demographic) of the show by focusing so much on Daniel. I would much rather see Tara Honda or Ellen Peterson (among others) in the top 24 instead of Daniel. This is AI, however, and they pull this type of thing every year.

4. kevstar says:

You are crazy if you didn’t score Loren’s Skyfall higher than 9th place. They showed a preview last night and it made me cry. One of the best performance I’d ever heard on that stage. That girls gonna go far.

5. Jobless says:

Maybe there were some bad patches that were edited around or something but I thought Shi Scott was fantastic on that Etta James song. This is coming from someone who was is no fan of anything she’s done up until tonight.

• Mafs95 says:

She wasn’t imitating nobody on that performance, that’s why it was my favourite from hers as well.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I thought she sounded like Amy Winehouse singing Etta James. That said, I have to agree it was her best performance so far. Still don’t care for her, though.

• Timmah says:

I liked it too, although I thought she sounded better on PYT.

• Tom22 says:

I feel like there is something really intriguing about her, which could go either way of course (suprises aren’t always good, but she’s so high strung that a true artist could somehow break out there). All and all though I think Michael and Melinda nailed it when they said she didn’t know herself yet. But it’s not that fun to watch well adjusted people being well adjusted on stage for me: at least not all of them. I kind of like people with a screw or two loose as long as they direct that wildness into their calling, in this case music.

• Jaszy says:

Something about Shi just draws me to her. She seems so mysterious. The fact that she doesn’t quite seem to know who she is might be cause for the intrigue. But I really like her.

6. Christian says:

I see lots of people thinking Michael is crazy for putting Loren at #9, but I kinda agree. Her tone is too high for my liking.

7. Um how is Jess Lamb eliminated without us even hearing her sing? She never soudned badly. I don’t get her elimination and Daniel Seavey and Shi Scott making it. That just doesn’t make sense to me. I saw that Hollywood Anderson also made it despite his tough time in Hollywood, ironically. There is still a lot of talent, Clark, Jax, Michael, Rayvon, Maddie and several others, but there are some head scratchers in there as well. I am excited to see what happens at House of Blues. I think it was a good call to have this round in there before live rounds.

• Christian says:

I guess the judges thought she was too “beaten down” to be in the show.

• Smokey says:

Some cuts are made behind the scenes for character casting or other reasons not shown in the edits for tv. ……..They have to come up with 12 boys and 12 girls for top 24 — representing a certain diversity in genre affiliation and other concerns……… It’s not all about the voice, and it’s not completely the Judges own opinions. ………The vocal coaches, stage producers and others behind the scenes are giving “recommendations” of who to put-through. …………The Judges are the major factor in how they access the talent this season, but are also considering feedback from other sources that are keeping tabs on social media and other inside opinions as to what will make a good ratings show. They have to have a top 24 “cast” and some good talent will get cut.

• Christian says:

Personally I would just love the top 24 most talented siners instead of the best of country and the best of pop and so on.

• Lemon says:

Hmm… Talented Sinner. That would be a great Country song. ;-)

• Timmah says:

Not me. I like the diversity of styles and genres. If the top 24 were all country, or all R&B, or whatever, I’d be bored to death, no matter how talented they were.

• darcy's evil twin says:

It’s like a musical Gilligan’s Island.

• LeahKittyS says:

Ha ha! That deserves another up-vote, my friend.

• Timmah says:

Hmmm, that’s got possibilities. So far I’ve got Daniel as Gilligan, J-Lo as Ginger, and Harry as The Professor.

• Tom22 says:

I need a diversity of genre’s and even looks up on the stage. It is a stage show too, I strongly prefer if they have big personalities and witty comebacks for the microphone and generally look attractive in their own ways. (usually for me that just means having a light in ones eyes and an intelligence and a outlook on the world as a place of possibilities etc: you see that self confident sunny look in the eyes of kids that had their acts together to get into good colleges but it applies to people who are good at achieving whatever they set out to do whether academics or music or both).
            I’m no huge country fan and I didn’t think he was too tremendous a singer (he did understand music and belonged on a national talent show) but it was a real pleasure to see Scotty McCreery on stage even if I never voted for him (too many good singers that season most particularly HR).

