Ratings: 2BG, Molly, Donald Hit Highs; Gotham Low; Bachelor, NCIS: LA Rise

Mike Molly Ratings

Mike & Molly celebrated its 100th episode on Monday with 9.8 million total viewers and a 2.2 demo rating, rising 7 percent and a tenth to hit and tie season highs.

Opening CBS’ night, 2 Broke Girls (9.3 mil/2.4, up two tenths) also hit and matched season highs. Leading out of a Scorpion rerun, NCIS: LA (9.7 mil/1.7) was up two tenths.

Elsewhere….

ABC | The Bachelor (8.4 mil/2.5) rose 5 percent and two tenths, but Castle (7.5 mil/1.4) dipped a tenth.

FOX | Gotham (5.8 mil/1.9) dropped two tenths (to a series low), while Sleepy Hollow (4.3 mil/1.4) ticked down one tenth.

NBC | Celeb Apprentice (6.9 mil/2.1) rose 10 and 17 percent, hitting season highs for a regularly scheduled episode and scoring the series’ best numbers since Feb. 2012 and May 2012, respectively. (#Murrica!) State of Affairs (4.7 mil/1.1) ticked up to its most watched Voice-free outing, also adding a tenth in the demo.

THE CW | The Originals (1.47 mil/0.7) and Jane the Virgin (1.25 mil/0.5) both dipped in audience, while Jane also ticked down in the demo.

1. ... says:

Castle’s getting 1.4 out of a 2.5 and ABC is frothing at the mouth to bring it back, while Forever gets 1.0 out of a 1.5 and it’s been deemed dead. I know about the production situation (Castle is ABC – Forever is WB), but still, that’s beyond ridiculous.

• brandydanforth81 says:

It’s not just about Retrntion or studio ownership.Castle is in seven seaon getting those ratings while Foever is in season one & getting much lower ratings.Also,Castle makes money in syndication,Foever dosent and more episodes of Castle for syndication means more money for ABC while ABC wouldn’t make money from Forevers syndication were it to make it there

2. TicaTica says:

I hope somebody can explain something to me.How the networks REALLY know how many people watch a show? They only count families with Neisel boxes, how about the people that don’t have one. How can we get count?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It’s called a “representative sample.” If 10% of the people with Nielsen boxes watch Slippery Jim’s Wild West Variety Hour, then, theoretically, 10% of ALL viewers watch Slippery Jim’s Wild West Variety Hour.

• TicaTica says:

Thank, Matt :)

• John NYC says:

The trick is in that “theoretically”, it seems they deliberately try to get what they intend to be a representative sample so they can make the argument to the networks they are accurately reflecting the entire nation’s viewership: but by the very nature of making active decisions (rather than a somehow “random” sample like by randomly pulling M&M’s out of a jar and weighing them…) means there’s a chance they get it wrong. It’s like voter polling, there’s that “intend to vote” etc. modeling that goes into it. Get it right and bingo, get it wrong and such as when “random telephone calls” sample people and leave out all those who have “cut the cord” and only have a cell phone: means under counting a big chunk of specific demographics. Do that and CBS would even more rule the world… lol

• Nikki says:

And how do they count DVRs? I recorded Castle and NCIS last night, but haven’t watched. How do they count people like me, which is a number that is growing daily.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nielsen homes (and only Nielsen homes) report/and monitored for what they watch on DVR, within 3 (“Live+3”) and within 7 (“Live+7”) days — though the advertising community has only recently been assigning the slightest value to Live+7, since people are fast-forwarding the commercials and all.

3. Tran says:

I have a feeling that CBS should renew both 2 Broke Girls and Mike & Molly soon. This season’s 2BG in my opinion is much better than it did last season when they booked guest starring roles for Eric Andre, Gilles Marini and Mary Lynn Rajskub. With State of Affairs down to its last two episodes, this may or may not be the end of Katherine Heigl’s world as we know it.

4. Daniel says:

Gotham was not up, but in fact down to hit a series low.

5. Boiler says:

Blows my mind Trump and Bachelor do so well.

• wrstlgirl says:

Here’s the thing. Both shows, but mostly the Bachelor are hilarious. I would even go so far to say that The Bach is the funniest comedy on television. I don’t watch it regularly but when I do I laugh my a** off at these idiots.

6. Alex Mindev says:

I now networks can be greedy but increasing episode order on TV series, especially relatively new ones brings the overall ratings down. Why is that…I believe that when you have 10-13 episodes creatively and you are a 40 min show (not a 20 min sitcom), there is no room for fluff and “freak or case of the week” storyline episode to episode. The filler is limited or none at all. Shows like Gotham I believe needs to be 13 episodes per season max. Bruno Heller did an amazing job with Rome on HBO, there wasn’t one “throw away or filler” episode that took you out of the overall story. The main reason why I’m sticking with Gotham is not b/c I’m a fan of comic book characters like the ones in the Batman universe, or the stellar cast…but I had a feeling that Bruno Heller is going to once again shine as a story teller in a 13 episode schedule. Sadly FOX got greedy and extended the season, which probably forced the writers to alter the season 1 arc. Now the show is suffering ratings wise b/c honestly it feels like it’s just treading water creatively. Note the episode count.

