Person of Interest Recap: 'STOP'... and Go — Shaw's Fate Is Confirmed

Person of Interest Shaw Alive

This week on CBS’ Person of Interest, Reese and Root followed the Samaritan van to a hurting hamlet, hoping to find Shaw, alive. But perhaps nothing could prepare them for what they did discover in mild-mannered Maple, N.Y.

While Fusco worked this week’s number — an improbable killer-for-hire who was about to strike again — alongside former IA officer Silva, Reese and Root found themselves in Maple aka “the biggest little manufacturing hub in upstate.” After bumping up against (and dealing with) a problematic local lawman (“Always pack an extra suitcase!”), the two begin to realize that this small town has undergone some strange changes as of late, including a new mayor and the rescue of the local factory, which now manufactures transponders for a company called Carrow.

With Finch helping remotely, Reese and Root also learn, from the CVS clerk-turned-mayor, that Samaritan has been using Maple as an “ant farm,” first bringing the sad community perfect happiness, before “shaking” things up to see how humanity reacts. Madam mayor also discloses, when confronted by Root’s tactics, that the brunette woman they seek did arrive via the refrigerated van and is being kept inside the factory. This, paired with the bloody gurney they found inside the van, suggests that Shaw is alive.

Infiltrating the factory, however, the recuperating patient Reese and Root find is not Shaw but a stock exchange secretary who had been nipped in that melee and then was used as a test subject for Samaritan’s cochlear transponders. Later, back in NYC, a devastated Root pleads to The Machine to confirm Sameen’s status, but the message delivered to her and Finch over a payphone is clear: “S.T.O.P.”

And as Root bids Harold adieu, Person of Interest Shaw Aliveher time with Team Machine seemingly at an end, we segue to a quiet room, the only noise the beeping of a heart monitor. We then see Greer’s sinister mug, followed by a familiar woman’s voice: “If this is the afterlife, it sucks.”

Shaw. Is. Alive.

From here, it is perhaps just a matter of how quickly Sarah Shahi wants to get back to work, after giving birth to the twins she is expecting.

What did you think of the episode “M.I.A.”?

1. Danielle a says:

Awesome ! Love her so I’m relieved she’s still alive. Wasn’t ready to say goodbye to Shaw yet.

2. ScrubsGuy says:

They played it well over the past few episodes. I wish they made it more ambiguous over Shaw’s fate, and gave more time to the falling out between Root and the Machine.

3. Gail says:

Good episode. Glad they found a way to keep Shaw alive. They also came up with a reason for the team to stop looking for her. Hope Root is not gone for long. They are going to need new cast members.

4. JC says:

Thank you POI! So glad that Shaw is alive!

5. juno says:

this show never ceases to amaze me. wow..so so happy Shaw is alive..

6. CKG says:

YESSSSSS! SHE’S ALIVE! I actually jumped off of my couch at that reveal.

7. Thanks for finally writing about >Person of Interest Recap: STOP and Go — Shaws Fate Is Confirmed | TVLine <Loved it!

8. King says:

That ending! Yay I’m so glad Shaw is alive!!! I just hope the writers don’t go the predictable route of Greer having her turn against Team Machine and her and Root on inevitable showdown. Sarah Shahi please return soon!

9. ? says:

Hope that rookie isn’t going to become a temporary replacement for Shaw. She’s not a strong enough character. They can do better.

10. Babygate says:

While I was watching I was thinking how different the show is without Shaw. It’s just not the same at all. I wish that Sarah would be able to return by next season but with the ratings the way they are this may be the last season so I have to accept that we will probably never get a Root/Shaw reunion. But it was really good to see Sameen is alive indeed.

• Diva DIary says:

First of all, wow you’re a pessimist, and secondly, the show is doing fine. I don’t know what you heard, but it’ll get renewed. The last new episode was #1 in it’s time slot for both viewers and ratings. I’m not even worried about POI.

11. KJSeamus says:

Love that Shaw is alive. Really loved seeing how much pain Root was in. It’s great how we can feel sorry for a character who started off so evil. I’m surprised no one has mentioned the nod to The Monsters are due on Maple street from The Twilight Zone. Awesome.

12. Hector says:

Loved it !!!

