Grey's Anatomy Recap: Hope for the Best, Plan for the Worst

As April and Jackson awaited test results that would tell them what kind of osteogenesis imperfecta Baby Boy Avery has, she took the former approach to the suspenseful situation (hope for the best), and he took the latter (plan for the worst).

So, as you can imagine, this week’s Grey’s Anatomy was fraught with tension. Think you can handle it? Keep reading…

STRESS TEST | Though Jackson insisted that, like April, he didn’t believe that their son had Type 2 OI (the usually fatal form of the brittle bone disease), he still wanted them to decide together — in advance — what they would do if they were wrong. She, on the other hand, didn’t want to consider that dire possibility unless or until they had to. Furthermore, she admitted, “I think you already know what you would want to do,” and challenged him to say it aloud. “I think we should terminate,” he confessed. In response, she admitted that, regardless of the test results, that wouldn’t be her choice.

Later, as they continued their debate, April’s mom arrived and ushered her off to church. That evening, Mama Kepner forcibly framed the matter as being between April and her God rather than April and her husband, sparking a furious argument with Jackson. When it got to be too much, April lost it and wailed that “I don’t know anything except that I’m scared and sad and alone… and the louder you get, the more terrified I become.” (Beautiful work by Sarah Drew, by the way.) As the hour came to a close, Herman was just about to reveal to the Averys whether the baby was Type 2 or 3. We faded out before she did so, but based on the tearful scenes for next week, I think we all know what the test results say, right?

HARD SELL | After an overtly flirty meeting with a comely tech rep peddling transducers (which, thanks to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, I’d always thought were made-up alien gadgets), Owen and Callie happened upon the woman at their local watering hole. Considering it fate that, of all the gin joints in Seattle, the salesperson would show up at theirs, Torres told fellow singleton Hunt, “You gotta get back in the saddle, and she’s got a nice saddle.” When he hemmed and hawed, she then took matters into her own hands, approaching the rep and singing Owen’s praises.

Trouble was, he wasn’t her type. Why?!? Callie asked. “He has a penis,” the woman replied, thus revealing that Torres has the lousiest gaydar since Mr. Roper. Worse, as flattered (and flustered) as Torres was, she turned down her admirer’s offer of a one-night stand. “Have we used up all our happy?” she asked Owen later. Since he ended the hour pining for Cristina, we’ll take that as a yes… but only for the moment.

BUSY BODIES | Speaking of characters who haven’t been getting any lately, Mer spent “The Bed’s Too Big Without You” trying not to miss Derek by cuddling up with Zola, lecturing Alex on what to do if she texts while he’s getting busy with Jo and battling a monster tumor with her 3D printer, Bailey and Maggie. During an all-nighter with her colleagues, she noted that Derek had gone away many times, and the empty bed had never bothered her. But “this time, he’s gone, and I know he’s gone,” she said, “and the bed feels lonely.” The rest of the conversation was fairly light till Maggie chimed in with the sad tale of her one serious boyfriend. Wonderful as he was, she found it so impossible to sleep with anyone next to her that when he proposed… well, as she put it, “He is now married to someone who loves to spoon and snuggle.” Even more sadly, she added, “I may be too good at being alone.” At least as the episode drew to a close, we saw that a) Jo had learned the proper way to receive a text during intercourse, and b) Mer had placed a call to Maggie rather than toss and turn with her 3D-printed tumor for the world’s grossest teddy bear.

QUICK STUDY | Meanwhile, though Amelia swore that she was going to get to know Herman’s tumor so well, she’d be able to reveal “what street it grew up on and where it lost its virginity,” the maybe-dying-maybe-not doc took the Jackson approach to the unknown (plan for the worst) and collected the “most screwed-up” cases around to give Arizona a crash course in fetal surgery. When Amelia noticed that Herman had not one but two stacks of cases to tackle, Nicole explained that the first stack was the ones she and Arizona could get to for sure.

And the second? “You should just think of them as babies who will die if you’re full of crap.” (No pressure, Shepherd!) Later, after witnessing Amelia flummoxing the residents with her game plan for Herman’s tumor, Richard was reassuring Derek’s sister that she was brilliant. Just then, Stephanie burst in – all of a sudden, she understood! And all of a sudden, Amelia didn’t need any reassurance that she was brilliant.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the Chandra Wilson-directed episode? What would you do if you were in Jackson and April’s position? Hit the comments!

