Sleepy Hollow Recap: A Witch in Time

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Recap

I just knew [name redacted because it’s a huge spoiler so you’ll have to wait to read it after the jump] was up to no good!

I’m talking about Sleepy Hollow‘s Frank Irving, of course, who this week reveals himself to be every bit as much in Henry’s pocket as the contract he unwittingly signed in blood would have you believe.

Makes sense: When have you ever gotten out of paying a lawyer something he or she is owed?

In related news: Katrina, get yourself together! Just because you dress like Bad Willow doesn’t mean you have to act like her!

Let’s review what happens in “Spellcaster.”

BLOODY HELL | Employees at an auction house catalogue some newly arrived goods, including the journal of a famed magic scholar. But when the female employee is alone, all of a sudden a shadowy figure appears behind her. It’s a guy who kinda looks like Jagged Little Pill-era Alanis Morissette in a pilgrim hat, and he really, really wants that book. (Side note: It’s That Thing You Do!‘s Johnathon Schaech.) He slits his wrists (ew), speaks something that sounds like parseltongue and then grabs the journal. Meanwhile, the unlucky employee and the security guard who’s come to her aid grab their faces and scream. Sorry, guys, but U oughta know better than to engage with someone who’s so clearly a creepster.

RELATED Pilot Season ’15: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) New Shows, Who’s In Them

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION | Across town, a slightly panicked Abbie skids into a strange house and wonders why Ichabod has summoned here there. Turns out, he’s thinking about buying a house, and he wants her opinion on a three-bedroom Craftsman. Once Abs has decoded all of the realtor’s euphemisms and Ich has availed himself of a few mini-muffins, he admits that he’d need some very important things (a credit rating and source of income, for starters) before he can seriously start thinking about moving out of Corbin’s cabin and into a new place, “preferably with granite countertops.” (Heh.)

Abbie fills him in on the auction-house corpses, whose blood was boiled in their bodies, and shows him a photo of what was stolen. He recognizes it as the Grand Grimoire, a repository of some serious mojo, and suggests they consult their in-house magic expert for more info.

WITCH WOES | At the archive, Abbie has a friend from Quantico help with pulling Alanis’ image from the reflective surfaces in the security video. Though Ich is stymied by the “pix-ellls,” they’re all brought up short when Katrina — whose power is gaining strength the more she practices — recognizes the auction-house killer as the Rev. Solomon Kent.

The baddie, briefly: Kent was a Puritan pastor/powerful witch in 1690s Salem, Mass., and Katrina’s grandmother Helena was in his parish and in his coven. He accidentally killed the object of his affection, then did a spell that made her look like a demon so it would seem that he was doing the Lord’s work by offing her. Helena urged him to come clean, so he outed her as a witch and she was hanged. Boom, Salem witch trials. When Helena’s coven eventually caught up to Kent, they exiled him to Purrrrgatree, but he escaped when Moloch was killed.

Ichabod quotes Edward R. Murrow (Oh Crane, you already have my heart. No need to showboat.) and then notes that the grimoire is incomplete, by design: Kent will have to find the second part in order to achieve his goal, which Ich theorizes is to bring his Puritan ladyfriend back from the grave.

THE DARKNESS IN ME ACKNOWLEDGES THE DARKNESS IN YOU | The Witnesses and Katrina track Kent to a warehouse where he’s found the journal’s missing pages; before the action goes down, Ichabod asks Abbie if she’s thought about what the life ahead of them will be like. She says no, but then they agree that they have to fight for the good stuff in order not to lose their way like Kent did. Then, the evil preacher shows up and bitch-slaps them out of the way, mystically.

With both Witnesses down, Kent faces Katrina and tells her “If witches have agency in this world, it is because of meeeeeee.” (Side note: I have a feeling that statement would be way more badass if he didn’t do that weird flappy-arm cape move. Calm down there, high school drama club.) Then he summons two blood monsters to chase Abbie and Ichabod, cajoles Katrina into conjuring some dark magic (interesting, eh?) and escapes with the rest of the journal. Way to go there, Kat.

WELCOME BACK | Back at the cabin, Ichabod remembers hearing Kent say something about being a traveler, which jogs Abbie’s memory about a spell in Grace Dixon’s notebook. They piece together that Kent doesn’t want to bring his love back, he wants to open a portal through time and go back to her. This could possibly change both of their lives forever, so they — and Irving, at Abbie’s invitation — gather a bunch of stuff together to take Kent down. Oh, and Katrina takes a nap.

