Exclusive

CBS Sneak Peek: A Good Wife Return, Madam Secretary Under Fire and More

With another three weeks left until The Good Wife and Madam Secretary resume their seasons, CBS will whet fans’ appetites this Sunday with a teasey new promo — which, lo and behold, TVLine can bring to you right now.

In the 30-second video, the Good Wife faithful will get a taste for a favorite lawyer’s return, as well as watch Ed Asner get a bit flirty with one of the femmes. Tea Leoni’s Madam Secretary, meanwhile, is facing the music, and as a result, heads may roll.

Also touted in the promo is the new cop drama Battle Creek, starring Dean Winters (Law & Order: SVU) and Josh Duhamel (Las Vegas) and premiering Sunday, March 1, leading out of the Madam Secretary/Good Wife combo.

Which Sunday drama are you most anticipating come March 1?

1. Kenter says:

Can someone explain to me why you would Geo-block an advertisement? It’s an ad, it promotes your products, why limit that to just one place? It’s 2015, it’s the Internet, why are companies still so backwards and thinking regions should be restricted?

• Lizo says:

Ya I don’t get that either. Even if it airs on a different network in a different country, the studio still benefits from having people watching.

• John NYC says:

The network has a license from the studio for only specific places, in other countries different people have those rights: “broadcasting” into other people’s licensed areas would violate their show contract.

The teasers come from the networks, advertising their broadcast, not the studio…

2. Lizo says:

THREE WEEKS!!!

3. Mommaknowsbest says:

Will someone PLEASE bring back Madam Secretary before I forget the premise of the show, as well as who the characters are?? This is getting to be a bit ridiculous!!

4. I am looking forward to Madame Secretary. It is certainly lots better than the show with Katherine Hiegel. You lost me a long time ago with The Good Wife. Too much bed swapping

• EHO says:

WOW! you just named my problem with the show I used to love, I thought it was overall bad plots and storylines but it has become little more than bed-hopping and trashy bed-hopping at that. The best characters are the kids just now. And they’ve got THEM bed-hopping. Yikes!

5. Tran says:

Can’t wait until March 1st when Madam Secretary and Good Wife returns. I have a feeling Battle Creek won’t last that long even though the 10 p.m. Sunday night time slot still hasn’t been too kind to CBS.

• Tran says:

BTW, wonder if CBS is planning a Sunday night filled with powerful women next TV season. Here’s my bold prediction: 8 p.m. – Supergirl. 9 p.m. – Madam Secretary. 10 p.m. – The Good Wife.

6. Vivian says:

Forget “good wife” Hoe wife

7. Christian says:

I just never understood CBS’ willingness to play Russian Roulette with Good Wife’s ratings and the tolerance of its loyal fanbase by foolishly screwing around with the continuity of a season. Bizarre.

• Citygirl says:

The Good Wife’s fan base is slowly dwindling. The storylines are just ridiculous. Alicia Florrick is an idiot.

• Jeff says:

Could not agree more! Good Wife is one of the best written shows on TV these days. The loyal fans have dealt with a switch of days and the unfortunate curse of having to follow football which changes start times. All this while amazingly always delivering close to 10 million viewers weekly. Not bad Huh?

8. mrsfoxxe says:

Forget “good Wife” That’s “ho Wife” cancel it

9. Anne says:

The headline got me excited. I thought TGW was returning THIS weekend….then I read the first sentence….

Also 7 new episodes in a row, that means it will take ANOTHER short break at the end of April before finishing the season with the last 3 episodes.

10. Maryann says:

I will be glad to see Madam Secretary return, and I am looking forward to checking out Battle Creek. Forget The Good Wife though. It should have been cancelled years ago.

• Citygirl says:

Agree about the Good Wife. The only characters I like on the show are Diane, David Lee and Eli. Heck, I even like Peter!! The show is over hyped and not as good as it thinks it is.

11. I and many many friends used to solo enjoy Sunday night TV with BOTH Madam Secretary and Good Wife. We will be so sad to see Madam Secretary cut!!! Please don’t

• Dave says:

Madam Secretary has already been renewed for a second season!

• Temperance says:

I actually enjoy Madame Secretary despite the whole (utterly ridiculous) top international professor/pilot/spy husband. The actor is fine, but the plots/writing to jazz up his character is silly and distracting. I’m an unabashed Heigl fan, so I’m also onboard with State of Affairs (and Chris McKenna, the hottest guy on TV right now), but it does need a bit of tweaking to make Charlie a bit less grim. The character limits a lot of Heigl’s most appealing characteristics.

12. Saabgirlatx says:

Can someone please explain why they would bring these shows back for like, two episodes then preempt them for six weeks??? Especially after they were off for several weeks for the holiday??? TGW belongs on a Monday so we can have continuity and no football delays. /sigh

13. You have three winners in a sea of obscurity,why would you possibly change that?

14. suzyku says:

Really looking forward to The Good Wife, Madam Secretary and the new Battle Creek

15. fan1am says:

I think the similarity in titles of Madam Secretary and State of Affairs gave the impression that the shows are similar. In her former life as a CIA operative, Madame Secretary would be in the first show.

The West Wing was one of my all time favourite shows and I am Canadian. While being entertaining they taught us about the President and his advisers- I am enjoying it just as much the second time around.

