Ratings: NCIS, POI and Parks Slip, Forever Hits Low, Supernatural Rises

NCIS Gay Storyline Ratings

CBS’ NCIS this Tuesday drew 18.6 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating, down 7 percent and two tenths from its last fresh outing.

Leading out of that, NCIS: New Orleans (16.4 mil/2.2) ticked down a tenth and a pivotal Person of Interest (9.2 mil/1.4) slipped 10 percent and three tenths.

Elsewhere….

ABC | Leading out of a special Shark Tank (7.1 mil/1.9), Agent Carter (4.3 mil/1.3) shed a few eyeballs, while Forever returned to 4.4 mil and a 0.9, down 8 percent and a tenth from its previous outing to hit a series low.

THE CW | The Flash (3.5 mil/1.3) was down 15 percent in audience/steady in the demo; Supernatural (2.3 mil/0.9) added a handful of eyeballs plus two tenths in the demo.

NBC | Parks and Recreation’s wedding episode (3.6 mil/1.2) dipped two tenths. Marry Me (2.3 mil/0.9) and Chicago Fire (6.5 mil/1.6) each inched up a tenth, while About a Boy (3.0/1.0) gained two tenths.

FOX | MasterChef Junior (4.9 mil/1.6) rose a tenth, while New Girl (3 mil/1.4) and Mindy Project (2.3 mil/1.1) were steady.

1. Drew says:

Great episode of Supernatural last night, so I’m glad to see the numbers back up. I think the rebound is more about people not wanting to watch Charlie episodes, but it’s just a theory. Dylan Everett did a great job of playing adult Dean in a young body.

• Anno says:

I like Charlie but can’t stand the whole “Oz” storyline. I’m used to a certain amount of ridiculousness from SN but Oz went way over the line. The show is supposed to be about two brothers hunting things that go bump in the night, not dealing with a dreamland created by a girl with a head injury.

• Patrick says:

This. I like Charlie. A lot. And I like Felicia Day. But Charlie is one of those situations where just because a little is good, it doesn’t mean that a lot would be better. If Charlie were added to SN as a recurring or regular character, there MIGHT be some value. Or if she were central to a Men of Letters spin off. But her eps and scenes are too happy and sunny, which isn’t what SPN is all about.

• Lucifer says:

I like Charlie, too, but I honestly don’t see the point in her character. Mainly because she’s basically a carbon copy of the character Felicia played on Eureka. I guess it just feels weird since they’ve killed off far more interesting and important characters while she’s still around.

• Drew says:

Ready for my theory that will turn the whole Charlie situation around completely? Here we go…
          One of the things about fan fiction is that people will create characters who are more or less super versions of themselves, and they will write stories where that character becomes central to the plot of the story that they love. Oftentimes, the main characters of the show that the fanfic is based on will become secondary and bumbling in the presence of this made-up character.
          Charlie has never been a normal recurring character, like Jo, Ellen, Bobby, Rufus, etc. When she is in an episode, she takes over. It becomes all about her, and the Winchesters usually end up looking stupid in her presence. Not only that, but they pretty much started referring to her as a part of their family before they even knew her, which is strange.
          I theorize that Charlie is an avatar. She is a super version of Becky, so that she could work her way into the Supernatural stories that she loves so much. We haven’t seen Becky since Charlie showed up. Furthermore, it was Charlie who made the Winchesters aware of the lost works of Carver Edlund that had been published online, by Becky.
          Charlie doesn’t exist. She is fan fiction. Now I just need the writers of the show to acknowledge this once and for all, and we can finally move on from the ridiculous Charlie stories.

• Carrie says:

Not sure why people don’t like Charlie. I thought she was a popular character. She doesn’t bother me at all and I loved the Oz episode. I also thought last week’s episode was very solid. I like that the brothers have a friend who is like a little sister and their relationship with her is really sweet. They need people like that in their lives.

• Drew says:

Charlie doesn’t fit in with this show at all, and since her first episode, they have constantly made her the center of every episode that she is in and they have tried to force the idea that she is like a sister to Sam and Dean, but it is completely unearned. All of the show’s great recurring characters supported the Winchesters, but they didn’t highjack the episodes that they appeared in. I don’t like the writers holding a weak character in higher regard than the great recurring characters that we have seen on the show.

• rowan77 says:

I disagree completely. Charlie is like the geeky younger sister of the Winchesters. She’s smart like Sam and emotionally tough like Dean, but in the body of an adorable nerd. She has a strong backstory and while sometimes I feel like Felicia Day is a little out of her depth when Charlie goes dark (Felicia is good at what she does, but doesn’t have the range to play a threatening character like Dark Charlie), Charlie the fighting nerd is a welcome and strong addition to the makeshift family the Winchesters built over time.

• Nick says:

I like Charlie, but only because I miss their hunter family and long for them to have a new one. The show isn’t the same without Bobby, Ellen, Jo, Rufus, Kevin, etc.

• Drew says:

I want to see a new hunter family too, but there are better characters for it. Krissy actually does seem like she could be a little sister type character to the guys. Why hasn’t she appeared more?

2. ... says:

What exactly has ABC gained from their Marvel partnership? I mean, really. Two mediocre-at-best-rated dramas that don’t fit with their network identity? I’m sure ABC didn’t get into this thinking they were investing in shows that people would like to DVR. And the fact that they’re allowing both Marvel dramas to drag down Forever is maddening beyond belief.