1. Ashley says:

Amazing work by Sarah tonight, and I anticipate it’ll only be better (and more heartbreaking) next week.

2. 777 says:

I was surprised that Callie said she’s divorced, I would’ve expect them to show us calzona finalizing it

• JJM says:

Callie and Arizona are not divorced – they’re separated.
      As far as I know, they’re not even legally separated.
      Callie has said things about Arizona before, such as she’s dead.

• Babygate says:

It’s not the first time Callie says they are divorced. They can’t finalize anything because they were never legally married but they both acknowledge their marriage is over. Callie is not being petty, she’s using the correct status for their relationship.

3. jalahyacinth says:

I’m glad that I don’t watch this show anymore. It would be too hard to watch April and Jackson since my husband and I are going through something very similar right now. Right down to their responses to terminating or not.

• JJM says:

Good thing that you can truly empathise with them then.

• Pam says:

What kind of thing is that to say?

• Pam says:

JJM, I’m really sorry for what you are going through. Many years ago, after going through years of fertility treatments, we thought we were going something similar too, but were very fortunate not to be. Until we got good news, I was a wreck and no one could console me. You have my prayers. Best of luck in your decision.

• pauladuffy says:

Thank you for sharing with us. I was thinking they handled it very realistically, but I have no experience to rely one. Wishing you the best.

• Julia says:

Wishing you the best. I am sure that you aren’t the only family that can empathize with this storyline. I can’t imagine. Regarding April/Jackson, I am a bit concerned about how they are going to carry this through on the show with the battle of religion vs. science, etc. Hoping that it is somewhat realistic.

• Grey's Fan says:

Am I the only one who views the religion vs. science debate as an internal struggle for April, rather than April vs. Jackson? It’s always been an internal struggle for April ever since she slept with Jackson during the boards.

4. jessica says:

Please put Callie and Arizona back together them being apart is just to much for me….I can’t imagine them with anyone else…..

• JJM says:

The damage is done.
      No married couple should split twice within a year without it raising alarms.
      These two are done as a couple, as well as individual characters.
      Until they can work out themselves as individuals, they won’t last as a couple.
      Furthermore, they’re both very different people from when they went in, so if they’re both as much as different people from when they go to give it another shot, would it even work out again for the 3rd time in their marriage?

• abz says:

Please no. I like them so much better apart. I’m even liking Arizona too. I was so mixed over her where sometimes I liked her and other times I really didn’t, but I’m just finally starting to like her again. I like seeing her on her own and independent and working with Herman. Also, I’m loving seeing just a bit of the old Callie return to herself.

5. Babygate says:

Sarah Drew is painfully exquisite in this arc. Much respect. And even though i don’t like Jackson, Jesse is acting his heart out. Kudos. Loved the scene in the printing room with the bonding with the ladies. LovedMaggie and Mer face timing. Love the Herman storyline. Such a treat to watch Geena Davis in the small screen. Only complaint is not enough Callie. But I’m biased since she’s my favorite. I for one hope she gets her groove on with someone else. Arizona got to play the field while she was still married and it’s only fair Callie gets the same chance now that she’s single. It’s obvious she suffers from a deficit in self-esteem and it’s about time she finds someone who makes her feel desired, not just needed.. Although she showed again tonight that she is not one to look for cheap thrills. I must say I’m liking girl-Sheperd 200% more than boy Shepherd.

• Jovana says:

I agree on almost everything. This last sentence – YES! Amelia is AMAZING. I adore her so, so, so much. Girl crush :D

I’m all for Callie getting some lovin’. As long as it doesn’t come from Owen. Huge NO to that pairing.

• Babygate says:

Owen and Callie? God NO!!! Absolutely no!

• abz says:

And a huge NO to Amelia and Owen even though I know it’ll probably be happening since this show is so incestuous. I have no desire to see Owen’s life period really. I’d be perfectly content with his personal life occurring off screen.

6. Alichat says:

Sarah Drew’s blow up was amazing. I really hope April realizes that Jackson’s way of coping is to plan….to talk it out and have a plan. And her mother needs to shut it or go home. I loved the scene between Callie and Owen…..had they used up all of their happy. And him later standing on the grate. And that 3D printed, big, ugly tumor was rather fascinating. Kinda reminded me of an episode of Fringe when they pulled it out finally. LOL!