• LeahKittyS says:

Wow. You summed my thoughts even better than I could.

• Ginger Snap says:

The top 24 was cast weeks ago. Social media isn’t relevant – unless you think that they’re looking at unknown singers who need Idol’s exposure to increase their following.

Social media will gain relevance when the live rounds begin.

• Mytake says:

I really believe they didn’t show Jess Lambs performance because she was great. They wanted to get rid of her due to her age and she doesn’t fit the “gorgeous” mold they seem to demand from the females and they knew if they showed her singing beautifully they would highlight their unjustified biases and ageism by sending her home. Truly I’m so sick of AI desperately trying to find/create the next teeny bopper star that age and looks have pushed actual singing ability so far down the list it’s almost an afterthought.

• Yah where in the heck was Jess? I loved her. They are not even going to show her performance?

• Timmah says:

There were 48 who made it though this round and although I wasn’t counting, I’m pretty sure they showed nowhere near that many.

• But I thought Jess was one of the best. Hey do you notice that Adam Lasher is a little older, so is Jess Lamb. They seem to want really young contestants like last year. I believe Caleb was 23 and Jess Meuse was right around the same age as Caleb. They were the oldest contestants last year. But they managed to keep Nick who is 28 this year. I still dont get why they wouldnt show Jess’s performance.

• Mytake says:

Nick? Oh you mean Casper2. That would be the reason the old guy was put through even at his advanced age. I’m not saying he can’t sing, but so could the other “oldies”. Didn’t you see JLo’s hormones… I mean eyes light up with Nick?

• Jaszy says:

Jess Lamb was a beast! They made a huge mistake not letting her advance! She was one of the best in the competition! I say it was ageism that sealed her fate. She is not young enough. Her and Adam Lasher should have made it through! Worst decisions so far. Those stupid judges!

• Ginger Snap says:

Jess Lamb is 29.

We will soon learn that a female over the age of 22 has no chance to make the top 24.

8. sg54 says:

I loved Clark! I rarely have people that I’ve loved since day one, but he is turning into that guy. And his covers/original music on Youtube is incredible as well!

9. Christine says:

How did Michael Simeon not make the top 10 list??? – he sounded amazing and his delivery was so heartfelt – loved it! I did think there were a lot of really good performances tonight so I do agree with your list for the most part. I always enjoy reading your column!

10. Christian says:

Am I the only one that is absolutely pumped for the next round?

11. DAG says:

Darn Idol. I would have liked to hear Jess Lamb. I just can’t believe she self-destructed. What was it Idol? Met your quota of geriatric, whimsical artists?

12. Var says:

Whatever happened to Ellen Peterson the banjo player? I thought she would go a long way in the competition.

13. cc says:

Dont know the contestants by their names yet. Only know them by their faces. So when article says a performer by their name, I’m cofused. So dont know his name but thought the guy who wanted to show his diversity and played the piano instead of the guitar was the best.

14. kikiclark says:

Some great moments tonoght! I wished they had shown more of the singing and less of backgrounds though. Oh and I loved that Slezak gave us 2 extra “best things that happened tonight” on his list! Bonus!

15. Kaba says:

Lol I disagree with your ranking so hard, to each their own.
    Loren, Clark, Tyanna stood out tonight.
    Everyone else was…good but not any I’d put over these 3.
    It was a great night for AI

16. Mafs95 says:

There were so many good performances this week that honestly… it’s kinda difficult to say who was the best. Ok, maybe not for me. I loved, loved, loved, loved Clark. Super talented!!! He’s my boo for sure <3. Also, I think Lovey James deserved a honorable mention, her solo performance was quite amazing imho.