In the woods, Kent opens the portal, but a quorum of Team WTF takes him down before he can go back in time. They incapacitate him, then Crane starts whaling on him until Abbie pulls him off.

But where’s Irving, you ask? Oh, he’s just stealing the grimoire and breaking Kent’s neck, then lying to the Witnesses about it. Frank, I’m SMDH: Shaking my disappointed head. Later, Ichabod muses about Kent — “that a person could so easily betray the people who trust and rely on him most” — while Irving delivers the grimoire to Henry (!), who’s got his groove back after killing (?) some thugs in a motel parking lot, and Katrina tries out some magic but can’t stop herself from going dark. And by “going dark,” I mean “completely sucking the life out of the object of her spell and then turning it into dust while she goes all milky-eyed.” This should prove interesting as the finale rapidly approaches…

1. Sandra says:

It was a good episode and I truly loved seeing Crane bash the hell out of Kent for everything he’d done to he and his family. Irving wasn’t a surprise nor is Henry. I see Katrina harnessing the power and using it against her son somewhere down the line.

• Angela says:

I would be totally okay with seeing this happen. I liked seeing her using her magic this episode, even if it sadly didn’t quite work the way she wanted it to. At least she’s regaining some strength, so that’s a good thing…presuming she doesn’t wind up going dark side, that is.
      This made me laugh. But I thought Kent was suitably creepy as a villain-the stuff with the blood was truly disturbing, as was the whole thing with what he did to help kickstart the Salem Witch Trials, and killing off Katrina’s grandmother (nice special effects there with her, show). And I LOVED seeing Ichabod and Abbie face off with Kent later on. Good to see Ichabod getting so feisty, and Abbie’s idea with the generator to recreate nature was perfect. Watching Irving snap the guy’s neck was pretty startling, too.
      And speaking of Irving? Siiiiiiiigh. On the one hand I was sitting here being all, “No, no, no, no!” but he’s under Henry’s spell, so I can’t be totally upset with him specifically. I reserve my ire for Henry. Leave poor Irving alone!
      I wasn’t too wild about the idea of Henry being holed up in a motel all episode-the story with him was the weak part of the episode, but I did like seeing him getting back into evil plotting mode at the end. Even though it means he’s sucking Irving into his nasty plans. I’m really nervous about how this is going to play out as the season winds down…

• evababy says:

Katrina will not use her power against Henry. Remember she thinks Henry killed Moloch to her HER — not himself, or out of hatred for Moloch but to save HER — now way is she going against Henry. Henry is a mass murderer and she looks at him with Heart-Eyes. No way she’s gonna hurt him.

If anything, she is happy as a clam about getting more powerful to use it to “save” Henry. And in the end, if it comes down to another confrontation b/t Henry and Team Witness I’ll bet she’ll turn against Abbie & Ichabod before she’ll ever turn on Henry.

• sladewilson says:

^^^Exactly what I was thinking. It’s a set up for the finale – all “Empire Strikes Back” cliffhangerish…. The new bads would be Henry, Katrina and Irving since the last two hold a considerable emotional hold on the witnesses…..

• Absolutely. From what they are giving us as sneak peaks of the finale, that’s exactly where Katrina is heading…finally. I still think she should’ve been the big bad at the end of season one. It would’ve made perfect sense after her two hundred and whatever years in purgatory. We also wouldn’t have had to suffer through the whiny family drama, the leads would’ve never been separated, and the ratings probably wouldn’t have taken such a ridiculous plummet. Henry could’ve also been a part of the conspiracy, so win win.

Hopefully, where we are heading is not too little, too late.

• flo says:

If three is a season 3, the villain is going to be Katrina, and maybe Irving. I think that Ichabod will kill Henry, thus turning Katrina against him and push her over to the dark side. She will want revenge for her son and see Ichabod as a traitor. A couple people are supposed to die in the finale. I think it might be Henry and Abraham/Headless. I hope its not Irving. If Henry is killed that can release his soul so he can rejoin Team Witness, where we all wanted him to be in the first place.

The episode was good. A bit slow, but a good change of pace from being all over the place. I really wish the writers would push more sometimes. Katrina still could have done more with her powers.

