Grammys 2015: Best and Worst Moments

Annie Lennox, John Legend and Miranda Lambert saaang. Kristen Wiig (!) danced. And Madonna made us question whether or not we’re putting in enough time at the gym and/or taking seriously enough our New Year’s resolution about cutting back on processed carbs.

Those were just a few of the highlights of the 2015 Grammy Awards — AKA the night where Sam Smith won everything except maybe two trophies that went to Beyoncé and Beck. (It’s a good time to be a uni-monikered vocalist with a name beginning in ‘B,’ apparently.)

But who cares about the “winners” and “losers” when the court of public opinion is more concerned with who brrrrrought it and who didn’t quite measure up during the nearly four-hour telecast’s smorgasbord of musical performances?

Check out our picks in the gallery below for the evening’s 16 most memorable moments — then hit the comments to tell us where we got it right, what we messed up and whose names we egregiously left out altogether!

1. Meg says:

Despite a few genuinely enjoyable moments the Grammys as a whole seemed like one big political mashup. The only thing missing was a 1-800 # at the bottom of the screen telling us how to donate to their telethon. Personally, I vote for legislative officials to represent my political leanings. I am watching the Grammys and other award shows for entertainment value not for politically motivated soundbites that alienate more people than they encompass. Grammys are blacklisted from my lineup until they get their act right. 90% of that show was political. No offense Prince, you are a brilliant singer/songwriter but you use a decorative cane and dress like a Golden Girl. I did not vote for you as my State Rep or Senator. Use your twitter, etc. to share your political views please.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I could not aree more, Meg. Knock it off with the political commentary and just sing. We have the news on all day long. I want to be entertained.

• Amy says:

My feelings exactly re: the Prince “commentary”…and that knock it off goes to all performers. To Prince…”ALL lives matter.” Move on.

2. Drew says:

John Mayer now looks exactly like Phil Dunphy. Also Buddy Holly.

3. potus says:

You know what Annie Lennox’s performance needed to make it really special? Some sparkly minotaurs….

4. Mart says:

The whole domestic violence is bad thing would be more meaningful, and far less hypocritical, if so many Grammy performers didn’t happily 7 routinely exploit “The Ho’s” in words and song for profit…..
    And of course, you have be dressed in virginal white….’cause that’s what good girls are.
    Gag me….there is no cause these people won’t exploit for attention to themselves.

5. Oblah De Oblah Da says:

Yeah, who brrrrrought it. Right. I hate the Grammy Awards now. I watch it for about two minutes to see Paul McCartney, ELO, U2, and the like. I can happily skip the rest, ’cause it ain’t my cup of tea!

6. greysfan says:

Sam Smith and Mary J Blige stole the show if you ask me. Amazing performance. There were so many but i was not a fan of Beyonce this year. I hate saying it because she is awesome but this one was not a good one.

7. tarot bueno says:

WOW just what I was looking for. Camee here by searching for vidente
    real

8. Timmah says:

I don’t see why people are so crazy for Stay With Me. It’s such a bland song. I thought Chandelier deserved to win.

• Ro says:

When I first heard the song, I thought it was Michael Bolton singing…

• Anthoneo says:

To emphasize your point, I thought Stay With Me lacks the authenticity and depth of emotion of Chandelier but Sam Smith compensated with a rich transcendent vocal. Taking that into account I wouldn’t argue with the panels’ pick on ROTY. But I’m still wondering why Sia didn’t win SOTY.

9. Daisy says:

Overall the show was blah… There were a few enjoyable moments but they were few and far between. I want to watch these types of shows for fun and entertainment not for politics and PSAs (although the best commercial of the night was a PSA in disguise LOL!)

10. The W3 takes two images (like our eyes do) which are captured on the disk at once and are combined
    together (like what the brain does) into a full 3D image.
    Perkins (Shel – Perkins) in a recent workshop said:
    “People should take advantage of the opportunity now take the initiative to develop a long term plan to promote the healthy development of enterprises. Zink Imaging has developed the world’s first inkless printer.

11. safado says:

Great show. But what on earth was Usher singing about?

12. Sara says:

I would have added Kanye storming the stage during Beck’s win for Best Album as a “worst moment.” How disrespectful can one person be?! And then after the show on E! Kanye said he wasn’t joking and that Beck should give the award to Beyonce to “respect artistry.” Sorry Kanye, the Grammy’s were respecting artistry by giving Beck that award.

• Me says:

That was funny as H. Had never heard of Beck until today so I can’t really comment on how good his music is but yeah Beyonce’s album was amazing.

• Wtactualf says:

Are you for real? You’ve never heard of Beck? Wtf. What’s wrong with people.

• cc says:

Kanye was so unimpressive I didn’t even notice the moment with Beck. I only noticed his painfull song in which he stood in a fogged spotlight with mega autotune assistance.

• Samara says:

What is wrong with you. Do you know every artist on planet? Why is not ok that alot of people do not know him. Like it or not he is not popular, that is not to say he is not a great artist. He just does not have alot of exposure that’s all. I had never heard of him either until last night. At least this will give him exposure and a whole new fanbase. SMH

• Pat says:

I agree with you, 100%. Next year, the Grammy’s need to ban Kanye from being there. I find him to be a narcissistic jerk and this cannot continue year after year, when another artist wins the album of the year.

• Creepy says:

If I were Kim kardashian I would be seriously worried about my husband’s compete and creepy obsession with beyonce’

• abz says:

She has enough to worry about what with being a waste of human life and not doing anything of substance or worth with her “fame”.

