New Girl's Zooey Deschanel Is Expecting — Will Jess Be, Too?

Zooey Deschanel Pregnant Pregnancy New Girl Season 4

Should New Girl‘s über-crafty Jess start knitting a pair of baby booties?

Following recent news that star Zooey Deschanel and fiancé Jacob Pechenik are expecting their first child this summer, sources confirm to TVLine that the Fox comedy will not write the pregnancy into the series’ storyline.

Deschanel is the second Fox actress — and member of her family — who’ll receive a visit from the stork this year. Her sister (and Bones lead) Emily Deschanel is expecting her second child; that pregnancy, like her first, will be written into the show.

New Girl fans: Would you have liked to see a pregnant Jess? Sound off in the comments!

1. James says:

Wow, what a story…

2. MK says:

So, so, so glad. I’m really thinking the Blind Item was about Mindy!

• Kay L says:

I really think it was about Mindy too- I can’t think of another show that fits. I’m really glad it’s not Jess, just because how on earth would they fit yet another person into the loft. Plus it could really mess with the dynamic of the show.

• Jess says:

It’s definitely Mindy. I’ve seen the episode titles, etc. It will be so interesting to see how the show develops the storyline. Plus, how funny will a pregnant Lahiri be? :)

• Matty says:

I actually think that a pregnant Mindy Lahiri will be funnier than Sofia Vegera’s pregnancy on Modern Family; which I think was mostly a wasted opportunity.

3. Thats a shame would have liked to have seen Jess dealing with pregnancy……………however it would only really be funny if like Nick was the father – so seeing him deal with being a dad, but sinceeeee i dont see the show ever putting them back together and especially not at the moment guess Im happy they arnt writing the pregnancy story in

4. Belle says:

No way…if any of the cast were to become a parent it would sink the show…maybe in a few years CeCe and Schmidt can be preggers :)

5. Ryan says:

Totally the right decision a pregnancy/baby would kill this show.

6. Drew says:

It’s probably for the best that they’re not writing it in. I do think that it’d be funny to have Nick become a father at one point, and totally rock the stay at home dad thing. It’d be funny if that was his calling all along, which is the opposite of what we’d expect of him.
    But that said, I don’t think that they need Jess to be the mother for that kid when it happens. I’d be cool with them never going back to that relationship. There’s nothing wrong with the people they’re dating now.

7. Diana says:

Oh boy, here come the oversized bags and lamps…

• the girl says:

When do they finish shooting the season? It’s possible she won’t be showing too much by the time shooting wraps.

8. Kristina says:

I’m glad, I don’t think making the character pregnant would be a good move.

9. kmw says:

It doesn’t make sense to write her pregnancy in only because they are almost done filming this season and she is not that far along in her pregnancy. Some pregnant actresses warrant being written in( see her sister on BONES) and some do not . She does not and it probably wouldn’t serve the show very well at this moment.

10. Tom says:

Not the right time for Jess to be pregnant

11. Nunyah says:

I think it would be hard to explain a pregnant women walking around on the show? She doesnt have a disease she’s pregnant and its a little more obvious if she’s huge and gorgeous but shes pregnant thats all I’m saying. Sorry if your butt hurt im putting logic into it. Doesnt make sense

12. Teresa says:

Yes they should write it into the show and figure out how she would deal with it.

13. Judy says:

I really wanted to see Jess pregnant it would have been really awesome

14. jes says:

I really like this show I wouldn’t have minded jess preggers it’s not like the charcter Wouldent have handled it . I think Nick and jess were adorable I was sad they broke it off . what’s wrong with a little romance

15. Madison says:

Yes! Anything to do with Jess and nick is my favorite