The Big Bang Theory: Nathan Fillion to Appear as Himself

Big Bang Theory Nathan Fillion

The nerds of The Big Bang Theory are about to meet another of their idols.

Firefly captain turned Castle star Nathan Fillion will guest-star as himself in an upcoming episode of the CBS comedy, EW.com reports.

He will appear in the Feb. 19 episode, in which Raj and Leonard spot TV’s erstwhile Mal Reynolds at a restaurant and debate whether to ask him for a picture.Fillion, of course, has reached Geek God status with roles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog and the aforementioned, gone-too-soon Firefly, of which Sheldon is a huge fan.

Fillion is but the latest in geek cred-carrying actors playing themselves on TV’s No. 1 comedy, following in the footsteps of James Earl Jones, LeVar Burton and Wil Wheaton, among others.

Big Bang Theory Nathan Fillion

1. Padraig Tipton says:

Awesomesauce.

2. Tran says:

Rick Castle guest starring on TBBT? That’s freakin’ awesome.

• dman6015 says:

No, Mal Reynolds. Castle does not exist in the geek world, only Firefly.

• Jane says:

No, it would not be awesome. To quote dman6015 “Castle does not exist in the geek words, only Firefly.” These guys wouldn’t’ even notice Stana.

• Jane says:

This reply was for Mike.

• Mike says:

I really have no idea if Castle would exist in a Big Bang universe, because it is not real. However, for fun in a hypothetical universe, the Big Bang Theory would appreciate the Derek Storm Comics which would be written by Richard Castle, who is portrayed by Nathan Fillion in the same timeline as the real Nathan who is guest staring in the episode. Also, since a real life Nathan would be seen with a real life Beckett, Stana, who in their fictional world was the wife of comic writer Richard Castle she would recognized. However, if you looked at the Back to the Future II time line, Richard “will have had placed” himself in the cameo thus……..( on a separate note: Firefly should never have been canceled I get it and agree, but Castle is not a whipping post for the anger)

• Stormy says:

@Mike The guys would be more likely to recognize Stana from The Librarian Curse of the Judas Chalice.

• mike says:

It would be awesome if Nathan was eating with Stana in the scene plus the cross promotion and contracts. The topics could be fun and limitless. The guys could all focus on Stana, and Nathan could say something like, you always steal the focus from me, or she could say something on the order that if he focused on all his fan boy stuff he would be missing from the show for months, or we had so much fun shooting a western themed episode maybe we could do a show about the old west in outer space, one of them could add, it sounds great but they would cancel it no matter the ratings.

• fei says:

This would be a total miss with TBBT theme though, it’s not a Castle fan convention. Castle is a running show on a rival network, with nonexistent buzz. They’re playing to the geek crowd, so it’s all about Firefly.

• Patrick says:

The real fun would be if the guys geeked out over Firefly, while the girls were just as giddy about Castle. It would be real mirror so the guys could realize how they look when they geek out.

• Genevieve says:

Finally! !!! ;)

3. Charlie says:

OK, they have to get William Shatner to guest star. I say let Penny get another commercial, this time hawking some travel thing or another and have Shatner be the other person in the commercial – ripping off their Priceline commercials. Penny could be forced to introduce Bill to the guys and he could like her in spite of them.

4. Who do I have to bribe to get to that taping! ;-)

5. Luis says:

It’s wonderful the way TBBT has recruited sci-fi notables to send up themselves and the worshipfulness of sci-fi fans. Loved seeing Levar Burton, James Earl Jones and Stan Lee as themselves and look forward to seeing Nathan there.

6. Brendan says:

Shiny.

7. fei says:

I don’t watch TBBT anymore, but will tune in for this cameo, if only just to check it out. I hope they came up with something funny. Maybe they made him to be a jerk in a fun way? Seeing as they approach him in a restaurant and he doesn’t seem thrilled. Wonder where Sheldon is, he’ll get suicidal in case of missing Fillion.

8. Betisa says:

AWESOME!!! <3

9. maria says:

My favorite actor appearing on my favorite comedy? I think I’ve died and gone to tv heaven!!

10. Jay says:

So it’s just the Summer Glau plot over again. With less flirting…maybe

11. Ethel says:

this is going to be sooo good! Can’t wait to see my favorite hunk meet my favorite geeks. Surprised ABC would let him do this

12. James D says:

shiny! can’t wait to see Nathan’s wit against Sheldon’s craziness should be funny as hell.

13. Ro says:

Some people call him a space cowboy…

14. I remember when networks didn’t allow this kind of crossover. I’m glad it is happening. I love The Big Bang Theory and Castle.

• John NYC says:

Given TBBT’s monster numbers ABC probably saw it as a win for their show and CBS is going to do whatever keeps TPTB at TBBT happy so if they had a fun idea on how to play with Nathan: win-win!

• John NYC says:

Oh and since he’s going to be “playing” himself there’s not nearly the issue of conflict as it would be were he to be showing up as “Richard Castle”… now THAT across networks would be a tough one to arrange I expect., rarely done IIRC even when the show’s lineage is shared (Buffy, Angel.. ? others?)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There is always conflict, to some degree, when the lead of one show appears on a rival network. And I doubt anyone was truly suggesting he’d appear as “Castle.”

15. Genevieve says:

Finally!!!! ;)

16. John says:

Nathan Fillion is smarter and funnier than and character on Big Bang Theory. The show is not even close to funny now, Mr. Fillion’s humorous comments are funnier than an entire Big Bang current season.

17. lisa says:

Who cares. He is still hot!

18. Ella says:

AMAZING!

19. Famin says:

Please, please, please tell me Simon Helberg will be in that scene as well! Throw us DOCTOR HORRIBLE fans a bone please!

20. carbono says:

I just hope they write something funny for him this time. He was totally wasted on Community

21. Dj says:

The first episode of Tbbt that I watched had Summer Glau playing herself. Being a huge Firefly fan I can’t wait to see Mal on it.

22. Cici says:

I can’t wait to see Capt Mal on Big Bang!!!

23. 7joanna says:

Don’t forget Stephen Hawkins and his communications with Sheldon and the many references to him and his work and, obviously, his sense of humor regarding himself.

24. zully says:

Hi i watch big bang theory an a am a big fan of it is it possible to not keep repeaating the same episodes please am getting bored i want to watch more new episodes of this programme its really good and funny

25. Al Adams says:

Nathan Fillion as Richard Castle, is All I have Seen, Never Watched FireFly !, What ever That Was !! So I Know This Actor as He Plays Richard Castle on ABC, Which I Rarely Watch Now Days, I Believe That Has a Time Conflict with another one of My Regular TV Shows on another TV Service…

26. mourgos says:

It was a good clip. Fillion pretends he’s not Fillion, then he admits he is, but Raj won’t buy it and believes he’s a double. Raj is really annoying to Fillion. Hilarious.