General Hospital Casts AMC Fave Rebecca Budig in 'Spitfire' Role

Rebecca Budig General Hospital

Two-time Daytime Emmy nominee Rebecca Budig is making tracks for Port Charles.

As part of General Hospital‘s Fan February promotion, executive producer Frank Valentini and headwriter Ron Carlivati announced on Twitter Tuesday that the All My Children and Guiding Light alumna will be joining the ABC serial in a role alternately described as “killer” and “a real spitfire.”

Budig in turn shared her excitement about the new gig via Twitter:

In addition to her runs as GL‘s Michelle and AMC‘s Greenlee, Budig’s TV credits include appearances on CSI, How I Met Your Mother, Castle and Blue Bloods.

Budig’s first GH episode will air in March.

Which storyline (and or romance) do you think GH will thrust Budig into?

1. Tran says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER. Great to see Rebeeca Budig back in the ABC Daytime family.

• Tracy says:

Since RC/FV took over we have seen many new characters come in and basically take over the show! Ava, Nina, Britt, Sabrina, Franco and Julian are the ones who have sucked up the most airtime and it wasn’t necessary! Nor did it make GH a better show! If you want to see more of the vets and more storylines where the cast interacts, where we see relationships and storylines build then PLEASE write to GH and tell them to stop with all these expensive hires who hijack the show! If RC can’t write for existing characters he should be replaced with someone who can! RC and FV are ruining GH and hiring Rebecca Budig is a bad decision!

• Luke says:

Sorry I think you are in the minority here. If it weren’t for RC and FV GH wouldn’t even still be on the air. I have watched GH for almost 30 years and think their writing is the best since the mid to late 90s. Storylines are interesting and complex, and there is more than 1 or 2 happening at a time. They have also assembled some of the very best talent in daytime on one show, and I am loving every minute of it.

Go ahead though write your letters. Maybe if ABC actually gets enough of them they will cancel GH after all. Or you could take the good with the bad and realize that these writers are doing their very best, and it is keeping GH alive. Will you like every storyline? Probably not. They can’t please everyone all the time… But they do certainly try unlike the team we used to have that almost killed GH and is now slowly killing Y & R.

• Zenobia Jackson says:

I completely disagree. GH is in a horrible state right now. Too many new characters, too many unresolved story lines, and destruction of legacy characters and story lines. etc. The Sonny/AJ murder story took forever to close (with an unbelievable conclusion), the Nina story line was a huge fail, the Patrick/Sabrina/Robin arc was over a year build up with an unsatisfying (aka RC/FV are bored) conclusion, the Fluke plot is a disaster that has gone on for a year longer than it should have, and the addition of the three actors from OLTL choked the show creatively. Plots have more holes than swiss cheese and the show is over the top campy with cringe-worthy writing and performances.

Michael Easton and Roger Howarth are sleeping their way through the show while Maura West and Michelle Stafford think that chewing scenery is acting. Tony Geary has never been a great actor but he is laughable now. Characters have been written into corners and are seemingly beyond redemption…that is until RC either rewrites history or crafts implausible salvation (Sonny, Franco, Nina, Ava, Julian)

The show is more like a parody of itself than a once good soap.

• donholley77 says:

Yeah, that’s why the ratings are the highest they’ve been in 3yrs.! Horrible show. Terrible shape! Not to me & A Lot of other fans!

• Anthony Geary has always been a terrific actor! Gee how many Emmy’s does he have, I’ve lost count! He has always been my favorite. I do agree that the Fluke/Luke storyline has been going on way too long and they need to wrap it up.

• Carolyn says:

What? I feel the exact opposite about everything you have said. I think your view is a minority view. I don’t know anyone that thinks the way you do.

• donholley77 says:

I disagree with everything YOU said! If you read ALL the comments they’re about 50/50. That’s not a minority!

