Grey's Anatomy Recap: Going, Going Wrong

Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Recap

Laughter may be the best medicine, but it sure didn’t get prescribed a whole lot in the midseason premiere of Grey’s Anatomy. While Derek prepared for his move to D.C., lest he and Mer honor their “till death do us part” vow by killing one another, Jackson and April reeled from the revelation that their baby has osteogenesis imperfecta, and a mother drove off a bridge with her kids in the car. On a lighter note… well, keep reading. We’ll get to the lighter note when we get there.

PUTTING THE “GOOD” IN “GOODBYE” | Picking up right where the winter finale left off, “Where Do We Go From Here?” opened with Derek and Mer still fuming from their blowout. She was so livid, in fact, that she threw away their Post-It’d wedding vows. (Wow.) By the next day, he was gone, and she was looking for a nanny. When Owen sorta gently encouraged her to talk to Cristina, Mer admitted that she’d begun missing their regularly scheduled calls. Though she killed it at work – proving that insulinoma, not madness, had caused bridge-diving mom to take the plunge – she was simultaneously unraveling. “I need a person,” she said, breaking down in front of her potential nanny. A person “who is in it with me and believes in that.” But – and lighter notes don’t get much brighter than this – it turned out she already had a person: Derek. That evening, when we expected her to phone Cristina, she actually called her husband. “I don’t want to fight anymore,” she told him, “and I don’t want you gone.” Since technically he wasn’t gone yet – he was still stuck at the airport – he could come home for the night, he suggested. No, she replied. “In a good way, go. We can do this.” And, although his last words to her as his cell cut out were, “Meredith, I’m losing you,” it didn’t seem like he really was anymore. She even retrieved their Post-It’d wedding vows from the trash and rehung them, broken frame and all. (Great metaphor for love, eh?)

THE WORST OF TIMES | Having learned from Stephanie (off screen) that his and April’s baby was doomed, Jackson broke the news to his wife, who – in spite of the shock – immediately went back to work. When he had Owen pull her from surgery, she picked a fight with her husband, and in turn, he broke down in a supply closet in front of Richard. Later, she lit into Stephanie for not telling her that she’d seen something in that fateful ultrasound before telling anyone else, and raged at Callie over the injustice of a mother blessed with children driving them off a bridge, potentially to their deaths. When Jackson informed her that a tumor had taken away the mother’s control, April began to lose it. “Why would God let that happen?” she railed. Since that’s a pretty unanswerable question, Jackson moved to hold her, and she asked him not to. If he did, she’d start crying, she said, and she’d never stop. Sadly, the tears came, anyway. “Did I tell you it’s a boy?” she asked, sobbing. “We’re having a boy.”

HEAD CASE | Before Arizona had worked up the nerve tell her mentor that Amelia thought she could save her life, Herman found the scans of her tumor and deduced what Robbins had done. At first, it appeared that – broken laws be damned – Herman wasn’t pleased simply because Herman is never pleased. But in fact, she had a great explanation for her continued upset: Hope is the worst symptom of her condition. So she didn’t want any more of it, thank you very much. However, after Arizona blasted her for blowing off a chance that Jackson and April only WISHED their baby had, Herman had herself a weepy moment alone and finally let Amelia present her plan of attack. This is doable, Shepherd said. But “we need to do this now.” Though Herman agreed to the treatment, she insisted on waiting until the last possible moment. Until then, she was determined to keep teaching Arizona and living her life.

OK, so what did you think? Were you relieved that MerDer got a happyish ending, at least for now? Are you hoping Geena Davis will stick around long-term? Hit the comments!

1. Alyssa says:

When exactly was April looking at case studies all night? And there’s got to be a deleted scene between Richard and Avery, right?!

• amoviebuffhere says:

wouldnt she have been looking at the case studies the night he told her. She didn’t come home and Jackson didn’t think she was at the hospital that morning and was surprised when Owen said she had been there

2. Diane says:

Dear writers- stop having Stephanie and April in scenes together. April really needs to say nothing to Stephanie ever—
    Good grief.

• Sara says:

Stephanie was totally in the wrong. It bothered me since the winter finale that she didn’t tell April straight away.

• Emme says:

This is… oh my gosh. This … I can’t. Stephanie did NOTHING wrong but CATCH something that other doctor’s may not have caught. Seriously? Stephanie was in the wrong?!?!?!? My gosh! Stephanie treated April like any other patient and got second and THIRD opinions BECAUSE of how FATAL the diagnosis. Stephanie would have been NEGLIGENT to tell April at the moment. When you are being tested they tell you NOTHING, in the moment. Are you kidding me, Sara? Stephanie HAD to tell Jackson because he overhead her talking the Geena Davis’ character. Like how do you all find a way to fault… I mean… ugh! Sick…sick…

April was wrong and acting out. Stephanie was VERY right and now April’s precious child might be saved, likely, given the Geena Davis storyline.

Never fails.

• Anna says:

I don’t like Stephanie at all, but I completely agree. It would have been incredibly irresponsible for a resident who doesn’t know enough to make a definitive diagnosis to have freaked April out before consulting people who knew what they were looking at. That’s why she immediately talked to Arizona (former head of pediatric surgery) and the Geena Davis character (head of fetal surgery). Stephanie did what she was supposed to do in this situation. Unfortunately, Jackson overheard one of the conversations – otherwise they would have been told at the same time.

April, however, was in shock. She was just told that her unborn child would likely die, so it is understandable that she might say something that she wouldn’t otherwise say.