• B says:

he is such a narcissistic joke, saying that the Grammy’s should respect art while at the same time being closed-minded and judging art by saying Beck didn’t deserve the award. Sorry Kanye awards aren’t given out based on who YOU think should win

• Joey says:

Even if he has such a problem with the Grammy voting bloc, I still don’t understand why he thinks Beck needs to personally apologize to Beyonce for winning the award over her.

• GUEST says:

I totally agree with you 110%. Why does Kanye do this ?? He did it before, dissing Taylor Swift some years ago. He acted so STUPID. He spoke the same stupidity. Why didn’t anyone stopped him ? If it would’ve been a regular person doing this, he/she would’ve been taken off the stage immediately. The Grammys should banned Kanye West, he should be banned from any Award ceremonies. Come on, he acts like a moron, maybe he is. . . . . . seriously.

• Temperance says:

As a completely talent- and class-free act, West needs to dry up and blow away.

13. Is there a possibility you can tone down the adrenaline in the room with just one
    gift. So look out for the best brands in the marked and choose wisely.
    On wedding ocassion very latest collection of embroidery kurta pajama
    are in fashion.

14. Cass says:

I suspect Kanye West tampered with Paul McCartney’s mike to thwart any chance the legend would steal focus from the ego-maniac. And I completely agree with you that Hozier and Annie Lennox where the performance of the night.

15. Me says:

I’m glad I waited for Glory by John Legend and Common. That performance moved me

16. Karen Douds says:

Seemed like at least one of the microphones was not working well for all of the songs, or maybe the music just drowned them out. Tom Jones and Jessie J were impressive. I thought the expression on Paul McCartney’s face was adorable and so very human when he realized he’d been caught getting into the music.

17. Elena says:

Cant believe that Sia won anything.

18. WMJ4520 says:

The Grammy awards have become a joke. Of the nearly 4 hours, only about 15 minutes was spent on awards.

• abz says:

I know. I only found out on Facebook that Carrie Underwood, Christina Aguilera/AGBW and several others won Grammys. I sort of wish they would just focus on the music of the past year and not try to keep searching for these “Grammy moments” bringing back songs that weren’t even from the past decade or two.

19. Rafael says:

Sam Smith steals the whole show!

20. Mike O. says:

Madonna needs to be in a retirement home with Beck, Prince, Tony Bennett, Annie Lennox and yes, Lady Gaga. This year the awards seemed like an episode of America’s Funniest Videos, out dated, painful to watch and poorly staged.

• Jake says:

Maybe they can get a seat next to your sorry ass. Dude, age is just a number. I for one am sorry that your small mind cannot grasp the concept that without the individuals you listed above the so called artists that you listen to today would not exist. These individuals are legends. I am not sure about Lady Gaga, but certainly the rest.

• ..... says:

I’d add AC/DC to that list as well, that opening was a complete mess. I agree their time has come and gone, they need to just sit back and enjoy the fruit of their success.

• Temperance says:

Lennox handed everyone else their fannys… she was tops last night by a mile. And yup, she’s 60.

21. LG says:

Michael’s ears must be clogged again. Normally Miranda is great, but that song was terrible, and her vocals made Ariana Grande sound like a professor of diction.

• Temperance says:

Uh, Arianna is completely unintelligible, so no. She did have issues, but that’s a really bad comparison. Grande hits the notes beautifully, but no one can understand a thing she sings live.

22. ChrissieK says:

The Grammys for me are no longer about the award nor artistry or respecting what that little gold gramophone used to stand for…it is a display or really horrible “costumes” and how much boob or behind can you show without being arrested or called distasteful. I am surprised the powers that be behind the Grammys do not insist on it being taken seriously but it seems they allow the performers to run the show.

23. Gale says:

Good critique, Michael. But I am surprised you didn’t mention the obvious lip-syncing by many of the performers. The worst was Gwen Stefani. My favorite of the night was Ed Sheeran’s lovely “Thinking Out Loud”. He was robbed, IMHO.

24. Ro says:

Funny Maybelline reference… and yes, Tom Jones, AC/DC and Annie Lennox (with Hozier) rocked it! None of these guys are ready for an old-folks home.

• ..... says:

You kidding me, I’m sure their (AC/DC, Annie Lennox, Beck, Tom Jones, Tony Bennett) Grammy After-Party was in a geriatric ward!

25. eva says:

Ugh, what’s with all these religious songs, is that a new trend in pop?

26. WILD FLOWER says:

Worst/horrible moment of the Grammys, Kaney West, what an idiot.

Greatest moments, Tom Jones, Annie Lennox. Sam Smith and John Legend. I can hardly wait for the Oscar Awards, hopefully minus Kaney West and family.

27. Lisa B says:

The acoustics were terrible the whole night–you’d think a show devoted to music would at least be able to get that much right! I watch the Grammys for the unexpected match-ups in performances and the brilliance that occasionally occurs… and I was terribly underwhelmed this year. Hozier and Annie Lennox were the best by far–I’ve seen Hozier perform his song so much better than he did last night; however, the moment Annie took the stage, the energy level rose immediately. She really pours her entire being into every performance, and I thought she was amazing. Madonna, however, not so much. I admit I was never a fan, but I always thought she had style and admired the ways in which she reinvented herself. The whole “spectacle” was creepy and, quite frankly, embarrassing. Yeah, she’s in great shape. We get it. But to get up there and sing about love lifting you up surrounded by bull-demons and a gospel choir… it just made no sense. Political leanings aside, at least Pharrell’s spectacle was *about* something.

28. Spot on with this write-up, I seriously believe that this amazing site needs far more attention.
    I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for
    the information!