17. Ron says:

I am quite livid with Adam Lascher’s elimination. Okay, that’s not my favorite song and it wasn’t his best performance. But for him to get cut and for them to keep people like that Shi (Her? Egg? Plant?) chick and that tiny kid with a guitar who keeps awkwardly hitting on JLo over Adam?!?! I’m so upset.

• Lor says:

ITA , Wicked Games was my favorite performance from last week. The only one I watched multiple times.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I was surprised Adam Lascher was cut but I’m sure it had somethinf to do with his snotty comments about his originality.

• Mytake says:

Yah I hated that they got rid of Adam also. Then they kept bimbette Shi?? Wth drugs are those judges using.

• Probably X! Because everyone looks and sounds good lol

• Jill Moy says:

They’ve been drinking too much liquid X!

• Normal people that arent stars or judges could pick better contestants! Some of their choices are good, but Im getting the feeling they are against the older,(used up) as Jennifer says, contestants. Both Adam Lasher and Jess Lamb have been doing performances in bars and nightclubs for a while. Maybe the judges dont like that. They are picking the very youngest for the most part other than Nick who is 28. They acted like he was ancient talking to him about his age. Those judges should take a good look at their own age!!!!

• as says:

Agree. I think Adam was too old and too experienced a musician for Idol tastes. Wish he would have tried out for The Voice. that said, he should have made the cut.

• Mike C. says:

The cutting of Adam Lasher and then keeping that moppet Daniel just exemplifies what is still wrong with this show. Lasher got a terrible edit, and granted, his “Free Falling” was wan, but he still has it head and shoulders over some of these others. SMH

18. LeahKittyS says:

Nope, no disagreements here. Once again, you are spot-on. Maybe I would’ve ordered them a little differently, but I won’t be picky. If all ten of them don’t make the live shows, I am not gonna be happy. And watching the judges crack down on the cocky and the unprepared was also very enjoyable. I can’t wait for the part of the show where we get to download some covers by these guys.

• Ben says:

All ten of them? But… Sarina, Trevor, Qaasim, Shannon, Katherine…

(basically, I’m feeling like this season is going to have some really tough cuts at top 24, and everyone will have to be at their best that day. There are gonna be people who I look at and go ‘I wish they had gone further, but they just weren’t good enough on the day’).

• How would you rank them? I put Loren at number 1 in my opinion!!! :)

• Mafs95 says:

Tonight was really good, I was a bit sad it wasn’t a 2 hour show where we could also listen to Sarina, Savion, Adanna and Katherine (hello???? this girl is amazing and TPTB are putting her under the radar).

• Lemon says:

I really wanted to hear Katherine W. and Adanna.

• Meme says:

Endless commercials make it difficult to hear everyone. I really am annoyed to have this show interrupted to see a commercial advertising another show that comes on afterwards. Really? I’m sitting down to watch AI now. And … one of the ad lines is about “limited” commercial interruption for the show coming on next. Really? How about “limiting” the commercials for Idol, so we can actually enjoy some of it?!

19. Loren at 9? Please. I feel like we’re drifting into “hater” zone. That performance was brilliant, and I can’t see how it could possibly rank at 9.

20. lorie says:

They should make them all sing the same song, in their own style, and see who really stands out.

• Tahoe Mike says:

I keep saying they should have national anthem night because, post Idol, the only place we will ever see most of them again is before a NASCAR race or a hockey game.

21. Mafs95 says:

My personal rank (notice, all of the performances from 1 to 12 are AT LEAST grade B+):
    01) Clark Beckham
    12) Mark Andrew
    13) Shi Scott
    14) Daniel Seavey
    15) Trevor Douglas
    16) Joey Cook

22. Jason says:

Ok. Here is my ideal top 12.