• Donna Millar says:

I think they have to go back to basics Bring the rsteve Burton back as the real Jason and they could go with the story line that he was brainwashed to think he is the real Jason

• donholley77 says:

I’ve watched #GH since Laura & Scotty, & couldn’t agree with you more! The new characters have blended nicely with the existing ones! If FV & RC have added someone of Ms. Budig’s caliber, it’s to add to the thrill ride that GH has become, not slow it down! Can any fan honestly say that Julian, Ava, & Nina, haven’t added to the show! P.S. Y&R is getting better!

• Zenobia Jackson says:

I don’t where you are getting that GH is experiencing ratings highs when its rating are actually in the decline. For the past 4 years GH has teetered between 2.1 and 2.2 with 2.8-3 million total viewers. Its January ratings hit an all time low and DAYS is the only soap doing worse, Bringing in the big guns/big money actors: Michael Easton, Roger Howarth, Kristen Alderson and later..Billy Miller and Michelle Stafford have not brought the ratings that ABC thought they would. In addition to the ratings…it hasn’t done well in daytime Emmys in years. The show is at a creative low.

• donholley77 says:

Let me clarify. When the current regime took over 3yrs. Ago, the ratings were @ 2.0, or 1.9. They went up to a two year high in 2013. They have flucuated, but even with all the bitching, sit currently @ 2.3 overall. That’s better than they were! They have been 2nd or 3rd in key demos. The Emmy’s? GH won in 2012, for killing off little Jake! That was a “creative low”! The ratings were worse than they are now! ‘Santa Barabra’ & ‘Ryan’s Hope won a truckload of Emmy’s in the 80’s! Where are they now?! ” Guiding Light won the emmy 2yrs. Before it was canceled. Emmy’s don’t ensure creative or rating success! Y&R won the Emmy’s for best drama & writing last year. They now have a new EP & HW, in former GH honcho, Chuck Pratt. GH pisses some people off, because it takes creative chances. ‘Days’ hasn’t lately; and hired new writers this week. GH could always be better, but it’s not as bad, as some say.Look @ the comments here.They’re about 50/50 pro/Con. TY for your time.

• Shara says:

I soooo agree with everything you said. You are 100% correct!

• Wendy says:

Totally agree!!!!!!! Thanks to RON AND FRANK !! GH has a brand new life !!!! We fans are most grateful !!!

• Wendy says:

Also sorry to break it to all you critics !!!! GH HAS NEVER BEEN BETTER OR HOTTER !!!!!!! If ratings were as bad as U say , GH would have been cancelled !! GH IS RIDING HIGH !! So all u those haters , keep your negativity to youself !!!

• donholley77 says:

AMEN!! I’ve seen this negativity, since it was #1 ratings in the 80’s!They must be doing SOMETHING right!!

• Sharon says:

You have said this so very well! It is so tiring of hearing soap fans complain about any soap. At this point, we are lucky to still have what we have. General Hospital has been great, very exciting and well conceived. Some people just like to complain about everything. Not good.

• Julie says:

I agree with you, i have also been watching GH for like 34 yrs and i think the writers are doing a great job!

• Wilda Kerney says:

I don’t agree; the show originally was about the Quartermain’s; Webbe’rs; and the Spencer’s. Since then; Q’s have passed on in real life; Monica is barely on; but there is Tracey. As far as the Webber’s go; there is only Elizabeth and maybe once a year her sister will show up. The Spencer’s is only Luke and now Bobbie who was off the canvas for a long time. Sonny and his band of bad boys and the Cassadine’s. Of course we have the Scorpio’s of which only Maxie gets screen time; All of the favorites from back in the 70’s & 80’s are no longer there. They had to bring in new blood; and they have been very successful in giving us believable back stories. When your cast is aging to the point of dying in real life; you make changes and adapt. I love what they are doing!!!!

2. Robert says:

Lol, let the complaints that the cast is getting to big and the new hire is going to squeeze out characters that are already there and do not get enough screen time, begin! Welcome Rebecca , I know you will bring your A game.

