Arrow First Look: Canaries Face Off! — Plus: Will Thea Learn the Truth?

It’s double the canaries, double the fight on next Wednesday’s Arrow (The CW, 8/7c). Now, TVLine has your first look at the sisterly clash when Caity Lotz makes her return.

After Laurel gets hit with a dose of Vertigo, she hallucinates an epic battle with sis Sara — both of ’em fully clad in their costumes.

Elsewhere, Felicity continues to aid Ray with his exosuit, and Oliver — who’s back to taking on crime in Starling City — and Roy (in his Arsenal getup!) appear to be having a serious conversation with Thea.

Are they filling her in on Malcolm’s secrets or their own? Sounds off in the comments!

1. Cassidy says:

I can’t wait for Canary vs Black Canary.

Laurel has come so far. My favorite arc this season

2. Z says:

“Felicity continues to aid Ray with his exosuit” hopefully with a redesign

3. Josh says:

Hope this episode is good. Not looking forward to Ol creepy eyes Ray taking up Felicitys screen time cause he’s gotta be shoved down our throats. I miss Sara so damn much and I’m not really looking forward to more Laurel propping there is no way in Hell she would Really beat Sara

• Cassidy says:

Actually he is giving her screentime since she wouldn’t have anything else to do besides cry over Oliver.

• Josh says:

How dare she cried over Oliver when he “Died” how dare her! And have a creepy guy oogle over her when this guy she said was more than friends with was only dead for what a week or two maybe more?

• Dude says:

Neither of them are real so there is no way in hell either could REALLY do anything.

• Sil says:

Î don’t think Laurel will beat Sara, that’s what vertigo does accentuate one’s fears. And, yes, I agree with u about missing Sara and not anxious for Laurel’s story. However, I’m so excited for Oliver’s return.

• Josh says:

I’m excited for his return as well looks like he makes a grand entrance tonight. I just wish this season wasn’t so depressing

4. Boosh says:

Can Roy leave? I just don’t see the point of Roy at this point. What does he add? Whereas Roy in the comics was a troubled, fun badass, this Roy is just meh.

5. Joey Padron says:

Good photos. Happy Sara will be back in next week’s episode! Interesting Roy sees Thea in his Arsenal suit. Can’t wait to see new episode tonight!

6. Gail says:

A little disappointed that Sara is just an hallucination. Hopefully she will also appear in flashbacks next week. Laurel really needs to tell her father that Sara is dead. This story point is going on too long.

So does Team Arrow find out tonight that Ollie is alive?

7. M3rc Nate says:

Eh, not the smartest decision ever lol, why? What will make us all realize (to the max level) that Caity Lotz should have been the real Black Canary and how much better she is at the role? Putting them both on screen at the same time both dressed as Canary’s. Will just make me miss Caity and her “Canary” even more, and make me dislike Katie and her “Black Canary” even more.
    Its not just that i like Caity more as an actress, her look, her body (athletic build) and her abilities (a real athlete, a real martial artist, a real dancer which helps with fight training etc)…but its the fact that her back-story is SO much better for the Black Canary. Like Oliver she got 4-5 years worth of training (in her case from the LOA) so her being SO good as a hero with no powers is HIGHLY believable. Its perfect. Now compare that to Laurel’s training. The show won’t show us her train for 3-5 seasons before they put her out in the field…yeah she sucks now but they are going to imply Oliver trained her for like 6 months then she will be out there kicking ass…that sucks. The Black Canary is supposed to be the best female fighter in the DC universe if i know my comics..and not only a rival (in fighting ability) to Oliver but better than him. How can she be better than him if shes trained by him? No, Caity Lotz as the Canary was setup perfectly and casted perfectly…what a shame.

(Not Katie Cassidy hate, actually like her).

• Rob Watkins says:

We don’t know how much training she got. We know how long she was away, but we don’t know how long she trained before she became a full member of the League. Malcolm returned only two years after he left for Nanda Parbat. Your logic is specious at best. Plenty of students surpass their teachers and this show isn’t following the comics verbatim. CL was great physically, but Black Canary was more than just a martial artist. Sara was too dour for BC.