1. Jax
    2. Sarina Joi Crowe
    3. Tyanna Jones
    4. Loren Lott
    5. Joey Cook
    6. Maddie Walker
    7. Rayvon Owen
    8. Trevor Douglas
    9. Nick Fradiani
    10. Mark Andrew
    11. Qaasim Middleton
    12. Quentin Alexander

23. BRING BACK THE HOMELESS GUY!!!!!!!! Please bring him back!!!!

24. I know Joey Cook wasn’t awesome tonight but last night she was GREAT even if she screwed up the lyrics. She’s getting totally undercreditied for her work – she’s actually very talented

• Puchinsmom says:

YES, daisies! I sooo agree. I really love her voice. I hope she settles down enough to keep on. I like a lot of tonight’s contestants, but there’s something about her voice and style that I find intriguing.
      I wish they had left out Big Ron and his stopping the band routine, and that whole taking off the coat deal. Then there would have been more time to SHOW A FEW MORE SOLOS! Crazy of us fans, but we watch for the singing. Right??
      Does anyone know if Savion made it into the top 48 for sure? I was hoping for them to tell us all the names..

25. danin says:

Too many talented people for me to name faves.Mark Alexander ought to do some Cat Stevens at some point. And though Loren did a very good job in 2nd half of her song,she comes across as too pagenty for me and I find her off putting.

26. WGWGexterminator says:

Big Ron could you please only open your mouth for singing?

27. Time to bring the polls so we can vote for our favorites performances! Still think you underrates Shi, and on this week kinda overrated Nick, Quentin and Jax performances just a bit.

28. Jill Moy says:

Big Ron was really crazy with his mouth…..HE HAD TO GO! I am so tired of this JAX pimping. Like.
    SELLARS last year. Jax is average. She was only one to go straight thru so far! I think you JAX lovers are deaf! A terrible singer goes by only one name??????? You have to earn that….ELVIS, CHER, BEYONCE….etc., etc.! It is ridiculous!

• Christian says:

I’m in love with Jax and I don’t think I’m deaf. I actually don’t think she is brig pimped at all. They really only showed 20 sec. of her Let it Be cover so…

• Timmah says:

We have seen Jax performing in every round of the competition, not to mention being the subject of a few “extras”. I don’t think you can say that about any of the other 47. I mean, I actually think she’s pretty talented, but there’s no denying she’s being pimped hard.

• Emma says:

I think we’ve seen something every round from Clark Beckham, Tyanna Jones, Daniel Seavey, Mark Andrew, Rayvon Owen, Joey Cook, Michael Simeon, and Shi Scott, and we’ve gotten various extra/personality-based segments on most of them too. Jax is being pushed pretty hard, but so are a bunch of other people, and most of them aren’t getting the kind of backlash that Jax seems to be getting.

• Jill Moy says:

Your opinions on JAX! Honestly, she has a weak voice and I’ve heard dozens of singers as good! She is a bore!

• Jill Moy says:

The girl who first played an accordian is terrible. She forgets her lyrics once than has another bad performance. Shi and her both sound drunk and should be performing at AA meetings. They woukd fit right in. These idiot judges will probably have them in top 24! Give us a break! Any as I’ve said in my other cimments, Jax is another overrated PIMPED singer who isn’t very good. Everyone thinks she so good she goes by one name, aka Elvis, Cher, etc. Even Haley Reinhart doesn’t get that distinction!

• Kaba says:

And the ever-so-irrelevant self proclaimed vocal genius Jill Moy is back to particularly hate the one person pimped each season.
      As expected, with a trend so stale why expect anything different. Can’t wait to determine who you hate on the Voice, it’ll be easy :)

• Jill Moy says:

I have toned it down a lot! So, stuff it! little do you know, I am a vocal genius. I would love to be in a singing contest with Jax (off)….ANY TIME ANY PLACE FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY!

• Jill Moy says:

In fact, If I had the flu and a sore throat I could out sing Jax! No contest. She can’t sing. It’s funny how anyone else can dislike singers, but when I don’t like someone, people get bent out of shape. Good GOD, I have an opinion! Be mellow….for crissakes!

