Pilot News: Problem Child, Based on 1990 Film, Ordered by NBC

Problem Child NBC Pilot

Every parent’s worst nightmare could soon become a reality on NBC.

The network has ordered a pilot based on the 1990 John Ritter movie Problem Child, which chronicles the “cat-and-mouse game” between a loving couple and their hellish (see photo) son.

Problem Child is being written by Scot Armstrong (Old School), who will executive-produce alongside Peter Traugott, Rachel Kaplan, Robert Simonds and Brian Grazer.

Your thoughts on Problem Child? Any casting suggestions? Drop ’em all in the comments section below.

1. MJ says:

This just reminded me of John Ritter. He was a great actor.

Don’t know how I feel about a tv show.

• Andy Swift says:

My thought is… A show about two parents with a wild kid is generic enough. Why not just make it and call it something else?

• S McMary says:

Agree. But I’m guessing NBC believes the tie in to the movie might make people more interested in watching it, even if the movie is 25 years old. TBH, the only thing it did for me was make me realize how much I still miss John Ritter.

2. Roof says:

Maybe Jason Ritter…

• Jen says:

THIS. I Woke up out of a dead sleep just to put this on here so I’m glad someone else thought that too! It would be amaxing if it was Jason! It would honor John’s legacy I think. If they can’t get Jason I’ll settle for Zach Braff. ;) maybe they can get JK Simmons as grandpa (or Greg T. Nelson isn’t tied up anymore) as far as the mom, I’m thinking maybe Christina Hendrix? Or possibly Ellie Kemper.

3. Stormy says:

So, it’s basically any Saturday at WalMart?

4. Jeremiah says:

This pilot season is now officially “move-remake” year.

5. kmayne says:

I really wish the networks could come up with something original

6. Matt says:

Way to strike while the oven is hot, NBC.

• dman6015 says:

That would be *iron*, not oven. It comes from Ye Olde Smithy Days, when the blacksmith had to strike the iron while it was hot in order to form what he was making.

7. Sydney says:

No John Ritter or Michael Oliver = No Problem Child

And didn’t they learn after that awful TV movie Problem Child 3 without the original cast. Also, how is this gonna work as a weekly television series? Smh

8. I’ll watch if it stars Amy Yasbeck, Gilbert Gottfried ,Michael Oliver ,and Ivyann Schwan. Any recasting will totally blow up the whole project for me.

• Jen says:

I agree with you that it would be good to have Any Yasbeck back at some capacity but she’s a little too old to play the mom now. Maybe a neighbor? Plus, in theory it would be great to get Gilbert Gottfried back in theory but I don’t think anyone can handle that on a weekly basis lol. Movie, yes TV I’m not so sure. ;)

9. hud says:

NBC. New Bright Creations. And it just gets better and better….

10. Karla goodman says:

Eric Edwards that played Murph should be the Dad!

11. dman6015 says:

It would be a fitting tribute to his father if they hired Jason Ritter as the father.

12. tsevca says:

Another one of those bad humor movies? Why?