• wrstlgirl says:

I can think of 4, possibly 5 that will likely be gone by months end so they are thinning the herd. I just hate seeing them bring in great talent and then under utilize them.

• Nellie says:

Soaps are totally different these days, and people need to recognize that. Names come and go, casts are larger, actors arent getting paid nearly as much as they were in their heyday. I do think its a shame that casts are so large and great actors arent being used, but what can you do?
      Lovvvve Rebecca. I imagine she’s going to be involved with Jason and Sam, she seems like she would fit in well there.
      Kill off Sonny for good and then I won’t care how many people are in the cast, I’ll be so happy that I wouldn’t care! Cannot stand Sonny or any of that mob stuff!

• Tracy says:

• Mary says:

I disagree, I love the new characters and they have all interacted with the staples of GH.
        I love Rebecca in AMC so hopefully they will write a juicy character for her. I for one love how RC and FV have written for the show. I like the fact that for 5 days a week it isn’t a Sonny and Jason show, with everyone else popping in. Since they have taken over they have shown the great acting of many of the talented women on that show. Tracy, Alexis, etc. I will say there are a couple story lines I could of done without, Fluke for one, but as a whole I think the show is great. If you really don’t enjoy it you could always turn the channel.

• donholley77 says:

Absolutely agree w/everything you said-Except The Fluke storyline has me on the edge of my seat!! But your main point is right on! The newer characters aren’t replacing our faves- they’re interacting WITH them! Where would Alexis be without Julian?

• Mary says:

The Fluke story was good in the beginning, I think it just dragged on way to long and to be honest I don’t like where it is leading to now. I am hoping there is another twist but I want it completely solved.

• donholley77 says:

I’ve got an idea where the Fluke story is headed. It has to do with whatever happened to Luke’s sister, Pat.

3. wrstlgirl says:

The last thing GH needs is more newbies but I did read recently that they are cleaning house during February sweeps so hopefully this isn’t just another wasted opportunity.

4. LOVE LOVE gaining Rebecca, not so much for a new character. Her talent as a spitfire and killer character should be used bringing back a brainwashed Emily as part of Helena’s plan and getting NIkolas under her thumb. Rebecca’s chemistry with Tyler, Billy, and Rebecca would be AWESOME!!! Another option would be recasting Brenda, or Robin with her!

5. Amie says:

Who thinks she’ll be another love interest for Sonny? He’s down to maybe one at this point, so he’s low.

6. disonba3 says:

She is too old to play Kiki, but a new feme fatale, she would be a ball of fire!

7. Matty says:

I have a gut feeling this role is going to be a recast for Brenda. Anybody else thinking along those lines? Or maybe she is a recast of the Serena Baldwin role?

8. Shelly says:

Hook her up with Prince Nic!!! Someone who will go toe-to-toe with Helena!

9. ccsore says:

I am glad she will be a part of the cast. I was hoping a recast as there are some great characters that we could use. However, the cast is pretty big so there will need to be some thinning. I hope it isn’t Brenda though…I’m fine that she is gone. I could see Robin, although that does seem to irritate some viewers. As a RB fan (also a KMc fan) I think someone like RB could pull off Robin. I’d love Emma to have her mom back.

10. Christine Shaw says:

Love Rebecca!!! So thrilled she is coming to GH!!

11. Susannah says:

I never watched OLTL, ATWT, Y&R or AMC, for me these new actors are just displacing the GH cast that I’ve grown to love over the years. Less time for GH vets and more time for actors from shows that were cancelled, it’s depressing news for me.

12. cc says:

Huge, Gigantic, can’t express how much a dissapointment this is. GH kept us viewers hoping the person to be cast, was someone familiar to GH family. Just another actor from another soap taking away the storyline spotlight. This is just as just a convoluted choice as the FLUKE mess!