2. Mally says:

Something was always off about Katrina. Wonder how her embracing her dark side will play out. That nose bleed can’t be good. The Ichabod and Abbie moment when discussing their futures (together?) can be interpreted in more than one way. The show is looking up. I knew Irving was going to turn, so it is bittersweet moment when he took that book.

3. Babybop says:

I always knew when Katrina got her powers back she would turn dark. This whole season has been about if someone can be saved from the dark side. Either that will play out in the finale through Irving or it will be played out through Katrina. Or both. i don’t see Henry having the capacity to be saved anymore.

4. DarkDefender says:

Happy to see John Noble playing a bigger part, but still think season 2 has lost some of the magic that made season 1 so stellar (ironic, I know).

• DarkDefender says:

Also, the two blood monsters looked suspiciously like Billith… Glad they were dispatched, post haste. Even though the special effects (lines/wires) on the 2nd one were visible when it exploded.

• gdv says:

I agree. S2 is nowhere as good as S1. I’ve expected the writers to turn Katrina dark this whole season. (In S2 part A, I thought she was going to give her soul to Moloch in exchange for Henry being saved. Now it looks like she’s just going to give in to her dark magic.) There’s a lot of rich storyline there, so hopefully the writers go for it soon. The show just isn’t as fun as it was in S1. They need to: Turn Katrina dark, kill Hawley, give Irving and Jenny more to do, and find some more fun moments (i.e. Yolanda scene, free water speech, etc.)

5. Alichat says:

“Katrina, get yourself together! Just because you dress like Bad Willow doesn’t mean you have to act like her!” Love this! Really wish Katrina had told Ichabod about Kent’s ramblings and her sudden onset of cataracts. I was really rather hoping that Henry was not going to be bad still. Irving I expected, but I was hoping Henry would be torn at least. So, uh, where is Headless?? Has he just been hanging out in that barn all this time?? Also……loved Ichabod’s Spidey reference!

• Hodan says:

I guess you can say Abbie should have known better than to trust Katrina’s magic. The only reason Abbie is trusting Irving right now is becuase he got a clean bill of health from Katrina. Abbie always trusting the Cranes will cost her one day!

• nubianrose89 says:

Well, Irving going bad could only really work if Henry was still bad. Don’t forget, HENRY is the one who has Frank’s soul. If Henry was good, Frank would most likely be good, too. Or not even there in the first place.

• Alichat says:

True. I think I just didn’t want Henry to be bad because I don’t like John Noble to be bad. Walter Bishop is a good guy! LOL!! In all seriousness though, I would like to see him reconsidering his feelings about Katrina and Ichabod. The fact he still called Moloch his father was disappointing.

6. MJ says:

Abbie is always trusting the wrong guys. First the angel and now Irving. She always throws in Ichabod’s face it needs to be about them but then she brings in people who can’t be trusted. I hate how she acts like she is more about being a witness than Crane is. I know I am probably alone in this but I do not like her character at times.

• sam says:

What are you talking about? Ichabod is the one, who talks about trust and their bond, only to turn around and backstab her and undermine her as a Witness. Abbie is more a Witness than Crane could ever dream to be.

• Lady T says:

really?…..All of this could have ended if Ichabod and his wife didn’t make about their epic love. The love is so epic that Ichabod and Katrina has make the worst couple on tv list TWICE.

• Half-Blood Princess says:

OK Abbie is always trusting the wrong guys? What about Ichabod siding with his wife ALL the time? How about all the times Ichabod sided with this worthless witch wife, even though he knew she was wrong? How about the time he tried to make her feel guilty for saving Corbin’s son who Ichabod’s son had cursed? What about all the times Ichabod went off on Abbie because he couldn’t have his way? My what selective memory you have.