13. Thank God. You know if they hadn’t killed Carter last season I’m willing to bet she might have just flat out bitten it, but I think they made the right decision in ensuring that another female member of the cast didn’t get offed mid-season in the middle of a major storyline. If they had I probably would have rolled with it, since Shahi is pregnant at least, but the similarities and thus unhelpable feeling of reptition would have at the very least nagged at me.

14. Appreciate the recommendation. Let mme try it out.

15. Diva DIary says:

So glad that they didn’t wait until she was done with her pregnancy to show her face. But I wonder if Root will listen to her god. Anyway, loved seeing Silva (liked her the 1st time around) and wouldn’t mind if she stuck around. She can do Reese’s job since he never really does his job. She reminds me of Batgirl.

16. greysfan says:

So happy Shaw is alive!!! I’m glad they didn’t kill her off.

17. ernestine12 says:

Loved this episode Root was right but the machine has reason for wanting them/her to STOP looking for Shaw. My believe is that Control will get wind of Greer capturing Shaw and Control will end up eventually getting Shaw out of there or Team Machine will be informed and Root will be back. Poor Root:(

18. Imzadi says:

Silva is not Carter–no one is!–but I enjoyed seeing her pair with Fusco. I’d like to see him with a little bit of a life outside of the precinct and the Machine, and I loved the way he looked at her when she “cleaned up really well.” Which reminded me that I’d like to see Zoe back sometime, if it can be worked into the storyline logically.

19. Dude says:

The question for me is, when she comes back will it be full time or will it be like Claire Holt on The Originals where she comes back for a few episodes here and there.

• Patrick says:

If the show is still around when Shahi is ready to come back (and she’s talked about taking 12-24 months off), then I am sure Shahi would want back in. Shows in syndication are real money makers for everyone. Especially since syndication means decent residuals. Heck, with a few more years on a show in syndication, Shahi would be earning purely in residuals what she probably got for the L Word.

20. Dean says:

Love how shaw can be such a smartass even after getting riddled with bullets.

21. Kel says:

Glad they didn’t leave Shaw’s fate up in the air. Wonder what Greer has planned for her, can’t be good.

Dani is ok, but wouldn’t like her as a regular. Dont need a lesser version of Carter.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Although it could be interesting to see someone who’s not a perfect, stone-cold killer/Terminator join the team, learn some things along the way.

• Kel says:

True. I wasn’t sure about Shaw initially either, but love her now and will miss her being a regular (for now).

Kinda looks like next week is a season 1 throwback with just Reese and Finch working a number, with Zoe! As much as I have loved the Samaritan stuff, it will be a nice change of pace. That is until we get closer to the end of the season.

22. Groves says:

Amy Acker was just fantastic in this episode. Her range was spectacular. When Root is in pain, you feel it; Amy’s face is so expressive. In the interrogation scene, she flashed from anger to hope to fear to heartbreak all within a matter of seconds; it was fantastic. Kudos to Acker once again!

23. ANON R says:

Hell of performance from Amy Acker once again. What’s that, like 3 episodes in a row now?

Despite the fact that Root and Shaw can’t really be together for the foreseeable future, I’m going to take comfort with the fact that Shaw is alive, and that Root loves her enough that she chose Shaw over the Machine.

24. Ellinas1978 says:

So obvious. Maybe it was the case as we all knew she was pregnant in real life. Might have been different 20 years ago without the internet.

25. kenL says:

Great episode, and I was indeed surprised they showed Shaw alive at the end. I really thought they were going to do one of those “so, we’re saying she’s dead, but since you didn’t see a body…..” endings. And that would have left the way open. But, I should have known that with this show (which continues to be amazing) that we’d get something different. Great job all around….again.

26. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

I have to admit that I don’t think that Team Machine is going to win and it is beginning to make me sad. It was so sad to see Root and Reese blunder about in this weird little town following clues. Samaritan in less than 3 months old and has done so much more than The Machine has managed to do in the decade that it has been ‘alive’. I had hoped that once it had been ‘set free’ that we would get hints of the plan it has to beat the Samaritan. I have faith that the writers are going to do something really amazing. But at the moment I see everyone dead or in hiding and The Machine manages to store its memory in the compressed software thing that the PoI from the episode titled 2 Pi R wrote and blinks back into existence (after 5 years).