13. ChrisGa says:

Robin really needs to be on the canvas what with all that’s going in the Jason/Sam/Patrick orbit and since Kimberly McCullough refuses to come back full time RB would be an ideal recast.

14. Tracy says:

I am furious that GH hired Rebecca Budig! I liked her as Greenlee on AMC but the GH cast is HUGE and they don’t need another newbie coming in and sucking up all the airtime! Plus, budgets at GH are tight and Rebecca Budig won’t come cheap! I’d rather see more of the cast interacting together and more adventures than see Budig! I will be fast forwarding through her scenes!

15. Tracy says:

Hiring Rebecca Budig means we’ll probably see even less of Rebecca Herbst! Why does GH hate her?

16. Tracy says:

17. Sandra says:

She’s good. Will be a great addition if the character is interesting. Serena?

18. aph1976 says:

I’m with this news and that GH hired a veteran.

19. Mandie says:

I stopped watching the show and I am convinced that GH knows that and that they are doing everything in their power to woo me back. First, actors from GH are popping up on other shows I watch, then came the news that Grayson McCouch has joined the show, and now this. Evil geniuses, they are. Also, I remember thinking last year in a fleeting thought about how sweet it would be if Rebecca Budig joined GH so I’m pretty sure they can read my mind as well. Well played, GH, well played.

20. Robin Baker says:

I would have her be the ex-wife of Nathan West.

21. Mary says:

Rebecca is probably going to be like another “Ava” which will be great. I enjoyed Rebecca on AMC.

22. Tom Hunter says:

Since the role is referred to as “killer” and “spitfire”, it can’t possible be Emily. Emily was a bore to watch. So scratch that. A recast Robin?? We don’t need Robin at all.

A recast Serena Baldwin? I would totally accept that, although she may be just a few years old to be Serena.

23. Joe Petitjean says:

Nina not so dead daughter can you imagine the possibilities they are endless !!

24. JamandaFan says:

Love her! Love GH! Can’t wait!! And for those that think GH is being ruined by too many new characters–just remember these guys brought back some amazing characters and gave them story lines: Anna, Duke, Scotty, Heather, Lucy, Kevin, Felicia, AJ–they’re even using Monica and Bobby! So stop complaining!

25. EM says:

Good news. I might start watching GH again.

26. Wendelyn Sullivan says:

Maybe they will bring Her on For Sonny. Give Carly some competition.

27. E says:

I feel she would be best paired with
    Patrick. I think they would be great
    together.

28. Susan says:

Does anyone think the role of Ava Jerome is being recast? The actress who played Ava wanted to leave.

29. gale donner says:

I can see her as the new Robin!

30. Linda Theresa Price says:

She handled Erica Kane!!!!!

31. Linda Theresa Price says:

She handeled Erica Kane!!!!!!

32. liz says:

Wait a minute….. the head writer didn’t he write for a cancelled “one life to live”.And you guys think that GH is better under him.

• donholley77 says:

Network mismanagement, not the Headwriter, got OLTL canceled. Despite all the bitching from fans like you, GH has solid ratings, wasn’t supposed to make it to it’s 50th anniversary, is headed to it’s 52nd, so yeah, I’d say it’s better! Maybe the writer who you blame for OLTL cancelation, saved GH from the same fate. Maybe that bothers you. I don’t know.

33. Julie says:

I think she is going to come between Nathin and Maxie, yesterday Nathin admitted to once having ” the love of his life ” that didn’t work out.
    I bet that will be Rabecca.
    That will make way for Maxie and Spinelli to get back together.

34. Donna Millar says:

I heard she will be hooked up with billy miller as his supposedly wife

35. Donna Millar says:

Bring Steve Burton back as the real jason and keep the one they have now as he was brainwashed by Helena to think he is the real jason the general hospital just lit up when Steve Burton was on and I never watched it in those days but have been watching old clips and WOW Now I know why everyone says bring him back and I agree!!!!!