The Mindy Project Recap: Father Knows Last (AKA the Big Reveal)

The Mindy Project Season 3 Recap

Oh yes, Mindy Project fans, it’s on.

Following the bombshell that ended last week’s episode — Mindy is pregnant! — our histrionic heroine spends this week’s installment trying to tell Danny he’s her baby daddy.

But when Dr. Castellano finally finds out, the news comes from an unexpected source. Grab some ice cream and pickles, and read on for how it all shakes out.

RELATED Mindy Project Post Mortem: Star Mindy Kaling Reveals How That Big Twist Came About, What’s Next for Drs. L & C

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO MANHATTAN? | When 30 (!) pregnancy tests turn out positive, Mindy can’t ignore the fact that she’s got a Castellano in her slow cooker. But how best to tell the father-to-be, a “Justice Scalia-level Catholic” who jokes about not wanting kids until he’s a senior citizen?

Several attempts via video chat don’t work, so Min decides to jet back to New York for a romantic weekend in the woods with her man. Upon arrival, though, she’s surprised to find Danny’s dad, Alan, and his half-sister, Little Danny, in the apartment.

Little Danny is not the soccer-loving, obedient kid she was when we met her last season (see also: goth-lite wardrobe, slapping of school officials), and Alan starts the visit by asking Danny — aka one of the sons he abandoned 30 years before — for parenting advice.

To my extreme surprise, Danny actually seems flattered and happily volunteers a few tips he gleaned from Growing Pains during Richie’s childhood. (Side note: This ep is great, but it would’ve been even greater with Max Minghella’s Richie on board, no?)

Mindy and Danny cancel their getaway so he can deal with the situation at hand, and when she relays that news to Annette, Ma Castellano invites all of them over for dinner. Still, Danny thinks this is a “family” matter that Mindy doesn’t need to be involved in, and the exclusion smarts.

RELATED The Mindy Project Pages Laverne Cox for Season 3 Guest Role

The Mindy Project Season 3 RecapSUCK IT UP, LITTLE DANNY | Time for a buck-up call from Peter (!), who’s eating his weight in red meat in Texas in between bouts of stalking Lauren and her kid. (Side note: Why is he stalking? Didn’t she seem generally agreeable to his moving there in the last episode?) Peter urges his pal to insinuate herself into the Castellanos’ drama: After all, who’s more family than the woman carrying Danny’s baby? So she takes his advice and winds up at Ma’s table in Queens.

The evening goes well enough — Annette sports a platinum wig (because, in her happiness with Dr. Ledreau, “My hair turned blonde, like a princess”), Dot harbors a grudge against Alan that rival’s Annette’s, etc. — until Mindy realizes that Danny is faking her emotional problems.

“Your little sister has learned the age-old tactic of acting like a psycho until she gets what she wants,” Mindy cries. “I know that, because I invented that!”

RELATED TVLine Items: Kris Jenner to Appear on The Mindy Project

MA PUTS IT TOGETHER | But Danny reiterates that it’s a Castellano thing, so an unhappy Mindy leaves. Back at the dinner table, Annette is incensed to learn that her deadbeat ex is once again abandoning his family — and that her numbskull son is enabling him — and she runs after Mindy to tell her she’s proud of the (violent) way she dealt with Danny. But while the women are outside, Annette realizes that Mindy’s really warm… and she didn’t have any wine at dinner… and happily deduces that she’s going to be a grandmother! (Side note: I love that the show went with super-Catholic Annette being pleased, rather than upset, about this development.)

Ma runs back inside and tells Danny the news (A+ for your reaction face, Chris Messina), so Dr. C searches everywhere for his girlfriend before finding her at the hospital doctors’ lounge, passed out in a pile of vending-machine apple-pie wrappers.

While it’s no airplane galley hook-up, the hug he gives her is damn near close. And when he says, “We’re a family” with his palm splayed over her belly, I. Am. Done.

What did you think of the episode? Got a favorite line I didn’t mention? Sound off in the comments!

1. Kaylee says:

Love. Just love. Couldn’t have been more perfect.

2. Mary Kate says:

Seriously this show is just what I need to watch after a long day! The use of XO by Beyoncé was so perfect too!

3. Annie says:

The last scene had me grinning with a hand to my heart like a fool. I’m so happy Annette is excited about it!

4. LemonLime says:

I don’t watch The Mindy Project, but dang it, Kim Roots. I’m gonna go see this episode. It sounds like a good one!

5. mary says:

I know this is probably going to be unpopular but I didn’t love it. I missed the B plot and frankly any episode with Annette and I just don’t love it.

I need Mindy to put Danny in his place, he is constantly disrespecting her place in their life. The acting was great and I love how they are not threatening to break them up but she has earned being beyond pissed and he needs to work for her trust again.

Plus I am DONE with Ma.

6. Kvivik says:

OMG!!! The pie wrappers was an amazingly hilarious touch.
    Ultra awesome!

7. S. says:

Grandma Annette. Oh I can’t wait. Dot, Tamra, and Morgan around the baby. You know Morgan’s gonna wanna babysit. The look on my face just thinking about the same is as Danny had on his face when he found out about his Castellano-to-be.

8. Ally Oop says:

I havent watched this show since the pilot episode but Ive kept up reading the recaps on tvline. After this recap, I now really want to watch it.

9. Samara says:

The last scene was just lovely

10. tatiana Torres says:

It was EVERYTHING. God it’s really dusty in here 😭😭😭😭😭

11. Jason says:

I thought Danny was a complete douche bag throughout the episode. Mindy deserves better than this.

• Chester says:

Yes, but I thought his douchebaggery was inconsistent with his character and done for the sake of plot. He just bought her a house after all.

• Kristen says:

I completely and totally agree. He doesn’t ever treat her with respect or like an equal until he’s forced to, considering her feelings has never one been his first reaction.

12. I.R.E. says:

Where’s Beth Grant? Rhea Perlman and Jenny O’Hara are both in this episode and they are now both acting like Beth Grant!

Yeah Adam Pally and Damon Wayans Jr. helped both fox Tuesday night comedies to gain more good criticism, but did not help increase more ratings at all.

I still hope to see the return of Zoe Jarman ASAP this season!

Should Mindy and Danny get married first since she’s pregnant?

13. Sandy says:

Why did no one mention how delicious it was to have “Carla and Nick Tortelli” from Cheers back as ex spouses again??? It was awesome!!!

14. Betsym says:

Mindy’s and Peter’s conversation was my fave part of the ep (and yes, I LOVE Dr. C). The comment comparing family to HPV? PRICELESS!!!

• Mary says:

Peter and Mindy was amazing, God I love that relationship.

I also loved learning more about mindy’s family and past.

Trying to be more positive about it, found it better on second viewing but I still need mindy to kick Danny’s ass and for him to majorly step up.

15. gdv says:

I agree with some of the other comments. As much as I love Rhea Perlman, I prefer Danny’s family stuff as B plotlines, not the central conflict. Hopefully with the baby it doesn’t become “Dinner at the Castellanos” every single episode. I’d prefer to see Mindy dealing with pregnancy in the office (what if the Midwives brothers from the clinic upstairs tried to convince her to let them deliver? That would be a good ep). Also, I miss Peter!! Is he gone completely and this was just a one-off wrap up, or is he staying on?

16. Tinka says:

Ma lives on Staten Island, not in Queens!!!

17. Cat says:

Fact Check! Annette is from Staten Island and lives in Staten Island not Queens.