• Angela says:

Instead of playing, “Who’s screwed up more”, how about acknowledging they’ve both made mistakes?
      It makes perfect sense to me why Abbie would trust Irving, or why Ichabod would want to trust Katrina-they’re both very close to those people. It’s only natural you want to believe the best of those you love and care about.
      I certainly grant that in Katrina’s case, she’s got many lies and secrets that make trusting her difficult, if not outright impossible…but hell, in real life there’s people who still stick around with someone who has lies and secrets. It’s fair to think Ichabod’s making a big mistake in trusting Katrina, there’s good reason why he should be wary, but it’s a realistic reaction all the same. And Abbie may have spoken up against her more often, but keep in mind, people, she’s defended her and worked alongside her on occasion, too, despite some of her skepticism.
      Nobody on this show is perfect. Everyone’s got their mistakes, their missteps, their misplaced loyalties. It’s fine to wonder why they’d put trust in this person or that person, or question their actions or motives, but the fact remains they’re all guilty in some way, shape, or form. It’s not a competition.
      Frankly, I think a lot of Ichabod and Abbie’s unusual behavior is likely tied to their time spent in Purgatory-I have a feeling being there affected them way more than they’ve realized.

• MJ says:

Yes Crane has made mistakes but Abbie throws them in his face all the time and he doesn’t do that with her. I am in the Ichabod/Katrina camp. I do want them to be together. Who doesn’t love a good love story that has lasted centuries.

I didn’t like the fact that she was shooting down his idea to get a house. I know there is a lot of bad going on in their world, but if he doesn’t try and have some sort of normal part of life being a witness will consume him.

I feel like Abbie just wants him to be all about her and their duty and hates that he would be with his wife or try and have a little life outside of witnessing.

• Tai says:

I didn’t see that as her shooting down his idea of having a house. I saw that as her pointing out there are going to be some serious logistical roadblocks to getting a house.

I’m far from a shipper. I enjoy the friendship between all the characters but I seriously cannot understand why anyone trusts Katrina at this point. The amount of times she’s lied or withheld vital information is just ridiculous. Also she told Irving he was just fine. That was clearly not true. I just can’t trust Katrina as a character.

• Lady T says:

You sound silly. The question should be why is he calling Abby to view a house instead of his wife? Yes, it is about the end of the world and all the duties that come with it. Like someone else put it….do you root for the woman who is trying to save the world or the woman who is trying to save the villains?

• Susannah says:

She wasn’t shooting down Ichabod’s idea of getting a house, she was doing what she’s always done from the beginning of the show, giving him information on modern life. You can’t get a house without a job or social security number or money. That’s why Abbie is the most important person in life, she helps him navigate the modern world, he’d be lost without her.

• Really? says:

Abbie is sooo selfish! Me, me ,me. And what about MY ancestors cry, cry and my silly Ninja sister cry,cry and my mom was in a hospital and stuff cry, cry.

• nubianrose89 says:

To be fair, she’s only trusting Irving because KATRINA said he was cool (either Katrina REALLY sucks at her job, or she’s dealing dirty). Abbie is making an admirable effort to include her for Ichabod’s sake despite her feelings about Katrina, so if you want to lay blame, this is really kind of his fault. But the thing I like about the show is that neither of them is perfect. They both make mistakes, they both forgive each other, which is what you do in a healthy, functional relationship.

7. sam says:

– And by “going dark,” I mean “completely sucking the life out of the object of her spell and then turning it into dust while she goes all milky-eyed.” – it’s a metaphor for what she does to the show.

8. pegasus358 says:

The thing that bothered me the most about this episode was how Katrina’s mother was already born in 1692-3. If Katrina was like 20-something at the time of the Revolution in 1776-1780-ish, she had to have been born in the 1750s, making her mom, what, like 60, when she had her? It seems that Helena should have been her great-grandmother at least, no? Anyone else wonder about this? Have we ever been told that witches have extended lifespans?

• nubianrose89 says:

Shhhhh! Don’t look too deep into the plot holes. You’ll drive yourself crazy.

• Lady T says:

Their making this stuff up as they go to justify keeping Katrina.

• t says:

you watch a show about a Headless Horseman and a resurrected 18th Century man. Why so many questions?

• pegasus358 says:

I can totally suspend my disbelief about the fantasy elements, but when so much of the show is based in history (not necessarily based ON history, but based IN history), you’d think they would have caught a thing like that. It’s just a nitpick.

• daezyg says:

Eh. There are women who have children at 60, and we don’t know much about Katrina’s childhood (or the aging process of witches for that matter… hmm…), so I assume Katrina’s mom died in childbirth, and Katrina was raised by the remnants of her mother’s coven.

9. flo says:

10. esgrant says:

I’m not sure if Frank irving is just a villian for the season – who else thinks it’s possible he could also be one of the other two horsemen (war, perhaps?)