• LeahKittyS says:

My God, they really let you back on here after the hate-filled extravaganza you gave us last year? Why do you always feel the need to be rude and condescending about the people you don’t like? If I talked the way you do, as regularly as you do, my mother would never have let me onto a computer ever again. And the typing in all capitals does not paint a good picture of you. Maybe I should lend you my copy of “A Smart Girl’s Guide to Manners.”

• Christian says:

Get you have an opinion, but you also call all her fans deaf and on drugs and it’s ridiculous. If you keep bashing Jax (who by the way is quite good) why don’t you just tell it to her face.

• JILL and Joan Crawford said,” Clean up this mess!” and then dumped comet all over the bathroom floor and yelled out “Scrub Cristina! Then later NO WIRE HAAAANNGGEEERRS! lol lol lol Here we go!

• JayNC says:

How do we turn you off?

29. Brandon says:

No polls this week?

30. Debbie says:

Is it just me? But as talented as Mark Andrews and Rayvon Owens are, I find them boring.

• darcy's evil twin says:

No. For some reason I have never cared for Rayvon. His vocals are great but he’s just not my cup of tea. I don’t want to use the word boring but I don’t envision Rayvon singing a lot of different genres when the time comes.

• Timmah says:

Yes, and I would add Riley Bria to that list.

• tanC says:

Agree about Rayvon – just can’t get excited about him, yet. I disagree a little about the different styles though @ darcy’s evil twin. To me he seems like just the type of trained singer who would adapt to different styles. Just nothing moving about him to me – at least not so far

31. Jay says:

What? Mark “no-sleep” Pudas and Tyanna (you only watched a freakin snippet) over Loren Lott? Puhlease! I don’t even like Loren Lott but she deserved a higher ranking than Mark at least during this round….

Anyway, the only time I liked Shi was during this episode.

32. esther says:

Clark, man! Damn that boy is good. So talented with both his voice, his musicality and charisma. Can’t wait to see more from him. I might be also biased because I love soulful music.

33. Nick says:

I don’t get it. Are the ones at the House of Blues part of the Top 48??? The top 24 are revealed when they do the WALK right?

34. rose says:

Big Ron…hmmm….not only will you not make it on Idol, forget any career…you disrespected a major figure in music on nat’l TV….Rickey Minor is as powerful as it gets in the industry!!! Bye to you

35. T says:

I am beyond disappointed that Adam Lasher was cut. He showed more talent in his piece than several people who made it through. I am at the point I don’t know if I will keep on watching as I don’t know who I would root for. I will see next week if I can find someone but I haven’t liked someone as much as Adam since David Cook (who will always be my #1 idol I am pretty sure).

36. syzygy10 says:

So far I think Clark and Jax are the ones to beat, but there’s a ton of real talent this year. Anything can happen.

• Lemon says:

Clark maybe. At best, Jax is a niche act. People compare her to Jena, but Jena had a much smoother tone. Jax’s tone is nasally/raspy…not everyone’s thing. It’s obvious that Pers loves her, but will a large percentage of the voters?

37. Karen olayinka says:

Satins joi is the bomb. I love her style she will make it to the top.

38. Angie_Overrated says:

I’m all about Tyanna, but there are some hugely talented contestants this year. I’m thrilled to see it after last year’s debacle.
    And what idiot ever denigrates another musician ON CAMERA who happens to be a well-respected member of the industry? That kid is as dumb as they come. NEVER speak poorly of other musicians, particularly the ones who matter!

39. Ash says:

Clark Beckham = Season 14 winner. Cute talented WGWG. Their can be no other.

40. Mac says:

To all the Jax haters in this thread:

It’s okay that you don’t like Jax for whatever reason. It’s you. We can’t make you like her. But why do you guys have to shame people who do happen to like her? It’s not like you’re so much “better” just because you’re “different” and you don’t like who a lot of people “hype”.

