Exclusive

Idol Sneak Peek: Will Group Rounds Doom Tyanna, Reno and Maddy?

Loading video...

Never bring too much confidence into American Idol‘s dreaded Hollywood Week “Group Rounds.”

Exhibit A: The following exclusive preview video of the somewhat boastfully named Dream Team — consisting of audition standouts Tyanna Jones and Maddy Hudson, as well as Reno Anoa’i and Steffi Ledbetter.

As far as covers of the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back” go, this isn’t exactly Season 8’s epic White Chocolate. I mean, when one of the contestants’ own mothers is burying her face in her hands and groaning, “This is not good,” it’s hard to imagine all four of ’em will survive the judges’ wrath. (My snap prediction: Only Tyanna will come out alive.)

Check out the clip for yourself, then share your thoughts and predictions down in the comments! And be sure to follow me on Twitter for a season’s worth of exclusives, contestant interviews, recaps and videos!

1. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

Tyanna is just EXTRODINARY!!! she is so lovable and you just cant deny how POWERFUL her voice is!!!

2. Blinged Up says:

LOL. Can’t wait. Hollywood Week is the best!

3. Timmah says:

Ah, group rounds! All the fascination of watching a train wreck, without the guilt.

4. Kaba says:

Tyana saved that nightmare.

5. White Chocolate! Now that’s the way you do #TBT, Slezak! Gold star for you. :)

6. Softballgirl20 says:

Maddy was amazing and wasn’t given much time to perform. But was the only one to get the lyrics right. The group did great given how much time they got to practice together. Plus they all have different styles of music and the way they sing. of course it’s not going to mesh perfectly and come out sounding like Destiny’s Child. Well done to these four contestants. And by the way to this author: Dream Team is not boastful. They are dreamers. Every contestant on American Idol are dreamers. If they weren’t they wouldn’t make it on the show. So think next time before writing something unintelligible and just plain hurtful.

• Lisa says:

I agree! Maddy was amazing with the little time she had! And the other contestants all worked hard and deserve credit. The authors rude comments are hurtful and unnecessary…you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh good grief, can it, people! How old are you? 12? This is a competition and Mr. Slezak is an entertainment writer and critic, not a life counselor. I am a bit tired of everyone being offended by everything and accusing people of being unkind and “hurtful”. Music is a tough business. There are plenty of people that can sing. But singing out side your genre and singing with a GROUP is totally different.
      Grow up!

7. Maddy was the only one who sang. Train Wreck? Not quite. Let’s see next round.

8. darcy's evil twin says:

Thanks for posting the preview, Mr. Slezak. It’s hard to believe “I Want You Back” is nearly, what, 45 years old? I was singing that song when I was 12!

Tyanna’s joy is just infectious. She needs a bit of coaching on her vocals and her diction but hey, Alison Iraheta was wonderful and made it all the way to fourth place pronouncing “you” like it was “chew”. :-)
    Steffi did not sound bad – at least she made up some lyrics. I think she did, anyway.
    Reno just plain forgot the words and anyone that has sung in a group knows you always jump in and cover for the other person or help them. I realize they didn’t have a lot of time to practice.
    This song was just WAY outside Maddy’s comfort zone. It was odd – her voice is more suited for Billie Holliday, not bubble-gum pop.
    I’m with you, Mr. Slezak – Tyanna will go through. Who knows about the rest?

9. Nicole says:

They were screwing up the words, but they still have really good voices. I hope Maddy makes it. She’s local (for me) so that would be pretty cool. Not the right song for her and even though she messed up some words, she still sounded good. Fingers crossed.