60 Minutes' Bob Simon Dead at 73

Bob Simon Dead 60 Minutes

60 Minutes correspondent Bob Simon died Wednesday evening in a car accident in New York.

The CBS newsman was riding in a livery cab that struck another car and then crashed into a median on the West Side Highway, his network confirmed.

Simon, the recipient of multiple Emmy awards — including a Lifetime Achievement Emmy — joined the Eye Network’s news division in 1967. He began regularly contributing to the Sunday-night newsmagazine in 1996.

An accomplished foreign journalist, Simon’s overseas assignments often involved real danger. At the beginning of the Gulf War in 1991, he and his team were captured and held for 40 days by Iraqi forces.

He also was a correspondent for 60 Minutes II; when that series wrapped in 2005, he worked full-time on 60 Minutes. Simon’s most recent piece for the series was a feature on the Academy Award-nominated film Selma.

Simon is survived by his wife, Françoise, and his daughter, Tanya, who is a 60 Minutes producer.

1. Rachie says:

How crazy is it to live through being captured by Iraqi forces & held captive for 40 days in a foreign country only then to tragically die in car accident on home soil. The same with Chris Kyle, he serviced all those tours as a sniper only to due tragically & senselessly here in the US. RiP Bob, Kyle, & Chad. ♡

2. Glen Williams says:

Very sorry to hear this.

3. aurat22 says:

My sympathies to his family, friends, and colleagues!

4. Karen Rossmo says:

To Bob’s family I am very sorry for your loss. I remember seeing your husband and father on 60 minutes .. He was a wonderful correspondent… Karen in Kelowna

5. Great journalist who will definitely be missed. You could always trust his reporting. My sympathy to his family and friends,

6. Lois Pawlan says:

Terrible! Terrible!

7. LOIS CAMPBELL says:

I am so very sad at the tragic loss of a great journalist and a seemingly really nice man. My heart goes out to his family! He will be missed on 60 Minutes for sure!

8. rhughsirius says:

Bob Simon (1941-2015): His cranky reporting style will be missed…by some.

• LAOP says:

You must be bitter and cold. I dare you would say thpublicly and not behind that dumb avatar.

• rhughsirius says:

Sorry, LAP-Boy, but in a world of cranky people I’ve met my share. Simon regularly let his cranky attitude about life enter into his stories, but then you wouldn’t know that being 12 years old. I like the avatar, but will come out from behind it to slap you upside the head any day.

9. Dee Segall says:

My deepest sympathies to his family and associates at CBS and all his friends all over the world. He was much to young to leave all of us now.

10. Cheryl Simpson says:

Will miss him on 60 minutes R.I.P.

11. montanawoman57 says:

I am so sad to hear this news, Our world has lost a wonderful man and excellent newsman. I pray for peace to surround his family and friends and hold them close as they mourn their loss. Rest in Peace, Mr. Simon

12. Kevin Dollar says:

Brian Williams from NBC was in the other vehicle. He survived the crash.

• Donna says:

Really? The man is killed and you have to be an ass.
      Condolences to his family and friends.
      “What a reporter’s life can be…To remind us what the human spirit can be.” – Charlie Rose on Bob Simon

13. Pat says:

I was so sorry to have heard this. Bob was a very classy man and will be missed on 60 Minutes. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and May He Rest In Peace.

14. Will Jones says:

Boston Brakes. Simon dies a holy and righteous true Jew and true American, martyred for having stood up to False Zion in service to God in Truth and Justice.

15. Carol says:

Rest in peace. You earned your heavenly rewards.

16. Timot says:

Bob Simon was a great reporter! He was everywhere from Vietnam, to Iraq, where he was captured during the first Gulf war. He was spot on durning his time on 60 minutes as well. He will be miss!

17. Richard F Watson Jr US Army retired says:

What a world we live in. 1992 I was hit by a drunk driver at Ft Bragg NC after coming home and retiring after 22 years service. I experienced death dying and War. In the Blink of a eye your life can change. I would like to say RIP Bob Simon. You were a soldiers reporter sharing and getting the real news story. 60 Minutes tonight was a nice tribute to you. Soldiers near and far respect you for your timely reporting where the rubber meets the road.