Agent Carter Bosses Discuss Peggy's Triple Life (and New Love?), Stark's Secret Agenda and a 'Hopeful' Finale

Agent Carter Spoilers

When last we tuned into Marvel’s Agent Carter, Peggy’s plan to get Howard Stark’s bundle of “bad babies” into the right hands took a wrong turn, losing an SSR colleague his life.

With the ABC drama resuming its eight-episode run tonight at 9/8c, TVLine invited showrunners Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas to discuss Agent Carter’s journey to the smaller screen and share intel on the women and men in Peggy’s various worlds.

TVLINE | What was your charge from Marvel in putting this show together? What were you invited to do with Agent Carter (played by Hayley Atwell)?
MICHELE FAZEKAS | When we came on board, the pilot was already written, and we were just finishing up [running] the first season of Resurrection. There weren’t any real specific mandates, and the pilot really laid out what the world was.

TVLINE | But as we’ve seen, the pilot suggested the show was about what it’s not really about, hunting down weekly gadgets.
TARA BUTTERS | That was something that came out of a mini-camp with [exec producers Christopher] Markus and [Stephen] McFeely, Michele and I and Chris Dingess.
FAZEKAS | One of the things I believe came from ABC was they didn’t want an episodic show, they didn’t want it to be Gadget of the Week or Bad Guy of the Week, which is such a nice change from five years ago. I think that because of the influence of cable and DVR and binge-watching, they’re not afraid of continuing storylines.
BUTTERS | Also, her true mission is, “How do I save my friend Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper)? How do I fix this situation that he’s in?” And the nice thing about the bad babies is it gave us a threat for a period of time, but I love how the story progresses from [this episode] on.
FAZEKAS | Initially, ABC was like, “We really want to see how she trying to balance her personal life and her professional life.” And Peggy actually has a triple life, because she has her personal life in the Griffith Hotel, she has her life in the SSR, and she has her secret mission within the SSR. But as it turns out, we were never told, “We need to see more of her at home and with her friends.” We once had an idea for Episode 3, where it’s like, “Oh, she goes out for a girls’ night,” and we threw that out because she’s not going to do that when this big huge thing is happening. It just doesn’t fit, and ABC was fine with that. They let us take the show where the story takes the show.

TVLINE | Coming out of the last episode, where Krzeminski has just died — what is Peggy feeling?
BUTTERS | Guilt. She thought the best thing to do was get Stark’s technology in the hands of the SSR, but it inadvertently put Krzeminski at risk, and she feels to a certain degree responsible. There’s that nice moment when she learns what happened from Sousa (Enver Gjokaj), where he says, “Who would call this in?” And she says, “A concerned citizen…?”
FAZEKAS | The stakes have changed now, they’ve gotten a lot more serious. The episodes that come subsequently really reflect that, where you’re sort of “on the train” toward the end.
BUTTERS | You learn more about Leviathan and who’s behind all of this…
FAZEKAS | You learn what Howard Stark’s other agenda is. You saw the clip they showed [at the TCA press tour]….Agent Carter Spoilers

TVLINE | I can’t imagine what gets revealed in that scene, because Peggy seems almost on the verge of tears — and she’s one tough cookie.
FAZEKAS | And that’s only a third of the scene!
BUTTERS | We had to cut it [for TCA] because the next part gave away something. I remember seeing the dailies and literally making my husband [Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim] look at it.
FAZEKAS | One of our A.D.s said, “We shot the first take of that and we could’ve been done,” both of them were so good. It’s a riveting scene.

TVLINE | Are there plans to actually see Jarvis’ wife Anna? Or will she be only the occasional off-camera voice?
FAZEKAS | There are no plans to see her — but she is a real person. I have seen the Twitter theories and I can confirm that she’s a real person. He loves her, and what I love about the Jarvis/Peggy relationship is Jarvis (James D’Arcy) would never cheat on his wife — he adores her — but he still has such chemistry with Peggy.
BUTTERS | He has an affinity for her. And I love how that character relationship grows throughout the season. It reminds me of the first couple seasons of The X-Files, how because of the chemistry between Mulder and Scully, you really believed they cared about each other but it wasn’t sexual. That was very refreshing.

TVLINE | Between Peggy’s neighbors Angie (Lyndsy Fonseca) and Dottie (Bridget Regan), are you able to confirm that at least one of them is who she presents herself to be?
FAZEKAS | Um, yes. [Pauses to reconsider answer] I will say there’s more to people than you assume there is. That’s what I’ll say. [Laughs]

TVLINE | As we saw in Captain America: Winter Solider, Peggy eventually gets married. Is Season 1 going to startAgent Carter Spoilers hinting at a possible husband?
BUTTERS | Our hope always was that you would meet [Agents] Sousa and Thompson (Chad Michael Murray), these very different men….

TVLINE | Oh gosh, don’t tell me it might be Thompson. He’s such a heel.
BUTTERS | Here’s the thing: You find out more about him in the next couple episodes. And you might be surprised. You will absolutely learn things about [the agents at the SSR] that I hope puts characters in a different light for the audience.

TVLINE | Do you have any Marvel-caliber, super-vague tease for the season finale?
BUTTERS | “Stay to the very end.”

TVLINE | What will viewers be feeling in its final two minutes?
FAZEKAS | Hopeful. And a little bit of sad. Everybody goes through the wringer! [Laughs] But there’s somewhat of a resolution in Peggy’s personal journey.

TVLINE | Will I walk away thinking, “If the show gets renewed, I know what Season 2 is about”?
FAZEKAS | No, I don’t think you will.
BUTTERS | But there’s a really great moment at the end.

TVLINE | Do you know what Season 2 is about?
BUTTERS | We have ideas! [Laughs] We love writing this character and love being in this world so much, we have a lot of ideas of where we would like to go in Season 2, knock on wood.

Want more scoop on Agent Carter, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Maryann says:

I love the idea of her ending up with Agent Sousa. The other guy just makes me cringe.

• Maya says:

I’d love to see her with Sousa as well.

• The Kaibosh says:

Ultimately it could be either of them or none of them. Either way they both represent 2 halves of what Steve Rogers was. Sousa is shown as more thoughtful and sensitive yet determined despite his disability. He resembles skinny Steve. Thompson looks more like the square jaw all American action type: much like Captain America himself. Peggy will see these qualities in both of them and be drawn to them both. But obviously neither of them will be Steve. What we do know for sure is this: in Captain America The Winter Soldier the old interview in the Smithsonian of Peggy in 1951: she talks about a tough winter during the war when Captain America helped break a siege and saved hundreds of soldiers. One of which turned out to be her future husband. We as the viewer won’t know for sure who it is until on the show one of them says something like: “I remember that winter during the war. I was in that siege and Captain America saved us”. That’s when we’ll know who it is. Although finally in the first episode Thompson said he was with the marines on Okinawa. The assumption has always been that Captain America fought Nazis in Europe. If that is the case then by definition Thompson would be ruled out.

• John NYC says:

The war was long enough, and Okinawa so close to the end, that a soldier could have served in both theaters.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto, after VE Day, the war in the Pacific still had to be won.

• The Kaibosh says:

While I agree with you and John that the war in the Pacific was still raging we don’t really know for sure what Thompson did. After VE day demobilization plans revolved around the points system to demobilize as many troops as possible to get home and to bolster forces in the Pacific which by May 1945 Japan was already on its way to defeat. There were plans to send troops from Europe to Japan but they never fully materialized when the Atomic Bombs were dropped and Japan surrendered in August 1945. So while its very possible for Thompson to have fought in both theaters of war, I would submit that his throw away line about being on Okinawa is just that. A one off comment that from the writer’s perspective is not meant to be more complex than it is: that he fought in the war in the Pacific. From that point it would appear that he is not one of the soldiers that Captain America saved that winter.

• murley says:

I would love her with Sousa as well if for no other reason than I love Enver Gjokaj and I want more story for him to play!

2. Amber says:

What teases! You can’t compare Peggy and Jarvis with Scully and Mulder and then expect people to root for Sousa or Thompson. Just saying. So in that sense, if it can’t be Jarvis, then please let it be someone else entirely from those two!

• Katherine215 says:

Agreed! Though I have to say, I never got a “just friends” vibe in the first couple of seasons of Xfiles. To me, those two always wanted each other.

• Amber says:

Oh exactly! They were definitely friends, but the love between them was far and above platonic. What people forget is that while the relationship wasn’t about sex and lust, it was still about romantic idyllic love.

3. herman1959 says:

Wait, isn’t that a picture of Howard Stark in Peggy’s room in the women’s hotel that DOESN’T allow men above the first floor? This should be good.

4. Peggy Carter Fan says:

I hope there is a Season 2, even if it is only 8 episodes. Something is better than nothing. I really like this character and want to see more. Speaking of Skully and Mulder – Elrey has been showing the X-Files and a few weeks ago showed Season 1 and into Season 2. After watching again, there is definately the beginning of a romantic connection between them, especially when the X-Files was shut down and they were separated. It is very subtle, but there.

5. Liz says:

Disney/ABC should start a line of Peggy Carter clothing! I’m loving all of her costumes. And Sousa is adorable! I love Enver. I was actually kind of glad Krzeminski was killed, after the comment to Sousa about how Peggy would never like a guy with crutches after having Captain America I knew he was not a nice guy. Glad we have one less chauvinistic pig in the office.

6. CM says:

Everyone’s rooting for Sousa or Thompson, but I’m honestly hoping Peggy turns out to be bi and Angie gets to be the love interest.

7. trenton says:

There is so much to like about this show. The new apartment mate played by the confessor is just a guess a Russian spy… codenamed Grandma Blackwidow. Sousa is infinitely more likeable and human but where is the chink in the armor. Could be a ward 2.0. Thompson could be the jackass who changes after Peggy saves the day. In reality neither of them could be her husband. She could be single or unmarried until she gets the green light to head up shield. It would definitely be a crazy dark turn if pegs married a secret hydra agent. Never knowing it but with her being in a position of power would be someone you would target. Would make forma hard villain say her offspring for Steve. Someone he would have to save verses eliminate.

• Adam says:

Possible spoilers if you don’t know this already. But her offspring isn’t a villain, at least not her granddaughter. Agent 13, Sharon Carter who is played by Emily Vancamp in Captain America the Winter Soldier.

8. Justin says:

I really dont get the love for agent carter. Usually when people fall in love with a show I dont like its just whatever different strokes, but seriously? Who cares about a girl with no super powers in the MARVEL universe? We are talking about Marvel here, with a seemingly infinite lineup of super powered heroes or villains. Id rather watch a show about a villain than this femme nikita type crap, girl dresses slutty and uses a really tiny gun routine.

• danyelle says:

Wow that was only slightly misogynistic and slut-shaming (IF anyone on the show WAS a slut/dressing slutty, yet isn’t). How goes the love life there Justin, wanting a “woman” with a “big gun”?

• thecatbastet says:

What Steve Rogers-adjacent characters would you suggest MARVEL use in a tv show set in the 1940s? Bucky’s whereabouts were already accounted for, so you got Peggy and you got Howard, and some of the commandos. There are no supes to choose from.

And before you complain about the very idea of setting something in the 1940s, hello, that’s the entire purpose of this show. It’s a miniseries set in a historical period there to provide some foundational info on the main series. In this case, AoS and the films.

• Brigid says:

First off this is the 1940’s and no one is dressing slutty. Second, she pretty much started SHIELD, so it’s kind of important. Third, she rarely uses a gun but instead kicks some serious butt with just her killer fighting moves.

9. Rose says:

Loving this show! It needs to continue. Honestly I’m liking it a lot more than SHEILD. Way better characters, plus I love the time period. Can anyone help me out with some questions though? I’m having some trouble with the age math here. What year are we meant to assume that Tony Stark was born? Because in 1945 it seems like Howard Stark was like 30 years old, at least. But Tony is meant to be, what, 40 or so in the present day? That would mean he was born somewhere in the 70’s. But Howard would have been like 60 … I mean I know it’s not unheard of, but it’s pretty strange. Especially when most people in the 40s and 50s were getting married and having kids by age 30. Just curious how that is all meant to work out …

10. lame're says:

ABC has a winner in Agent Carter, let’s hope TPTB realize the perfect replacement if they pull the plug on Castle and if not make room on a night not opposite the NCIS meat grinder..

11. vane says:

am loving carter and am really seeing her chemistry with both of them. cant wait to see who see stays with I really hope theres a season2!!