• crog says:

Nothing. I watch them and Gotham, but overall the superhero/comic obsession for movies hasn’t transfered well at all to TV, except for arrow and flash cuz the cw is weaker overall. Supergirl makes even less sense for CBS. Hopefully after a few more flops they finally realize most people don’t wanna watch this stuff on TV

• Elizabeth says:

I almost see the two Marvel series as harkening back to the mid-2000s, where ABC was the place to go for buzzy, off-beat shows of varied ratings (Lost down to Pushing Daisies) but generally high quality. Agents of SHIELD has taken a huge leap in quality this year- really since last year’s Cap 2 reveal- and I personally find Agent Carter to be refreshing, clever, and extremely entertaining. And both shows have very passionate fanbases, something they do share with their ABC fellows. Just this fan’s opinion.

• Patrick says:

I agree about both TV shows. The problem with this Genre on TV is that the films have raised expectations WRT to SFX that TV simply can’t match. And this isn’t real super hero stuff. AOS shouldn’t have started until THIS year. The pilot should have been about Caulson dealing with the breakup of SHEILD/Hydra in the wake of Cap 2. They rushed it.

• Dennis says:

both Marvel show are good better than yet another crime procedural, the market is so overloaded with that crap. the main problem is people wanted to look at the shows as comic book shows but that’s not what they were launched as. Shield was meant to be a spy show (Roger Moore And Pierce Bronson Era) set in a world Super Hero’s and Villains. The Focus isn’t/wasn’t on the heroes and villains but the world around them, the affect on normal people and the world changed by them

• John NYC says:

Indeed, and Carter, last night being a highlight of this, is clearly crafted as an intense period piece focusing on an American time that has been largely (that I can tell) overlooked.

• Nick says:

In terms of quality, Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are both WAY better than Forever. AOS started off slow, I’ll admit, but it’s much better in terms of quality now. It’s not exactly a partnership, anyway. Marvel and ABC are both owned by Disney, so it’s not like a “mutually beneficial relationship” type deal anyway. America has proven time and time again that mindless comedies and procedurals win out in the ratings over quality shows that you have to think about, but most networks believe (and I share the sentiment) that millennials are slowly overtaking the key demographic and the ratings will climb in the coming years.

3. me2 says:

If CBS had actually promoted the new episode of POI as much as they do the repeats of their other shows, people might realize that POI, nevermind a new ep, was on. Horrible promotion for such a great show. :O

4. Tran says:

More bad news for MARRY ME.

5. Maxsmom says:

There was an interruption in NYC due to the MetroNorth accident, does anyone know why there was only 1 Parks and Rec on February 3rd? This last season is perfection.

6. ninamags says:

It was a great Supernatural episode! POI was fantastic as well. Shaw lives!!!! I also loved the NCIS episode. It was great.

A very good night of television overall.

7. Tran says:

Forever continues to struggle in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot week in and week out. ABC still needs a huge hit for a time slot that has been a “black hole” in years not since the heydays of NYPD Blue.

• drhenning says:

That Tuesday 10pm slot is brutal… Plus you have the final season of Justified… Thankfully I can record 5 things at once to catch everything.. Forever told a neat story last night.. It is a shame that it looks hopeless for a 2nd season based on these ratings..

8. N says:

Forever was fantastic!

9. mary says:

Forever is a fantastic show! ABC needs to find a great spot for it and give it a second season.

10. Nicole says:

Can someone explain to me why Mindy gets so low numbers?!

• Mary says:

Nope I can’t I think it’s he best show on network TV and one of the best shows on TV. It seems like comedies just aren’t doing well in broadcast. Look at my second favorite show brooklyn 99 it is almost even to mindy and it has the Simpson family guy sandwich position.

Or it could be me and I like incredibly specific comedies. But i will venture to guess that after parks and eventually mindy and brooklyn go off the air smart/funny shows like these will only be on Netflix and cable.

This is just my opinion but I bet I’m not wrong.

• S. says:

The people that actually bother to watch it, love it. Getting people to start checking it out is the issue. I love that Fox is giving it a shot, but I wonder how a show like this might’ve done paired with one of the low-rated but beloved NBC comedies. Might’ve at least gotten some Emmy attention and been amongst more like-tone shows. NBC passed on this show originally and I just don’t get why. It fits their brand. If you’re gonna invest in writers from The Office or 30 Rock as seems obvious, why let people like Mindy or some of the others get away from you like they did. They went to Fox or Netflix pretty much.

11. Erin says:

I really enjoyed NCIS last night. It’s one of my top 3 for the season so far. Glad the numbers were great.

12. MizShelbyK says:

I hope ABC takes recorded watching into account because I love Forever but I am never able to watch it live. I love the mythology and how they are crafting Henry’s back story. Please do not cancel this show ABC!!!

13. Kicks says:

Even on repeat, NCIS NO is doing well.

14. Amie says:

I love Forever. I’m gonna be so bummed if we don’t get a lot more Forever.

15. Dan the critic says:

Forever’s low still beat out Agent Carter. Last night was another good episode of Forever, too bad nobody’s watching.

16. Tracy says:

Supernatural was great as usual! Best show on television!

17. Lyn Schuyler says:

NCIS, of which I have been a devoted fan since season one, needs to dump Bishop. She might as well be wearing a “SNORE” t-shirt. Nothing there, no possibility either. As smart as the producers have been up until Ziva’s departure, this was dumb, dumb, dumb. PLEASE get rid of this one before she takes down the whole show.

18. john says:

with all the good shows coming to a end why watch tv anymore pay all my money out for cable and know good shows i will have to thing about my cable if i keep it and pay out so much money ever month for show that are know good i think i will drop my cable