State of Affairs has gone too “Bare Bones” as the CIA report should done in the situation room with Defence input as well. Only the special briefings on Her son’s death should be discussed in private when there is no action required!

I almost stopped watching the West Wing when the show due to the Emmy(s) she had won cast Allison Janney to replace John Spencer as the Chief of Staff which should have gone to Bradley Whitford as he was Deputy Chief of Staff. Allison Janney as Press Secretary was under the purview of Richard Schiff who was the Communications director. But came back when Jimmy Smits was cast.

16. erom43 says:

It’s a shame that “Madam Secretary” is on the chopping block, as it is one of our favorite shows. I would rank it as one of the top five scripted dramas on TV today. The problem is Sunday+CBS+Football. You never know what time the show will start. I could not watch it without my DVR.

• Kathie says:

Madame Secretary is not on the chopping block. It has been renewe for a season 2. For some unknown reason, CBS put it on winter hiatus after showing only a couple of new episodes after the holiday hiatus. The show will be back on March1 to finish the season, unless they decide to have a spring hiatus after a couple of episodes. I hate the chopped up seasons on network TV.
      Bones will not be back till March 26. I finally found that out on the Fox network Bones page. The least they could do is announce it on the networks so viewers would know and are not left wondering what the heck happened.

17. Betsy says:

I love Madam Secretary. It’s enlightening and entertaining. The crazy love birds cheapen the show a bit but everything else is great. Please keep it on!

18. Sue O says:

Madame Secretary. I love this show. I’m kind of bored with The Good Wife.

19. Racond says:

Please bring back Madam Secretary !! was wrong with you people.

20. Barbara says:

I find this nonsense tiring. Why the long wait until the show commences? I have forgotten most of the story lines and will probably not return to viewing it in March. It is too much time to wait.

21. Vicky St Clair says:

Can’t wait for Madame secretary

22. Pam says:

Can’t wait for the good wife!!

23. Debra kirlew says:

I had just started watching the good wife seen like it was just getting good but went off the air just wanted to know when the good wife coming back on,

24. Marilyn Alongi says:

I have finally found two intelligent & interesting television shows for my over 50 age group…Madam Secretary and State of Affairs. I’ve all but quit watching network TV due to the lack of substance, intelligence and quality programming, especially on CBS (except 60 Minutes)…until now! Therefore, you can understand my frustration with their inability to keep Madam Secretary in a solid time slot instead of the recent ‘on and off’ commitment to the shows airing schedule. Is there an explanation that might help me understand this? I fear I may be again done with this network all together which is too bad because I very much look forward to my favorite show in Madam Secretary.

25. Reena says:

Can you please bring Madame Secretary back soon!

26. Aisha says:

Bring back The Good Wife pleeaaase!!! I don’t understand why you so intent on benching the greatest show that ever lived Urghhh. You should fire your time slot adviser thindu

27. What happened to her investigation into the suspicious death of the former sec of state? That plot line just up and disappeared.

28. Jerry Hunt says:

Never cared for Good Wife but enjoyed Madam Secretary. Very entertaining, Keep it going.

29. Andria Beckham says:

LOVE MADAM SECRETARY!!! It’s the only moral STAND UP show on tv that I want my kids to watch! Scandal is just an embarrassing scandal and tho I love Katharine Hiegel she’s just changing hairstyles from one scene to the next and she’s not believable. Tea Leone is giving us a strong working mom with real family connection and real probs at the office. Love the moral compass heading straight for a change!! Don’t cancel the only show that has moral fiber and great example for a woman doing good!

30. I want my 2 favorite CBS shows back on the TV listing, The Good Wife and Madam Secretary !! When do they return ?? They weren’t cancelled right ???

31. MARY ANNE DEVLIN says:

Really looking forward to ‘THE GOOD WIFE’! Why such a long break.?

32. jim says:

I like the good wife all the controversy makes you want to see it next week to see what is going to happen all the negative comments are from people who watch it regularly I love the show. JIM

33. Deanne Ruble says:

Have been totally waiting for Madam Secretary…..don’t like the good wife

34. Two questions?
    1) Should TV networks be required to tell us what happened in the plot ending after the TV shows are canceled? 😃

2) Does Allegiance being canceled have anything to do with what’s going on in Russia besides just low ratings!? And/or our ratings dude what’s going on in Russia for Allegiance?

35. David says:

I and my wife have watched good wife from the beginning ,but this year sucks ,the election is boring and Alicia is getting to much time. I hope you guys get bacvk to what made this show great if not you lose.

36. EHO says:

Madam Secretary is the show I’m waiting for and anticipating as the story lines really ramped up at the end of last season while the show was strong all year. Sadly, I’ll drop Good Wife from my watching list even though I’ve watched from the beginning. This has become a trashy soap, emphasis on trash. Its not that people in real life don’t act that way, its that I don’t care about these selfish and totally self-absorbed characters any longer. I’d rather have a new show in the slot. Besides, Politics coming on heavily in real life is more than enough to deal with, so kill Good Wife and give us something like or more of Madam Secretary. Thanks for asking.

37. M B McHargue says:

My husband, family and I so enjoy Madam Secretary and are looking forward to the new season! Please, don’t let us down! Thank you for airing this such a smart show and listening to your viewers.