Advice to Reese – WAER A BULLET PROOF VEST!!! Decima shoot to kill and you don’t have back-up anymore.

27. mike minter says:

Did anyone notice that zoe morgan returns next week? I saw a glimpse of her in next weeks preview. Sweet!

28. Joan says:

Too confusing. Love the characters, but it’s too dark(literally & figuratively)

29. I have followed POI since the first show, and love it and the characters. But I also may be alone in saying that enough with Samaritan, the little boy who is its mouthpiece and the Ian McKellen lookalike. I am bored with all of them taking over my show every week. PS — “Shaw” grew up in the small town next to where I live. I can imagine what the guys at her HS think of her now. :)

30. Coal says:

God bless Jonathan Nolan, he is truly an artist. I’m kind of glad this show hasn’t gained mainstream popularity, its still able to tell a compelling story without having to dumb done the product like most of the pop culture phenomenons.

31. Grace says:

Shaw is pretty much the only reason I watch the show. She’s awesome! Best of luck with the twins, but please come back soon

32. marie says:

WOW I HOPE SHAW COMES BACK SHES PART OF THE FINCH FAMILY FOR SURE

33. Rich Abey says:

After last week’s huge brain teaser of an episode, we get another of similar vein but with more resolution: namely an answer to what the hell happened to Shaw? (she is alive for one which actually makes the situation worse as she is probably gonna be used for some pretty nefarious stuff).
    The intriguing plot of the hour was the ant farm/Maple and Samaritain’s use of the town as a study device on humans…eek! (Glad I’m living in a city that’s financially stable and doesn’t rely too much on one particular industry). Compare Samaritain’s brutal education to the Machine’ more peaceful apprenticeship with Harold on the intricacies of human behavior and we have the crux of this whole big shebang.
    The Fusco/Silvia case was well done, giving some much needed focus on Fusco & more intriguingly on Siliva who might continue to be in the picture given that Root looks temporarily out of the picture.
    All in all another excellent episode to cap what has been an outstanding Season 4.

34. Rich Abey says:

Oh and this is like the 4th consecutive Person of Interest recap from TVLine! So thanks Matt for giving it more coverage this season cause it is a definite must-watch and one of the best shows on TV.

35. Stacy says:

I’m just glad that she is still alive the show wouldn’t be the same without her

36. derekhw says:

The machine disappointed me: she should known hers interface better, by now.
    She should have said “I can’t answer, I’ll search, stay put”.
    I hope that she’ll reach for Root in the future, or we’ll lose her too.

37. Mary Morris says:

Glad about Shaw but will miss Root.

38. I have a persistent illness and this app helps
    me to handle and stay knowledgeable about my various situations in addition to the signs and treatment of every one.

39. Hello mates, how is everything, and what you want to say
    regarding this piece of writing, in my view its
    in fact awesome for me.

40. Hi there everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at this website, and post is truly
    fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these types of posts.

41. Katlin says:

I hope Shaw returns to the team. She is kickass awesome and is a much needed member. I love this show so much and I don’t want to have to adjust to a new character in Shaw’s place. But I will continue to support this fantastic and amazing show.

42. .VLNkLiuUdMc says:

Generally I don’t read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take
    a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised
    me. Thanks, quite great article.

43. I believe what you typed was very reasonable. However, consider this,
    suppose you added a little content? I ain’t ssuggesting your information is not good, but
    what if you addedd something that grabbed a person’s attention? I mean Peeson of Interest Recap: STOPand Go — Shaws Fate Is Confirmed | TVLine iss a little vanilla.
    You ought to glance at Yahoo’s front page and see how they create post headlines to grab viewers to click.
    You migbht try adding a video or a picc or two to get people exciteed about everything’ve written. In my opinion, it would bring your posts a liftle bit more interesting.

44. lisamkeene87 says:

LOVE ALL THE CHARACTERS ON POI. GLAD THEY ARE ALL COMING BACK. AS FOR NCIS, I DON’TUNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN KILL OFF THE MAIN CHARACTER AND REPLACE HIM WITH JON CRYER. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TELLME YOU’RE JOKING. IT WAS BAD ENOUGH WHEN ZIVA LEFT,NOW GIBBS. YOU ”RE IDIOTS. ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST…