Ratings: Special CSI Hits Season Highs, Agent Carter and CW Dramas Dip

CSI Ratings High

Leading out of an NCIS: New Orleans rerun (11.6 mil/1.6), a special broadcast of CSI on Tuesday drew 10.3 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating, up 24 and 33 percent from its Sunday double-pump to hit Season 15 highs in both measures.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Parks and Recreation (3.5 mil/1.4, 2.9 mil/1.3) and Marry Me (2.3 mil/0.7) were steady, while About a Boy (2.8 mil/0.8) dipped a tenth.

ABC | Leading out of a Shark Tank rerun, Agent Carter (4.6 mil/1.3) slipped 10 percent and two tenths.

THE CW | The Flash (4 mil/1.3) and Supernatural (2.1 mil/0.8) each dipped a tenth, hitting and tying season lows.

FOX | MasterChef Junior (5 mil/1.6) slipped 10 percent and two tenths.

1. ScrubsGuy says:

Was there a reason why Person of Interest was replaced last night instead of airing a repeat? Could this be an attempt to replace PoI since csi is doing similar ratings on Tuesday night?

• Tran says:

Don’t worry. POI will be back next week even though CBS put CSI for one night only to air a fresh episode.

• Grey says:

And I also think to test the waters.

• Bryan says:

Yeah they probably want to find another timeslot for CSI next season. I don’t think they want to cancel it. Those good ratings show CSI is not fitting on Sunday but still strong to be renewed. Just my opinion.

• mary says:

I doubt it. They had to air the 2 episodes that were pre empted because of football over runs(back to back on Sun & Tues). There was no other time for it, before the new shows air.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I would hazard to guess that this is an instance where a POI rerun would be jarringly incongruous with the current narrative. Plus, CBS obviously has CSI episodes to get out there, given Sunday’s double-pump, this Tuesday airing and the season-ending Feb. 15 double-episode. (Plus, of course, they’ll gladly take 10.3 mil/1.6 > the last POI repeat’s 7 mil/1.0.)

• Grey says:

Also, there seems to be a pattern with CBS. Almost any time they reduce the episode order for a show they cancel it in the spring. Three examples, “Numb3rs,” “Medium,” and “CSI Miami.” CBS reduced “CSI’s” episode order from 22 to 18 this season. Don’t be surprised if they cancel it come May and are currently in the process of burning off some episodes.

• dan says:

10.3 million is pretty good for a show they’re supposedly burning off. Don’t count CSI out yet (you may ultimately be right, but last night’s episode shows there is still life in the show)

• Jared says:

Although I don’t personally think CSI is doing bad enough to be cancelled, it’s still an expensive show for CBS especially if CSI Cyber puts up similar ratings when it debuts. In that instance I can see the network renewing that instead.

2. Tran says:

OMG!! CSI has risen in numbers on a special night but people are still worried about the future of the series and where does it go from here. CBS better do something before the upfronts come May.

3. Grey says:

I’m going to miss you “Agent Carter.” You’re a hell of a gal but networks only cares about the bottome line.

As for “CSI” all of it’s competetion was repeats. It’s the last few dog days before February sweeps. Viewers are desparate for something new to watch. “Agent Carter” was during the 9PM hour and did have some new competetion from a couple of the other networks. But a new “CSI” is better than nothing new at all.

4. Dean says:

This shows that CSI still has some fight left in it. But with Nick leaving and with someone else dying I’m not sure for how long.

5. ... says:

About a Boy builds from Marry Me again, which never happens with 9:30 comedies. Why NBC is content to throw it away, I’ll never know.

• Chris says:

Because it’s there second lowest rated comedy and either marry me or about boy was doing good with a voice lead in plus a .8 is good on the cw not on nbc …. Yet

6. Boiler says:

We can only hope Shark Tank gets over exposed. Bunch of egomaniacs

7. Maryann says:

I hope CBS takes notice of the increased ratings for CSI when it wasn’t on Sunday night. Guess it doesn’t matter though, with them burning the episodes off before sweeps and not trying it in any other weekday timeslots to see if this was a fluke. I for one will miss the show.

• Michelle Marquis says:

If they are going to end CSI, I would still like to see CBS give them a final season like they did with the Mentalist.

8. Iakovos says:

CSI could survive another year on the Eye. And why not? Yes, it is tired but like good comfort food, worth another helping. Rather have that than another CRIMINAL MINDS. Give it a final season and out with some pride unlike what NBC did with its storied L&O original. CSI was never a Sunday show. ABC has a good thing itself with AGENT CARTER. I like ti better than AGENTS OF SHIELD. Could be a nice 8 PM adventure show (only smarter) as we had in the days of WONDER WOMAN and BIONIC WOMAN and HULK. NBC’s gem is ABOUT A BOY. Sorry the Peacock cannot seem to find its once Midas touch with comedy. Is anyone else over these high concept dramas with convoluted plot twists and such? Not sure they really work for the long term.