• Isobel says:

Laurel isn’t a barrel of laughs herself

• m3rcnate says:

Lol amen. Drug and alcohol addict, depressed and major issues with her boyfriend and sister dying, then add all the issues that lead to someone wanting to become a hero and putting on a outfit and fighting crime putting their life at risk….Sara was dark but could have been opened up and lightened if the writers wanted her to be. If they changed their mind and decided Sara/Caity Lotz was the way to go for Black Canary they could have started to have her befriend everyone (Feclicity/Roy/Diggle) even more and that make her feel at home and help her heal, then her love for Oliver (and his reciprocation of that love) make her warm up even more.

8. herman1959 says:

This looks like an episode for the FF button. I would skip it altogether, but I do want to see Oliver’s return.

9. Heidi says:

Perhaps, even on the Vertigo, Laurel will realize how out of her depth she is when she fights the non-existent Sara. She has a long way to go to reach Sara’s level of combat-readiness.

10. Rob says:

Just for fun: Maybe Caity will be back in real time. What if Nyssa took her body to the Lazarus Pit? She was very adamant Laurel show her where her body was buried.

• bluecyclist says:

And by ‘her’ I meant Sara

• Brit says:

That would be brilliant. Nyssa certainly knows her way around a lazarus pit and at this point I think they need to revive Sara. I enjoyed the show a lot more when Sara was around because she was just so much more badass than Laurel will ever be. I think there’s a comic where Laurel is saved by a lazarus pit, but forget that. Throw Sara in one and let’s get on with the show.

11. Briggs says:

The Canaries fight I’ve known was coming, but I’m really excited for Thea to finally be in on the secrets (hopefully). I mean, it’s taken them long enough, right? This big reveal has been a few seasons in the making (at least the Oliver-is-Arrow part).

12. Carla Krae says:

Canaries fight in episode 13 on Feb. 11.

13. Dj says:

I doubt Roy is telling Thea anything about her secret. Oliver wouldn’t want that. I’m really looking forward to seeing Sara again. She was and is my favorite character.

14. Riana says:

The Canadian promo shows Ollie showing Thea the Arrow Cave

15. Ella says:

SO excited about more Oliver and Laurel scenes. I will go down with this ship.

16. Ruh-roh, Superman III much? This idea doesn’t bode well – on paper it sounds like the catastrophic Royal Rumble finale with The Rock trying to give “the rub” to Roman Reigns (and being booed out the building).
    Caity more than proved she has the chops for the action stuff, and while I loved KC in Supernatural & Scribbler (not sure how much of that was stunt doubles though), she hasn’t gotten to do much in 3 seasons other than whine.
    Hopefully they have a plan here that will involve some much needed change of direction for Laurel.
    Also hopefully this is the last we’ll see of Peter Stormare – he’s nearly as bad as Vinnie Jones!

This season has felt quite off for some reason – some questionable casting (zero personality Ra’s Al Ghul) and messy plotting. Really hope it recovers soon as I hate saying anything negative about Arrow!

17. Alison Tabour says:

Didn’t the writers/producers all ready do this when Arrow has a fight with Oliver via a vertigo induced state?
    I was hoping that Nissa dug up Sara and took her to the Lazarus Pit so Ra’s would really have something to be pissed about. BRING BACK SARA…..pretty please.
    I thought the writers took the easy way out with Olicity. I think it would have been more challenging to write and more interesting to watch if Oliver and Felicity were in ka-hootz together against Merlyn. But whether Oliver is on or off the island, the man remains an island unto himself.
    And what does Diggle think about the Merlyn issue? Surely Dig has an opinion about all this.

18. Don says:

might be an important plot twist.
    Laurel gets shot in the throat with the Vertigo. so probably gains the Canary Cry power somehow?

19. Luis says:

Based on those photos, I’m not sure how Thea isn’t supposed to find out about Oliver

20. mel says:

I know Laurel has to follow Sara’s footsteps in becoming BC, but does she have to suck this bad!!!
    Unfortunately, to watch the show, I have taken to fast forwarding BC scenes.
    Also, the fight scene between the 2 BCs proved that this Laurel is the wrong person.
    I think this would be the perfect time for a recast on someone who can act. And that can make make b**ching about death, injustice and everything else wrong right now in Starling city,less whiny, me me me and more of a hero.