3. C says:

I don’t like the green screen. The story line is good, as usual, but its obvious that the actors are in front of a poorly chosen and directed screen.

4. Mick says:

Jesse Williams breaking down in the closet was beautiful they really need to give him more stuff to do. Also I love how this crisis really defined Jackson and April’s dynamics he is the caretaker she is the flower. I feel like he is going to explode at some point though. Also I would be pissed at Stephanie too in her capacity she was working as their doctor. To tell one parent about a dire situation without telling the other is horrible and divisive especially considering their history. Intent matters just as much as impact.

• Diane says:

Didn’t Jackson over hear her asking for a consult with the davis character? Then confront her? Isn’t he tech. Her boss? She didn’t seek him out. I don’t blame april for lashing out- I just think it doesn’t work when the target is Stephanie. All of them shouldn’t Interact ever… It could have been Jo/Alex etc.

• Sara says:

I loved your comment, it was beautiful. I want to see this make them even stronger as a couple in the end.

• Sara says:

My reply was put in the wrong place. I thought your comment was beautiful about them. I want this to make them even stronger in the end, whether the baby makes it or not. Please Shonda don’t make it a double tragedy by making them grow apart

• Emme says:

Stephanie can do no right. How people choose to no see how Stephanie was clearly not wrong, is honestly, beyond any reason. Like, it’s scary how people are ignoring logic to play into this APRIL innocence, EVIL Stephanie trope. I mean… Wow.

So no one believes Jackson told Stephanie that he’ll be the one to tell April. April didn’t even want Stephanie to do the ultrasound. Ugh… sick. Sick…sick..sick..

5. SUSO says:

Geena Davis has really become a wonderful part of the ensemble and her acting style meshes perfectly to Shondaland. Let’s hope she either sticks around or runs for Commander in Chief next on Scandal.

6. buttercupp85 says:

I really hope they play into Amelia’s back story here from private practice. Who would be a better person for April to talk to than the person who had a baby without (parts of) a brain and watched her child die minutes after birth? I loved that story on PP even though it was heartbreaking…

7. TinLV says:

OI is not always fatal.. sometimes it is only mildly deforming, sometimes its severe and fatal and other times its progressively handicapping.. it depends on the type… there are 8 distinctive types, not 4 as April said in the show.., . Symptoms vary with each type… Although fractures can occur in the womb, sometimes it’s not even diagnosed until repeated childhood fractures have occurred ( and it sometimes gets mistaken for child abuse). Its commonly called “brittle bone syndrome”.. So, the fate of the baby depends on how much trauma Shonda plans to put Jackson and April through. I hope she goes light on them….but there is plenty of leeway in this diagnosis for a writer..

8. Isak says:

Meredith breaking up was a beautiful moment. I feel like everything that happened in the last 2 season for Meredith led up to this point. Cristina gone, Derek gone…
    Ellen Pompeo was amazing.

9. EM says:

Not a light episode but excellent all around especially Pompeo and Drew.

10. Alia says:

Shonda you are very CRUEL.

11. Meh says:

What happened to this show? From Emmy contender to pure soap opera. My how the mighty have fallen.

12. Ally says:

I loved the episode, April and Jackson’s scenes were fantastic. I would like Amelia and Derick to reach reconciliation to the point where she calls him in to consult on Herman’s surgery (and not try to take over). Liked the Alex and Bailey scenes too. MerDer forever!

13. Lea says:

Damn, Ellen Pompeo was brilliant. That scene with the nanny was amazing.

The MerDer scene at the end was so good! They can do this, they are Meredith and Derek.

14. sassinak says:

geena davis in the bathroom. amazing, just amazing.

15. alabama says:

I think that April N Jackson’s baby should live, I don’t like that they are kiling the baby off.. April N Jackson should come out stronger as a couple despite the baby’s prognosis

16. Craig says:

Devastated for April and Jackson

17. Linda Foltz says:

I just think April should have stood up for herself when Stephanie came in to do the ultra sound. Seriously? April has to let the woman that slept with her husband before she did and who’s so jealous of her and her baby touch her? I don’t think so. April is a lot more spunky than this scene indicates. I’m disappointed that Shonda didn’t make her more assertive.

And when Stephanie did suspect something, she should have asked for a PRIVATE consult without giving any details. She knew that both April and Avery worked at the hospital. Stephanie is not acting very wise. And I HATE her fake false eyelashes. No resident would ever wear them in real life.

• Emme says:

Stephanie did no wrong. Your “logic” is so warped, it’s scary. I’m sure you “HATE” her false eyelashes. April was upset so we can give her a break, but people are psychotic if they are giving no credit to Stephanie for catching something so subtle that may save your precious April’s child.

Stephanie didn’t approach Arizona like, “This is April’s baby, check it out…”, and are you telling me the doctor’s are unaware of the need to be discreet?

Wow… it’s sad to see… people are really sick and think they’re making sense. Stephanie’s always got to be wrong, even when she has been HEROIC. Sick…

• Sam says:

Stephanie should never have done the ultrasound due to her involvemt as Jacksons rebound, and it was not professional for her to run around with patient medical info without showing it to Aprils OB doctor. It just seems as if she is put in awkward situations with Jackson and April alot.

18. Lisa says:

I’m glad that MerDer will make this work. If Derek, will be gone for awhile, that last scene will get me through. Amelia is annoying, I feel she overacts, she should consult her brother especially with him doing ground breaking work in DC, he could help with Herman. I hope they save Jackson and April’s baby.