9. KRM says:

The CW shows didn’t even run in my market (Maine) last night. I set my DVR but they put on infomercials by accident instead. That sure doesn’t help the numbers!

10. Dunia says:

I think if CSI hit season high yesteryda is because the CBS producers and TPTB are testing the waters if is better for CSI to return again to weekdays in order to renew the show and if they are going to cancell it maybe they want to do it during weekdays not in a weekend. The move to Sundays was the worst mistake CBS has done so far. But I guess they did not learn their lesson when they cancel CSI Miami, because CSI MIami was moved also to Sundays so Hawaii 50 could take the time slot CSI Miami had on Mondays after the move to Sundays, CSI Miami was doomed since the beginning and eventually it paid off: it got cancelled.

11. arial2 says:

Only CBS has the depth to be planning to cancel a show that drew more than 10 million viewers. The other major networks are probably so jealous. I think CSI has done a remarkable job recruiting great actors as new cast members, after losing William Peterson and Marg Helgenberger. *shakes head*

• Roma says:

I believe that Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue are doing a good job as lets say leaders of that team plus Morgan and the other 2 lab guys and the doc. If they wil add new cast members to replace Nick exit and the other guy who will die, I know it wont be the same without Nick and the other dude, but the show will be fine. Actors come and go from shows and sometimes the show move on with the new actors but in case of CSI I have noticed that they always take the time for the actor to get ready to leave and the precise time they leave so the change is not sudden so viewers know the actor is leaving so the story can run smoothly withouth a hitch or a very rough change, cause we already know it will happen so we start to get used to the change.

12. Gerald says:

Flash and Supernatural were both great last night. Their lows are still pretty darn high. It doesn’t look like Supernatural is getting a recap so my comment on the show is this…
    If Charlie was in Oz for so long how does she know who Rocket and Groot I think she was in OZ when Guardians came out. But it was still a great line :)

13. DavidSask says:

Is Agent Carter on the way out?

14. Jim J. says:

A 1.6 demo rating? I’m impressed by this. All this speculation and worry about original CSI getting cancelled after this season has got me hoping that CSI: Cyber will end up a flop. CSI: NY’s order for season 8 got reduced, but was renewed anyway (upon the cancellation of CSI: Miami).

They gotta have at least one CSI series to have a decent/proper series finale episode, and I think Vegas would be the right choice since it helped CBS get back to first place and was THE top drama until being surpassed in that role by NCIS in 2009. Even though it’d be an absolute miracle at this point.

Are we waiting for a miracle… or a tragedy?

15. lsperling says:

CSI was always a good show and did well until they put it in the death slot after Sunday Night Football. Bring it back into prime time and you’ll see how well it does.

• Tarasin says:

I agree with you, CBS doomed the show the moment they put it to air on Sunday. Not many shows survives Sundays there are exceptions like The Good Wife. Look what happened with CSI Miami, it also failed. They need to put it back to prime time before making the decision to cancel it for bad ratings. GIve the show a chance. I know that without Nick and the other one character who will be killed, the show wotn be the same, I will miss Nick like when Grissom and Catherine left but Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue are doing a good and the supporting characters are a good back up for them. CBS should get rid of some reality tv shows that are not even worth watching cause they are dumb and nonsense, instead of canceling good tv shows. Really Shark Tank? Undercover boss?? There should be a network exclusively for only Reality TV shows made in the US, I mean all and all reality shows should fall from all current networks even cable should be in that special network, so they wotn take time and space in the regular networks for good shows that cant find a place because the networks are saturated with realtiy TV.

• lsperling says:

I agree with much of what you said. I think The Good Wife survived because it was on earlier. Anyone who has to go to work on Monday morning can’t stay up forever to watch a TV show. I don’t know why they don’t play football earlier in the day so they’re done by 6 PM. I was surprised to hear that Nick is leaving. I thought everything was good once he signed a new contract. I really liked Marg Helgenberg, but I’m not crazy about Shue or Fox.

16. michael dobey says:

They cancelled csi Miami and it had good ratings The reason was it was a expensive show to make and they wanted to make room for new shows with that money. This may be the fate of csi. I hope not but I have not heard of any network EVER burning off three episodes in one week and not cancelling a show. plus they are showing two for the final night. most likely THE FINAL NIGHT of csi. I will miss the show personally. but they will probably use the money to make newer shows.