• JayNC says:

Yes, thank you. I hope you are reading this Jill Moya.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote! Why can’t everyone just let everyone else have their favorites? When I was younger, I read “A Smart Girl’s Guide to Manners” and it said when you go to a sports game, you should cheer for your team. No booing or jeering at the other guys. American Idol is just a competition like that, and I think we should show the same respect in forums like this.

41. darcy's evil twin says:

Did anyone else feel as though they were watching “The Walking Dead” last night? At some point someone (I think it was Keith) commented on how everyone was so exhausted and Jennifer snapped back they had to be able to deal with the pressure.
    Just about everyone looked so tired. And that guy with the ridiculous hipster knit hat, who is only marginally talented anyway, NEVER should have mentioned his three month old son.

42. donna says:

What happened to the hot black guy with the black leather pants and hat from the adam lambert episode? He was wonderful and got so much praise but then disappeared!

43. darcy's evil twin says:

I guess Jax will be the contestant everyone loves or hates. I don’t care for her but I understand why people like her. Go to YouTube and do a search for Marilyn Monroe singing Happy Birthday Mr. President. There’s Jax! Everything old is new again, I suppose.

• Puchinsmom says:

For those who think Jax has a “swelled head” because of her extensive airtime : When these contestants performed in Hollywood week (November? ), they don’t know what is going to be shown on tv in January and February. So until the older taped shows are over, consider them in the dark about “being pimped” or anything else. Like Jax, I do; Shi, I do NOT; or Daniel….he needs marinating, consider them wondering about their fates just like everyone else.

44. Lydia Pruett says:

Whatever happened to Jelly? They show glimpses of her hair, but she has had no screen time?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Jelly did get put through to the next round out of groups but we haven’t seen a solo yet. they didn’t show her group singing, either.

45. Jess says:

I can’t believe a 15 year old (with a terrible voice) was given a shot over Adam Lasher. Jax is such a great singer but she’s gotta stop with the gimmicks. Shi is worse and she needs to go. With Adam gone I think Nick Fradiani is at the time. I like a confidence -that is what grabs my attention probably just as much as talent.

46. Barbara Owens says:

this show might as well air only on BET , and have all blacks and hispanics…make sure you scream and yell off key…that is what these judges like….no good looking, awesome voiced whites need apply..you won’t get in

• darcy's evil twin says:

Barbara – what program are you watching, exactly? Did you miss Maddie Walker, Jax, Matthew, Joey, and Clark Beckham, just to name a few? It would be bad enough if your comment was merely offensive but it’s not even close to accurate!

• Jules says:

Racist much there Barb?? If world only rewarded “awesome, good looking whites” you’d probably be SOL right along with the “blacks and hispanics”. Idiot.

47. Barbara Owens says:

AI is going downhill, not due to lack of talent by the contestants, by lack of brains for the judges…they have sent home almost all the really good contestants, and are keeping the screamers, who scream off key…painful to hear

• JayNC says:

Barbara have you checked your TV? Maybe there is something wrong with the sound and picture quality.
      I am actually quite excited about the talent this year. It seems like the judges are truly trying to get people who might achieve something,instead of just choosing a cast of characters for entertainment value.

48. darcy's evil twin says:

My favorites from last night are Clark, Riley, Tyanna, Nick, and Quentin. Quentin was a nice surprise!
    Nick surprised me a bit as well and if he were female he wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in H-E-double toothpicks of advancing. Idol should lower the upper age limit to 25 and be done with it.
    I think Mr. Slezak is pretty close with Loren Lott’s ranking. She needs more work on transitions and she didn’t have a lot of authentic emotion going on – perhaps because the lyrics to Skyfall are pretty insipid.

49. Kat says:

really like Emily Brooke

50. ced80112 says:

Please, who was the hauntingly beautiful female recording artist singing in the background as Katherine Skinner was walking off stage after being rejected on February 12th? Thanks!