7. JJM says:

I’m not sure if it’s Meredith’s emotional development as a character, but I’m liking how she’s bonding with Maggie. The way they went with her and Lexie took almost two seasons, but this relationship is progressing well. Whether it be that she no longer has a person or that Maggie and herself share a mother compared to Lexie and her sharing a dad is interesting to me. I’m definitely hoping for more Maggie and Meredith scenes like that at the end.

8. Derek says:

Another great episode for Grey’s tonight, so much covered, and I think it’s really going back into the formula that makes Grey’s so great. There was just enough drama and a whole lot of medical to keep it fresh and best of all very interesting storylines. I’ve stuck with Grey’s Anatomy through the thick and the very thin, but this episode brought back everything I love about the show. It gave everyone a chance to shine, the April and Jackson storyline was very heartbreaking, very realistic, Dr. Herman’s tumor is segwaying into other arcs as well. Meredith and Derek’s long-distance and slow healing relationship is taking the forefront, but I feel like something may happen along the way such as an affair or a new encounter with someone in their lives may be in the future for some reason. I also liked the medical case of the week a lot because it brought a lot of the characters together on an unpredictable tumor that was very tricky and almost inoperable but of course they handled it. The one thing I would like to see though in the near future is an episode revolving around Alex because I think that there is so much more to be delved into with him, and he’s really turning into a great guy. Overall really excited about the outlook of the show and where it is going.

9. James says:

Greys anatomy should move to Sundays at 9

• Miss Rozie says:

@James – 9p Sunday evenings was the original time slot Grey’s was in when it first aired 11 years ago. I got used to the day/time change but now that it is on at 7p, blech … but I’ll still watch it because I love this show. Always something to take away from a certain scene, storyline or an entire episode. LOVING the entire April/Jackson storyline …. from starting off point to now … there is just something really special about the two people that bring these two characters to life. Sarah Drew was interviewed on Access Hollywood Wed., Feb. 4th (the interview can be viewed online) & while she could not divulge a whole lot, she did say that there would be a couple of more episodes on this very sad storyline. She also said that within a day of going into labor/delivery with her tv baby she gave birth to her real-life daughter, Hannah, born 3 weeks early & who was born not healthy, spent 11 days in the hospital, baby Hannah is at home & doing very well, she said that the experience at work with this storyline actually prepared her for her real-life struggle with a baby born ill. Thankfully all’s well that ends well in her real-life. I do believe it is going to be a whole different story on tv.

10. trainwreck says:

That Owen scene down in the vents had me gasping! (and mind you I don’t gasp Easy!) .. I like where they are going with Callie and Owen.. while Owen has clearly a lot of choice in single ladies at GSMH (Callie, Amy or Maggie), i like how they show that he is clearly not over Cristina yet – been going through a similar situation I can relate to this.

11. abz says:

I’m still kind of against this whole sick baby story line in the first place (can there just be one birth without drama on this show?), but Sarah Drew is doing a great job with it. That scene with her, Jackson and her mom was heartbreaking,
    I think the show is missing a HUGE opportunity with this storyline. Amelia is the one person on this show at the moment who can really understand what April is going through. Yes the other women have had drama-filled births, but Amelia’s experience was very similar to what April is going through now. It’s kind of disappointing that they aren’t taking advantage of that.
    On the plus side, I loved seeing more Meredith/Amelia bonding. In fact, the whole bonding scene around the 3D printer was a highlight of the episodes and maybe among the best of the season. The only thing missing was Callie’s presence during it.
    It’s nice that Bailey was actually useful in this episode and her presence felt welcomed compared to the past two or more seasons where her story line has been pretty terrible.
    I liked seeing Meredith and Maggie skyping and I’m glad they are getting closer. I know it’s only natural for Meredith and Cristina to drift apart, but I hope that she doesn’t end up forgotten and just become a random anecdote over drinks like George or Izzie have become. Cristina was so important to the show and even though she’s gone, her essence should still remain. Similar to the way they mention Finn on Glee.

12. Saabgirlatx says:

I find it unrealistic that Meredith would not reach out to Derek, especially after the scene where they said they would make it work in the two cities. Contrived. It’s good she is leaning on other peoples, but her and Derek have always had that professional and personal connection.