• Patrick says:

Nets will never go to 13 eps. Syndication doesn’t kick in until there are 88 episodes. At 13 episodes it would take years to get to those numbers. The labor deals negotiated by actors, writers, producers, and crew state that their contracts are based on seasons, not numbers of shows. ie, all those groups (especially actors) would see their deals expire after 3-5 years. Now, at 20+ eps a season, there is a very real chance that a show will be in syndication, or close to it, when the original deals expire. If the show is a monster hit (Friends, TBBT), the net can negotiate new deals early, or extend at the end of the original deal, to secure a money maker well into the future. At only 13 eps a season, after 3-5 years a show would not be near syndication, which is a real moneymaker for everyone (even the broadcaster that doesn’t “own” the show). So the show would get much more expensive to make long before it started to generate huge profits.
      Frankly, if a show can’t maintain good quality for 20+ eps in a calendar season, then it wasn’t that good anyway. Shows under 20 eps shouldn’t be eligible for awards either. They should be listed as mini-series. Of course its easy to really distil quality down to 13 eps. I want more entertainment than that. Making a very few eps a year should be discouraged, not encouraged.

• Cory says:

A mini-series would be a series planned to tell a complete story in a set number of episodes. All cable series are “limited” to 8 to 13, sometimes 15 episodes a season. The broadcast nets will continue experimenting with shows that need shorter orders. To say they shouldn’t be eligible for awards because they produce 13 episodes instead of 22 or 24 is the most ludicrous thing I’ve heard since New Years.

7. wrstlgirl says:

It pains me so say it again but I am soooooo bored with Sleepy Hollow but I just can’t bring myself to can it yet.

• Katherine215 says:

It used to be must-watch tv for me, and I currently have 3 episodes sitting in the DVR. Not for lack of time to watch, either. I don’t know what happened to it, but I just don’t love it the way I used to. And I don’t even hate Katrina, either. So disappointing. :(

• John NYC says:

Yes, 4 for me….

• wrstlgirl says:

I find myself fast forwarding thru most of it. The writing is just so bleh and nothing ever really happens. I may just start reading the recaps and watch the finale. That’s what I’m doing with TVD and TO and I haven’t missed a thing.

• Ron says:

I’m not necessarily bored with it per se, but it most definitely has gone down in quality since season 1. Obviously I can’t be too sure, but I would venture that Fox increasing the episode count from 13 to 18 for season 2 had something to do with it. There wasn’t much filler in season 1; season 2 has had many things that feel like filler to me and bring the show down as a result. Five additional 42-minute episodes is a lot to have to write. I honestly think Fox made a mistake increasing the episode count. I wish networks would learn that the cable model actually works for a reason. I actually hope Sleepy Hollow gets a third season (though I won’t hold my breath). However, I hope Fox takes it back down to 13 episodes, and that the writers realize the direction they took season 2 was so divergent and unnecessary from that set up in season 1. I’m cautiously optimistic that a SH season 3 could bring the show back to its former glory.

• puredieselbc says:

“I hope Fox takes it back down to 13 episodes, and that the writers realize the direction they took season 2 was so divergent and unnecessary from that set up in season 1.”
        Yeah, that’s not gonna happen since most of the writers from season one left to go work on CBS’s Scorpion which has already been renewed.

It’s almost impossible to undo the jump once the shark has been crossed. Whatever SH had it’s gone.

• John NYC says:

OTOH sometimes a brilliant concept just doesn’t grow into a great second season.. Dark Angel comes to mind. Probably some things are just better as short stories instead of novels.

8. John NYC says:

NCIS: L.A. has been a nice surprise lately. Edging up to be my “first off the TiVo”…

9. kmw says:

CBS just keeps on rolling, even with a Scorpion repeat NCIS LA went up. I still think State of Affairs is gone. Castle didn’t go down too far, and I am sure next week they will be higher with the 3xx story. ABC wants Castle back because they do make money in syndication but also because even though their ratings have fallen, they have huge gains in DVR viewing. Forever probably does not do as well. As for FOX? I am very surprised about Gotham, but like Castle it is going to get good DVR numbers. Sleepy Hollow at least hasn’t dropped as badly as it did earlier, but people may be right that it should have stuck with less episodes

10. KN says:

I hope Jane doesn’t get canceled

11. HAP says:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I think that State Of Affairs has grown into a more compelling show. Don’t understand why more people don’t watch. That said, I get the impression from the self-contained plot that the show was designed as a limited series.

12. Tran says:

When I watched last night’s 2 Broke Girls episode, I noticed that Beth Behrs had her right hand all bandaged up because she got really really hurt when her hand got all sliced up while trying to take off the pit from an avocado. Unfortunately, that didn’t stop Beth from continuing to be on set and at work. Now her right hand is healing much better.

13. Betisa says: